"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Baby success for new 'safer' IVF Tue, 18 Jun 2013 01:19:34 GMT
- In a world first, a healthy baby has been born using a "safer" new IVF method.
- 'Quiet epidemic' of UK male cancer Tue, 18 Jun 2013 01:08:00 GMT
- Action is needed to fight a "quiet epidemic" of oesophageal cancer, which is on the rise in the UK, particularly in men, say cancer experts.
- Campbell-Brown given provisional ban Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:03:30 GMT
- Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica is provisionally suspended from competition after testing positive for a banned substance.
- Venus Williams to miss Wimbledon Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:22:14 GMT
- Five-time singles champion Venus Williams is forced to pull out of Wimbledon because of a back injury.
- Does a child die of hunger every 10 seconds? Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:48:21 GMT
- It's a shocking statistic that a child dies of hunger every 10 seconds, very good at grabbing headlines. But is it true?
- How the US-EU trade deal affects you Tue, 18 Jun 2013 01:10:53 GMT
- What might the US-EU trade deal mean for Americans and Europeans?
- Mali signs peace deal with Tuareg Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:47:59 GMT
- Mali's government signs a peace deal with Tuareg rebels to end conflict in the north in the run-up to elections next month.
- Australian jailed for Meagher murder Wed, 19 Jun 2013 03:34:17 GMT
- Australian Adrian Bayley is jailed for the rape and murder of Irish woman Jill Meagher, with a minimum jail term of 35 years.
- Russian Duma backs gay adoption ban Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:32:23 GMT
- MPs in Moscow back a bill banning adoption of Russian orphans by foreign gay couples and by foreign singles from countries allowing gay marriage.
- Arrest in US football dribbler death Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:26:22 GMT
- An Oregon motorist suspected of fatally running down a US man on a quest to dribble a football from Seattle to Brazil for charity is arrested.
- G8 backs urgent Syria peace talks Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:34:33 GMT
- G8 leaders back calls for Syrian peace talks to be held in Geneva "as soon as possible", without mentioning the fate of President Bashar al-Assad.
- US surveillance 'foiled 50 plots' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 00:50:29 GMT
- The head of the US electronic spying agency tells Congress surveillance programmes leaked to media helped thwart 50 attacks since 2001.
- Food labels system to be rolled out Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:10:55 GMT
- A new consistent system of front-of-pack food labelling is to be introduced in the UK, the government says.
- 'Excessive' use of face-down restraint Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:04:06 GMT
- Ministers are considering a ban on face-down restraint in English mental hospitals as figures show the technique is being widely used.
- Minister hails 'web porn' progress Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:59:56 GMT
- Ministers say agreements reached with internet firms will lead to a "fundamental change" in how images of child abuse are dealt with online.