"If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it? Good God, we also would be happy if we had no books and such books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."
—Franz Kafka (1883-1924) Austrian writer, The Metamorphosis, The Trial
- Person held after Edinburgh incident Sun, 26 Oct 2014 01:40:16 GMT
- A person has been detained by police after an incident in central Edinburgh which led to part of the city being cordoned off.
- 'Record number' of low-paid Britons Sat, 25 Oct 2014 23:00:43 GMT
- A record five million UK workers are now in low-paid jobs, a rise of 250,000 in the last year, research from a left-of-centre think tank suggests.
- Labour row: Salmond blames Miliband Sat, 25 Oct 2014 23:10:14 GMT
- Ed Miliband is to blame for Johann Lamont quitting as leader of the Scottish Labour Party, Alex Salmond has claimed.
- Day in pictures: 23 October Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:36:21 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 23 October
- In pictures: Ottawa shootings Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:03:13 GMT
- Images from outside the Canadian parliament
- In pictures: India celebrates Diwali Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:27:42 GMT
- Indians celebrate Diwali, the biggest Hindu festival
- Day in pictures: 21 October Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:38:53 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 21 October
- What the floods did to Kashmir's grand heritage Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:56:22 GMT
- What floods did to Kashmir's most treasured historic sites
- In pictures: Derry in 1969 Mon, 20 Oct 2014 05:36:19 GMT
- Battle of the Bogside in 1969 by Gilles Caron
- Lynda Bellingham: Career in pictures Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:12:36 GMT
- Actress Lynda Bellingham's career on screen
- In pictures: Kashmir floods aftermath Sun, 19 Oct 2014 22:33:55 GMT
- Aftermath of worst flooding in Indian-administered Kashmir
- What's the appeal of a caliphate? Sat, 25 Oct 2014 23:05:58 GMT
- Why the idea of a single Muslim state keeps coming back
- What's been lurking in the Baltic Sea? Sat, 25 Oct 2014 23:05:02 GMT
- What's been lurking beneath the waves in the Baltic Sea?
- In pictures: Feline focus Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:05:39 GMT
- Online exhibition celebrates the photography of cats
- Jose Mujica: Rebel turned president Sat, 25 Oct 2014 23:23:29 GMT
- A look back at Jose Mujica's time as president