"There are men that will make you books, and turn them loose into the world, with as much dispatch as they would do a dish of fritters."
—Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616) Spanish writer
- Ferguson jury rules on Brown death Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:01:23 GMT
- A grand jury reaches a decision over whether to charge a police officer who killed teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, says his family.
- Iran nuclear talks deadline extended Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:58:28 GMT
- The deadline for a nuclear deal with Iran is extended to the end of June after talks in Vienna failed to reach a comprehensive agreement.
- US defence secretary to step down Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:54:20 GMT
- Chuck Hagel has resigned as US defence secretary after less than two years in the post, following a series of meetings with President Barack Obama.
- Swiss museum to accept 'Nazi art' Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:21:09 GMT
- Switzerland's Bern Art Museum says it will accept hundreds of works of art bequeathed by German Nazi-era art hoarder Cornelius Gurlitt.
- Falling oil price costs Russia $100bn Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:38:05 GMT
- The falling oil price is costing Russia up to $100bn a year, while Western sanctions have hit the country by a further $40bn, its finance minister says.
- Spain priests held over child abuse Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:49:21 GMT
- Police in Granada have arrested three priests and one layman on suspicion of child sex abuse, according to Spain's interior minister.
- Ukraine 'will hold Nato referendum' Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:54:25 GMT
- Ukraine's president says he intends to hold a referendum on joining Nato, in a move likely to anger Russia.
- Women not equal to men, says Erdogan Mon, 24 Nov 2014 16:31:42 GMT
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says women cannot be treated as equal to men, and accuses feminists of rejecting motherhood.
- US death sparks replica gun law call Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:00:35 GMT
- The fatal shooting by US police of a 12-year-old boy brandishing a replica gun in a playground prompts calls for the guns to be more clearly marked.
- Mother of baby left in drain charged Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:41:43 GMT
- Police charge a 30-year-old woman with attempted murder after she abandoned her newborn baby boy in a drain in western Sydney.
- Band Aid single storms to number one Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:32:42 GMT
- Band Aid 30's Do They Know It's Christmas? debuts at number one in the UK singles chart after selling more than 312,000 copies last week.
- Belgian firm 'bulldozed Congo homes' Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:27:56 GMT
- A Belgian mining firm "consistently lied" about the bulldozing of hundreds of homes in DR Congo and should pay compensation, Amnesty International says.
- VIDEO: 1D top American Music Awards Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:05:25 GMT
- One Direction are celebrating three prizes and topping the winners list at the American Music Awards
- VIDEO: Can live events save TV ratings? Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:17:25 GMT
- For programme makers it is becoming increasingly difficult to generate big ratings on TV but the solution may lie in live television, especially in America, as Tom Brook reports
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:10:57 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.