"A book is a friend; a good book is a good friend. It will talk to you when you want it to talk, and it will keep still when you want it to keep still; and there are not many friends who know enough to do that."
—B. A. Billingsly
- Wii games 'help control diabetes' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:11:23 GMT
- Playing 'active' computer games can help people with type 2 diabetes better control their blood sugar, a medical trial finds.
- F1 to double points for final race Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:47:12 GMT
- Drivers will be awarded double points at the final race of the season from 2014, one of several changes to F1 rules.
- England to make changes for Perth Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:10:37 GMT
- Coach Andy Flower says England will make changes for the third Ashes Test as they seek to overturn a 2-0 deficit.
- Five Lenins in unexpected places Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:15:06 GMT
- Kiev no longer has a monument Lenin, but there are plenty elsewhere - including some where you'd least expect to find them.
- How I learned to love the sari Mon, 09 Dec 2013 00:32:34 GMT
- There are a 108 ways of tying a sari, but Anu Anand had never learned one - until she went to sari school.
- Thousands mourn Congo rumba star Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:44:16 GMT
- Thousands of people in the Democratic Republic of Congo attend the state funeral of rumba star Tabu Ley Rochereau in the capital, Kinshasa.
- US urges China to release Liu Xiaobo Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:02:50 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry urges China to release Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo, five years after the activist was detained.
- Putin amnesty may free Greenpeace 30 Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:46:03 GMT
- An amnesty drafted by Russia's President Putin could free the two jailed Pussy Riot protesters and the Greenpeace Arctic 30 campaigners.
- Bogota mayor banned from office Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:21:17 GMT
- The mayor of the Colombian capital, Bogota, is sacked by the country's prosecutor general's office and banned from politics for 15 years.
- Syria army holds Damascus-Homs road Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:02:02 GMT
- Syrian government forces are reported to have taken control of the motorway linking Damascus with the city of Homs, as well as the nearby town of Nabak.
- Newman: Korea apology 'under duress' Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:13:07 GMT
- The 85-year-old US citizen held in North Korea for more than a month, Merrill Newman, says his videotaped confession was given under duress.
- Fireworks man cleared over M5 crash Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:04:38 GMT
- A man in charge of a fireworks display held on the night of a motorway crash in which seven people died is cleared of breaching health and safety laws.
- Flight-delay after systems damaged Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:06:35 GMT
- Flights were barred from landing at Stansted Airport after equipment was damaged by an incoming aircraft, bosses confirm.
- House fire 'may be murder-suicide' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:14:50 GMT
- A house fire that killed three people may have been started by one of those that died in a murder-suicide bid, detectives say.
- Watchdog attacks pension annuities Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:48:35 GMT
- The Financial Services Consumer Panel says the annuities market is confusing and may not offer good value to pensioners.