"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves."
—Claude Adrien Helvetius (1715-71) French philosopher, encyclopedias
- Japanese PM Abe dissolves parliament Fri, 21 Nov 2014 06:57:49 GMT
- Japan's PM Shinzo Abe dissolves parliament paving the way for a snap election in December, as local media polls show a low level of support.
- US to press Turkey over IS role Sat, 22 Nov 2014 05:14:18 GMT
- US Vice-President Joe Biden is to meet Turkey's president, aiming to push for a bigger Turkish role in the fight against Islamic State.
- Colombia general 'free next week' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:14:38 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebels will release five captives, including Gen Ruben Dario Alzate, next week, President Juan Manuel Santos says.
- Benghazi report clears US response Sat, 22 Nov 2014 02:22:13 GMT
- A US inquiry finds no wrongdoing by the Obama administration in responding to the deadly 2012 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
- Obama defends immigration reform Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:22:14 GMT
- US President Barack Obama vows to press for further immigration reform, as Republicans condemn his use of executive powers on the issue.
- Police and NHS phone lines restored Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:05:40 GMT
- Non-emergency police and medical phone lines have been fixed, Vodafone says, after technical problems disrupted services for several hours.
- Labour 'still party of working people' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 06:22:46 GMT
- Ed Miliband insists Labour remains the party of working people, while accepting one of his MPs was disrespectful to them.
- NHS staff flying out to fight Ebola Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:06 GMT
- The first NHS volunteers are preparing to fly from London to Sierra Leone to help in the fight against the deadly Ebola virus.
- Balcony collapse victims named Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:12:58 GMT
- Two Polish men who died after a balcony collapsed in west London on Friday are named as Tomasz Procko, 22, and Karol Szymanski, 29.
- Day in pictures: 21 November 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:31:30 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 21 November
- In pictures: Snow chaos in north-eastern US Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:54:20 GMT
- Snowstorm hits north-east of the United States
- Picture power: Bird flu Fri, 21 Nov 2014 01:38:24 GMT
- The story behind the picture
- In pictures: Mike Nichols films Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:34:30 GMT
- A glimpse at the work of film director Mike Nichols
- Day in pictures: 20 November 2014 Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:08:45 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 20 November
- In pictures: Scarcity and Waste Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:11:28 GMT
- Finalists of Syngenta Photography Award