"A classic is a book which people praise and don't read."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- The Shortlist: Naomi Wood’s ‘Mrs. Hemingway,’ and More Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:44:37 GMT
- New books by Naomi Wood, Sally O’Reilly, Nina Siegal and Sheila Kohler.
- ‘The Animals: Love Letters Between Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy’ Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:44:09 GMT
- Letters between Christopher Isherwood and his partner, Don Bachardy, mock the world’s ridiculous spectacle.
- Open Book: Priority Mail Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:43:05 GMT
- A look at past reviews of the letters of Sylvia Plath, Flannery O’Connor and Saul Bellow.
- ‘Suspicious Minds,’ by Joel Gold and Ian Gold Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:19:43 GMT
- A psychiatrist and his philosopher brother discuss how mental illness reflects culture.
- ‘The Bone Clocks,’ by David Mitchell Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:10:29 GMT
- In David Mitchell’s “The Bone Clocks,” a 15-year-old girl runs away from home in 1984 and becomes entrapped in an otherworldly battle between good and evil that will follow her for 60 years.
- Critic’s Notebook: ‘Football’ and Other Books of the Season Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:55:28 GMT
- “Football: Great Writing About the National Sport” is among the new books on the game to greet the season.
- Books of The Times: Gamache Is Back in Louise Penny’s ‘The Long Way Home’ Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:30:34 GMT
- In Louise Penny’s “The Long Way Home,” a battered former detective retreats to an idyllic town, but gets drawn into the mystery of a neighbor’s missing husband.
- Rick Perlstein: By the Book Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:00:01 GMT
- The author, most recently, of “The Invisible Bridge,” would like Chekhov to write his life story. “Sometimes I think he knows me better than I know myself, even when he’s ostensibly writing about Russian ladies over a hundred years ago.”
- Books of The Times: ‘What Stays in Vegas,’ by Adam Tanner Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:08:37 GMT
- Adam Tanner’s “What Stays in Vegas” looks at online data mining, how companies collect personal information to remain competitive and where invasion of privacy begins.
- Katy Simpson Smith’s ‘The Story of Land and Sea,’ and More Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:37:46 GMT
- New books include novels by Katy Simpson Smith, Stephan Eirik Clark, Tania Malik, Vanessa Manko, Bilal Tanweer and Carys Bray.