"There are times when I think that the ideal library is composed solely of reference books. They are like understanding friends--always ready to meet your mood, always ready to change the subject when you have had enough of this or that."
—Donald J. Adams (b. 1924) [Maxwell Smart] American actor
- US sees slower Black Friday sales Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:11:20 GMT
- Black Friday is less intense this year in the US after many stores opened earlier on Thursday.
- Indian economic growth slows to 5.3% Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:40:57 GMT
- India's economy grew by 5.3% in the July-to-September period from a year earlier, down from a rate of 5.7% in the previous quarter.
- Sony makes experimental paper watch Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:42:32 GMT
- Sony has developed a watch made from e-paper as part of an initiative to experiment with the use of the material for fashion products.
- Social media told to simplify terms Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:04:27 GMT
- A report from the UK parliament says Facebook, Twitter and other social networking firms need to make their terms and conditions clearer.
- Star Wars teaser trailer premieres Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:56:41 GMT
- The first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens is unveiled online and in US cinemas
- Russia scraps foreign film cap Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:43:10 GMT
- Proposed plans to cut the number of foreign films shown in Russian cinemas by 50% are shelved by Russia's parliament.
- Risk from extreme weather rises Thu, 27 Nov 2014 01:42:30 GMT
- Royal Society says combination of population growth and climate change will increase danger to cities.
- Bear back in Chernobyl after century Fri, 28 Nov 2014 01:23:32 GMT
- Camera traps, used by a project assessing radioactive exposure impacts on wildlife, record the first photos of a brown bear in Chernobyl's exclusion zone.
- 'Exciting' bladder cancer drug trial Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:25:43 GMT
- A trial to help the immune system fight bladder cancer is showing "exciting" results with tumours completely disappearing in some patients.
- Italy suspends flu drug over deaths Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:41:39 GMT
- Italy suspends the use of two batches of a flu vaccine made by Swiss firm Novartis after four people died within 48 hours of receiving the drug.
- I'm favourite for the sack - Rodgers Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:54:30 GMT
- Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he is "favourite for the sack" after the Reds' poor run of form.
- Sainz Jr joins Toro Rosso for 2015 Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:52:41 GMT
- Carlos Sainz Jr, son of the two-time former world rally champion of the same name, joins Toro Rosso for 2015.
- How I drank urine and bat blood to survive Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:04:25 GMT
- Extreme marathon runner Mauro Prosperi spent 10 days alone in the Sahara desert after getting lost in a sandstorm. He only just survived.
- Left to the mercy of the Taliban Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:10:39 GMT
- Interpreters who worked with US forces in Afghanistan are being hunted down by the Taliban. Thousands have fled to the US - but others have been blacklisted.
- Canberra Christmas lights set record Fri, 28 Nov 2014 04:42:39 GMT
- A Christmas display of more than 1.2 million LED lights in the Australian capital, Canberra, has set a new world record.