"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves."
—Claude Adrien Helvetius (1715-71) French philosopher, encyclopedias
- China village 'shuns' boy with HIV Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:35:19 GMT
- About 200 villagers in China's Sichuan province have petitioned authorities to "isolate" an HIV-positive eight-year-old, report local media.
- EU leaders focus on investment boost Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:05:18 GMT
- EU leaders are to consider ways to unlock billions of euros of investment and policy on Russia, at a Brussels summit.
- Troops sent to Mexico vigilante town Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:13:14 GMT
- Hundreds of federal security forces are on patrol in the western Mexican town of La Ruana after a deadly shootout between rival vigilante groups.
- Palestinian peace plan put before UN Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:35:02 GMT
- A draft resolution setting out a Palestinian timetable for a peace deal with Israel is submitted to the UN Security Council by Jordan.
- Sony cancels The Interview release Thu, 18 Dec 2014 02:37:23 GMT
- Sony cancels the release of The Interview, a film about a fictional plot to kill North Korea's leader, after major cinemas decide not to screen it.
- Three 'murders' part of abuse inquiry Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:10:29 GMT
- Detectives are investigating three alleged murders as part of an inquiry into historical child abuse involving politicians and establishment figures, as they appeal for information about an apartment block in London.
- Fugitive in light aircraft arrest Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:10:14 GMT
- One of the UK's most wanted fugitives is arrested while attempting to return to Britain in a light aircraft.
- Boris flight passenger admits assault Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:59:06 GMT
- An airline passenger who was calmed down by Boris Johnson on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Heathrow admits assault and being drunk on an aircraft.
- English council funds 'cut by 1.8%' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:50:24 GMT
- English councils will face an average cut of 1.8% in their overall spending power, the government says.
- Your pictures of the year 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:52:07 GMT
- A selection of the best readers' photos
- In pictures: US-Cuban relations Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:53:41 GMT
- Story of Cuba's relationship with the US
- Picture power: Under the dress Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:55:37 GMT
- Actress America Ferrera red-faced
- In pictures: Pakistan school attack aftermath Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:20:29 GMT
- Families have begun burying their dead
- Picture power: A scar on the landscape Wed, 17 Dec 2014 01:56:57 GMT
- Brazil's worst drought in 80 years
- Day in pictures: 16 December 2014 Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:41:30 GMT
- Images from around the world: 16 December