"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
—Deciderius Erasmus (1466?-1536) Dutch Renaissance scholar, theologian
- ‘Ghosts: A Natural History,’ by Roger Clarke Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:43:39 GMT
- A 500-year history of apparitions, poltergeists, séances and our longing to believe in the paranormal.
- Edward St. Aubyn’s ‘On the Edge’ Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:43:16 GMT
- In Edward St. Aubyn’s novel, a large cast of seekers cross paths at Esalen.
- The Shortlist: Chuck Palahniuk's 'Beautiful You,' and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:25:56 GMT
- New books by Chuck Palahniuk, Merritt Tierce, David Ohle and Fred Venturini.
- Open Book: Spooky Suggestions Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:11:02 GMT
- Four reviewers share their memories of reading creepy books.
- Horror Novels: Reviews of Anne Rice's 'Prince Lestat,' and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:09:31 GMT
- Reviews of Anne Rice’s “Prince Lestat” and several novels about middle-class domestic anxiety.
- Nordic Noir: New Books by Karin Fossum, Jens Lapidus and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:08:06 GMT
- New mysteries by Karin Fossum, Jens Lapidus and more.
- Science Fiction and Fantasy: Robert Jackson Bennett’s 'City of Stairs,' and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:07:41 GMT
- New books by Robert Jackson Bennett, Peyton Marshall and more.
- Thrillers: Tawni O’Dell’s 'One of Us,' and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:07:26 GMT
- New thrillers include Tawni O’Dell’s “One of Us,” Sergey Kuznetsov’s “Butterfly Skin” and more.
- Inside the List Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:06:32 GMT
- Richard Flanagan’s “The Narrow Road to the Deep North,” No. 10 in hardcover fiction, is the ninth consecutive winner of the Man Booker Prize to make our list.
- Lucy Worsley’s ‘Art of the English Murder’ Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:04:27 GMT
- Lucy Worsley examines the creation of British crime fiction and the growing fascination with foul play.
- Editors’ Choice Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:59:05 GMT
- Recently reviewed books of particular interest.
- Paperback Row Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:57:10 GMT
- Paperback books of particular interest.
- In Reversal, Barnes & Noble Executives Say Store Will Remain in the Bronx Thu, 23 Oct 2014 23:45:38 GMT
- Executives said the bookstore in the Bay Plaza in Co-op City will remain open for at least two more years.
- ArtsBeat: Lily King, Roz Chast and Kate Samworth Win Kirkus Prizes Thu, 23 Oct 2014 23:31:17 GMT
- The prizes, which each come with a $50,000 award, were handed out for the first time.
- ‘A Brief History of Seven Killings,’ by Marlon James Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:47:03 GMT
- Marlon James’s novel examines complicated politics and the growth of gang violence in Jamaica.
- Books of The Times: ‘The Secret History of Wonder Woman,’ by Jill Lepore Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:20:24 GMT
- “The Secret History of Wonder Woman,” by Jill Lepore, is fundamentally a biography of Wonder Woman’s larger-than-life creator, William Moulton Marston.