"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- China warns on 'illegal' HK protests Thu, 02 Oct 2014 06:34:50 GMT
- China issues a warning against "illegal acts" in Hong Kong, as protesters there vow to step up their campaign if the chief executive does not resign.
- Ebola: 'Five S Leone cases per hour' Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:42:20 GMT
- Save the Children says healthcare demands are far outstripping supply in Sierra Leone and warns that the Ebola outbreak there is getting worse.
- Head of US Secret Service resigns Wed, 01 Oct 2014 23:42:40 GMT
- The head of the US Secret Service, tasked with guarding US President Barack Obama, resigns following recent high-profile security lapses.
- Mexico arrests drug syndicate leader Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:31:16 GMT
- The Mexican authorities say they have captured the head of a notorious drug crime syndicate, Hector Beltran Leyva.
- EU commissioner: Nude celebs 'dumb' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 23:07:14 GMT
- Celebrities who had intimate pictures of themselves leaked onto the internet were "dumb" for taking them, the EU's new digital commissioner says.
- Taliban kill three in Kabul attack Thu, 02 Oct 2014 05:04:36 GMT
- At least three people are killed when a Taliban suicide bomber attacks an Afghan army bus in Kabul, the fourth such attack since Monday.
- Argentina bank governor resigns Thu, 02 Oct 2014 06:30:55 GMT
- Argentina's central bank governor Juan Carlos Fabrega resigns after less than a year in the job, as the country's economic troubles pile up.
- Iraq PM opposes Arab strikes in Iraq Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:02:03 GMT
- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi tells the BBC he "totally" opposes Arab nations joining air strikes against Islamic State in his country.
- Karadzic takes blame for Serb crimes Wed, 01 Oct 2014 16:21:12 GMT
- Radovan Karadzic sums up his defence, saying he takes "moral responsibility" for crimes committed by Bosnian Serbs but denying he ordered killings.
- Top Bahrain rights activist arrested Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:45:17 GMT
- Leading Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab is arrested over Twitter remarks deemed "denigrating" to government institutions.
- Florida music row killer guilty Wed, 01 Oct 2014 21:41:10 GMT
- Michael Dunn is found guilty in the fatal shooting of Jordan Davis, a teenager shot during a row over loud music at a petrol station in Florida.
- Rio 2016 Olympics "are on track" Wed, 01 Oct 2014 23:15:58 GMT
- The International Olympic Committee says it is satisfied with the progress made by Rio de Janeiro in its preparations for the 2016 Olympics.
- VIDEO: Explosions as coalition strikes IS Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:20:57 GMT
- The Syrian town of Kobane is still under siege, two weeks after Islamic State fighters began their assault.
- VIDEO: Girl found 12 years after abduction Wed, 01 Oct 2014 22:41:33 GMT
- A 17-year-old girl has been found in Mexico 12 years after she was abducted by her mother.
- VIDEO: Zookeeper rears leopard in bathroom Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:20:39 GMT
- A rare clouded leopard has been hand-reared in the bathroom of a zookeeper after she was rejected by her mother.