"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- AU backs anti-Boko Haram troops plan Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:04:56 GMT
- The African Union backs plans for a West African task force of 7,500 troops to fight Boko Haram militants.
- Tamil becomes Sri Lanka's top judge Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:16:01 GMT
- Sri Lanka's president appoints a Tamil judge as the new chief justice - the first member of the country's minority community to hold the post in decades.
- Srebrenica massacre verdicts upheld Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:10:05 GMT
- The former Yugoslavia war crimes tribunal upholds convictions against five men for their role in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.
- Deadly blast hits Mexico hospital Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:35:00 GMT
- A gas tank lorry explodes outside a maternity and children's hospital in Mexico City, killing a woman and a baby.
- Curfew in Kirkuk amid IS attacks Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:53:14 GMT
- A curfew is imposed in the Iraqi city of Kirkuk following fierce overnight fighting between Kurdish Peshmerga forces and Islamic State militants.
- US rejects Guantanamo Bay demand Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:55:02 GMT
- The US dismisses a Cuban demand to hand back the Guantanamo Bay naval base as part of efforts to normalise bilateral ties.
- Churchill's funeral anniversary marked Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:06:45 GMT
- A day of events is held to mark the 50th anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill's funeral, with the boat that carried his coffin repeating its journey on the Thames.
- Body found in missing mum search Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:15:11 GMT
- A body is found in a lake by police searching for a mother-of-four who has been missing for more than a week.
- Burglars jailed for lecturer attack Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:35:21 GMT
- Four burglars who took part in a raid which left a lecturer "unrecognisable" are given lengthy jail sentences.
- Mitchell 'turned down' libel deal Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:30:28 GMT
- Former cabinet minister Andrew Mitchell refused an offer to settle his "Plebgate" libel case just two months before he lost, court papers show.
- Week in pictures: 24-30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:21:55 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- In pictures: Destruction in Kobane Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:23:34 GMT
- Devastation caused by fighting in Syrian town
- At the pump Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:47:07 GMT
- Petrol stations around the world
- In pictures: UK snow 29 January 2015 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:04:39 GMT
- Pictures from around the country
- Your pictures: City skylines Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:50:51 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "city skylines"