"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Iceland paper published back to front Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:20:19 GMT
- An Icelandic newspaper publishes an issue back to front in honour of its audience's traditional reading habits.
- Moles dig for history in Denmark Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:04:10 GMT
- Moles are being used by a museum in Denmark to help gather information at an archaeological site.
- Ebola nations 'need huge aid plan' Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:49:29 GMT
- Liberia's president calls for an aid package for the Ebola-affected countries of West Africa along the lines of the post-WWII Marshall Plan.
- Delhi police block gang rapist film Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:14:02 GMT
- Police in India secure a court injunction blocking the broadcast of an interview with one of the Delhi gang rapists on death row.
- Russians bid farewell to Nemtsov Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:54:44 GMT
- Thousands of Russians bid farewell to murdered Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov during his funeral in the capital Moscow.
- Brazil judge suspended over Porsche Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:54:18 GMT
- A judge in Brazil is suspended from an insider trading case against tycoon Eike Batista, after he is seen driving the billionaire's Porsche.
- Fierce clashes around Iraq's Tikrit Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:25:03 GMT
- Fierce clashes are taking place in and around the Iraqi city of Tikrit, as soldiers and militiamen attack Islamic State positions, officials say.
- Target to cut several thousand jobs Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:45:55 GMT
- US retail giant Target plans to cut several thousand jobs as it tries to slash $2bn (£1.3bn) in costs over the next two years.
- Workers' pay 'below pre-crisis level' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:22:23 GMT
- Incomes for those of working age are still below pre-crisis levels, according to research by the Institute of Fiscal Studies (IFS).
- UK government sells Eurostar stake Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:07:46 GMT
- The UK government says it is selling its 40% stake in the cross-Channel train operator Eurostar to an Anglo-Canadian consortium for £757.1m.
- Farage 'rejects immigration targets' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:59:31 GMT
- The UK Independence Party will not adopt "arbitrary" immigration targets, its leader pledges, having said net annual migration should be capped at 50,000.
- Two still held over Becky 'murder' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 06:54:56 GMT
- Police have until this afternoon to question two people suspected of murdering Bristol teenager Becky Watts.
- In pictures: Dealing with addiction Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:01:08 GMT
- David Stewart's pictures of people coping with addiction
- Day in pictures: 3 March 2015 Tue, 03 Mar 2015 12:53:08 GMT
- Images from around the world: 3 March
- Geneva Motor Show: What to look out for Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:00:17 GMT
- Models to keep an eye out for at Geneva Motor Show