"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- Call for end to 'throwaway society' Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:05:10 GMT
- A ban on sending leftover food to landfill is needed to move away from a 'throwaway society', say MPs.
- Government to end nuclear waste veto Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:26:33 GMT
- The UK government wants to scrap a community veto which allows local politicians to block a future £12bn nuclear waste repository.
- Shift workers 'face diabetes risk' Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:14:23 GMT
- Type 2 diabetes is more common in people who work shifts, with effects on waistlines, hormones and sleep increasing the risk, a study suggests.
- Paracetamol for back pain questioned Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:55:37 GMT
- Taking paracetamol for lower back pain does not improve recovery time or provide any greater pain relief than using a placebo, scientists say.
- Wiggins says he's 'done with the road' Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:04:58 GMT
- Sir Bradley Wiggins says he will not ride the Tour de France again after describing road racing as "cut-throat".
- Lampard joins MLS side New York City Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:59:21 GMT
- Former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard joins Major League Soccer side New York City FC on a two-year deal.
- When time stood still Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:24:31 GMT
- The story of the watch that survived Hiroshima - and its owner, who found peace through forgiveness.
- Illegal bottom injections on rise in US Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:02:06 GMT
- In search of a rounder backside, women are turning to discount procedures that can lead to pains, disfiguration and even death.
- Sudan 'apostasy' woman meets Pope Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:18:08 GMT
- A Sudanese woman who fled to Italy after being spared a death sentence for renouncing Islam meets Pope Francis at the Vatican.
- MSF allowed to resume Rakhine work Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:35:21 GMT
- Myanmar allows Medecins Sans Frontieres to resume work in Rakhine state, where residents have had almost no access to healthcare since the group was ejected in February.
- Poland 'helped in CIA rendition' Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:53:28 GMT
- Poland violated the human rights convention and helped the CIA's rendition of terror suspects, the European Court of Human Rights finds.
- Aruba detains top Venezuela official Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:55:13 GMT
- The Caribbean island of Aruba has detained a top Venezuelan official, Gen Hugo Carvajal, sought in the US for drug trafficking offences.
- Iraq MPs elect Massoum as president Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:20:53 GMT
- Iraqi parliament elects Kurdish politician Fouad Massoum as the country's next president, succeeding Jalal Talabani.
- Suspect: Detroit shooting 'accident' Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:29:16 GMT
- A man charged with killing an unarmed black woman on his suburban Detroit porch in November initially told police it was an accident, a jury hears.
- One-shot cancer therapy gets NHS nod Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:10:38 GMT
- A pioneering breast cancer treatment that replaces weeks of radiotherapy with a single, targeted shot is set to be offered on the NHS.