"Books must follow sciences, and not sciences books."
—Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626) English philosopher, essayist, statesman
- Lava flow creeps toward Hawaii homes Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:55:09 GMT
- Rain has helped tamp down smoke from a creeping lava flow, which continues to threaten residents of a Hawaiian village.
- Penalties 'do not stop' drug use Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:00:23 GMT
- There is no link between tough laws and levels of illegal drug use, a Home Office study finds, sparking a policy row within the coalition government.
- MPs debating UK drugs policy Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:53:37 GMT
- The House of Commons is debating government policy on drugs, with MPs from all parties calling for a review of 40-year old legislation on drug misuse.
- Man arrested over McConville murder Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:16:57 GMT
- Police arrest a 73-year-old man in Dunmurry, on the outskirts of Belfast, in connection with the murder of Jean McConville.
- Sarah Payne's father 'found dead' Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:09:50 GMT
- The father of murdered schoolgirl Sarah Payne is found dead at his home in Kent, according to reports.
- Day in pictures: 29 October Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:07:03 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 29 October
- Day in pictures: 28 October Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:03:14 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 28 October
- Bolshoi behind bars Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:44:58 GMT
- Costumes on show at a former prison
- Day in pictures: 27 October Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:59:55 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 27 October
- Week in pictures: 18-24 October 2014 Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:02:34 GMT
- Top news images from 18-24 October
- Day in pictures: 23 October Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:36:21 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 23 October
- Your pictures: Steps Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:11:23 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "steps"
- In pictures: Feline focus Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:05:39 GMT
- An online exhibition of cats
- The Leonardo hidden from Hitler in case it gave him magic powers Thu, 30 Oct 2014 00:29:32 GMT
- The Leonardo hidden from Hitler in case it gave him special powers
- Unexpected ways to wake up your brain Thu, 30 Oct 2014 00:35:46 GMT
- Is eating sage better for your alertness than coffee?