"We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. ... It is time now to write the next chapter-and to write it in the books of law."
—Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-73) 36th US President, Democrat
- Bookshelf: Chronicling the Monumental Fri, 11 Jul 2014 19:03:40 GMT
- A look at the books “Gotham Unbound: The Ecological History of Greater New York,” “Liberty’s Torch: The Great Adventure to Build the Statue of Liberty,” and “Carving a Niche for Himself: The Untold Story of Luigi Del Bianco.”
- ArtsBeat: Digital Humanists to Catalog Notes Scrawled in Books Fri, 11 Jul 2014 18:07:15 GMT
- A new project will analyze handwritten notes scrawled in the margins of centuries-old books.
- ArtsBeat: ‘The Escape Artist’: Thomas Beller Talks About J. D. Salinger Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:10:56 GMT
- Mr. Beller’s new book is part biography of the reclusive Salinger and part memoir.
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: ‘Elephant Company’ Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:01:05 GMT
- Vicki Constantine Croke discusses her new book, about the role of elephants in World War II.
- ArtsBeat: In Brooklyn, a Trove of Hebrew Books From Centuries Past Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:48:49 GMT
- An exhibition at the Chabad headquarters in Crown Heights features Hebrew book published between 1475 and 1574.
- ‘Blood Feud’ vs. ‘Hard Choices’ in Hillary Clinton Book Battle Fri, 11 Jul 2014 01:46:21 GMT
- Edward Klein’s “Blood Feud: The Clintons vs. the Obamas,” a 320-page unauthorized and barely sourced account, has toppled “Hard Choices” from its spot on the best-seller list.
- Long Days, Extra Innings Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:22:07 GMT
- New art books include textured dreamscapes by Lee Bontecou and full-size reproductions of Charles M. Schulz’s “Peanuts.”
- Books of The Times: Cristina Henríquez’s ‘The Book of Unknown Americans’ Thu, 10 Jul 2014 18:33:20 GMT
- In Cristina Henríquez’s “The Book of Unknown Americans,” an array of characters from Latin America talk directly about their reasons for coming to the United States.
- Larry McMurtry: By the Book Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:00:01 GMT
- The author, most recently, of “The Last Kind Words Saloon” says that meth-heads are the worst part of being a bookseller. “Anyone can walk into our bookstore in the age of meth — it’s a constant worry.”
- Books of The Times: In Rainbow Rowell’s ‘Landline,’ Magic May Fix Things Wed, 09 Jul 2014 19:08:18 GMT
- In Rainbow Rowell’s “Landline,” a TV writer whose marriage is failing finds a possible way to fix things by dialing a rotary phone and revisiting the past.
- James Patterson’s ‘Maximum Ride’ Books to Be a Series on YouTube Wed, 09 Jul 2014 16:55:19 GMT
- The series based on the eight young-adult novels will initially include six to 10 episodes of 10 to 15 minutes each.
- Children’s Books: Sarah Powell’s ‘Cardboard Box Book,’ and More Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:00:01 GMT
- Three new crafts books suggest ideas for a range of activities to inspire young artists during their summer vacation.
- Man Charged With Assaulting the Novelist Colum McCann Wed, 09 Jul 2014 03:46:20 GMT
- The New Haven police said that the author was attacked last month after he tried to help the suspect’s wife after a domestic dispute.
- Books of The Times: William T. Vollmann’s ‘Last Stories and Other Stories’ Tue, 08 Jul 2014 19:48:48 GMT
- William T. Vollmann’s “Last Stories and Other Stories” is his first volume of fiction since “Europe Central” (2005), which won a National Book Award.
- Bookends: Is There Anything You Did as a Writer Starting Out That You Now Regret? Tue, 08 Jul 2014 14:00:01 GMT
- Anna Holmes and Leslie Jamison discuss mistakes they made when starting out.