"If you will protest courageously, and yet with dignity and Christian love, when the history books are written in future generations, the historians will have to pause and say, There lived a great people-a black people-who injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization."
—Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68) African-American reverend, civil rights leader
- Stench of decay turns coral away Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:44:24 GMT
- Baby coral and fish can smell the difference between good and bad reefs, say marine ecologists.
- Experts to review stroke clot-buster Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:20:11 GMT
- The UK medicines watchdog is setting up a review to look at the safety of alteplase, a clot-busting drug often used to treat strokes.
- Double vaccines 'could end polio' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:31:23 GMT
- Using both types of polio vaccine could speed up efforts to free the world of the crippling and potentially fatal disease, research suggests.
- Rosberg beats Hamilton to pole Sat, 23 Aug 2014 14:00:27 GMT
- Nico Rosberg beats Lewis Hamilton to pole position at the Belgian Grand Prix in treacherous wet conditions.
- Chelsea 2-0 Leicester City Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:25:30 GMT
- Diego Costa and Eden Hazard score as Chelsea eventually break down a stubborn Leicester to maintain their 100% start to the season.
- Secret recordings of a president's daughter Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:09:19 GMT
- In new recordings, Gulnara Karimova, the daughter of Uzbekistan's president, says that she and her daughter are in desperate need of help.
- VIDEO: The last prisoner on Big Island Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:04:12 GMT
- Julio de Almeida, 83, is the last prisoner on Big Island, Ilha Grande, off the coast of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
- Woman 'saw Congo colonel order rape' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:09:42 GMT
- A woman who was gang-raped and burned in her house tells a DR Congo war crimes trial she saw an army colonel give the orders.
- Race to find Japan landslide victims Sat, 23 Aug 2014 04:42:33 GMT
- Rescuers search desperately for survivors in Japan's Hiroshima prefecture where a landslide killed at least 42 people, with 43 still missing.
- German policeman in 'cannibal' trial Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:43:57 GMT
- A policeman goes on trial in Germany accused of murdering a businessman who allegedly shared a cannibalism fetish.
- Colombia military meet Farc rebels Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:58:18 GMT
- Members of Colombia's armed forces meet Farc rebel leaders for the first time at Havana peace talks, to discuss ways of implementing a ceasefire.
- Tour buses collide near Egypt resort Fri, 22 Aug 2014 06:29:21 GMT
- Two tourist buses collide near Sharm El-Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai peninsula, leaving 33 people dead and 41 injured, officials say.
- IS militants 'biggest threat' to US Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:59:48 GMT
- Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq are the most dangerous threat the US has faced in recent years, senior American officials warn.
- Briton in Sierra Leone 'has Ebola' Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:19:58 GMT
- A British national living in Sierra Leone has tested positive for the Ebola virus, the Department of Health says.
- Hospitals told to cut parking charges Sat, 23 Aug 2014 13:56:47 GMT
- Hospitals in England are told to cut the cost of parking for certain groups under new government guidelines.