"All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned--the biggest word of all--look."
—Robert (L.) Fulghum (b. 1937) American writer, author
- Snail genes reveal human migration Thu, 20 Jun 2013 01:43:29 GMT
- A genetic similarity between snail fossils found in Ireland and the Eastern Pyrenees suggests humans migrated from southern Europe to Ireland 8,000 years ago.
- Naked mole-rat gives cancer clues Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:01:25 GMT
- A rodent that never gets cancer could hold the key to preventing or treating malignant tumours, say scientists.
- Silver 'boost to antibiotic success' Thu, 20 Jun 2013 06:21:51 GMT
- Adding silver to antibiotics boosts their ability to fight infection, research suggests.
- Corbisiero named in Lions Test side Thu, 20 Jun 2013 02:12:52 GMT
- Prop Alex Corbisiero is the surprise inclusion in a Lions team featuring eight Welshmen for the first Test against Australia.
- Newcastle situation sickens Shearer Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:48:15 GMT
- Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has been undermined by Joe Kinnear's appointment as director of football, says Alan Shearer.
- How Israel keeps Holocaust memories alive Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:43:30 GMT
- The Holocaust carries a special importance for Israel. Can it ensure that the next generation knows what happened, and does not forget?
- The air force pilot who took her baby on missions Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:30:48 GMT
- Colonel Nabizada - Afghanistan's first woman helicopter pilot - often shares her cockpit with her baby daughter
- UN condemns 'despicable' Somali raid Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:28:59 GMT
- UN head Ban Ki-moon expresses outrage over a "despicable" attack by Islamists on a UN office in Somalia which killed at least 15 people.
- Race to save India flood victims Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:53:49 GMT
- India's army steps up efforts to reach the worst-affected areas in the flood-hit Indian state of Uttarakhand, where nearly 150 people have died.
- Obama calls for nuclear arsenal cuts Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:26:22 GMT
- Speaking at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, President Barack Obama calls for reductions to be made in US and Russian nuclear stockpiles.
- Mexico arrests top 10 US fugitive Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:52:38 GMT
- A US fugitive on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list for the alleged sexual exploitation of children is arrested at a resort in Mexico.
- Protests flare over Egypt governor Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:53:49 GMT
- Egypt's tourism minister quits and protests erupt as a man with links to Islamists behind the deadly 1997 attack in Luxor is named as city governor.
- FBI uses surveillance drones in US Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:55:40 GMT
- The FBI has used drones for surveillance in limited cases over US soil and is developing a drone use policy, the FBI director tells the US Senate.
- Schools 'let down invisible poor' Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:18:07 GMT
- The problem of pupil underachievement has shifted from inner cities to schools in suburbs, coastal towns and rural areas, education watchdog Ofsted says.
- 10 children hurt in crash near school Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:19:20 GMT
- Adults and children are hurt in a "very serious accident" involving a car outside a school in south Wales.