"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- In the Book ‘The Killer Detail,’ Considering the Essence of Chic Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:33:21 GMT
- Élisabeth Quin and François Armanet, two of the best-known (and best-dressed) journalists in France, look at the secrets of style.
- Reviving Elaine’s Without Elaine Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:21:54 GMT
- The Writing Room, in the former home of Elaine’s, will pay homage to the famed saloon and its proprietor, but former devotees are divided on the reanimation of a space that attracted the literati.
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: The 100 Notable Books of 2013 Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:25:55 GMT
- Editors at the Book Review discuss this year’s selection of notable fiction, poetry, nonfiction and children’s books.
- Editors’ Choice Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:24:38 GMT
- Recently reviewed books of particular interest.
- ‘Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years, Volume 1,’ by Mark Lewisohn Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:19:41 GMT
- The first of a projected three-volume biography of the Fab Four.
- ‘Inside the Dream Palace,’ by Sherill Tippins Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:19:25 GMT
- Sherill Tippins aims to tell the definitive story of New York’s Hotel Chelsea in “Inside the Dream Palace.”
- ‘Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven’ and ‘Richard Wagner: A Life in Music’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:18:39 GMT
- A new book about Richard Wagner, who relentlessly recorded his daily life, and another about Bach, who left hardly any paper trail.
- ‘Play It Again’ and ‘Strings Attached’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:18:22 GMT
- Memoirs about two very different musical journeys.
- ‘Jim Henson: The Biography,’ by Brian Jay Jones Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:17:36 GMT
- A biography of the puppeteer whose influence has hardly waned in the more than two decades since his death.
- ‘Tales of Two Cities,’ by Jonathan Conlin Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:17:24 GMT
- Jonathan Conlin offers a series of strolls through the history of Paris and London.
- John H. Oakley’s ‘Greek Vase’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:17:12 GMT
- An illustrated overview of the main styles and production centers of Greek figurative pottery.
- Virginia Postrel’s ‘Power of Glamour’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:17:03 GMT
- Virginia Postrel lays out the case for glamour as a life-shaping force, whether for good or for ill.
- ‘Johnny Carson,’ by Henry Bushkin Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:16:20 GMT
- Henry Bushkin, who worked as a lawyer for Johnny Carson, has written a gossipy, breezy memoir about the late-night host.
- ‘This Land That I Love,’ by John Shaw Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:16:03 GMT
- John Shaw’s book tells the story of two American anthems: Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America” and Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land.”
- Nicholas Dawidoff’s ‘Collision Low Crossers’ Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:15:50 GMT
- Nicholas Dawidoff’s case study of the N.F.L., after a year spent with the New York Jets.