"If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it? Good God, we also would be happy if we had no books and such books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."
—Franz Kafka (1883-1924) Austrian writer, The Metamorphosis, The Trial
- Africa urged to act over Boko Haram Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:55:59 GMT
- African states should act quickly and collectively to curb the growing threat posed by Nigeria's militant Islamists, the African Union chief says.
- Obama attends India's Republic Day Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:56:43 GMT
- President Barack Obama begins the second day of his visit to India by becoming the first US head of state to attend the Republic Day parade.
- Litvinenko 'killed on third attempt' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:00:04 GMT
- Two prior attempts to kill ex-Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko may have been made before he died from radiation poisoning in 2006, the BBC has learned.
- Missing Mexico journalist found dead Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:29:33 GMT
- The body of Mexican journalist Moises Sanchez, who was abducted by gunmen on 2 January, is found in the town of Medellin de Bravo in Veracruz.
- Mubarak's sons released from prison Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:25:41 GMT
- The two sons of Hosni Mubarak are released from jail, a day after the fourth anniversary of the uprising that ousted the former Egyptian president.
- Device triggers White House alert Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:42:18 GMT
- A flying device known as a "quad copter" triggered a security alert when it landed in the grounds of the White House, a US official says.
- Crime victims let down, says review Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:04:45 GMT
- Victims of crime in England and Wales are still being let down by the justice system, says an independent review by Victims' Commissioner Baroness Newlove.
- Miliband to pledge longer care visits Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:01:47 GMT
- Labour leader Ed Miliband is to set out details of Labour's "10-year plan" for the NHS, including longer homecare visits, in a speech in Trafford.
- Man charged with machete murder Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:49:48 GMT
- A man is charged with the murder of a 19-year-old man, who died in a machete attack outside a pub.
- Fracking moratorium rejected by MPs Mon, 26 Jan 2015 20:01:52 GMT
- MPs overwhelmingly reject a bid to suspend fracking for shale gas - but agree to Labour proposals to impose new conditions.
- Taking the plunge Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:54:51 GMT
- Cold Water Swimming Championships
- In pictures: Church of England's first woman bishop consecration Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:40:06 GMT
- Church of England's first female bishop
- In pictures: Australia Day 2015 Mon, 26 Jan 2015 06:10:08 GMT
- The country celebrates its official national day
- Week in pictures: 17-23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:51:44 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- In pictures: Saudi King Abdullah mourned Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:40:28 GMT
- Ceremony hours after Saudi King's death