"You know when you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."
- Israel-Hezbollah clashes kill three Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:27:57 GMT
- Two Israeli soldiers and a Spanish UN peacekeeper are killed as Hezbollah militants trade fire with Israeli forces along the Lebanese border.
- Greece will not default - PM Tsipras Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:16:14 GMT
- New Greek PM Alexis Tsipras says his country will not default on its bailout debts, as bank stocks lose more than 25% of their value.
- Castro issues Guantanamo Bay demand Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:56:53 GMT
- Cuba demands the US hands back the Guantanamo Bay military base before relations with Washington are normalised.
- US Supreme Court blocks executions Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:59:44 GMT
- The US Supreme Court postpones the executions of three death row inmates who say the use of the sedative midazolam in the procedures is cruel.
- Jordan offers IS prisoner swap Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:32:28 GMT
- Jordan offers to free an Iraqi prisoner for a Jordanian pilot held by Islamic State after the group threatens to kill the pilot and another hostage.
- AI will not kill us, says Microsoft Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:54:36 GMT
- The chief of Microsoft's research division says he does not believe artificial intelligence systems are going to wipe out humankind.
- Russia boycotts European rights body Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:20:46 GMT
- The Russian delegation at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe resumes its boycott in protest at Ukraine sanctions.
- France releases anti-jihadist video Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:05:50 GMT
- The French government hits back in the fight against home-gown jihadists by releasing an anti-extremism online video.
- US north-east digs out of heavy snow Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:24:46 GMT
- Residents of New England are digging out after up to 36in (91cm) of snow fell in a day-long blizzard that caused power cuts and paralysed travel.
- Iran picks new United Nations envoy Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:09:26 GMT
- Iran has selected Gholamali Khoshru as its ambassador to the United Nations in New York, less than one year after the US rejected its first choice.
- Cape Town honours last white ruler Wed, 28 Jan 2015 19:07:06 GMT
- Cape Town's city council votes to rename a street after South Africa's last white ruler despite opposition from the national governing party.
- BBC 'should improve local news' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:42:51 GMT
- BBC News should increase both its local and global coverage and improve its digital services if it is to remain relevant, the corporation has said.
- Skull clue to exodus from Africa Wed, 28 Jan 2015 19:43:49 GMT
- An ancient skull discovered in Israel could shed light on the migration of modern humans out of Africa some 60,000 years ago.
- VIDEO: Inside Tripoli's battle-ravaged airport Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:21:01 GMT
- Footage inside Tripoli's abandoned airport shows the extent of damage caused by clashes.
- VIDEO: Ukraine hospitals 'under attack' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:41:36 GMT
- The BBC's Sarah Rainsford meets Andreas Koutepas, the local Medecins Sans Frontieres co-ordinator in Artemivsk, eastern Ukraine, who says that hospitals in the region have come under attack.