"Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good plays, good company, good conversation -- what are they? They are the happiest people in the world."
—William Lyon Phelps
- US and India sign space agreement Wed, 01 Oct 2014 07:09:56 GMT
- The space agencies of India and the US sign an agreement on future co-operation at Mars and at Earth.
- Protest halts Nasa spaceflight plans Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:42:24 GMT
- Nasa is facing a delay to work on two new commercial spacecraft after a formal protest about the contract award process.
- First Ebola case diagnosed in the US Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:11:13 GMT
- A man who travelled from Liberia nearly two weeks ago is the first confirmed case of the deadly Ebola virus diagnosed on American soil.
- Cancer gene test 'would save lives' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:04:36 GMT
- Younger bowel cancer patients should be offered a genetic test to screen for a rare condition linked to a higher risk of cancer, say UK researchers.
- Lancaster signs England deal to 2020 Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:18:23 GMT
- Stuart Lancaster's contract as England head coach is extended until 2020 by the Rugby Football Union.
- England stars 'treated like babies' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:22:18 GMT
- England's players are suffering because they are not trusted to behave like grown-ups, according to Rio Ferdinand.
- Almaz's story Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:03:29 GMT
- When a young Ethiopian woman went to Saudi Arabia to work as a maid her new employers treated her like a slave.
- Why 'boots on the ground'? Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:01:03 GMT
- The expression "boots on the ground" may not have been used until about 1980.
- Hero's return for Kenyan Kimetto Wed, 01 Oct 2014 12:21:42 GMT
- Dennis Kimetto receives a hero's welcome on returning to Kenya after his world record-breaking run at the Berlin Marathon.
- Japan volcano eruption deaths rise Wed, 01 Oct 2014 09:35:45 GMT
- Rescue workers in Japan recover 12 more bodies from Mount Ontake, bringing to 48 the number of those killed by Saturday's surprise volcanic eruption.
- UK's Lord Hill puts EU before City Wed, 01 Oct 2014 15:10:44 GMT
- The EU Commissioner-designate for financial services, Britain's Lord Hill, tells MEPs he will act for the whole EU, not for the City of London.
- Mexico charges troops with homicide Wed, 01 Oct 2014 00:49:01 GMT
- Mexico's attorney general has charged three soldiers with murder during a shootout with 22 alleged gang members on 30 June.
- Syria peacekeeping 'impossible' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 12:14:13 GMT
- The Philippines says it will not participate in "impossible or unclear" UN peacekeeping missions after a rebel ambush in the Syrian Golan Heights.
- Ebola patient 'in serious condition' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 15:57:49 GMT
- The first patient to be diagnosed with Ebola on US soil is in a serious condition, a hospital spokeswoman says.
- Cameron pledges tax cuts 'for 30m' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 16:12:19 GMT
- David Cameron says a future Conservative government would cut taxes for thirty million people as he delivers his party conference speech.