"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket."
- Muhammad Ali is 'vastly improved' Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:39:37 GMT
- The condition of boxing legend Muhammad Ali has "vastly improved" since he was taken to hospital with pneumonia, his spokesman says.
- Carrick is England's best - Ferguson Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:39:42 GMT
- How 12 days of Christmas have become 12 pubs Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:19:56 GMT
- Dublin's pubs are experiencing a new phenomenon - the 12 days of Christmas have turned into the 12 pubs of Christmas... visited all in one night.
- Teaching winter to new US refugees Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:07:55 GMT
- Thousands of refugees arrive in the US each year, and those who end up in chilly Minnesota have to learn about what to expect for their first winter.
- Japan's 'solo' weddings Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:39:44 GMT
- A travel agency in Japan has started organising bridal ceremonies for single women.
- 'Injured parrot' was Christmas hat Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:00:17 GMT
- A woman is left "mortified" after calling in the Scottish SPCA to rescue an injured parrot that turned out to be a Christmas hat.
- IMF cuts blamed for Ebola spread Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:09:33 GMT
- Spending cuts imposed by the International Monetary Fund may have contributed to the rapid spread of Ebola in West Africa, UK-based researchers say.
- S Korea holds cyber drill after hack Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:49:58 GMT
- South Korea's nuclear plant operator is to conduct drills testing its ability to withstand a cyber-attack, after a data leak and threats from a hacker.
- Catalan leader probed over vote Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:34:52 GMT
- Catalonia's President Artur Mas is placed under formal investigation for his role in the Spanish region's unofficial vote on independence.
- Argentine town bans beauty contests Mon, 22 Dec 2014 01:50:23 GMT
- A town in Argentina becomes the first in the country to ban beauty queen competitions in its traditional festivities, arguing they are sexist.
- Oil price fall 'not Opec's fault' Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:54:12 GMT
- Oil-rich Gulf states vow not to cut crude production, blaming speculators and producers outside the Opec group for falling prices.
- Muhammad Ali ill with pneumonia Sun, 21 Dec 2014 05:19:30 GMT
- Former three-time heavyweight champion boxer Muhammad Ali has been taken to hospital with a mild case of pneumonia, his spokesman says.
- Two men charged with PC's murder Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:22:05 GMT
- Two men are charged with the murder of off-duty Merseyside police constable Neil Doyle.
- Child abuse inquiry overhaul urged Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:38:27 GMT
- Dozens of child abuse survivors urge the government to scrap an inquiry into historical abuse and replace it with a more powerful body.
- Child sex abuse police officer jailed Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:24:06 GMT
- A Cambridgeshire police officer who committed a series of rapes and child sex attacks is jailed for 14-and-a-half years.