"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- Fall in oil prices 'temporary' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:21:12 GMT
- Recent falls in the price of oil are likely to be temporary, says the oil minister for Saudi Arabia, Opec's biggest producing nation.
- Snapchat boss tearful at Sony hack Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:59:37 GMT
- Snapchat founder Evan Spiegel left "devastated" as plans for his messaging app are leaked as part of the Sony Pictures hack.
- New Blackberry 'back to its roots' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:09:39 GMT
- Blackberry launches what it calls a "no-nonsense" smartphone in a bid to win back business customers.
- Marigold Hotel chosen for royal gala Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:25:19 GMT
- The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is selected as the next Royal Film Performance.
- Churchill painting sells for £1.8m Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:19:07 GMT
- A painting by Sir Winston Churchill sells for almost £1.8m at auction, almost double the previous record for one of his artworks.
- Badger cull fails to meet target Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:33:26 GMT
- Fewer than half the target number of badgers were killed in this year's cull in Gloucestershire, Defra announces.
- Bats 'showing signs of recovery' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:24:30 GMT
- Populations of most of Britain's bat species are stable or increasing following previous years of decline, report says.
- Autism link to air pollution raised Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:26:40 GMT
- A link between autism and air pollution during pregnancy has been suggested by scientists.
- Drug allergy: Culprit protein found Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:25:59 GMT
- Scientists uncover a single protein that could be responsible for drug allergies, on the surface of cells.
- Tests claim Ebosse died from beating Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:46:05 GMT
- New tests claim Cameroon player Albert Ebosse died in Algeria after a beating and not from an object thrown by fans.
- Not too late to drop Cook - Hussain Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:24:11 GMT
- There is still time for England to replace Alastair Cook as captain for the World Cup, says ex-skipper Nasser Hussain.
- The strange normality of life in the middle of Syria's war Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:39:33 GMT
- Diana Darke returned from London to Syria recently to reclaim her house from profiteers who had moved in - she found her neighbours in Damascus coping surprisingly well despite the war.
- What's behind growing gun support in US? Tue, 16 Dec 2014 22:42:10 GMT
- Two years on from the mass shooting at Sandy Hook, a survey finds growth in support of gun rights.
- Kazakh villages in guard wolf craze Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:49:32 GMT
- Villagers in Kazakhstan are increasingly buying wolves to guard their land.
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.