"All of us can think of a book... that we hope none of our children have taken off the shelf. But if I have the right to remove that book from the shelf -that work I abhor- then you also have exactly the same right and so does everyone else. And then we have no books left on the shelf for any of us."
- Saudi health minister sacked Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:00:57 GMT
- As Saudi Arabia dismisses its health minister, the Mers virus death toll continues to rise.
- Skin cancer rates 'surge since 70s' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:32:58 GMT
- The incidence of the most serious skin cancer is now five times higher than it was in the 1970s, figures show.
- Atletico Madrid 0-0 Chelsea Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:17:10 GMT
- Chelsea hold Atletico Madrid to a goalless draw in Spain to leave their two-legged Champions League semi-final evenly poised.
- The man who takes troubled youths to therapy camp Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:06:17 GMT
- As more and more families send their drug and alcohol-addicted kids to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US, more and more become acquainted with the shadowy figure known as the "escort."
- Rome's international community of the dead Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:14:42 GMT
- Alan Johnston has been exploring a corner of Rome that always lies just a little beyond the world of Catholicism.
- S Sudan rebels in ‘multiple attacks’ Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:29:13 GMT
- Rebels in South Sudan are involved in fierce fighting with the army in several areas of the country, the military spokesman tell the BBC.
- Buddha tattoo Briton held in S Lanka Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:36:06 GMT
- The Sri Lankan authorities order the deportation of a British tourist because she has a tattoo of the Buddha on her arm.
- Malta criticised for mass bird shoot Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:51:59 GMT
- A leading British naturalist accuses Malta of failing to prevent large-scale illegal shooting of migratory birds by hunters.
- Colombian tribute to Garcia Marquez Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:50:42 GMT
- Colombia honours its most renowned author, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, in a ceremony at the capital's cathedral, less than a week after he died aged 87.
- Yemen identifying dead 'militants' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:44:56 GMT
- Yemen is carrying out DNA tests to identify suspected militants killed in air strikes in recent days, amid reports they include al-Qaeda leaders.
- Facebook boss wants women to act Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:58:38 GMT
- Facebook's highest-ranked woman says women need to take action to create a more equal world.
- Three children found dead in London Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:46:31 GMT
- A woman is arrested after three children are found dead at an address in south London.
- A&E data 'shows fall in violence' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:52:39 GMT
- Violent crime is continuing to fall in England and Wales, according to a major annual project examining injury data gathered from NHS hospitals.
- UK non-Christian claims 'absurd' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 02:51:17 GMT
- The UK is a Christian country and those who deny it are "deluding themselves" and ignoring "reality", say two senior Conservative MPs.
- Renewable energy projects approved Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:53:36 GMT
- Eight renewable energy projects, expected to support 8,500 jobs, are given the green light by the government.