"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Nigeria court backs prisoners' vote Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:31:39 GMT
- A court in Nigeria rules that all prisoners should be able to vote, with general elections looming in February 2015.
- Appeal against Mumbai suspect bail Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:21:41 GMT
- A Pakistani government prosecutor says he is challenging the bail granted to a man accused of being behind the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
- Belarus moves to protect currency Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:03:28 GMT
- Belarus's central bank moves to protect its currency by imposing a new tax, as it feels the knock-on effects of the fall in the Russian rouble.
- US Congress threat to Cuba thaw Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:55:31 GMT
- Opponents of President Barack Obama's new Cuba policy threaten to block his efforts to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years of hostility.
- Talks 'failed to save IS hostage' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:59:52 GMT
- Details emerge of an attempt to secure the release of kidnapped US aid worker Abdul-Rahman Kassig before he was killed by Islamic State militants.
- Plea by parents of Aurora accused Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:19:26 GMT
- The parents of James Holmes, the man charged with killing 12 and injuring 70 in a 2012 Colorado theatre massacre, have pleaded he be spared the death penalty.
- Toddler's parents cleared of murder Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:43:21 GMT
- The parents of Levi-Blu Cassin are cleared of his murder at Birmingham Crown Court - but convicted of causing or allowing his death.
- Killed PC 'may have been recognised' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:52:18 GMT
- An off-duty PC who died after being attacked in Liverpool city centre might have been recognised as an officer, the chief constable says.
- Dalglish recalls Hillsborough mayhem Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:56:16 GMT
- Former Liverpool player Kenny Dalglish has described the "mayhem" during the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.
- Man, 80, jailed for teen acid attack Fri, 19 Dec 2014 19:17:28 GMT
- An 80-year-old man is jailed for 18 years for masterminding an acid revenge attack on his teenage ex-girlfriend.
- Week in pictures: 13-19 December 2014 Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:42:43 GMT
- News photo from around the world
- Day in pictures: 18 December 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:31:09 GMT
- Images from around the world: 18 December
- Your pictures of the year 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:52:07 GMT
- A selection of the best readers' photos
- In pictures: US-Cuban relations Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:53:41 GMT
- Story of Cuba's relationship with the US