"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- A Dylan Thomas Centennial in New York Sat, 25 Oct 2014 02:10:38 GMT
- The 92nd Street Y is marking the centennial of Dylan Thomas’s birth with an exhibition and a revival of his 1953 radio play “Under Milk Wood” this weekend.
- ArtsBeat: Book Review Podcast: James Risen’s ‘Pay Any Price’ Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:28:30 GMT
- Mr. Risen discusses his new book about the war on terror, and Lucy Worsley talks about “The Art of the English Murder.”
- ArtsBeat: Changing the Debate: Katha Pollitt Talks About ‘Pro’ Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:25:30 GMT
- Ms. Pollitt discusses her new book about the pro-choice side’s tactics in the abortion debate.
- Art and Outrage Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:02:23 GMT
- New books that circumvent established norms and smash accepted verities to smithereens.
- Ali Mazrui, Scholar of Africa Who Divided U.S. Audiences, Dies at 81 Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:58:59 GMT
- Professor Mazrui, who had taught since 1989 at Binghamton University, set off national criticism with his 1986 television documentary, “The Africans: A Triple Heritage.”
- Critic's Take: Art of Darkness Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:45:08 GMT
- Must the revolutionary artist ignore the basic laws of decency that govern our world in order to transform that world?
- ‘The Immortal Evening,’ by Stanley Plumly Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:44:52 GMT
- Keats, Wordsworth and Lamb attend a famous dinner party.
- ‘The Poet and the Vampyre,’ by Andrew McConnell Stott Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:44:36 GMT
- An 1816 “ghost story” contest had lasting literary consequences.
- Jean Thompson’s ‘The Witch: And Other Tales Re-told’ Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:43:57 GMT
- Folk and fairy tales are loosely reimagined and rendered with scrupulous realism.
- ‘Ghosts: A Natural History,’ by Roger Clarke Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:43:39 GMT
- A 500-year history of apparitions, poltergeists, séances and our longing to believe in the paranormal.
- Edward St. Aubyn’s ‘On the Edge’ Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:43:16 GMT
- In Edward St. Aubyn’s novel, a large cast of seekers cross paths at Esalen.
- The Shortlist: Chuck Palahniuk's 'Beautiful You,' and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:25:56 GMT
- New books by Chuck Palahniuk, Merritt Tierce, David Ohle and Fred Venturini.
- Open Book: Spooky Suggestions Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:11:02 GMT
- Four reviewers share their memories of reading creepy books.
- Horror Novels: Reviews of Anne Rice's 'Prince Lestat,' and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:09:31 GMT
- Reviews of Anne Rice’s “Prince Lestat” and several novels about middle-class domestic anxiety.
- Nordic Noir: New Books by Karin Fossum, Jens Lapidus and More Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:08:06 GMT
- New mysteries by Karin Fossum, Jens Lapidus and more.