"If a man writes a book, let him set down only what he knows. I have guesses enough of my own."
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German writer, scientist, master of poetry, drama and novel
- Extinct giant penguin found in shed Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:03:45 GMT
- A bird that would have towered above today's largest species is rediscovered thanks to 3D printing.
- DR Congo 'coup plotters' acquitted Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:40:56 GMT
- A group of 15 men accused of plotting to assassinate the president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Joseph Kabila, have been acquitted by a South African court.
- Safety inquiry after Hughes's death Fri, 28 Nov 2014 07:37:33 GMT
- Cricket Australia will hold an investigation into player safety following the death of Test batsman Phillip Hughes.
- Austria arrests 13 jihadi suspects Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:00:16 GMT
- Police in Austria arrest 13 people suspected of radicalising young people and recruiting them to fight in Syria.
- Mexican president to overhaul police Thu, 27 Nov 2014 22:28:18 GMT
- Mexico's president announces plans for a massive overhaul of police, in the wake of the disappearance of 43 students in September.
- Gaza floods prompt emergency status Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:04:32 GMT
- After days of heavy rain, the UN declares a state of emergency amid severe flooding in the Gaza Strip, still damaged from the summer war.
- 'Anti-government' gun attack in Texas Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:01:36 GMT
- A gunman who attacked downtown buildings and the Mexican Consulate in Austin, Texas, before being shot may have had political reasons, say police.
- Referee Owens backs gay abuse ban Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:34:12 GMT
- Referee Nigel Owens backs the ban of two fans for shouting homophobic abuse at him - and says he would be willing to meet them.
- Seven jailed for sex abuse of girls Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:05:19 GMT
- Seven men are jailed for up to 11 years for their parts in gang which raped and abused girls in Bristol.
- Police officer stabs dog to death Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:11:26 GMT
- A dog is stabbed to death by a police officer during a drugs search in south-east London.
- Abuse doctor 'had 170,000 images' Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:24:59 GMT
- A paedophile doctor who abused young cancer patients had more than 170,000 images of patients on a spy pen, a court hears.
- Week in pictures: 22-28 November 2014 Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:52:19 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- Lewis Hamilton: A photographer's view Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:29:41 GMT
- A photographer's view
- Your pictures: Insects Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:12:17 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "insects"
- Day in pictures: 26 November 2014 Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:54:02 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 25 November