"Gaylord Perry and Willie McCovey should know each other like a book. They've been ex-teammates for years now."
—Jerry Coleman San Diego Padres announcer
- First US airstrikes under new IS plan Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:46:45 GMT
- The US has carried out airstrikes in support of Iraqi troops under attack by Islamic State, the military says, the first under an expanded mission.
- Ukraine MPs to ratify key EU deal Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:44:30 GMT
- Ukraine's lawmakers are set to ratify a landmark EU association agreement, but the implementation of a free trade deal is delayed.
- Pro-Union leaders in powers pledge Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:59:48 GMT
- The leaders of the UK's three main political parties sign a pledge to devolve more powers to Scotland, if Scots reject independence.
- Convoy hit in Afghan bomb attack Tue, 16 Sep 2014 04:47:50 GMT
- A foreign military convoy has been hit by an explosion in the Afghan capital, Kabul, leaving at least 16 people injured, Afghan sources say.
- Obama 'to pledge troops for Ebola' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 04:29:01 GMT
- President Obama is to announce plans to send 3,000 troops to Liberia to help fight the Ebola virus, US officials say.
- Belgian murderer wins 'right to die' Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:34:41 GMT
- A Belgian man serving a life sentence for rape and murder will be allowed to have doctors end his life, after a landmark ruling.
- Rio police 'corruption' arrests Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:06:34 GMT
- Police in Rio de Janeiro have arrested twenty-two of their own officers for alleged involvement in a bribery and extortion racket.
- Death sentence for Nigeria mutineers Tue, 16 Sep 2014 04:15:51 GMT
- Twelve Nigerian soldiers are sentenced to death for mutiny after shots were fired at their commanding officer in the city of Maiduguri in May.
- Move to cut Bangladesh marriage age Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:43:05 GMT
- The Bangladeshi cabinet proposes measures to lower the marriageable age for men and women, while toughening the penalty for violating the limits.
- Police search after Thailand deaths Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:40:42 GMT
- Police in Thailand continue to search for a man they want to speak to in connection with the deaths of two British tourists on the island of Koh Tao.
- Strong typhoon sweeps past Hong Kong Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:32:00 GMT
- Typhoon Kalmaegi barrels past Hong Kong, closing schools and disrupting flights, on its way to mainland China from the Philippines.
- Hundreds evacuated in US wildfires Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:11:11 GMT
- Two wildfires in California have forced hundreds of people to evacuate, including one lakeside town where almost two dozen buildings burned down.
- VIDEO: Ivory Coast's home-grown tablet Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:01:16 GMT
- How an Ivory Coast company developed a tablet computer which is being introduced in the country's schools.
- VIDEO: Polish theatre will play to the gods Mon, 15 Sep 2014 06:53:28 GMT
- Kasia Madera reports from Poland on the Gdansk Shakespeare Theatre, which has a unique opening roof.
- VIDEO: Prince Harry marks 30th birthday Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:37:22 GMT
- Prince Harry has a two-fold celebration on Monday - his 30th birthday, and the success of the Invictus Games for wounded servicemen and women, which have ended in London.