"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Mayweather & Pacquiao swap numbers Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:27:25 GMT
- Welterweight greats Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather swap phone numbers at an NBA game in their first ever meeting.
- Tsipras names new Greek cabinet Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:19:32 GMT
- Greek PM Alexis Tsipras forms a new cabinet with Yanis Varoufakis as finance minister and right-winger Panos Kammenos as defence minister.
- Fidel Castro reacts to US-Cuba thaw Tue, 27 Jan 2015 05:42:25 GMT
- Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro appears to have given tacit approval to recent moves by Cuba and the US to restore diplomatic relations.
- Houthis release Yemen leader's aide Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:52:49 GMT
- Shia Houthi rebels in Yemen free the chief of staff of President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi who they abducted 10 days ago.
- Obama visits new Saudi King Salman Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:31:19 GMT
- US President Barack Obama cuts short an India trip to lead a bipartisan delegation to Saudi Arabia following the death of King Abdullah.
- Many asthma diagnoses 'may be wrong' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:46:32 GMT
- More than a million UK adults may be wrongly diagnosed as asthmatic and be receiving unnecessary medication as a result, an NHS watchdog warns.
- Snow warning issued for Scotland Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:24:22 GMT
- Yellow "be aware" warnings are issued by the Met Office for frequent snow showers across Scotland, Northern Ireland and the north of England.
- Coupons 'help pregnant smokers quit' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:42:48 GMT
- Researchers say offering financial incentives worth £400 to pregnant smokers makes them more likely to quit the habit.
- Cable aide quits over fracking vote Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:53:39 GMT
- Lib Dem MP Tessa Munt resigns as a parliamentary aide to Business Secretary Vince Cable after voting against the government on fracking,
- In pictures: Post-War office buildings listed Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:36:35 GMT
- Striking buildings new to the National Heritage List
- Day in pictures: 27 January 2015 Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:25:39 GMT
- Images from around the world: 27 January
- Taking the plunge Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:54:51 GMT
- Cold Water Swimming Championships
- In pictures: Church of England's first woman bishop consecration Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:40:06 GMT
- Church of England's first female bishop
- In pictures: Australia Day 2015 Mon, 26 Jan 2015 06:10:08 GMT
- The country celebrates its official national day
- Day in pictures: 26 January 2015 Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:12:12 GMT
- Images from around the world: 26 January