"Happy the people whose annals are blank in the history books!"
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- Panama opens biodiversity museum Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:34:43 GMT
- Panama inaugurates a museum designed by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry to celebrate one of the world's richest eco-systems.
- Thousands of Ebola orphans 'shunned' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:44:40 GMT
- At least 3,700 children in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone who have lost one or both parents to Ebola this year face being shunned, the UN says.
- Antibiotic 'link to child obesity' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:02:29 GMT
- A large American study suggests young children who are given repeated courses of antibiotics are more likely than those given fewer drugs to be obese.
- Manchester City 1-1 Roma Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:19:25 GMT
- Manchester City are still without a win in Champions League Group E after Francesco Totti's goal gives Roma a 1-1 draw.
- Sporting Lisbon 0-1 Chelsea Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:06:15 GMT
- Nemanja Matic scores a first-half header as Chelsea beat Sporting Lisbon 1-0 to go top of Champions League Group G.
- One people, 1,200 sausages Mon, 29 Sep 2014 00:18:46 GMT
- The history of Germany in beer and bratwurst.
- A jihadist beheading in middle America? Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:20:24 GMT
- It is still unclear whether a man who beheaded his co-worker did so in a violent rage, or as an act of jihad.
- Nigeria and Senegal 'contain' Ebola Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:41:08 GMT
- Ebola outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal appear to have been contained, US health authorities say, with no new cases there since August.
- India teacher 'locked boy in kennel' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:37:19 GMT
- Authorities in India investigate reports that a five-year-old boy was allegedly locked up in a kennel by his school teacher as punishment for talking to another child in class.
- EU to keep Russia sanctions in place Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:36:46 GMT
- The EU decides to keep sanctions on Russia in place, judging that Ukraine's peace deal is not fully effective.
- Venezuela defends Clorox seizure Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:34:46 GMT
- Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro defends his government's decision to seize a US-owned factory following the departure from Venezuela of Clorox.
- Hostage's wife makes new mercy plea Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:51:00 GMT
- The wife of a British hostage being held by militants makes a renewed call for his release, saying there has been "outcry across the world" over his imprisonment.
- Muslim NFL player's 'prayer penalty' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:13:19 GMT
- US Kansas City Chiefs NFL player Husain Abdullah is penalised after celebrating a touchdown by sliding on his knees and praying.
- RAF jets strike first IS targets Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:37:48 GMT
- RAF jets attack two Islamic State targets in Iraq - the first strikes since Parliament approved military action on Friday.
- May: Our values will beat extremists Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:36:42 GMT
- A future Conservative government would seek new powers to ban extremist groups and curb the activities of "harmful" individuals, Theresa May says.