"All of us can think of a book... that we hope none of our children have taken off the shelf. But if I have the right to remove that book from the shelf -that work I abhor- then you also have exactly the same right and so does everyone else. And then we have no books left on the shelf for any of us."
- MH17 dead to be flown to Netherlands Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:17:18 GMT
- The first bodies from Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in Ukraine are due to be flown to the Netherlands, which is holding a day of mourning.
- Lift Gaza 'siege' - Palestinian PM Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:57:24 GMT
- The Palestinian PM calls for the Gaza blockade to be lifted as part of a ceasefire deal, as diplomatic efforts continue to end the conflict.
- Costa Concordia begins final journey Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:02:44 GMT
- The wreck of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia is being towed away for scrap, in one of the biggest maritime salvage operations ever staged.
- Rival to challenge Indonesia result Wed, 23 Jul 2014 05:23:34 GMT
- The losing candidate in Indonesia's presidential election, Prabowo Subianto, will challenge the result in court, his spokesman says.
- Quarantine over China plague death Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:47:27 GMT
- Part of a city in north-west China is sealed off and dozens of people placed in quarantine after a man died of bubonic plague, state media say.
- Suicide car bomb kills 21 in Iraq Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:36:33 GMT
- A suicide car bomb has killed at least 21 people at a police checkpoint in Baghdad's Kadhimiya district, Iraqi police say.
- Airlines suspend flights into Israel Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:07:01 GMT
- US and European airlines suspend flights into Israel's Ben Gurion airport after Israeli police confirmed that a rocket landed one mile away.
- US court allows Arizona execution Wed, 23 Jul 2014 01:39:03 GMT
- The US Supreme Court clears the way for Arizona to execute a murderer who had sought information about the lethal drugs to be used to kill him.
- China detains five over meat scandal Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:55:35 GMT
- China detains five people as part of its probe into a firm that allegedly supplied out of date meat to fast food chains, including McDonald's and KFC.
- Tajik spy charge academic freed Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:31:33 GMT
- An academic working for a British university has been freed after being held for over a month in Tajikistan on suspicion of spying.
- Microsoft profit falls on Nokia loss Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:00:59 GMT
- Technology giant Microsoft reports a 7% fall in profits to $4.6bn in the second quarter, hit by a $692m loss at its newly-acquired Nokia handset division.
- Booker longlist set to be revealed Wed, 23 Jul 2014 04:28:27 GMT
- The longlist for the Man Booker Prize is set to be unveiled, with titles from around the world eligible for contention for the first time in its history.
- Glasgow ready for 2014 Games opening Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:55:06 GMT
- The Queen will formally open the 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in front of a 40,000 crowd at Celtic Park.
- VIDEO: Relatives mourn Israeli soldier deaths Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:41:42 GMT
- Relatives of soldiers killed in Israel in the on-going fighting with Palestinians have spoken to the BBC as the UN secretary-general calls for an end to the conflict.
- VIDEO: Goodluck Jonathan meets girls' parents Wed, 23 Jul 2014 02:42:26 GMT
- Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has had his first meeting with the parents of the 219 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamist extremists.