"It may not seem like much, but think of the consequences. One overdue library book today, the collapse of the universe by the end of the week."
- Russian aid convoy 'invades Ukraine' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:32:05 GMT
- Ukraine's President Poroshenko accuses Russia of a "flagrant violation of international law" after Russian humanitarian aid lorries crossed the border without permission.
- Dozens killed in Iraq mosque attack Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:39:18 GMT
- Militants kill at least 64 worshippers at a mosque in an area of eastern Iraq that has seen fierce fighting between the government and IS militants.
- Gaza: Suspected informants executed Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:56:55 GMT
- Hamas executes 18 people suspected of helping Israel, as two Palestinians and an Israeli boy are killed in the latest violence in the Gaza conflict.
- Woman 'saw Congo colonel order rape' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:09:42 GMT
- A woman who was gang-raped and burned in her house tells a DR Congo war crimes trial she saw an army colonel give the orders.
- Syria death toll 'more than 191,000' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:24:58 GMT
- More than 191,000 people have been killed in the Syria conflict up to April, UN says.
- Malaysia observes silence for MH17 Fri, 22 Aug 2014 08:53:56 GMT
- Malaysians observe a moment of silence following the arrival of the bodies of 20 victims of Flight MH17 which crashed in Ukraine in July.
- German policeman in 'cannibal' trial Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:43:57 GMT
- A policeman goes on trial in Germany accused of murdering a businessman who allegedly shared a cannibalism fetish.
- Rain hampers Japan landslide rescue Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:05:13 GMT
- Heavy rain hampers rescue operations in Japan's Hiroshima prefecture where a landslide killed at least 39 people, with 51 still missing.
- Tour buses collide near Egypt resort Fri, 22 Aug 2014 06:29:21 GMT
- Two tourist buses collide near Sharm El-Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai peninsula, leaving 33 people dead and 41 injured, officials say.
- Fed says 'slack' in US jobs market Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:55:52 GMT
- US Federal Reserve chair Janet Yellen says there is still "remaining slack in the labour market".
- Senegal defends Ebola border closure Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:35:03 GMT
- Senegal defends the closure of its border with Guinea because of the deadly Ebola outbreak, after the WHO warned such measures are counter-productive.
- Four white lion cubs born in Germany Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:23:40 GMT
- Four rare white lion cubs - three males and one female - are born at a circus on tour in eastern Germany.
- VIDEO: Gibraltar banishes troublesome monkeys Fri, 22 Aug 2014 05:19:17 GMT
- Gibraltar is planning to banish some of its Barbary macaque population which have become too cheeky or aggressive
- VIDEO: Venezuela to fingerprint shoppers Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:21:32 GMT
- President Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela has announced a mandatory fingerprinting system in supermarkets to combat food shortages and smuggling.
- VIDEO: Russia ban bites Polish apple crop Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:11:38 GMT
- Russian EU food sanctions hit just before the Polish apple crop harvests leaving farmers with a glut of unsold fruit.