"Learning is acquired by reading books; but the much more necessary learning, the knowledge of the world, is only to be acquired by reading man, and studying all the various editions of them."
—Philip Dormer Stanhope Chesterfield (1694-1773) [4th Earl of Chesterfield] English politician, writer
- I nearly drowned in chocolate Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:55:30 GMT
- A Syrian refugee tells how he nearly drowned in a lorry of melted chocolate as he tried to enter the UK.
- Porpoises use 'sound searchlights' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 00:12:58 GMT
- Porpoises finely adjust the size of the beams of sound they use to hunt - using sound like a searchlight to trap their prey, a study finds.
- Dickens' desk saved for public view Sun, 29 Mar 2015 02:37:21 GMT
- The desk where Charles Dickens wrote Great Expectations is finally on public display thanks to a £780,000 grant.
- African comedian replaces Jon Stewart Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:16:02 GMT
- Comedian Trevor Noah will replace Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, it is announced.
- Myanmar drafts ceasefire with rebels Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:33:21 GMT
- Myanmar's President Thein Sein witnesses the signing of a draft ceasefire agreement between the government and 16 rebel groups.
- MH17 appeal for Buk missile witnesses Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:08:00 GMT
- A team investigating the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane over eastern Ukraine appeals to witnesses who saw a Buk missile launcher in the area.
- Death toll from Chile floods rises Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:51:13 GMT
- The number of people killed in flash floods in northern Chile rises to 17 while the search continues for 20 people still missing.
- Dozens dead near Yemen refugee camp Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:47:55 GMT
- At least 40 people have died in a blast near a refugee camp in western Yemen, aid workers say, but officials deny Saudi air strikes were the cause.
- One dead after shooting at NSA Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:30:05 GMT
- Officials say two men dressed as women tried to break through a security gate to the National Security Agency headquarters.
- Election focus on economy and health Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:30:37 GMT
- The Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems make pledges on employment, taxation and mental health while being pressed for more details on planned cuts and tax rises.
- B&Q set to close about 60 stores Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:12:46 GMT
- Kingfisher, the owner of DIY chains B&Q and Screwfix, is to close about 60 B&Q stores in UK and Ireland over the next two years.
- E-cigarette use 'high among teens' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:00:53 GMT
- A substantial number of teenagers are experimenting with e-cigarettes, even those who have never smoked, a study suggests.
- 'End cuts and rebalance economy' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:38:57 GMT
- Plaid Cymru will use its influence in a hung parliament to "unleash Wales' economic potential", party leader Leanne Wood says, as the party launches its election manifesto.
- No work, no football in time of Ebola Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:44:49 GMT
- How Ebola still affects love lives and wallets
- Election 2015 in pictures: 30 March Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:47:45 GMT
- Parliament is dissolved and the race for No 10 begins