"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Fishermen net WW2 mustard gas bomb Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:44:23 GMT
- Fishing cutter catches unexploded bomb in its net off the Danish island of Bornholm in the Baltic Sea.
- Chad 'forces Boko Haram from town' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:53:03 GMT
- Chad's army has driven Boko Haram militants out of Malumfatori town in north-eastern Nigeria, a senior official from Niger tells the BBC.
- Amir's spot-fixing ban ends early Thu, 29 Jan 2015 07:24:19 GMT
- Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir can return to domestic cricket in his home country following a review of his five-year ban.
- EU to debate fresh Russia sanctions Thu, 29 Jan 2015 05:16:33 GMT
- EU foreign ministers are due to meet in Brussels to discuss imposing further sanctions on Russia amid an upsurge in fighting in Ukraine.
- Argentina's Nisman 'feared guards' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 07:51:02 GMT
- Argentine prosecutor Alberto Nisman, who died in unexplained circumstances, borrowed a gun as he feared for his security, a colleague says.
- Skull clue to exodus from Africa Wed, 28 Jan 2015 19:43:49 GMT
- An ancient skull discovered in Israel could shed light on the migration of modern humans out of Africa some 60,000 years ago.
- US Supreme Court blocks executions Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:59:44 GMT
- The US Supreme Court postpones the executions of three death row inmates who say the use of the sedative midazolam in the procedures is cruel.
- More school grades dip amid changes Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:37:39 GMT
- The number of state secondary schools in England considered to be underperforming more than doubles in a year.
- Flights resume at snow-hit airport Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:07:31 GMT
- Flights resume at Manchester Airport after heavy snow resulted in services being suspended.
- Serious jail assaults at decade high Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:40:52 GMT
- The number of serious assaults in prisons in England and Wales reach their highest level for at least a decade, figures from the Ministry of Justice show.
- Teacher killer loses sentence appeal Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:24:26 GMT
- Will Cornick, who murdered Leeds teacher Ann Maguire, loses his appeal against his 20-year minimum jail sentence.
- Your pictures: City skylines Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:50:51 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "city skylines"
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January
- Shetland celebrates Up Helly Aa Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:37:46 GMT
- Shetland's spectacular annual re festival
- In pictures: Post-War office buildings listed Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:36:35 GMT
- Striking buildings new to the National Heritage List