"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Greece asks public agencies for cash Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:09:02 GMT
- The Greek government asks public sector bodies to hand over any reserve cash to help it meet a payment due to the International Monetary Fund.
- China property firm Kaisa defaults Tue, 21 Apr 2015 06:22:30 GMT
- Kaisa Group becomes the first Chinese property developer to default on its overseas debt, which is estimated to be about $2.5bn (£1.7bn).
- Airline bans passenger after tweet Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:35:57 GMT
- United Airlines banned a security researcher from a flight after he tweeted that he might be able to hack the aircraft's systems.
- Google search changes favour mobile Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:20:22 GMT
- Google is updating its search tools to favour websites that work well on mobile devices above those that fail its criteria
- Groundhog Day set for London stage Tue, 21 Apr 2015 02:29:56 GMT
- A stage musical adaptation of classic comedy film Groundhog Day is to have its world premiere at the Old Vic in 2016.
- Furious 7 fastest film to take $1bn Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:08:53 GMT
- Furious 7 tops the US box office for a third week after breaking records as the fastest film to take $1 billion (£669.5 million) worldwide.
- Rosetta's comet throws out big jet Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:18:05 GMT
- Europe's Rosetta probe catches its comet quarry in the act of producing a huge jet of gas and dust.
- Diver wins environmental award Mon, 20 Apr 2015 04:46:06 GMT
- A diver from the Isle of Arran in Scotland wins one of the world's most prestigious environmental awards.
- Mindfulness 'option for depression' Tue, 21 Apr 2015 02:16:32 GMT
- A mindfulness-based therapy could provide a "new choice for millions of people" with recurrent depression, a study in the Lancet says.
- Athlete's foot drug may be MS therapy Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:02:51 GMT
- Two common drugs - one for treating athlete's foot and another for alleviating eczema - might be useful therapies for multiple sclerosis, scientists believe.
- England should pick Rashid - Vaughan Mon, 20 Apr 2015 22:05:10 GMT
- Leg-spinner Adil Rashid should make his England Test debut in the second match of the series in the West Indies, says Michael Vaughan.
- Henderson close to five-year deal Tue, 21 Apr 2015 06:23:34 GMT
- Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson is close to agreeing a new £100,000-a-week deal with the Premier League club.
- Does a US child go missing every 90 seconds? Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:53:44 GMT
- When there's a report of a child going missing it's easy to jump to the worst conclusions. But sometimes the reality is not quite so alarming.
- Making knowledge beautiful Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:45:37 GMT
- Elegant and colourful infographics making it easier for our brains to process facts and figures.
- Australia PM downs beer in seconds Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:44:40 GMT
- Footage has emerged of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott downing a large glass of beer in only seconds.