"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- Dickens' desk saved for public view Sun, 29 Mar 2015 02:37:21 GMT
- The desk where Charles Dickens wrote Great Expectations is finally on public display thanks to a £780,000 grant.
- UN to investigate ex-chief's death Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:56:35 GMT
- A UN panel is to start investigating the mysterious 1961 death in a plane crash of its former Secretary General Dag Hammarskjold in Zambia.
- Japan extends North Korea sanctions Tue, 31 Mar 2015 03:02:45 GMT
- Japan extends sanctions against North Korea for two more years, citing no progress in talks on abducted Japanese nationals.
- French elections see swing to right Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:21:03 GMT
- Local elections give a big boost to France's conservative UMP, led by ex-President Nicolas Sarkozy, and inflict a bruising blow to the ruling Socialists.
- Death toll from Chile floods rises Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:51:13 GMT
- The number of people killed in flash floods in northern Chile rises to 17 while the search continues for 20 people still missing.
- Dozens dead near Yemen refugee camp Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:47:55 GMT
- At least 40 people have died in a blast near a refugee camp in western Yemen, aid workers say, but officials deny Saudi air strikes were the cause.
- Boston bombing prosecution rests Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:58:03 GMT
- The prosecution in the Boston Marathon bombing trial rests its case against defendant Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, charged with 30 counts related to the attack.
- Parties focus on economy and health Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:15:05 GMT
- Pledges on the economy, businesses and mental health are expected from Westminster's party leaders as general election campaigning continues.
- E-cigarette use 'high among teens' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:00:53 GMT
- A substantial number of teenagers are experimenting with e-cigarettes, even those who have never smoked, a study suggests.
- 'End cuts and rebalance economy' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:38:57 GMT
- Plaid Cymru will use its influence in a hung parliament to "unleash Wales' economic potential", party leader Leanne Wood says, as the party launches its election manifesto.
- More veterans seek mental health aid Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:45:59 GMT
- A mental health charity which treats military veterans says referrals have increased by 26% in the last year.
- Election 2015 in pictures: 30 March Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:47:45 GMT
- Parliament is dissolved and the race for No 10 begins
- Your pictures: Docks Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:44:05 GMT
- Readers' photographs on the theme of docks.
- Week in pictures: 21-27 March 2015 Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:02:40 GMT
- A selection of the best news photographs from around the world, taken over the past week.
- Kathmandu graffiti Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:08:49 GMT
- The walls of the Nepali capital come to life