"Every artist wants his work to be permanent. But what is? The Aswan Dam covered some of the greatest art in the world. Venice is sinking. Great books and pictures were lost in the Florence floods. In the meantime we still enjoy butterflies."
- Senegal artist awarded French honour Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:27:05 GMT
- Senegal sculptor Ousmane Sow becomes the first African to be invited to join France's Academy of Fine Arts.
- Data to expose 'sleeping ice giant' Fri, 13 Dec 2013 07:56:19 GMT
- Scientists have finally begun mapping one of the least explored regions of Antarctica - the Recovery Catchment.
- Jupiter moon spouts water into space Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:03:26 GMT
- Giant plumes of water may be spouting from Jupiter's icy moon Europa - one of the likeliest places to find alien life in the Solar System.
- Global cancer cases reach 14 million Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:24:59 GMT
- The number of people being diagnosed with cancer in the world each year has leaped to more than 14 million, the World Health Organization says.
- Pakistan polio attacks - three dead Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:08:19 GMT
- Gunmen shoot dead two policemen providing security to a polio team in Pakistan, while a polio worker is killed in a separate attack.
- Smith ton leads Australia recovery Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:03:21 GMT
- Steve Smith's unbeaten century helps Australia recover to 326-6 at the end of day one of the third Ashes Test against England in Perth.
- Injured Van Persie out for a month Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:45:31 GMT
- Manchester United striker Robin van Persie is set to miss eight games after injuring his thigh while taking a corner.
- The revenge porn avengers Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:25:38 GMT
- When a group of young women from Texas found pictures of themselves on a revenge porn website, they decided to fight back.
- Five sports played at the Southeast Asian Games Thu, 12 Dec 2013 00:40:30 GMT
- The Southeast Asian Games officially began on Wednesday in Myanmar, although competition got under way last week. It features some sports you may not have seen before.
- African Union to increase CAR force Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:59:05 GMT
- The African Union authorises increasing the number of soldiers deployed to Central African Republic to 6,000 as it spirals into sectarian conflict.
- China focus for Japan Asean summit Fri, 13 Dec 2013 07:51:47 GMT
- Leaders of Asean nations are in Japan for a summit likely to focus on China, as Japan seeks solidarity amid territorial tensions with Beijing.
- Arctic 30 'not free to leave Russia' Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:52:13 GMT
- Russia indicates it will not allow the 26 foreign nationals that made up Greenpeace's Arctic crew to leave the country, the group says.
- Mexico Congress approves energy bill Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:39:59 GMT
- The Mexican Congress approves legislation that opens the oil and gas sector to foreign investment for the first time in 75 years, despite protests from opposition lawmakers.
- Syria chemical arms 'probably used' Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:01:02 GMT
- Chemical weapons were "probably used" at five out of seven sites in Syria investigated by UN experts, their report says.
- US House passes two-year budget deal Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:17:46 GMT
- The US House of Representatives approves a two-year federal budget bill with strong cross-party support, making another government shutdown less likely.