"A Book of Verses undeneath the Bough, A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread - and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness- Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"
—Omar Khayyám (1050?-1123) Persian poet, mathematician, astronomer
- Belafonte to receive honorary Oscar Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:26:52 GMT
- US actor and singer Harry Belafonte is to be honoured by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.
- Iceland's volcano ash alert lifted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:33:56 GMT
- An eruption near Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano that briefly threatened air travel has ended, local officials say.
- Legal challenge to badger cull fails Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:29:47 GMT
- A High Court bid to halt this year's badger culling, which will take place without independent monitoring, fails.
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Plain packs 'no illegal smoking link' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:15:39 GMT
- A study of smokers in Australia suggests there is "no evidence" that the introduction of standardised cigarette packaging has changed the way people buy cigarettes.
- Everton 3-6 Chelsea Sat, 30 Aug 2014 19:05:48 GMT
- Diego Costa scores twice as Chelsea win a nine-goal thriller against Everton to keep up their 100% start to the season.
- India beat England to take 2-0 lead Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:56:27 GMT
- India beat England by six wickets at Trent Bridge to take a 2-0 lead in the one-day series with two games left.
- VIDEO: California's new gold rush Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:02:13 GMT
- In The New Forty-Niners, photographer Sarina Finkelstein documents a new wave of gold seekers in California, more than 160 years after the Gold Rush.
- Visiting a Kurdish capital in the US Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:13:44 GMT
- In Nashville, Kurdish immigrants have built a lively community. Monica Campbell took a tour with a local resident.
- Senegal confirms first Ebola case Fri, 29 Aug 2014 20:28:21 GMT
- Senegal's health ministry confirms a first case of Ebola, making it the fifth West African country now affected by the outbreak.
- China warns of Hong Kong 'meddling' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:35:29 GMT
- China warns foreign countries against "meddling" in Hong Kong's politics ahead of a crucial announcement on the territory's election process.
- Italian and Pole get top EU jobs Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:17:37 GMT
- EU leaders appoint Italy's Federica Mogherini as EU foreign policy chief and Poland's Donald Tusk as European Council President.
- Rescuers free Nicaraguan miners Sat, 30 Aug 2014 06:00:45 GMT
- Most of 24 gold miners trapped underground in northern Nicaragua since Thursday have been rescued, officials say.
- Egypt Brotherhood death sentence cut Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:34:36 GMT
- The head of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood has one death sentence commuted to life in prison, but still faces another death penalty.
- Cold War US spy dies in prison Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:17:59 GMT
- A former US navy sailor who led a spy ring for the Soviet Union has died in a prison medical centre at the age of 77.