"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- ‘The Monogram Murders,’ Sophie Hannah’s Poirot Mystery Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:51:45 GMT
- Hercule Poirot reappears, courtesy of Sophie Hannah, years after solving his “last case.”
- The Shortlist: Fanny Howe’s ‘Second Childhood,’ and More Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:50:26 GMT
- New books by Simone Muench, Fanny Howe, J. D. McClatchy and Cynthia Hogue.
- Open Book: The Sound of the Words Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:50:10 GMT
- John Darnielle, of the indie-rock band the Mountain Goats, talks about writing songs and his new novel, “Wolf in White Van.”
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: Henry Kissinger’s ‘World Order’ Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:49:18 GMT
- Mr. Kissinger discusses his new book, and Lawrence Wright talks about “Thirteen Days in September: Carter, Begin, and Sadat at Camp David.”
- Inside the List Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:49:10 GMT
- “The Secret Place,” by Tana French, enters the hardcover fiction list at No. 4, just after the critic Laura Miller recently argued that women write the best crime novels.
- Editors’ Choice Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:49:02 GMT
- Recently reviewed books of particular interest.
- Paperback Row Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:48:53 GMT
- Paperback books of particular interest.
- Anne Sinclair, Strauss-Kahn’s Ex-Wife, Resumes a Public Life Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:01:24 GMT
- The French journalist Anne Sinclair, the ex-wife of Dominique Strauss-Kahn, resumes a public life with her memoir of her family’s place in art history.
- ArtsBeat: Man Booker Prize Shortlist Announced Fri, 12 Sep 2014 06:07:07 GMT
- The list includes the Americans Joshua Ferris and Karen Joy Fowler; the British writers Howard Jacobson, Neel Mukherjee and Ali Smith; and the Australian author Richard Flanagan.
- ArtsBeat: The Dirty Details of War Thu, 11 Sep 2014 20:28:44 GMT
- The comics in “Two-Fisted Tales: Volume 3″ and “Bomb Run and Other Stories” show war in its raw detail.