"Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered."
—Wystan Hugh Auden (1907-73) British-born American writer, critic
- Sunshine sees Womad's record sellout Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:02:04 GMT
- Wiltshire's annual Womad festival attracts a capacity crowd for the first time since relocating from Reading in 2007.
- Dinosaurs' extinction 'bad luck' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 04:21:49 GMT
- Dinosaurs might have survived if the asteroid that wiped them out had hit the Earth a few million years later or earlier, a new study suggests.
- California hit by raging wildfires Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:30:42 GMT
- Two fast-moving fires in California destroy 10 homes and force the evacuation of hundreds more, as a man dies in a lightning strike in Los Angeles.
- Six seconds 'can transform health' Sat, 26 Jul 2014 23:46:31 GMT
- Short six-second bursts of vigorous exercise have the potential to transform the health of elderly people, say researchers.
- Fist bumps 'cleaner than handshakes' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 02:00:49 GMT
- Scientists at Aberystwyth University in Wales have shown that more bacteria are transferred by shaking hands, than by fist-bumping or high-fiving.
- Bell & Buttler put England on top Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:48:11 GMT
- Ian Bell stars with a superb 167 as England take control of the third Test against India on day two, declaring on 569-7.
- Spurs close in on Southampton pair Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:52:10 GMT
- Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez are close to joining ex-boss Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham.
- The people who want to be near a tornado Sat, 26 Jul 2014 22:58:37 GMT
- In the US, the number of people who chase tornados is growing - why do they put themselves in danger?
- The cellar that still holds Goering's wine Sat, 26 Jul 2014 23:02:50 GMT
- When Moldova shifted towards the EU, Russia responded by targeting its vineyards - an industry with an intriguing past.
- South Africa shock NZ to win gold Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:01:17 GMT
- South Africa shock New Zealand in the final of the rugby sevens to end the All Blacks' unbeaten Commonwealth Games record.
- Japanese girl 'dismembers classmate' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 06:12:38 GMT
- A high school girl has been arrested on suspicion of killing and dismembering a classmate, Japanese police say.
- France offers Iraq Christians asylum Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:59:45 GMT
- France says it is ready to offer asylum to Iraqi Christians forced to flee by Islamic State militants holding the Iraqi city of Mosul.
- Hero's welcome for freed Venezuelan Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:13:58 GMT
- Venezuelan official Gen Hugo Carvajal is warmly welcomed in Caracas after his release in Aruba, where he had been arrested on drug-trafficking charges.
- Fresh Benghazi clashes kill 38 Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:42:43 GMT
- At least 38 people are killed in clashes between pro-Libyan government troops and Islamist militants in the city of Benghazi, officials say.
- Lightning kills man on US beach Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:59:25 GMT
- One man is killed and several people are hurt following lightning strikes on crowded Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California.