"Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book, If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for."
—Alice Walker (b. 1944) American writer, Meridian, The Color Purple
- Rare bear cub found outside circus Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:12:51 GMT
- A rare two-week-old Asiatic black bear cub is found abandoned in a box outside a Russian circus.
- Lesotho votes in snap elections Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:53:31 GMT
- Polling ends and counting is under way in Lesotho, in a snap election aimed at resolving political tensions after an attempted coup last year.
- Supreme India crush outclassed UAE Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:45:05 GMT
- India bowl out United Arab Emirates for 102, the lowest total yet at the World Cup, before racing to victory in 18.5 overs.
- UK 'must prepare for Russian threat' Sat, 28 Feb 2015 06:35:11 GMT
- Russia has become a danger to Britain and the country must be prepared to take steps to defend itself and its allies, the former head of MI6 says.
- Patagonia forest fire chief sacked Sat, 28 Feb 2015 20:28:43 GMT
- The head of Argentina's national fire control agency is sacked as a huge forest fire threatens a renowned national park in Patagonia.
- Egypt lists Hamas as terrorist group Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:43:32 GMT
- An Egyptian court designates the Palestinian group Hamas as a terrorist organisation, accusing it of supporting an insurgency in northern Sinai.
- US avoids homeland security shutdown Sat, 28 Feb 2015 05:53:02 GMT
- Lawmakers in the US avoid a partial shutdown of the Homeland Security Department after passing a one-week funding extension two hours before a deadline.
- Terror tactics 'flawed' - Davis Sat, 28 Feb 2015 15:32:50 GMT
- The intelligence agencies are accused of using flawed tactics after it emerged they were aware of the man dubbed 'Jihadi John' before he went to Syria.
- Two arrests in missing girl search Sat, 28 Feb 2015 20:32:36 GMT
- Two people are arrested in connection with the disappearance of 16-year-old Becky Watts who is missing in Bristol.
- First-time buyers get 20% discount Sat, 28 Feb 2015 12:46:02 GMT
- First-time home buyers aged under 40 in England can now register to buy new homes at a discount of up to a fifth off the normal price.
- Cyclist, 15, killed in stab murder Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:26:34 GMT
- A 15-year-old boy was fatally stabbed when three men attacked him while he was cycling with friends, police say.
- Week in pictures: 21-27 February 2015 Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:56:41 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- Halfway in 24-year photo project Fri, 27 Feb 2015 08:50:50 GMT
- Photographers recording the first 24 hours of each year
- Day in pictures: 27 February 2015 Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:22:17 GMT
- Images from around the world: 27 February
- Your pictures: Gardens Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:13:02 GMT
- Readers' photographs on the theme of gardens