"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Ancient life 'frozen' by impacts Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:54:53 GMT
- Ancient grasses from the Pampas of Argentina were preserved when asteroids struck the area, scientists report.
- SpaceX launches station cargo flight Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:06:02 GMT
- US company SpaceX launches its latest re-supply mission to the International Space Station, sending up a Dragon freighter to rendezvous with the orbiting platform on Sunday.
- Skin cancer rates 'surge since 70s' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:03:38 GMT
- The incidence of the most serious skin cancer is now five times higher than it was in the 1970s, figures show.
- Foreign doctors 'need tougher tests' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:03:35 GMT
- Tests taken by foreign doctors who want to work in the NHS should be made harder to pass to bring them in line with UK standards, a study says.
- Norwich City 2-3 Liverpool Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:35:18 GMT
- Liverpool open up a five-point lead at the top of the Premier League after a hard-fought win over relegation-battling Norwich.
- Chlorine: From toxic chemical to household cleaner Fri, 18 Apr 2014 23:26:03 GMT
- Few chemicals are as familiar as table salt. The white crystals are the most common food seasoning in the world and an essential part of the human diet.
- Shannon Airport: A curious history of celebrity visitors Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:26:49 GMT
- Shannon Airport in the Irish Republic has long been the unlikely host to celebrities and US presidents making the transatlantic crossing, writes Christine Finn.
- Algeria militants kill 14 soldiers Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:36:05 GMT
- Islamist militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in an ambush on a military convoy in mountains east of the capital Algiers.
- Abdullah 'extends Afghan poll lead' Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:27:40 GMT
- Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah has extended his lead over his rival Ashraf Ghani, latest results from the presidential polls suggest.
- Top aide to French president resigns Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:51:40 GMT
- A close aide to French President Francois Hollande resigns following allegations he had a conflict of interest in a previous post.
- Colombia to honour Garcia Marquez Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:41:56 GMT
- Colombia announces its own ceremony to honour author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who was cremated in Mexico, where he lived for more than 30 years.
- Yemen drone strike kills militants Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:33:17 GMT
- A drone attack in south Yemen has killed at least three suspected al-Qaeda fighters, defence officials and local tribal chiefs say.
- US 'delays' Keystone XL decision Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:20:31 GMT
- The US state department gives federal agencies more time to review the Keystone XL oil pipeline before determining whether to issue a permit.
- Flood defences mended for thousands Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:21:56 GMT
- Flood defences and other protections are restored for more than 100,000 properties left at risk after this winter's severe weather.
- Hidden company owners to be revealed Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:16:04 GMT
- Companies will be forced to declare their true owners on a public register in a move to tackle corruption, Business Secretary Vince Cable says.