"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Greeks vote in 'make-or-break' poll Sun, 25 Jan 2015 02:36:59 GMT
- Greeks vote in a general election, with the anti-austerity Syriza and the centre-right New Democracy parties seen as frontrunners in a tight race.
- Boko Haram attacks key Nigeria city Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:48:25 GMT
- Fighters from the Islamist militant group Boko Haram launch an attack on the key city of Maiduguri in north-eastern Nigeria, reports say.
- Eyes on Pluto for historic encounter Sun, 25 Jan 2015 07:48:29 GMT
- Nasa's mission to Pluto gets under way in earnest as the New Horizons probe starts taking the pictures needed for July's close fly-by.
- Failed bid to raise AirAsia fuselage Sun, 25 Jan 2015 10:09:00 GMT
- The Indonesian official leading efforts to recover AirAsia flight QZ850 says the fuselage appears to be too fragile to be lifted, after failed bids to raise it.
- US condolences over Japan 'IS death' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 08:30:28 GMT
- US President Barack Obama calls Japan's PM to offer condolences after the apparent murder of a Japanese hostage by Islamic State.
- Obama starts three-day India visit Sun, 25 Jan 2015 07:11:22 GMT
- US President Barack Obama arrives in India for a three-day visit, protected by one of the country's biggest-ever security operations.
- Libya's Ansar confirms chief's death Sun, 25 Jan 2015 05:05:34 GMT
- Libya's Islamist group Ansar al-Sharia confirms its leader Mohammad al-Zahawi has died, after apparently being wounded in October.
- US planes targeted by bomb threats Sat, 24 Jan 2015 23:36:17 GMT
- Police search two aircraft at Atlanta's airport after receiving "credible" bomb threats - but later give the all-clear.
- Rockets kill 30 in eastern Ukraine Sat, 24 Jan 2015 22:40:12 GMT
- Eastern Ukraine rebels have launched an offensive on the city of Mariupol, one of their leaders says, as rockets kill and injure dozens in the port city.
- Venezuelans protest over shortages Sun, 25 Jan 2015 01:27:13 GMT
- Thousands of Venezuelans attend an opposition march blaming failed government policies for widespread shortages.
- Argentina probes key witnesses Sat, 24 Jan 2015 22:33:06 GMT
- Investigators continue to question key witnesses over the death of top Argentine prosecutor Alberto Nisman, whose body was found at his apartment a week ago.
- Birdman given boost in Oscars race Sun, 25 Jan 2015 08:33:01 GMT
- Michael Keaton's film Birdman emerges as a strong contender for the Academy Awards after being given the Producers Guild of America's top prize.
- VIDEO: Bolivia's festival of miniatures Sun, 25 Jan 2015 04:56:13 GMT
- People in Bolivia have been holding a fair with a difference - everything is in miniature.
- VIDEO: Brazilians told to save water Sat, 24 Jan 2015 05:25:54 GMT
- Brazil's Environment Minister Izabella Teixeira has said the country's most populous region is experiencing its worst drought since 1930.
- VIDEO: Body clocks and blindness Sat, 24 Jan 2015 00:35:43 GMT
- Our eyes are key to resetting our body clocks. So what happens to people who can't see anything at all?