"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
—Erich Fromm (1900-80) German-born American psychoanalyst, emphasized role of social conditioning
- VIDEO: Remembering Ethiopia's famine Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:54:44 GMT
- Thirty years ago the BBC broadcast the first television reports of a devastating famine in Ethiopia. Tesfatsion Dalellew saw the reports and coordinated World Vision's response.
- VIDEO: Louisiana's vanishing voodoo culture Thu, 23 Oct 2014 01:55:59 GMT
- The BBC Pop Up bureau explores the rich heritage of voodoo culture among the Cajun and Creole communities of Louisiana.
- VIDEO: Who is the top dog at Westminster? Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:44:36 GMT
- The Daily Politics meets some of the contestants, and their political owners, in the Westminster dog of the year contest.
- Zuckerberg's Chinese gets mixed reviews Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:06:28 GMT
- Mark Zuckerberg chats in Chinese - to mixed reviews
- Monster shark 'kept whales in check' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:23:19 GMT
- The extinction of the biggest shark known to science may have triggered whales to grow to their current hefty sizes, a study suggests.
- Amazon reports increased losses Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:40:43 GMT
- Amazon shares plunge over 10% after the company reports a third-quarter loss of $437m (£273m), bigger than many analysts expected.
- Tesco shares slump on profits error Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:11:44 GMT
- Tesco shares close 6.5% down after the retailer announced that profits were overstated by £263m, £13m more than the original estimate.
- 'Anti-Facebook' investors dig deep Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:00:08 GMT
- A social network promising never to sell user data or incorporate advertising secures multi-million dollar backing.
- Online abuse 'hits 40% of adults' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:03:22 GMT
- Online harassment, from name-calling to stalking, is a common experience online, a new study finds.
- Knightley to make Broadway debut Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:06:38 GMT
- British actress Keira Knightley is to make her Broadway debut next year in Therese Raquin, a stage version of Emile Zola's classic novel.
- Singer Alvin Stardust dies aged 72 Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:47:03 GMT
- Singer Alvin Stardust, best known for his hit My Coo Ca Choo, dies aged 72 after recently being diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer.
- North America gears up for eclipse Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:43:31 GMT
- Skywatchers in North America will be treated to the final eclipse of the year on Thursday.
- Turtles tracked on swimming frenzy Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:26:38 GMT
- Small tags stuck to the undersides of baby loggerhead turtles are used to follow the animals' frenetic first hours.
- Ebola blood-therapy team set up Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:24:28 GMT
- An international team of scientists is set up to determine the effectiveness of using the blood of Ebola-survivors as a treatment.
- Later sunsets 'make kids more active' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:15:39 GMT
- Moving the clocks forward by one extra hour all year could lead to children getting two more minutes of exercise every day, say UK researchers.