"If I have not read a book before, it is, for all intents and purposes, new to me whether it was printed yesterday or three hundred years ago."
—William Hazlitt (1778-1830) British essayist noted for literary criticism
- India minister vows rape film probe Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:50:24 GMT
- India's home minister promises an inquiry into how a TV crew was allowed to interview a death-row prisoner convicted over the Delhi 2012 gang rape and murder.
- Obama dismisses Netanyahu speech Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:26:01 GMT
- US President Barack Obama reacts scathingly to a speech by Israel's prime minister, saying it offers no viable alternative to his Iran policy.
- Ukraine coal mine blast 'kills 33' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:37:29 GMT
- A suspected gas blast at a coal mine in a rebel-held region of eastern Ukraine kills 33 people and traps about 30, a rebel official tells BBC News.
- Boston Marathon bomb trial to begin Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:51:56 GMT
- The trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, accused of the Boston Marathon bombing two years ago, opens in the city shortly after exhaustive jury selection.
- Putin urges end to political murders Wed, 04 Mar 2015 11:01:06 GMT
- Russia's President Vladimir Putin demands an end to "shameful" political killings in Russia, after the murder of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov.
- Australian pair moved for execution Wed, 04 Mar 2015 08:54:03 GMT
- Two members of the Bali Nine Australian drug smuggling ring are moved to the Indonesian island where they and other foreigners face execution.
- New wave of Paris drone alerts Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:41:54 GMT
- Ten more drones are spotted flying over Paris and reports say police are searching for four men after a chase in the east of the city.
- Royal hoax station committed crime Wed, 04 Mar 2015 02:11:19 GMT
- A radio station broke the law by broadcasting a hoax call with a nurse caring for the Duchess of Cambridge, Australia's high court rules.
- Brazil in huge ‘oil kickback’ probe Wed, 04 Mar 2015 05:33:20 GMT
- Brazil's chief prosecutor seeks to investigate 54 people, including politicians, for alleged involvement in a kickback scheme at state oil firm Petrobras.
- WW2 'Japan battleship wreck found' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:33:08 GMT
- US billionaire Paul Allen announces he has discovered the famous WW2 Japanese battleship, Musashi, more than 70 years after it was sunk.
- China military budget 'to rise 10%' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 06:49:58 GMT
- China's military budget will rise by about 10% in 2015, an official says, in another double-digit increase.
- NFL pair to donate brains for research Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:19:23 GMT
- New York Giants' Steve Weatherford and former NFL player Sidney Rice want their brains to help research into injuries.
- VIDEO: Rio at 450: The city in photographs Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:00:53 GMT
- As Rio celebrates its 450th anniversary, a photographic exhibition offers an insight into the early days of the city's development.
- VIDEO: The man who invented impressionism Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:34:45 GMT
- Will Gompertz takes a look at the Inventing Impressionism exhibition at The National Gallery.
- VIDEO: Black girl 'forced out of Alabama school' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:32:27 GMT
- As the BBC's Aleem Maqbool retraces one of the great civil rights journeys, the march 50 years ago from Selma to Montgomery in Alabama, he finds segregation still happening in a different form.