"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- Tweets of the week: IRS, Beyonce's baby and Bea Arthur Fri, 17 May 2013 21:46:57 GMT
- For the week ending 17 May, here is a look at the news making waves in America - all in 140 characters or less.
- Breast cancer: What is the risk? Fri, 17 May 2013 23:27:50 GMT
- Angelina Jolie had a mastectomy after being told there was an 87% chance she would develop breast cancer. How high is the risk for other women?
- Nigeria army says crackdown to go on Sun, 19 May 2013 03:57:21 GMT
- Nigeria's army vows to continue its offensive against militants in the north-east "as long as it takes", as a 24-hour curfew is imposed in Maiduguri.
- China Premier Li Keqiang in India Sun, 19 May 2013 06:44:28 GMT
- China's Premier Li Keqiang travels to India for his first foreign visit since taking office, with border tensions and trade topping the agenda.
- Disgraced French minister bows out Sun, 19 May 2013 14:44:39 GMT
- A French government minister who quit over revelations of his undeclared Swiss bank account says he will not stand again for election.
- El Salvador gangs warn over truce Sun, 19 May 2013 00:16:24 GMT
- The leaders of the main gangs in El Salvador vow to maintain a 14-month-long truce, but say political changes threaten the peace.
- Fresh violence kills eight in Iraq Sat, 18 May 2013 13:51:31 GMT
- Fresh outbreaks of violence in Iraq have left at least eight people dead, police say, hours after the worst day of sectarian violence in the country for months.
- Car hits crowd at Virginia parade Sun, 19 May 2013 01:17:47 GMT
- Up to 60 people were injured when a car ploughed into a crowd during a parade in a small town in the US state of Virginia, officials say.
- One dead, two injured in plane crash Sun, 19 May 2013 15:43:20 GMT
- Police confirm one man has died and two other people are critically ill after a light aircraft crashes in Gwynedd.
- Tyler: 'I did my best at Eurovision' Sun, 19 May 2013 08:08:00 GMT
- Bonnie Tyler reflects on taking the UK to 19th place out of 26 countries at the Eurovision Song Contest, which was won by Denmark's Emmelie de Forest.
- British skier dies in Alps fall Sun, 19 May 2013 16:34:43 GMT
- A British skier falls to his death while tackling an off-piste glacier in the French Alps.
- Bank governor in Help to Buy warning Sun, 19 May 2013 11:18:48 GMT
- The outgoing Bank of England governor warns a government plan to boost the housing market with part-mortgage guarantees has no long-term place.
- Week in pictures: 11-17 May 2013 Fri, 17 May 2013 15:40:43 GMT
- Some of the best news photos this week
- Day in pictures: 17 May 2013 Fri, 17 May 2013 13:30:21 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photos: 17 May
- In pictures: Raw power of the Sun Fri, 17 May 2013 06:17:41 GMT
- Best pictures of our parent star