"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- Burkina orders Sankara exhumation Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:07:09 GMT
- Burkina Faso orders the remains of Thomas Sankara, the iconic ex-president killed in a 1987 coup, to be exhumed for formal identification.
- Film-maker defends India rape film Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:09:09 GMT
- A British film-maker defends her documentary about the 2012 gang rape in Delhi, hours after Indian authorities launch a slew of legal action.
- President Obama urged to arm Ukraine Fri, 06 Mar 2015 03:03:02 GMT
- Senior figures in Congress urge the US president to send lethal defensive weapons to Ukraine in its fight against pro-Russian rebels.
- Argentina prosecutor 'was murdered' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:41:20 GMT
- Independent tests show that Argentine prosecutor Alberto Nisman was deliberately killed, his family says, ruling out accident or suicide.
- Syria Nusra chief 'killed in strike' Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:07:41 GMT
- The military commander of Syria's al-Nusra Front militant group, Abu Homam al-Shami, is reportedly killed in an air strike.
- Boston victim 'spotted bomber’ Thu, 05 Mar 2015 23:05:13 GMT
- A man who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombings told the court that he locked eyes with one of the bombers just before the attack.
- Population 'up 565,000 since 2011' Fri, 06 Mar 2015 06:16:02 GMT
- England's population has risen by more than half a million since 2011 because of immigration, a major analysis by Oxford University estimates.
- Drivers get 10-minute parking leeway Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:10:58 GMT
- Drivers will get 10 minutes' grace before being fined if they stay too long in council-owned car parks in England, the government announces.
- End 'fixation' with A&E wait target Fri, 06 Mar 2015 00:28:16 GMT
- The four-hour waiting time target for NHS accident and emergency units across the UK should be downgraded as it is distorting priorities, experts say.
- Green MP calls for SNP alliance Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:23:54 GMT
- Green Party MP Caroline Lucas calls for a "progressive alliance" with the SNP as her party holds what it says is its largest ever conference.
- Day in pictures Thu, 05 Mar 2015 13:17:54 GMT
- Images from around the world: 5 March
- How did WW2 change the way people dressed? Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:39:26 GMT
- How did WW2 change the way people dressed?
- In pictures: Cape Town wildfires Wed, 04 Mar 2015 14:59:27 GMT
- Blazes on the outskirts of Cape Town
- Day in pictures: 4 March 2015 Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:19:05 GMT
- Images from around the world: 4 March
- Your pictures: Adventure Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:07:41 GMT
- Readers' photographs on the theme of adventure