"The lessons taught in great books are misleading. The commerce in life is rarely so simple and never so just."
- Australia to knight Prince Philip Mon, 26 Jan 2015 06:35:43 GMT
- Prime Minister Tony Abbott uses Australia Day to announce a knighthood for Prince Philip, sparking criticism from lawmakers.
- Ukraine vows to 'calm' fighting Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:45:43 GMT
- Ukraine's President Poroshenko vows to "calm" fighting with pro-Russia rebels in east Ukraine, a day after 30 people died in Mariupol.
- Nisman reporter flees Argentina Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:16:12 GMT
- A journalist believed to have been the first to report the death of prosecutor Alberto Nisman says he has fled Argentina, fearing for his life.
- Libya's Ansar confirms chief's death Sun, 25 Jan 2015 05:05:34 GMT
- Libya's Islamist group Ansar al-Sharia confirms its leader Mohammad al-Zahawi has died, after apparently being wounded in October.
- US talk show pioneer Franklin dies Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:54:53 GMT
- Joe Franklin, who was a New York TV host for 43 years and is credited by some as having invented the talk show format, dies at the age of 88.
- SSE to cut gas prices by 4.1% Mon, 26 Jan 2015 07:54:01 GMT
- Energy company SSE says it is cutting its domestic gas prices by 4.1% from 30 April, saving the average household £28 a year.
- Heartburn 'could be sign of cancer' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:06:52 GMT
- A health campaign is urging people not to ignore heartburn, because it could be a sign of stomach or oesophageal cancer.
- BHS takeover approaches considered Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:34:21 GMT
- Sir Philip Green is considering selling the department store chain BHS after receiving "several approaches".
- Clare's Law abuse disclosures made Mon, 26 Jan 2015 05:27:22 GMT
- A scheme allowing people to find out if their partner has a history of domestic violence has been used more than 1,300 times, police figures show.
- Week in pictures: 17-23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:51:44 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:37:17 GMT
- Images from around the world: 23 January
- Picture power: Tear gas at Kenyan primary school Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:08:54 GMT
- Story behind the Kenyan protest photo
- Your pictures: Cold weather Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:30:04 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "cold weather"
- Instagram: The 'homeless' chief executive Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:32:55 GMT
- Cillin Perera's daily photographic project
- In Pictures: Snowfall around the UK Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:04:13 GMT
- Images from around the UK