"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- Netanyahu in Israel coalition deal Thu, 07 May 2015 00:05:31 GMT
- Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu agrees an 11th-hour deal to form a new coalition government, seven weeks after winning the general election.
- UK goes to polls in general election Wed, 06 May 2015 22:56:03 GMT
- Millions of people are set to cast their votes in the UK general election with council seats across England also up for grabs.
- Canada votes to expand spy powers Thu, 07 May 2015 01:01:09 GMT
- Canada's lawmakers back a new Anti-Terror Act, dramatically expanding the powers of the country's spy agency.
- 'Last of US-German Moon team' dies Thu, 07 May 2015 01:12:32 GMT
- Oscar Holderer, believed to be the last member of the post-WW2 German team whose rocket took US astronauts to the Moon, dies at 95.
- Yemen asks UN to back ground force Wed, 06 May 2015 23:55:58 GMT
- Yemen urges the UN to authorise the use of foreign ground forces to drive back Houthi rebels, as fighting intensifies in the city of Aden.
- Spacecraft 'to fall back on Friday' Wed, 06 May 2015 21:05:57 GMT
- A Russian spacecraft that has been out of control since launching last week will fall back to Earth and burn up on Friday, scientists say.
- Spanish domestic football suspended Wed, 06 May 2015 20:02:12 GMT
- The Spanish football federation suspends all end-of-season games amid disputes with the government, including over TV rights.
- Lusitania sinking to be marked Thu, 07 May 2015 01:03:32 GMT
- The centenary of the sinking of the British ship Lusitania, which led to the deaths of about 1,200 people, is to be commemorated later.
- 'Rogue police force' uncovered in US Wed, 06 May 2015 21:49:28 GMT
- Three members of the so-called Masonic Fraternal Police Department are charged with impersonating law enforcement officers in California.
- US Aids fight urged by Elton John Wed, 06 May 2015 22:39:14 GMT
- Sir Elton John tells a US Senate panel Aids could be eradicated in his lifetime, but only if the US government continues funding the fight.
- Denmark's security chief resigns Wed, 06 May 2015 21:33:08 GMT
- Danish spy agency head Jens Madsen resigns, hours before the release of a report into February's fatal shootings in Copenhagen by an Islamist.
- Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies Wed, 06 May 2015 17:02:26 GMT
- Hot Chocolate lead singer Errol Brown has died aged 71, his manager confirms.
- VIDEO: Pizza order rescues US hostage Wed, 06 May 2015 18:24:29 GMT
- A woman in Central Florida used an online pizza order to send a distress signal while being held hostage by her knife-wielding boyfriend.
- VIDEO: US-Cuba ferry services to begin Wed, 06 May 2015 18:58:42 GMT
- Authorities in the US approve passenger ferry services between Florida and Cuba for the first time in more than 50 years.
- VIDEO: Reaction to Salman Khan sentence Wed, 06 May 2015 19:09:58 GMT
- The BBC gets reaction from people in Mumbai to the sentencing of Bollywood star Salman Khan to five years in prison.