"History is written by the winners. The books say the Indians were bad guys and the whites just needed a little land. It's like, Excuse me, let me take your car. I'm discovering it. I'm putting my flag on your windshield."
—Mario Van Peebles
- Junior officer 'had Korea ship helm' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:55:17 GMT
- The third officer was at the helm of the ferry that capsized off South Korea, investigators say, as divers work to access the sunken hull.
- East Ukraine militants snub deal Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:50:12 GMT
- Pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine refuse to leave official buildings, just hours after an international deal was reached to defuse the crisis.
- Everest avalanche kills 12 guides Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:08:34 GMT
- At least 12 local guides have been killed after an avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest, officials in Nepal say.
- China jails corruption activists Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:10:45 GMT
- China jails four more activists linked to the Xu Zhiyong-founded New Citizens' Movement, which seeks government transparency.
- Tributes for Gabriel Garcia Marquez Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:43:56 GMT
- Presidents and fellow writers pay tribute to Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez ,who has died in Mexico aged 87.
- Ex-BP worker fined over shares trade Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:10:09 GMT
- A BP employee who oversaw the cleanup of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010 agrees to settle a charge of insider trading.
- Peru evacuates Ubinas volcano area Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:36:30 GMT
- The authorities in Peru say they are evacuating 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, in the south of the country, because of increased activity.
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:06:39 GMT
- Embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford kicks off his re-election campaign at an event his brother calls "history in the making".
- Deadly attack on South Sudan UN base Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:44:44 GMT
- Dozens of civilians sheltering in a UN base in the South Sudan city of Bor have been killed in an attack by armed youths, the UN says.
- Royals visit Sydney Easter show Fri, 18 Apr 2014 06:53:40 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Sydney Royal Easter Show on their third day in Australia.
- Iran has 'cut uranium stock' - IAEA Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:04:37 GMT
- Iran has neutralised half of its higher-enriched uranium stockpile, in keeping with a deal agreed earlier this year, the world's nuclear watchdog says.
- 'Most Earth-like planet yet' found Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:04:42 GMT
- A planet that is close in size to the Earth and that could hold water on its surface has been identified by the Kepler telescope.
- VIDEO: Anxious time for Syria's Christians Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:23:39 GMT
- Around the world Christians are marking Holy Week in the run up to Easter, but for Syria's Christians, it is also an anxious time as the country's war drags on into a fourth year.
- VIDEO: Marquez tributes in Latin America Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:25:20 GMT
- The BBC's Will Grant reports from Mexico where readers celebrate the work of author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who lived in the country for 40 years.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 18 Apr 2014 07:38:15 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.