"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- 'Injured parrot' was Christmas hat Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:00:17 GMT
- A woman is left "mortified" after calling in the Scottish SPCA to rescue an injured parrot that turned out to be a Christmas hat.
- Deadly twin bombings hit Nigeria Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:15:55 GMT
- At least 26 people have been killed in bombings in two major cities in northern Nigeria, with commuters and shoppers targeted, witnesses say.
- Counting begins in Kashmir elections Tue, 23 Dec 2014 04:02:34 GMT
- Counting of votes begins in Indian-administered Kashmir, where PM Narendra Modi's BJP party is trying to win power for the first time.
- Spanish princess to face fraud trial Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:40:55 GMT
- The Spanish king's sister, Princess Cristina, is to face a tax fraud trial over alleged links to her husband's dealings.
- Argentine town bans beauty contests Mon, 22 Dec 2014 01:50:23 GMT
- A town in Argentina becomes the first in the country to ban beauty queen competitions in its traditional festivities, arguing they are sexist.
- Oil price fall 'not Opec's fault' Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:54:12 GMT
- Oil-rich Gulf states vow not to cut crude production, blaming speculators and producers outside the Opec group for falling prices.
- Alstom to pay US $772m bribery fine Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:48:14 GMT
- Alstom agree to pay $772m in criminal penalties to settle charges with the US Department of Justice.
- Fatal bin lorry crash investigated Tue, 23 Dec 2014 05:06:32 GMT
- Police investigate what caused a bin lorry to veer out of control in Glasgow's busy city centre, killing six and injuring eight others.
- Northern Ireland talks continuing Mon, 22 Dec 2014 22:27:26 GMT
- Talks between the Northern Ireland political parties are continuing at Stormont, with Tuesday morning set as a deadline for agreement.
- Council pothole repair cash listed Tue, 23 Dec 2014 00:10:59 GMT
- The money allocated to local authorities in England to tackle potholes and improve local roads is announced by the Department for Transport.
- Tackle loneliness to 'shield' A&E Tue, 23 Dec 2014 00:46:49 GMT
- NHS leaders warn loneliness could cause a major spike in emergency admissions
- Day in pictures: 22 December 2014 Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:57:04 GMT
- Images from around the world: 22 December
- Brighton Winter Solstice in pictures Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:59:19 GMT
- Brighton's annual Burning the Clocks
- Week in pictures: 13-19 December 2014 Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:42:43 GMT
- News photo from around the world
- Picture power: Doused with milk Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:12:51 GMT
- Treated for the effects of pepper spray