"Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."
—Sir John Lubbock (1834-1913) British banker, politician, naturalist. British Wild Flowers
- Alvin Stardust album gets early release Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:13:07 GMT
- The release of Alvin Stardust's final album, his first in 30 years, is brought forward following his death.
- Science chief warns on acid oceans Fri, 24 Oct 2014 05:18:50 GMT
- The UK's chief scientist says the oceans face a serious and growing risk from man-made carbon emissions.
- EU leaders agree CO2 emissions cut Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:59:54 GMT
- The EU agrees what it calls "the world's most ambitious" deal to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 40% by 2030, overcoming deep divisions.
- Cancer-killing cells made in the lab Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:27:46 GMT
- Scientists from Harvard Medical School have discovered a way of turning stem cells into killing machines to fight brain cancer.
- First transplant of 'dead' heart Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:00:25 GMT
- Surgeons in Australia say they have performed the first heart transplant using a "dead heart".
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:28:48 GMT
- Real Madrid take the Clasico honours as they beat arch-rivals Barcelona in a captivating game at the Bernabeu.
- Pellegrini remains calm after defeat Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:39:02 GMT
- Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini plays down the damage of a defeat at West Ham to his side's league title defence.
- The hardship posting to end all hardship postings Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:05:33 GMT
- The furnace-like island that may have inspired an English idiom.
- Have Jedis created a new 'religion'? Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:04:02 GMT
- Followers of Jediism have tried to create a belief system that goes beyond the Star Wars films. Does it amount to a new 'religion'?
- Rwanda bans BBC over genocide film Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:29:57 GMT
- Rwanda suspends BBC broadcasts in the Kinyarwanda language with immediate effect because of a controversial documentary about the 1994 genocide.
- Younus sets Pakistan century record Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:27:29 GMT
- Younus Khan becomes Pakistan's highest Test century maker as they set Australia 438 to win the first Test in Dubai.
- Russia 'helped Yanukovych to flee' Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:01:04 GMT
- Vladimir Putin says for the first time that Russia helped Ukraine's ex-President Viktor Yanukovych to flee after he was ousted in February.
- Life terms for Argentina jail crimes Sat, 25 Oct 2014 01:56:09 GMT
- An Argentine ex-police chief and ex-interior minister are among 15 people given life sentences for involvement in a torture centre in the 1970s.
- New John Cantlie video posted online Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:15:15 GMT
- British journalist John Cantlie, who is being held captive by Islamic State militants, is shown reading a message in a new propaganda video published online.
- Two US Ebola nurses free of virus Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:10:30 GMT
- Two nurses infected with Ebola while treating a patient in Dallas are declared free of the deadly virus, a day after the first infection in New York.