"We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. ... It is time now to write the next chapter-and to write it in the books of law."
—Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-73) 36th US President, Democrat
- 'Eight million' hit by Nepal quake Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:00:43 GMT
- Eight million people were affected by the Nepal earthquake and 1.4m are in need of food aid, the UN says, as the death toll tops 4,000.
- UK economic growth slows to 0.3% Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:19:15 GMT
- The rate of economic growth halved in the three months to the end of March, official figures show, continuing a slowdown that began six months ago.
- Deadly landslide in north-east Brazil Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:16:57 GMT
- The city of Salvador in north-eastern Brazil is hit by deadly landslides, leaving 14 people dead and hillside homes swept away.
- Syrian dissident flees to Spain Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:40:38 GMT
- Prominent Syrian dissident Louay Hussein evades a travel ban and flees to Spain before the end of his trial for "weakening national sentiment".
- Fan struck by flying baseball bat Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:09:41 GMT
- A baseball fan was struck in the face by a flying bat and carried from the stands on a stretcher on Monday night.
- UK aid leaves for Nepal on RAF plane Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:44:14 GMT
- An RAF flight carrying UK aid and British army troops, including Gurkhas, is flying to Nepal, where many British and Irish nationals are missing.
- Entertainer Keith Harris dies Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:22:27 GMT
- Entertainer Keith Harris, best known for performances with his puppet Orville, has died, his agent says.
- Bank fines to 'fund apprenticeships' Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:49:13 GMT
- The Conservatives will use fines imposed on Deutsche Bank for its involvement in Libor rate-fixing to fund 50,000 apprenticeships, David Cameron says.
- Clegg outlines budget 'red line' Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:02:57 GMT
- The Liberal Democrats will not enter into another coalition government unless an emergency "stability budget" is held within 50 days of the 7 May election, Nick Clegg has said.
- Heavily loaded Tue, 28 Apr 2015 01:15:05 GMT
- Queuing for the journey from Italy to Tunisia
- The race to cover a mosque in mud Tue, 28 Apr 2015 03:01:44 GMT
- Thousands race to replaster a massive mosque in a day
- Nepal earthquake: Before and after Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:28:58 GMT
- Before and after satellite images and maps
- In pictures: Nepal earthquake aftermath Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:50:39 GMT
- Images from Nepal as it struggles to cope with devastating earthquake
- Election 2015 in pictures: 27 April Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:29:04 GMT
- Images from the campaign trail: 27 April
- In pictures: London Marathon runners Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:13:56 GMT
- Unique fashions at the 35th London Marathon