"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Six killed in Kashmir landslide Tue, 31 Mar 2015 04:54:17 GMT
- At least six people have died in landslides following floods in Indian-administered Kashmir, officials say.
- French elections see swing to right Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:21:03 GMT
- Local elections give a big boost to France's conservative UMP, led by ex-President Nicolas Sarkozy, and inflict a bruising blow to the ruling Socialists.
- Death toll from Chile floods rises Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:51:13 GMT
- The number of people killed in flash floods in northern Chile rises to 17 while the search continues for 20 people still missing.
- Dozens dead near Yemen refugee camp Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:47:55 GMT
- At least 40 people have died in a blast near a refugee camp in western Yemen, aid workers say, but officials deny Saudi air strikes were the cause.
- Boston bombing prosecution rests Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:58:03 GMT
- The prosecution in the Boston Marathon bombing trial rests its case against defendant Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, charged with 30 counts related to the attack.
- Parties focus on economy and health Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:15:05 GMT
- Pledges on the economy, businesses and mental health are expected from Westminster's party leaders as general election campaigning continues.
- E-cigarette use 'high among teens' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:00:53 GMT
- A substantial number of teenagers are experimenting with e-cigarettes, even those who have never smoked, a study suggests.
- 'End cuts and rebalance economy' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:38:57 GMT
- Plaid Cymru will use its influence in a hung parliament to "unleash Wales' economic potential", party leader Leanne Wood says, as the party launches its election manifesto.
- More veterans seek mental health aid Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:45:59 GMT
- A mental health charity which treats military veterans says referrals have increased by 26% in the last year.
- Election 2015 in pictures: 30 March Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:47:45 GMT
- Parliament is dissolved and the race for No 10 begins
- Your pictures: Docks Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:44:05 GMT
- Readers' photographs on the theme of docks.
- Week in pictures: 21-27 March 2015 Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:02:40 GMT
- A selection of the best news photographs from around the world, taken over the past week.
- Kathmandu graffiti Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:08:49 GMT
- The walls of the Nepali capital come to life
- Day in pictures: 27 March 2015 Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:31:23 GMT
- Images from around the world: 27 March
- In pictures: I'm not voting because... Thu, 26 Mar 2015 04:30:52 GMT
- Denise Felkin's MA project