"Nothing, it appears to me is of greater value in a man than the power of judgement; and the man who has it may be compared to a chest fulled with books, for he is the son of nature and the father of art."
—Pietro Aretino (1492-1556) Italian poet, writer, dramatist
- Reporter jailed for stolen data links Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:55:12 GMT
- A journalist with connections to the hacking collective Anonymous is sentenced to five years in jail after posting online links to stolen data.
- US plans 'regulated' Bitcoin exchange Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:28:38 GMT
- High-profile Bitcoin backers are seeking to establish a Bitcoin exchange in the US that would be overseen by mainstream financial regulators.
- Birdman given boost in Oscars race Sun, 25 Jan 2015 08:33:01 GMT
- Michael Keaton's film Birdman emerges as a strong contender for the Academy Awards after being given the Producers Guild of America's top prize.
- US talk show pioneer Franklin dies Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:54:53 GMT
- Joe Franklin, who was a New York TV host for 43 years and is credited by some as having invented the talk show format, dies at the age of 88.
- Eyes on Pluto for historic encounter Sun, 25 Jan 2015 11:28:06 GMT
- Nasa's mission to Pluto gets under way in earnest as the New Horizons probe starts taking the pictures needed for July's close fly-by.
- Jellyfish 'can sense ocean currents' Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:39:15 GMT
- A jellyfish tagging study reveals the creatures' ability to swim against the current when forming their submarine swarms, say researchers.
- Ebola vaccine 'shipped to Liberia' Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:01:25 GMT
- The first batch of a vaccine against Ebola is on its way to Liberia and trials are expected to start soon.
- Exercise advice is 'unrealistic' Thu, 22 Jan 2015 01:20:20 GMT
- Researchers say current exercise guidelines are unrealistic and argue doctors should promote small increases in activity instead.
- Brighton & Hove Albion 2-3 Arsenal Sun, 25 Jan 2015 18:34:07 GMT
- Defending champions Arsenal reach the FA Cup fifth round but are forced to hang on for a 3-2 victory at Championship side Brighton.
- Gabon 0-2 Equatorial Guinea Sun, 25 Jan 2015 20:09:56 GMT
- Hosts Equatorial Guinea make it through to the Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals by beating Gabon 2-0.
- The sheikh who listened to Nazi radio Sat, 24 Jan 2015 00:25:40 GMT
- Early in World War Two, Britain's agent in Sharjah noticed an alarming rise in support for Nazi Germany - so he slipped on a disguise to find out who was responsible.
- The lost sons Fri, 23 Jan 2015 05:00:49 GMT
- The story two murdered teenage boys, an Israeli and a Palestinian, whose mistake was to stand by the side of a dark road.
- Fake bank swindles China savers Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:38:42 GMT
- Building was made to look just like a real bank with uniformed staff serving customers.
- Ghana official wears wife's coat Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:58:46 GMT
- Ruling party official laughs off criticism for donning the fur-trimmed number on visit to Germany.
- Lungu wins Zambia presidential poll Sat, 24 Jan 2015 22:45:20 GMT
- Defence Minister Edgar Lungu wins Zambia's presidential election for the governing Patriotic Front with 48.3% of the vote.