"There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- GM seeks to bar some ignition cases Wed, 23 Apr 2014 05:56:53 GMT
- General Motors asks a US court to bar some lawsuits relating to its recall over faulty ignition switches.
- Robot portable printer secures cash Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:28:48 GMT
- An Israeli start-up secures enough funds to put a pocket-sized robot printer into production.
- VIDEO: Actress writes her own happy ending Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:16:20 GMT
- A woman pioneer in the digital space talks about using technology to create acting opportunities that wouldn't otherwise exist.
- Led Zeppelin unleash unheard work Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:49:51 GMT
- Legendary rock group Led Zeppelin make public two previously unheard recordings.
- Top Gear 'regrets' Burma remark Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:49:27 GMT
- The executive producer of Top Gear expresses regret over a "light-hearted" remark on its Burma special that led to the BBC show being accused of racism.
- Asteroid impact risks 'underplayed' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:18:33 GMT
- A visualisation showing where sizeable asteroids have hit the Earth in recent years has been released by the B612 Foundation.
- Mystery of 'ocean quacks' solved Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:01:55 GMT
- The mystery of a bizarre quacking sound often heard in the Southern Ocean has finally been solved, scientists report.
- Saudi health minister sacked Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:00:57 GMT
- As Saudi Arabia dismisses its health minister, the Mers virus death toll continues to rise.
- Cancer teen hits £1m charity target Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:54:57 GMT
- A teenage blogger with terminal cancer raises more than £1m for charity after posting his final message to followers.
- Man Utd criticised for Moyes sacking Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:01:28 GMT
- Manchester United are accused of unprofessionalism following the sacking of manager David Moyes.
- Shakespeare's birds cause US trouble Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:13:58 GMT
- Shakespeare mentions the European Starling once, in Henry IV Part I. That moved a 19th Century Shakespeare enthusiast to introduce the bird into America.
- The man who takes troubled youths to therapy camp Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:06:17 GMT
- As more and more families send their drug and alcohol-addicted kids to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US, more and more become acquainted with the shadowy figure known as the "escort."
- Mali group says French hostage dead Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:17:22 GMT
- Islamist militants in Mali say French hostage Gilberto Rodrigues Leal, who was kidnapped in 2012, is dead.
- Manila and HK resolve hostage row Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:17:29 GMT
- The Philippines and Hong Kong agree to resolve a row over a 2010 bus hijacking in Manila that left eight Hong Kong tourists dead.
- Malta criticised for mass bird shoot Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:51:59 GMT
- A leading British naturalist accuses Malta of failing to prevent large-scale illegal shooting of migratory birds by hunters.