"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- Mandela daughter recalls final hours Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:07:02 GMT
- Nelson Mandela's daughter Makaziwe tells the BBC about the former president's "wonderful" final moments, with the whole family around him.
- US to fly AU peacekeepers into CAR Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:22:20 GMT
- The US military is to help fly African Union peacekeeping troops from Burundi into the Central African Republic, officials say.
- Deal could 'refill' drying Dead Sea Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:47:06 GMT
- Israel, Jordan and the Palestinian Authority sign a water co-operation pact aimed at one day replenishing the rapidly drying Dead Sea.
- Ukraine police move on opposition Mon, 09 Dec 2013 20:35:41 GMT
- Ukrainian security forces are moving in on anti-government protesters and an opposition party, in a stand-off over government dealings with the EU.
- US and UK 'spy on virtual games' Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:54:54 GMT
- US and British spies infiltrated online fantasy games in an effort to identify terrorist threats, according to media reports.
- Syria army holds Damascus-Homs road Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:02:02 GMT
- Syrian government forces are reported to have taken control of the motorway linking Damascus with the city of Homs, as well as the nearby town of Nabak.
- UN to check Libya uranium stockpiles Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:51:07 GMT
- The United Nations says nuclear inspectors will visit Libya to assess its uranium stockpiles, amid concerns about fragile security in the country.
- Putin amnesty may free Greenpeace 30 Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:46:03 GMT
- An amnesty drafted by Russia's President Putin could free the two jailed Pussy Riot protesters and the Greenpeace Arctic 30 campaigners.
- World's largest airline created Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:21:23 GMT
- American Airlines and US Airways complete their long awaited merger to launch the world's biggest airline.
- Egypt's Brotherhood leader in court Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:50:35 GMT
- Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohammed Badie appears in court in Egypt for the first time since his arrest in August.
- DJ Campbell held in fixing probe Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:02:04 GMT
- Former Premier League footballer DJ Campbell is among six people questioned in connection with allegations of fixing in football matches.
- Facebook develops 'sympathise' button Mon, 09 Dec 2013 13:57:25 GMT
- Facebook develops a "sympathise" button that users could click instead of the "like" button.
- Coldest spot on Earth identified Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:07:50 GMT
- The coldest place on Earth is measured by satellite to be a bitter minus 93.2 Celsius (-135.8F) in the heart of Antarctica.
- Medieval Latin dictionary completed Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:21:26 GMT
- The final part of an epic dictionary of medieval Latin is to be published this week, bringing to a close a project initiated one hundred years ago.
- VIDEO: Bird's-eye view of Thailand rally Mon, 09 Dec 2013 12:48:07 GMT
- The BBC's Jonathan Head describes the scene at a protest rally in the Thai capital Bangkok, as the BBC's aerial camera captures the view from above.