"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Israel rejects Gaza ceasefire plan Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:13:56 GMT
- Israel's security cabinet rejects the Gaza ceasefire proposal put forward by the US Secretary of State John Kerry, Israeli officials say.
- 'No survivors' in Air Algerie crash Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:41:51 GMT
- There are no survivors from the Air Algerie AH5017 passenger jet that crashed in Mali, says the French President, Francois Hollande.
- UK economy back at pre-crisis level Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:42:48 GMT
- The UK economy grew 0.8% in the second quarter and has now recovered the ground lost since the downturn began in 2008, according to official figures.
- Russia angry at US 'smear campaign' Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:48:54 GMT
- Russia's foreign ministry rejects accusations from the US that its troops have been firing on Ukrainian soldiers from within Russia.
- S Leone hunts seized Ebola patient Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:04:22 GMT
- A hunt is launched in Sierra Leone's capital for a woman with Ebola who was forcibly removed from hospital, as Nigeria registers its first case.
- Isis 'overruns' Syrian military base Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:11:02 GMT
- Fighters from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) say they have overrun a large Syrian military base on the outskirts of the city of Raqqa.
- Greste appeal over Egypt conviction Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:20:43 GMT
- Jailed al-Jazeera journalist Peter Greste is to appeal against his conviction and jail term on terrorism-related charges in Egypt, his family says.
- Ferry owner death cause 'unknown' Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:51:40 GMT
- South Korea's forensic agency says it cannot determine the cause of death for the fugitive tycoon blamed for the recent ferry disaster.
- McDonald's in Russian court case Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:22:19 GMT
- Russia's main consumer watchdog takes McDonald's to court, accusing the restaurant chain of quality infringements.
- Wikipedia blocks US Congress edits Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:12:08 GMT
- Administrators have imposed a ban on Wikipedia alterations from the US House of Representatives, following "persistent disruptive editing".
- American reporter held in Iran Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:38:16 GMT
- An American reporter for the Washington Post, his wife and two other US journalists have been detained in Tehran, an Iranian official confirms.
- Thousands welcome Giants to city Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:09:22 GMT
- An estimated 100,000 people line Liverpool's streets to welcome three giant marionettes which will tell the story of the city during World War One.
- VIDEO: Thunderstorms on Air Algerie route Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:00:19 GMT
- BBC Weather's Tomasz Schafernaker says there were thunderstorms in the area where Air Algerie flight AH5017 was flying before it crashed.
- VIDEO: Honour for 101-year-old weatherman Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:38:16 GMT
- America's longest serving volunteer weather observer, 101-year-old Richard G Hendrickson, will be honoured on Sunday for 84 years service.
- VIDEO: Gillan denies Star Wars wig claims Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:02:14 GMT
- Former Doctor Who star Karen Gillan has denied rumours that her hair was donated to the new Star Wars film.