"The lessons taught in great books are misleading. The commerce in life is rarely so simple and never so just."
- Tunisia candidate refuses to concede Mon, 22 Dec 2014 06:26:07 GMT
- Caretaker leader Moncef Marzouki refuses to admit defeat in Tunisia's presidential election after exit polls suggest a win for Beji Caid Essebsi.
- New York killer boasted to onlookers Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:24:56 GMT
- The gunman who shot dead two New York policemen told people "watch what I'm going to do" shortly before the killings, police say.
- Driver attacks French pedestrians Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:36:20 GMT
- A driver shouting the Islamic phrase "God is great" in Arabic runs down pedestrians in the French city of Dijon, injuring 11, French media say.
- S Korea holds cyber drill after hack Mon, 22 Dec 2014 04:03:11 GMT
- South Korea's nuclear plant operator is to conduct drills testing its ability to withstand a cyber-attack, after a data leak and threats from a hacker.
- Pakistan arrests over school attack Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:45:44 GMT
- Pakistan's interior minister says police have arrested several suspects in connection with last week's massacre at a school in Peshawar.
- NHS to 'unlock secrets' using DNA Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:33:41 GMT
- A new genetics project could help "unlock a series of secrets about devastating diseases" including cancer and rare genetic disorders, the NHS says.
- Abbott: House bill cut helped women Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:27:36 GMT
- Australian PM Tony Abbott is criticised for saying that women benefitted from his scrapping of a carbon tax, as they were "particularly focused on the household budget".
- US mulls putting NK on terror list Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:27:26 GMT
- The US is considering putting North Korea back on its terrorism sponsors list, President Barack Obama says, after a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures.
- Cairns murders: Court plea rejected Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:34:46 GMT
- A woman charged with the murders of eight children in the Australian city of Cairns has failed to have her case transferred to a mental health court.
- Argentine town bans beauty contests Mon, 22 Dec 2014 01:50:23 GMT
- A town in Argentina becomes the first in the country to ban beauty queen competitions in its traditional festivities, arguing they are sexist.
- Austrian crooner Udo Juergens dies Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:41:02 GMT
- Udo Juergens, one of the best-known pop stars in the German-speaking world and winner of Eurovision in 1966, dies at the age of 80.
- Oil price fall 'not Opec's fault' Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:54:12 GMT
- Oil-rich Gulf states vow not to cut crude production, blaming speculators and producers outside the Opec group for falling prices.
- VIDEO: Life in Cape Town's notorious gang area Mon, 22 Dec 2014 06:47:33 GMT
- South Africa has one of the highest murder rates in the world and drugs and gun crime fuel the cycle of violence in the Cape Flats, an area notorious for gangs.
- VIDEO: Elton and David's social media marriage Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:33:12 GMT
- Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish have officially married, nine years after they held their civil partnership ceremony.
- VIDEO: Testing out a hoverboard Mon, 22 Dec 2014 00:06:09 GMT
- The BBC's Richard Taylor tests out a hoverboard that uses magnetic levitation.