"Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts--the book of their deeds, the book of their words and the book of their art."
—John Ruskin (1819-1900) British writer, art critic, Modern Painters
- Nigeria declared free of Ebola Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:48:44 GMT
- The World Health Organization declares Nigeria officially free of Ebola - hailing it a "spectacular success story" - after six weeks with no new cases.
- Scans reveal cause of winter blues Tue, 21 Oct 2014 01:21:11 GMT
- Scientists say they have identified the underlying reason why some people are prone to the winter blues, or seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
- Pistorius faces five-year IPC ban Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:51:35 GMT
- Paralympic chiefs say Oscar Pistorius cannot compete in IPC events for five years after he is jailed for killing Reeva Steenkamp.
- Real's Bale misses Liverpool game Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:52:07 GMT
- Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale misses Wednesday's Champions League game at Liverpool because of a thigh injury.
- On the tracks of Australia's last record maker Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:21:50 GMT
- How discs are pressed at the only record company in Australia with a vinyl press.
- Scandalous tales from the British embassy in Paris Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:16:37 GMT
- Hugh Schofield reveals the colourful history of the British ambassador's residence in Paris - courtesy of the butler.
- Bashir seeks to extend 25-year rule Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:57:04 GMT
- Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir will stand for re-election next year, an aide says, despite previous claims that he would quit after 25 years in power.
- Gough Whitlam dies at the age of 98 Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:11:50 GMT
- Former Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam, credited with transforming Australian society in the 1970s, has died at the age of 98.
- Total boss dies in Moscow air crash Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:28:27 GMT
- Christophe de Margerie, chief executive of French oil company Total since 2007, has died after his plane crashed during take-off in Moscow.
- Rewards for Mexico missing students Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:38:29 GMT
- The Mexican government offers rewards totalling $4.75m (£3m) for information leading to the whereabouts of 43 missing students from Guerrero state.
- Fresh fighting in key Syrian town Tue, 21 Oct 2014 06:36:48 GMT
- Fierce fighting breaks out in the Syrian town of Kobane, ending two days of relative calm after defenders pushed back Islamic State militants.
- Exiled Nazis collected US benefits Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:47:32 GMT
- The US has paid dozens of exiled Nazi war criminals millions of dollars in social benefits after forcing them to leave the country, a new report finds.
- Woman dies after being hit by tree Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:59:27 GMT
- A woman dies and another man is in hospital after they were hit by trees blown over in separate incidents in high winds in London.
- Pregnant duchess appears in public Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:02:49 GMT
- The Duchess of Cambridge makes her first public appearance since announcing her second pregnancy.
- UK man 'killed fighting in Syria' Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:54:44 GMT
- A British man who travelled to Syria to fight with Islamic State group has been killed, his mosque says.