"There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Double vaccines 'could end polio' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:31:23 GMT
- Using both types of polio vaccine could speed up efforts to free the world of the crippling and potentially fatal disease, research suggests.
- Mackay faces fresh text allegations Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:15:35 GMT
- Ex-Cardiff boss Malky Mackay faces fresh allegations about text messages he is claimed to have shared with Iain Moody.
- Bottas quickest in final practice Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:34:15 GMT
- Williams' Valtteri Bottas sets the pace from Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo in a wet-dry final practice at the Belgian GP.
- Secret recordings of a president's daughter Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:09:19 GMT
- In new recordings, Gulnara Karimova, the daughter of Uzbekistan's president, says that she and her daughter are in desperate need of help.
- VIDEO: The last prisoner on Big Island Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:04:12 GMT
- Julio de Almeida, 83, is the last prisoner on Big Island, Ilha Grande, off the coast of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
- Woman 'saw Congo colonel order rape' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:09:42 GMT
- A woman who was gang-raped and burned in her house tells a DR Congo war crimes trial she saw an army colonel give the orders.
- India's Kerala to ban alcohol sales Fri, 22 Aug 2014 04:57:34 GMT
- Authorities in the southern Indian state of Kerala outline plans to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol to tackle the state's drink problem.
- Four white lion cubs born in Germany Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:23:40 GMT
- Four rare white lion cubs - three males and one female - are born at a circus on tour in eastern Germany.
- Colombia military meet Farc rebels Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:58:18 GMT
- Members of Colombia's armed forces meet Farc rebel leaders for the first time at Havana peace talks, to discuss ways of implementing a ceasefire.
- Israel vows response to boy's death Fri, 22 Aug 2014 20:11:21 GMT
- Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu says army and intelligence operations will "intensify" after a four-year-old boy is killed by fire from Gaza.
- IS militants 'biggest threat' to US Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:59:48 GMT
- Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq are the most dangerous threat the US has faced in recent years, senior American officials warn.
- Two charged after container death Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:10:49 GMT
- Two men are charged following the death of an Afghan migrant found in a container at Tilbury docks in Essex.
- Hospitals told to cut parking charges Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:49:34 GMT
- Hospitals in England are told to cut the cost of parking for certain groups under new government guidelines.
- BT warns of rise in phone bills Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:27:40 GMT
- BT warns millions of customers it is increasing prices by up to 6.5% from December this year.
- Warning over black market cigarettes Sat, 23 Aug 2014 00:00:22 GMT
- Attempts to cut the amount people smoke are being hit by a black market trade in millions of illegal cigarettes, council bosses warn.