"I do not mean to suggest that our handsome, newly enlarged library is to be a headquarters of busy bookworms, old and young, routinely absorbing knowledge by the hour while birds sing outside and the Mets fight it out for last place in the National League. On the contrary, a good library is a joyful place where the imagination roams free, and life is actively enriched."
—John K. Hutchens
- In the Book ‘The Killer Detail,’ Considering the Essence of Chic Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:33:21 GMT
- Élisabeth Quin and François Armanet, two of the best-known (and best-dressed) journalists in France, look at the secrets of style.
- Reviving Elaine’s Without Elaine Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:21:54 GMT
- The Writing Room, in the former home of Elaine’s, will pay homage to the famed saloon and its proprietor, but former devotees are divided on the reanimation of a space that attracted the literati.
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: The 100 Notable Books of 2013 Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:25:55 GMT
- Editors at the Book Review discuss this year’s selection of notable fiction, poetry, nonfiction and children’s books.
- Editors’ Choice Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:24:38 GMT
- Recently reviewed books of particular interest.
- ‘Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years, Volume 1,’ by Mark Lewisohn Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:19:41 GMT
- The first of a projected three-volume biography of the Fab Four.
- ‘Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven’ and ‘Richard Wagner: A Life in Music’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:18:39 GMT
- A new book about Richard Wagner, who relentlessly recorded his daily life, and another about Bach, who left hardly any paper trail.
- ‘Play It Again’ and ‘Strings Attached’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:18:22 GMT
- Memoirs about two very different musical journeys.
- ‘Jim Henson: The Biography,’ by Brian Jay Jones Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:17:36 GMT
- A biography of the puppeteer whose influence has hardly waned in the more than two decades since his death.
- ‘Tales of Two Cities,’ by Jonathan Conlin Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:17:24 GMT
- Jonathan Conlin offers a series of strolls through the history of Paris and London.
- John H. Oakley’s ‘Greek Vase’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:17:12 GMT
- An illustrated overview of the main styles and production centers of Greek figurative pottery.