"Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."
—Sir John Lubbock (1834-1913) British banker, politician, naturalist. British Wild Flowers
- Author Wrestles With Wolves In 'Treat Us Like Dogs' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:51:00 -0500
- NPR's Scott Simon talks to Carolyn Chute about her new novel, Treat Us Like Dogs and We Will Become Wolves. The book follows a reporter as she investigates a remote commune and its charismatic leader.
- 'Recasting' India's Economic Policy For The Free Market Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:03:13 -0500
- Fortune India editor-at-large Hindol Sengupta's new book chronicles India's lurching progress away from a state-controlled economy to a more open system that encourages business and investment.
- NPR Bestsellers: Paperback Nonfiction, Week Of November 20, 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:03:20 -0500
- Provence, 1970 examines the early American modern food movement and its pioneers, including James Beard and Julia Child. It appears at No. 13.
- NPR Bestsellers: Paperback Fiction, Week Of November 20, 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:03:20 -0500
- A Michigan man sets out to prove that apparent phone calls from the beyond are actually a hoax in The First Phone Call From Heaven, appearing at No. 10.
- NPR Bestsellers: Hardcover Nonfiction, Week Of November 20, 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:03:20 -0500
- George W. Bush details the life of his father, George H.W. Bush, in 41. It debuts at No. 2.
- NPR Bestsellers: Hardcover Fiction, Week Of November 20, 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:03:20 -0500
- Debuting at No. 1, Stephen King's Revival centers on the disturbing relationship between a disgraced minister and a drug-addicted rock musician.
- NPR Bestsellers: Week Of November 20, 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:03:20 -0500
- The lists are compiled from weekly surveys of close to 500 independent bookstores nationwide.
- These 'True Tales' Add Nuance To The Immigration Discussion Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:27:47 -0500
- President Obama announced an executive action on immigration this week. For an in-depth look at the issue, author Gustavo Arellano recommends two nonfiction collections about Mexican immigrants.
- Book News: Daniel Handler Apologizes For Jokes At National Book Awards Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:17:00 -0500
- Handler, better known as Lemony Snicket, hosted Wednesday's ceremony — and made a few racially charged jokes while doing so. He apologized after a backlash Thursday. Also: A Beach Boy plans a memoir.
- Book Review: 'Citizen: An American Lyric' Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:24:59 -0500
- Poet Tess Taylor reviews "Citizen: An American Lyric" by Claudia Rankine. It's been nominated for a National Book Award.
- 'Redeployment' Explores Iraq War's Physical And Psychic Costs Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:09:55 -0500
- In his short story collection, former Marine Phil Klay takes his experience in Iraq and clarifies it. On Wednesday, he won the National Book Award for fiction.
- Sen. Mitch McConnell's Political Life, Examined, In 'The Cynic' Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:09:00 -0500
- When journalist Alec MacGillis started looking into McConnell's early politics, he says he was "startled" by how moderate the Republican used to be. The book traces McConnell's shift to the right.
- Book News: Ursula K. Le Guin Steals The Show At The National Book Awards Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:26:00 -0500
- In a ceremony that saw both icons and newcomers honored, it was a fiery speech by the science fiction legend that had attendees talking. Also: A Jonathan Safran Foer book gets adapted to ballet.
- There's More To Asking Than Just Art Thu, 20 Nov 2014 07:03:00 -0500
- Amanda Palmer's new The Art of Asking outlines a well-intentioned but hazy philosophy of asking for help. Critic Annalisa Quinn says Palmer glosses over societal realities of who has access to help.
- 'Redeployment,' 'Age Of Ambition' Win National Book Awards Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:57:00 -0500
- The veteran-penned short story collection and the nonfiction look at modern China and its citizens joined youth literature winner Brown Girl Dreaming and poetry winner Faithful and Virtuous Night.