"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- Ferry disaster captain arrested Sat, 19 Apr 2014 00:17:51 GMT
- The captain of a South Korean ferry that sank this week leaving hundreds of people missing is arrested, along with two crew members.
- US raises Ukraine pressure on Russia Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:15:27 GMT
- The US threatens tougher economic sanctions if Russia fails to abide by a new international deal to help de-escalate the crisis in Ukraine.
- Pope leads Good Friday services Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:55:54 GMT
- Pope Francis highlights the plight of the poor, elderly and abandoned during the Way of the Cross procession in Rome to mark Good Friday.
- Obama signs UN envoy visa ban law Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:19:22 GMT
- President Barack Obama signs into law a measure that would bar entry to any UN ambassador whom the US says has engaged in "terrorist activity".
- Algeria's president gets fourth term Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:54:31 GMT
- Algeria's President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who suffered a stroke last year, wins a fourth term in office taking more than 81% of the vote.
- Mexico shaken by powerful earthquake Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:57:44 GMT
- A 7.2-magnitude earthquake hits states in south and west Mexico, shaking buildings in the capital, but there are no reports of casualties or damage.
- Everest avalanche kills 12 guides Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:08:34 GMT
- At least 12 local guides have been killed after an avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest, officials in Nepal say.
- One fifth of China soil contaminated Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:06:26 GMT
- Almost a fifth of China's soil is contaminated, an official study released by the government has shown.
- Tributes for Gabriel Garcia Marquez Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:16:11 GMT
- Presidents and fellow writers pay tribute to Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez ,who has died in Mexico aged 87.
- Gul rules out Erdogan job swap Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:55:39 GMT
- President Abdullah Gul of Turkey appears to rule out a Russian-style job swap with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan when his term ends later this year.
- Nigeria schoolgirls 'still missing' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:53:11 GMT
- Nigeria's military rows back on an earlier statement that most of the teenage girls abducted by suspected Islamist militants had been freed.
- Pakistan library named 'Bin Laden' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:37:12 GMT
- An Islamic seminary for women in Pakistan's capital renames its library after Osama Bin Laden, the slain al-Qaeda leader.
- VIDEO: Kate meets Manly Beach life-savers Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:11:00 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have made an appearance at Sydney's Royal Easter Show, during their tour of Australia.
- VIDEO: Camel birth shocks sheep farmer Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:43:43 GMT
- A farmer who was hoping for some rest after a busy lambing season has been surprised by his latest newborn - a camel.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 18 Apr 2014 23:37:46 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.