"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- ArtsBeat: Seattle Sorts Library Books Faster than New York? Fuhgeddaboudit Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:08:27 GMT
- New York’s library book sorter has proven itself superior to one in Washington state is a friendly competition this year.
- Former Navy SEAL Team Member Investigated for Bin Laden Disclosures Fri, 31 Oct 2014 02:34:35 GMT
- A former Navy SEAL who wrote a best seller about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden is under criminal investigation for disclosing classified material.
- Books of The Times: Emily St. John Mandel’s ‘Station Eleven,’ a Flu Apocalypse Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:54:48 GMT
- Emily St. John Mandel’s novel “Station Eleven” envisions a world in which a strain of flu wipes out most of civilization.
- Horror From Cemetery Dance, EC Archives, Centipede Press Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:23:14 GMT
- On Halloween, a look at three small publishers of horror novels and comics.
- Children's Books: 'Red Knit Cap Girl and the Reading Tree' by Naoko Stoop Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:05:07 GMT
- In the third offering in the Red Knit Cap Girl picture-book series, the heroine and her animal friends create a library in an inviting tree.
- Bruce Springsteen: By the Book Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:00:04 GMT
- The musician and author of the new picture book “Outlaw Pete” likes reading about cosmology: “I find men and women struggling to answer the deepest questions we can ask freeing.”
- Best Illustrated Books Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:50:38 GMT
- The New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Books of 2014, with sample artwork from each.
- ArtsBeat: Have You Got Questions for Gillian Flynn or Cheryl Strayed? Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:48:24 GMT
- Let us know what you would ask these best-selling authors.
- Books of The Times: ‘Respect’ Tells Aretha Franklin’s Life Story Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:02:39 GMT
- “Respect” is David Ritz’s latest biography, this one about the life of Aretha Franklin.
- Newly Released: Books by David Nicholls and Edward St. Aubyn Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:29:59 GMT
- Recent releases include fiction by David Nicholls, Edward St. Aubyn, Yannick Grannec and Ludmilla Petrushevskaya.
- Emmanuel Carrère’s New Book Profiles Edward Limonov Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:32:49 GMT
- Emmanuel Carrère’s new book profiles Edward Limonov, the bad boy of Soviet dissident writers.
- Galway Kinnell, Plain-Spoken Poet, Is Dead at 87 Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:02:23 GMT
- Mr. Kinnell’s works could encompass celebrations of Manhattan street life and meditations on mortality. In 1983, he won a Pulitzer and a National Book Award.
- ArtsBeat: Authors Auction Off Novelistic Naming Rights Tue, 28 Oct 2014 21:33:15 GMT
- Literary figures give readers a literal entree into their novels.
- Books of The Times: ‘The Book of Strange New Things,’ by Michel Faber Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:48:09 GMT
- In Michel Faber’s novel “The Book of Strange New Things,” a missionary dispatched to a faraway planet gets desperate missives from his wife.
- Bookends: Have You Ever Had a Relationship End Because of a Book? Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:00:03 GMT
- Zoë Heller and Anna Holmes discuss the havoc books can wreak on relationships.