"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
—Moses Hadas (1900-66)
- Books: ‘How to Be a Friend to a Friend Who’s Sick’ Can Be Harder Than It Sounds Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:29:47 GMT
- Supporting friends in times of serious trouble, like during an illness, can be difficult.
- English Gavels Resound in a Trove Headed to Yale Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:46:24 GMT
- Yale University has acquired a vast and renowned collection of English lawbooks and legal manuscripts assembled by the barrister Anthony Taussig.
- Books of The Times: The Psychic Siblings of ‘Sisterland,’ by Curtis Sittenfeld Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:11:48 GMT
- “Sisterland,” a new novel from Curtis Sittenfeld, centers on identical twin sisters with psychic powers who have chosen contrasting lifestyles.
- Bookshelf: Books on Veterans, Civil Rights and Sacred Places Sat, 15 Jun 2013 01:54:43 GMT
- A book by Philip F. Napoli tells the stories of veterans, including a black soldier and his white comrades and a nurse who staged a hunger strike.
- ArtsBeat: Graphic Books Best Sellers: A New Spin on the Hulk Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:40:51 GMT
- “Indestructible Hulk,” written by Mark Waid and illustrated by Leinil Francis Yu, is at No. 9 on the hardcover list.
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: The Science of Female Desire Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:25:46 GMT
- Daniel Bergner talks about his new book, “What Do Women Want?”
- ArtsBeat: The Sweet Spot Video: The Books of Summer Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:47:12 GMT
- In this week’s video, A. O. Scott, David Carr and others discuss what they will be reading this summer.
- Children’s Books: ‘Octopus Alone,’ by Divya Srinivasan, and More Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:46:36 GMT
- New picture books about a fish and a snail that live in a book, the creator of a submarine, and more.
- Children’s Books: ‘Giant Dance Party,’ by Betsy Bird, and More Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:53:36 GMT
- New picture books about parties include pirates, blue furry giants and a birthday feast.
- Crime: Carl Hiaasen’s ‘Bad Monkey,’ and More Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:29:57 GMT
- Carl Hiaasen’s “Bad Monkey” is another misadventure in the annals of greed and corruption in South Florida, “the Medicare-fraud capital of America.”
- Benjamin Percy’s ‘Red Moon’ Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:29:45 GMT
- In Benjamin Percy’s novel, the misunderstood lycanthrope population is being persecuted. And they’re not going to take it anymore.
- ‘The Dispensable Nation’ and ‘Foreign Policy Begins at Home’ Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:26:04 GMT
- Two foreign policy figures criticize, from differing directions, President Obama’s program.
- Children’s Books: ‘The Servant’ and ‘The Wall’ Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:25:39 GMT
- Two teenage protagonists strain against expectations in the Middle East.
- Children’s Books: ‘The Favorite Daughter’ and ‘The Thing About Luck’ Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:25:28 GMT
- First- and second-generation American girls make their own way in these tales.
- Inside the List Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:24:31 GMT
- Colum McCann says that in writing about Frederick Douglass for his novel “TransAtlantic” (at No. 13 on the hardcover fiction list), he saw surprising parallels to President Obama.
- Paperback Row Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:24:13 GMT
- Paperback books of particular interest.