"When you read a classic you do not see in the book more than you did before. You see more in you than there was before."
—Clifton Paul Fadiman (b. 1904) American writer, editor
- UK joins 'super-microscope' project Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:00:24 GMT
- The UK government is to allocate up to £185m on three international science projects.
- Lochhead to make Dounreay statement Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:55:35 GMT
- The Scottish environment secretary is to make a statement to MSPs about a radiation problem at a nuclear test reactor in the Highlands.
- Light drinking 'is preterm risk' Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:15:24 GMT
- Even moderate drinking during the earliest months of pregnancy may be damaging, according to researchers in Leeds.
- 'Withdraw' major stem cell findings Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:40:51 GMT
- A Japanese scientist behind a seemingly groundbreaking stem cell study says the findings should be withdrawn amid doubts over its quality.
- Injured Root out of World Twenty20 Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:01:57 GMT
- Joe Root will miss the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh after fracturing his thumb in the last one-day international against West Indies.
- Do skiing apps encourage dangerous behaviour? Mon, 10 Mar 2014 01:46:57 GMT
- Smartphone apps which measure skiing speed have been criticised for encouraging dangerous behaviour on the slopes. But are they really so bad?
- Diamonds: Natural and unnatural wonders Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:23:02 GMT
- Diamonds may be the ultimate status symbol, but beautiful specimens no longer come only from deep holes in the ground.
- South Sudan hit by anti-UN protest Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:43:34 GMT
- More than 1,000 people have protested in South Sudan's capital, Juba, accusing the UN of arming rebels - a charge it denies.
- Man 'used drone to smuggle drugs' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:40:03 GMT
- A man is arrested and charged for allegedly attempting to smuggle drugs into a prison using a drone, Australian police say.
- Bayern boss admits massive tax fraud Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:03:22 GMT
- Uli Hoeness, president of European football champions Bayern Munich, admits in court that he defrauded the German tax authorities of 18m euros (£15m; $25m).
- 'Long-dead Mexico drug lord killed' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 03:22:11 GMT
- Officials in Michoacan, Mexico say that they have shot dead drug lord Nazario Moreno - The Craziest One - who was reported killed in 2010.
- Syria rebels free kidnapped nuns Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:49:11 GMT
- A group of Greek Orthodox nuns held for three months by rebels in Syria after being taken from their convent in Maaloula arrive back in Damascus.
- US court ends 'boobies' bracelet ban Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:17:30 GMT
- The US Supreme Court rejects an appeal which sought to ban students in Pennsylvania from wearing controversial breast cancer awareness bracelets.
- Carney faces MPs over fixing probe Tue, 11 Mar 2014 04:02:58 GMT
- Bank of England governor Mark Carney is to be quizzed by MPs over claims some of the bank's officials knew about alleged foreign exchange rate fixing.
- MPs debate hospital closure power Tue, 11 Mar 2014 06:00:46 GMT
- MPs are set to debate a controversial measure which would give the Health Secretary the power to impose the closure of local hospital services.