"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Missing airliner 'changed course' Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:32:59 GMT
- Military radar suggests the missing Malaysian airliner turned west, away from its planned route, before disappearing, Malaysia's air force says.
- Kerry rejects Putin Ukraine meeting Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:44:13 GMT
- The US secretary of state rejects an offer of talks with President Vladimir Putin over Ukraine until Moscow engages with US proposals on the crisis.
- Pistorius had 'big love for guns' Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:04:01 GMT
- Oscar Pistorius had a 'big love for guns', a friend tells his murder trial as he describes two firearms incidents involving the Paralympic athlete.
- Clashes after Turkey coma boy dies Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:39:23 GMT
- Clashes erupt outside a Turkish hospital where a teenager has died, nine months after he was hit on the head during anti-government protests.
- Five million Syrian children in need Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:59:25 GMT
- The number of Syrian children in need has more than doubled in the past year to 5.5 million, the United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) says.
- New Zealand to vote on flag change Tue, 11 Mar 2014 03:51:00 GMT
- New Zealand is to hold a referendum on whether to change the 'post-colonial' national flag, Prime Minister John Key announces.
- Colorado reaps $2m in marijuana tax Tue, 11 Mar 2014 02:15:32 GMT
- The US state of Colorado says it collected more than $2m in the first round of tax payments from newly legalised marijuana businesses.
- India Maoists kill 16 policemen Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:24:44 GMT
- Maoist rebels kill at least 16 policemen in an ambush in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh, police say.
- Mt Gox wins US bankruptcy protection Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:57:05 GMT
- Mt Gox, the troubled Japanese bitcoin exchange, wins bankruptcy protection to temporarily halt US legal action alleging fraud.
- RMT general secretary Bob Crow dies Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:38:32 GMT
- General secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union Bob Crow dies aged 52 of a suspected heart attack.
- Former Heinz boss in $110m payday Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:22:57 GMT
- Former Heinz boss William Johnson receives a $110m payday as layoffs continue at the food firm, now owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital.
- Elephants recognise human voices Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:40:14 GMT
- Elephants are able to work out ethnicity, gender and age from the sound of a human voice, according to a study.
- VIDEO: Upbeat mood in Tehran bazaar Tue, 11 Mar 2014 06:53:07 GMT
- The BBC's Lyse Doucet talks to shoppers in a bazaar in North Tehran about their hopes for the future.
- VIDEO: 'Where is this plane?' ask relatives Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:58:11 GMT
- The BBC's John Sudworth speaks to family members waiting for news of their missing relatives who were on board Flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
- VIDEO: OJ to Pistorius, 20 years of TV trials Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:40:40 GMT
- What is the impact of showing court cases on television? Alastair Leithead looks at some high profile cases.