"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- Mystery of 'ocean quacks' solved Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:01:55 GMT
- The mystery of a bizarre quacking sound often heard in the Southern Ocean has finally been solved, scientists report.
- Cancer teen hits £1m charity target Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:54:57 GMT
- A teenage blogger with terminal cancer raises more than £1m for charity after posting his final message to followers.
- Worries over young wanting surgery Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:00:49 GMT
- Plastic surgeons say they're worried about the number of young people who want cosmetic procedures.
- Robben surprised by Real's approach Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:45:24 GMT
- Bayern Munich's Arjen Robben is surprised by Real Madrid's cautious approach in their 1-0 Champions League semi-final first-leg win.
- Why Palestinians love St George Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:14:26 GMT
- As England celebrates the day of its patron saint, many Palestinians are gearing up for their own celebrations of this shared hero.
- The man who takes troubled youths to therapy camp Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:06:17 GMT
- As more and more families send their drug and alcohol-addicted kids to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US, more and more become acquainted with the shadowy figure known as the "escort."
- S Sudan president sacks army chief Thu, 24 Apr 2014 04:28:59 GMT
- South Sudan's president sacks the head of the national army amid reports of military setbacks - including rebels seizing the oil hub of Bentiu.
- Everest Sherpas discuss boycott Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:52:44 GMT
- Sherpa guides in Nepal are meeting climbers at Everest base camp to decide whether to continue ascents after an avalanche on Friday killed 16 of their colleagues.
- Turkey: Armenia killings 'inhumane' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 16:59:46 GMT
- Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan offers condolences for the first time for the mass killings of Armenians under Ottoman rule during WWI.
- Dancer's death sparks Rio clashes Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:40:15 GMT
- Weeks before the World Cup, deadly clashes break out in the Brazilian city of Rio after the body of a young man is found, allegedly beaten by police.
- Hamas and Fatah declare end to rift Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:59:14 GMT
- Rival Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas announce a reconciliation deal, saying they will seek to form a unity government in the coming weeks.
- US troops in Poland for exercises Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:59:19 GMT
- A first contingent of US troops arrives in Poland for military exercises amid heightened tensions with Russia over Ukraine.
- Police make Syria plea to UK women Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:14:29 GMT
- British counter-terrorism police chiefs make an unprecedented appeal to Muslim women to persuade their relatives against travelling to Syria to fight in the civil war.
- Labour to cut ties with Co-op Bank Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:00:20 GMT
- The Labour Party is looking to sever its links with the troubled Co-op Bank, bringing to an end one of the oldest political partnerships in the UK.
- Care needs to 'outstrip' family help Thu, 24 Apr 2014 03:26:59 GMT
- The number of older people in England needing care will "outstrip" the number of family members able to provide it by 2017, a think tank warns.