"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- US probes $2m Uganda 'currency scam' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:42:50 GMT
- US authorities have arrested an American in Uganda for allegedly leading a large international counterfeiting ring.
- Japan 'could preserve tsunami sites' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:11:21 GMT
- A panel in Japan puts forward a plan to protect four buildings damaged by the 2011 tsunami and earthquake, including a former elementary school.
- EU leaders focus on investment boost Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:47:46 GMT
- EU leaders begin a Brussels summit focusing on an ambitious investment plan for Europe and the bloc's strained ties with Russia.
- Troops sent to Mexico vigilante town Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:13:14 GMT
- Hundreds of federal security forces are on patrol in the western Mexican town of La Ruana after a deadly shootout between rival vigilante groups.
- Palestinian peace plan put before UN Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:35:02 GMT
- A draft resolution setting out a Palestinian timetable for a peace deal with Israel is submitted to the UN Security Council by Jordan.
- Boston bombing suspect in court Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:51:13 GMT
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev appears in a US court for the first time since July 2013, ahead of his trial in January.
- Three 'murders' part of abuse inquiry Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:10:29 GMT
- Detectives are investigating three alleged murders as part of an inquiry into historical child abuse involving politicians and establishment figures, as they appeal for information about an apartment block in London.
- Fugitive in light aircraft arrest Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:52:30 GMT
- One of the UK's most wanted fugitives is arrested while attempting to return to Britain in a light aircraft.
- Boris flight passenger admits assault Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:59:06 GMT
- An airline passenger who was calmed down by Boris Johnson on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Heathrow admits assault and being drunk on an aircraft.
- English council funds 'cut by 1.8%' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:50:24 GMT
- English councils will face an average cut of 1.8% in their overall spending power, the government says.
- Your pictures of the year 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:52:07 GMT
- A selection of the best readers' photos
- In pictures: US-Cuban relations Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:53:41 GMT
- Story of Cuba's relationship with the US
- Picture power: Under the dress Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:55:37 GMT
- Actress America Ferrera red-faced
- In pictures: Pakistan school attack aftermath Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:20:29 GMT
- Families have begun burying their dead