"We should get into the habit of reading inspirational books, looking at inspirational pictures, hearing inspirational music, associating with inspirational friends."
—Alfred A. Montapert
- Books of The Times: In Rainbow Rowell’s ‘Landline,’ Magic May Fix Things Wed, 09 Jul 2014 19:08:18 GMT
- In Rainbow Rowell’s “Landline,” a TV writer whose marriage is failing finds a possible way to fix things by dialing a rotary phone and revisiting the past.
- James Patterson’s ‘Maximum Ride’ Books to Be a Series on YouTube Wed, 09 Jul 2014 16:55:19 GMT
- The series based on the eight young-adult novels will initially include six to 10 episodes of 10 to 15 minutes each.
- Children’s Books: Sarah Powell’s ‘Cardboard Box Book,’ and More Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:00:01 GMT
- Three new crafts books suggest ideas for a range of activities to inspire young artists during their summer vacation.
- Man Charged With Assaulting the Novelist Colum McCann Wed, 09 Jul 2014 03:46:20 GMT
- The New Haven police said that the author was attacked last month after he tried to help the suspect’s wife after a domestic dispute.
- Books of The Times: William T. Vollmann’s ‘Last Stories and Other Stories’ Tue, 08 Jul 2014 19:48:48 GMT
- William T. Vollmann’s “Last Stories and Other Stories” is his first volume of fiction since “Europe Central” (2005), which won a National Book Award.
- Bookends: Is There Anything You Did as a Writer Starting Out That You Now Regret? Tue, 08 Jul 2014 14:00:01 GMT
- Anna Holmes and Leslie Jamison discuss mistakes they made when starting out.
- Op-Ed Contributor: Should Germans Read ‘Mein Kampf’? Mon, 07 Jul 2014 23:24:26 GMT
- A new edition of Hitler’s book may help them confront their past.
- Books of The Times: ‘The New Arabs,’ by Juan Cole Mon, 07 Jul 2014 21:18:30 GMT
- “The New Arabs” by Juan Cole assesses Arab youth movements.
- Critic’s Notebook: Text Games in a New Era of Stories Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:20:30 GMT
- Interactive fiction, which once went by the name “text adventure,” is having a moment.
- Books of The Times: Amy Sohn’s ‘The Actress,’ a Tom Cruise Roman à Clef Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:18:14 GMT
- Amy Sohn’s “The Actress” is a roman à clef about the Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes marriage.
- Lillian B. Rubin, 90, Dies; Wrote on Impact of Gender and Class Norms Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:32:11 GMT
- Dr. Rubin explored identity crises of middle-aged women, life in a working-class family and why marriages often fail.
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: Hillary Rodham Clinton’s ‘Hard Choices’ Sat, 05 Jul 2014 16:02:17 GMT
- Peter Baker talks about Ms. Clinton’s memoir, and Jeff Shesol discusses two new books about the Supreme Court.
- Off The Shelf: A Game of Chairs (and Globalization) Sat, 05 Jul 2014 13:50:11 GMT
- “Factory Man,” a new book, tells of the struggle of John D. Bassett III, scion of a famed furniture family, to save his company in Virginia.
- Hemingway’s Novel Is Reissued With Original First Chapter Fri, 04 Jul 2014 20:52:19 GMT
- A new edition of Ernest Hemingway’s 1926 novel, to be released this month, includes his original first chapter.
- ArtsBeat: The Words, and Works, of Walter Dean Myers Fri, 04 Jul 2014 19:25:28 GMT
- A collection of coverage of Mr. Myers’s work and his contributions in The Times.