"I do not believe that civilization will be wiped out in a war fought with the atomic bomb. Perhaps two-thirds of the people of the Earth might be killed, but enough men capable of thinking, and enough books, would be left to start again, and civilization could be restored."
—Albert Einstein (1875-1955) German-born American theoretical physicist, theories of relativity, philosopher
- African comedian replaces Jon Stewart Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:16:02 GMT
- Comedian Trevor Noah will replace Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, it is announced.
- Myanmar drafts ceasefire with rebels Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:33:21 GMT
- Myanmar's President Thein Sein witnesses the signing of a draft ceasefire agreement between the government and 16 rebel groups.
- MH17 appeal for Buk missile witnesses Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:08:00 GMT
- A team investigating the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane over eastern Ukraine appeals to witnesses who saw a Buk missile launcher in the area.
- Death toll from Chile floods rises Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:51:13 GMT
- The number of people killed in flash floods in northern Chile rises to 17 while the search continues for 20 people still missing.
- Dozens dead near Yemen refugee camp Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:47:55 GMT
- At least 40 people have died in a blast near a refugee camp in western Yemen, aid workers say, but officials deny Saudi air strikes were the cause.
- Silk Road agents charged with theft Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:04:28 GMT
- Two former US agents are charged with stealing digital currency that came into their possession during an investigation into the notorious marketplace.
- Election focus on economy and health Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:30:37 GMT
- The Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems make pledges on employment, taxation and mental health while being pressed for more details on planned cuts and tax rises.
- B&Q set to close about 60 stores Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:12:46 GMT
- Kingfisher, the owner of DIY chains B&Q and Screwfix, is to close about 60 B&Q stores in UK and Ireland over the next two years.
- E-cigarette use 'high among teens' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:00:53 GMT
- A substantial number of teenagers are experimenting with e-cigarettes, even those who have never smoked, a study suggests.
- 'End cuts and rebalance economy' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:38:57 GMT
- Plaid Cymru will use its influence in a hung parliament to "unleash Wales' economic potential", party leader Leanne Wood says, as the party launches its election manifesto.
- No work, no football in time of Ebola Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:44:49 GMT
- How Ebola still affects love lives and wallets
- Election 2015 in pictures: 30 March Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:47:45 GMT
- Parliament is dissolved and the race for No 10 begins
- Your pictures: Docks Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:44:05 GMT
- Readers' photographs on the theme of docks.
- Week in pictures: 21-27 March 2015 Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:02:40 GMT
- A selection of the best news photographs from around the world, taken over the past week.
- Kathmandu graffiti Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:08:49 GMT
- The walls of the Nepali capital come to life