"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:40:10 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Star Trek star Takei's life on film Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:53:52 GMT
- Star Trek star George Takei talks about being his childhood experience of living in an internment camp during World War Two.
- VIDEO: Turkish PM scores football hat-trick Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:28:06 GMT
- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has scored three goals in an exhibition match to open a new stadium in Istanbul.
- VIDEO: Trying to return MH17 victims home Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:32:16 GMT
- A team of Dutch forensic investigators will again try to access the Malaysia Airlines wreckage site in eastern Ukraine.
- VIDEO: War nightmares of Syrian children Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:25:21 GMT
- Millions of Syrian children are caught up in the conflict
- VIDEO: Zoo animals stay cool with ice lolly Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:13:56 GMT
- During the hot summer weather zookeepers are having to come up with ways to keep animals comfortable in the heat.
- Gherkin skyscraper put up for sale Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:56:02 GMT
- London's Gherkin skyscraper is put up for sale, with interest expected from Chinese, other Asian, and US buyers.
- Bank of England bonus clawback plan Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:00:06 GMT
- The Bank of England is expected to unveil on Wednesday a plan which may see rule-breaking bankers return bonuses up to seven years after being awarded them.
- Kurdish oil tanker in US seizure Tue, 29 Jul 2014 18:13:20 GMT
- An oil tanker carrying $100m of Iraqi Kurdish oil off the coast of Texas is set to be seized by US marshals after a judge approved a seizure request from the Iraqi government.
- Sleep sensor smashes Kickstarter goal Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:01:09 GMT
- A 22-year-old British entrepreneur's new sleep-tracking device cracks $1m (£590,000) on the Kickstarter crowdfunding platform in five days.
- OKCupid experiments with 'bad' matches Tue, 29 Jul 2014 14:47:43 GMT
- Dating website OKCupid reveals that it experimented on its users, including putting the "wrong" people together to see if they would connect.
- Government ends prison guitar ban Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:21:56 GMT
- A ban on steel-string guitars in prison cells in England and Wales is reversed after a campaign by rock stars including Billy Bragg and Johnny Marr.
- Anderson 'stellar' in Streetcar Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:36:43 GMT
- Critics say Gillian Anderson gives the performance of her career in A Streetcar Named Desire at London's Young Vic.
- 'Quantum Cheshire Cat' observed Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:36:04 GMT
- Scientists have separated a particle from one of its physical properties - proving a theory known as the "quantum Cheshire Cat".
- How faces drive first impressions Mon, 28 Jul 2014 19:23:36 GMT
- UK scientists model the physical attributes that underpin our social judgements about strangers.