"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- Aereo files for bankruptcy protection Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:56:07 GMT
- Aereo, the TV streaming upstart meant to take on US cable firms, files for bankruptcy protection after a Supreme Court decision threw the company's legality into doubt.
- Police make computer hijack arrests Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:21:26 GMT
- Fifteen people have been arrested, including four in the UK, in connection with the hijacking of computers.
- Google tries ad-free net experiment Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:30:09 GMT
- Search giant Google has unveiled an experiment that lets people pay to visit sites rather than see adverts.
- O'Keeffe work sets female art record Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:58:45 GMT
- A floral painting by late US artist Georgia O'Keeffe sells for $44.4m (£28.8m) at auction, setting a record for an artwork by a female artist.
- Cosby carries on with one-man show Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:21:18 GMT
- US entertainer Bill Cosby presses on with a series of comic engagements despite mounting allegations that he sexually assaulted a number of women.
- Climate fund receives $9.3bn pledge Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:39:16 GMT
- Thirty nations meeting in Berlin have pledged $9.3bn (£6bn) for a fund to help developing countries cut emissions and prepare for climate change.
- Embrace the arts, engineers told Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:00:25 GMT
- Engineering needs to emphasise its creative side to encourage more young people to take it up as a career, says a leading member of the profession.
- Ebola 'stable' in Guinea - WHO Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is now "stable" in Guinea, the country where the latest crisis began, the World Health Organization says.
- Female bosses 'more depressed' Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:59:57 GMT
- Women with job authority are more likely than men to display symptoms of depression, according to research in the US.
- Pacquiao retains WBO title in Macau Sun, 23 Nov 2014 07:56:27 GMT
- Filipino Manny Pacquiao retains his WBO welterweight title with a resounding points defeat of American Chris Algieri.
- Red Bull excluded from qualifying Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:50:46 GMT
- Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel are excluded from qualifying at the Abu Dhabi GP for driving illegal cars.
- Is winning 100 caps still a big deal? Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:11:40 GMT
- Wayne Rooney recently became the ninth English footballer to win 100 caps but is it easier to do this now than it was a generation ago?
- Monsieur Romieu - a 'man of talents' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:12:18 GMT
- At a time of international conflict two centuries ago, did Britain assassinate an enemy agent while the world was looking the other way?
- Police in toastie mercy dash Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:39:56 GMT
- Officers in New Zealand come to the rescue of a distressed woman who hadn't eaten for three days.
- Writing lessons give way to typing Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:25:46 GMT
- Finnish students will no longer be taught joined-up handwriting, and will get typing lessons instead.