"The lessons taught in great books are misleading. The commerce in life is rarely so simple and never so just."
- Deadly blasts hit Gaza and Israel Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:35:52 GMT
- A lull in violence in Gaza is shattered as deadly explosions hit the Palestinian territory's main city and southern Israel.
- MH17 downing 'may be war crime' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:33:05 GMT
- The downing of Malaysian airliner MH17 in eastern Ukraine may constitute a "war crime", UN human rights chief Navi Pillay says.
- Tripoli fuel fire 'out of control' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:12:03 GMT
- A second fuel tank at Libya's biggest fuel storage facility is in flames as the government requests international assistance to contain the huge blaze.
- Russia to appeal $50bn Yukos payout Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:30:51 GMT
- Russia will appeal a court decision ordering it to pay the biggest compensation package to date, amounting to $50bn (£29.5bn) in damages.
- Dinosaurs' extinction 'bad luck' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 04:21:49 GMT
- Dinosaurs might have survived if the asteroid that wiped them out had hit the Earth a few million years later or earlier, a new study suggests.
- Ferry students 'floated from cabins' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:19:55 GMT
- Students who survived South Korea's ferry disaster describe how they floated out of flooded cabins, as the trial of the crew continues.
- Russia offers $110,000 Tor bounty Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:15:09 GMT
- Russia offers 3.9m roubles ($110,000; £65,000) in a contest for ways to crack the identities of users of the Tor network.
- Emirates to stop flying over Iraq Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:24:08 GMT
- Emirates Airline will stop flying over Iraq to protect its passengers from the threat of Islamic militants on the ground, according to reports.
- Nigerian state bans cars during Eid Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:42:28 GMT
- Vehicles in Nigeria's north-eastern Borno state are banned for three days during Eid festivities because of fears of a Boko Haram attack.
- Liberia shuts borders to curb Ebola Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:40:50 GMT
- Most border crossings in Liberia are closed and communities hit by an Ebola outbreak face quarantine to stop the virus spreading.
- Beauty spots still at fracking 'risk' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:04:32 GMT
- Some environmental campaigners say that rules for new fracking licences are not tough enough to protect National Parks.
- Burma Top Gear breached Ofcom rules Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:00:36 GMT
- Top Gear's Burma special in which Jeremy Clarkson used a racial term broke broadcasting guidelines, Ofcom rules.
- VIDEO: Dog friendly buses in Hong Kong Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:58:10 GMT
- A new bus service has been launched in Hong Kong for pet lovers.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:37:27 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Quick-thinking mother saves baby Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:33:56 GMT
- A woman and her baby had a lucky escape, when they narrowly avoided being involved in a car accident in San Francisco.