"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
—Moses Hadas (1900-66)
- Monster shark 'kept whales in check' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:23:19 GMT
- The extinction of the biggest shark known to science may have triggered whales to grow to their current hefty sizes, a study suggests.
- Deal expected on EU climate cuts Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:20:37 GMT
- A plan to cut CO2 by 40% from 1990 levels is likely to be agreed by EU leaders despite the threat of a veto from Poland.
- Later sunsets 'make kids more active' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:15:39 GMT
- Moving the clocks forward by one extra hour all year could lead to children getting two more minutes of exercise every day, say UK researchers.
- 'Nine million have TB' - WHO report Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:17:01 GMT
- The World Health Organization revises its estimate as to how many people have tuberculosis up by 500,000, in its latest report into the killer disease.
- Police called to 'Balotelli car row' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:45:46 GMT
- Police investigate a claim that Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli "threatened" a woman who was taking pictures of his Ferrari.
- Horse trainer guilty over steroids Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:58:33 GMT
- Irish racehorse trainer Philip Fenton is found guilty of having performance-enhancing drugs and other animal remedies at his stables.
- Remembering Ben Bradlee Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:26:06 GMT
- Today presenter James Naughtie remembers his friend, the legendary Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee who's died aged 93.
- Tales from the India Office Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:04:32 GMT
- Millions of documents recording Britain's 350-year presence in the sub-continent reveal some exotic stories.
- Guinea paying Ebola compensation Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:29:39 GMT
- The head of Guinea's Ebola mission says the government has started paying compensation to the families of health workers who have died of the virus.
- Japan court backs pregnant woman Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:59:21 GMT
- Japan's Supreme Court backs a woman who unsuccessfully sued her employer following a demotion due to her pregnancy.
- Everton fans targeted with tear gas Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:41:07 GMT
- Everton fans are targeted with tear gas fired by police during clashes ahead of their Europa League match with Lille.
- Mayor 'ordered attack on students' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:19:31 GMT
- The mayor of the Mexican town of Iguala, where 43 students went missing last month, is wanted for allegedly ordering police to confront them.
- Saudi women jailed for terror links Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:18:23 GMT
- Four women in Saudi Arabia have been given prison sentences for supporting al-Qaeda and training their sons for jihad.
- Obama 'optimistic' over Ebola in US Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:42:32 GMT
- President Barack Obama expresses cautious optimism about the Ebola situation in the US, as new screening rules are introduced in the country.
- NHS funds rise 'tough but possible' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:03:13 GMT
- Increasing NHS spending in England by the £8bn health bosses warn will be needed by 2020 will be tough but possible, the health secretary says.