"A Book of Verses undeneath the Bough, A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread - and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness- Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"
—Omar Khayyám (1050?-1123) Persian poet, mathematician, astronomer
- Suu Kyi's gate to be sold at auction Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:08:09 GMT
- The metal gate of Nobel prize-winning Burmese politician Aung San Suu Kyi's house is to be auctioned, with a starting price of $200,000.
- S Sudan foes agree to end conflict Sun, 01 Feb 2015 22:25:47 GMT
- South Sudan's President Salva Kiir and rebel commander Riek Machar sign a deal, committing to end a conflict that has devastated the country.
- Abbott pledge after Queensland rout Sun, 01 Feb 2015 09:11:22 GMT
- Australian PM Tony Abbott vows he will learn the lessons of an election rout in Queensland but insists government is not a "popularity contest".
- Crowds flock to leftist Madrid rally Sat, 31 Jan 2015 18:42:27 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people attend a rally in central Madrid by radical leftists Podemos, as they look to build on Syriza's recent victory in Greece.
- Chile proposes to end abortion ban Sat, 31 Jan 2015 23:01:56 GMT
- Chilean President Michelle Bachelet announces plans to end a total ban on abortions in the predominantly Roman Catholic country.
- Bahrain strips 72 of citizenship Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:30:05 GMT
- The government of Bahrain revokes the nationalities of 72 citizens for damaging national security, the state BNA news agency has reported.
- New Jersey governor begins UK visit Sun, 01 Feb 2015 04:01:38 GMT
- New Jersey's Governor and US Republican presidential hopeful Chris Christie will start a three-day visit to Britain and is due to meet PM David Cameron.
- Pupils 'must know times tables by 11' Sun, 01 Feb 2015 15:17:50 GMT
- All children in England will be expected to know up to their 12 times table when they leave primary school under plans announced by the education secretary.
- Man scattering ashes swept into sea Sun, 01 Feb 2015 17:22:17 GMT
- A 51-year-old man is missing after being swept out to sea while scattering his sister's ashes in North Cornwall.
- Fundraiser meets mugging victim Sun, 01 Feb 2015 20:18:38 GMT
- A woman who set up a fundraising page for a man who was mugged outside his home meets the victim as donations top £250,000.
- Prison 'book ban' rule relaxed Sun, 01 Feb 2015 16:07:25 GMT
- A rule that stopped inmates receiving books in prison is relaxed - with books now allowed via four "approved retailers".
- Week in pictures: 24-30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:21:55 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- In pictures: Destruction in Kobane Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:23:34 GMT
- Devastation caused by fighting in Syrian town
- Day in pictures: 30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:20:45 GMT
- Images from around the world: 30 January
- At the pump Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:47:07 GMT
- Petrol stations around the world