"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Russians 'will not cave in' to West Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:22:59 GMT
- Russia says it will not "cave in" to pressure, following a fresh set of US, EU and Canada sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine.
- Cuba 'will stay on' communist path Sat, 20 Dec 2014 22:23:11 GMT
- Cuban President Raul Castro hails a recent move to normalise relations with the US but stresses that Havana will not change its political system.
- Israel launches Gaza air strike Sat, 20 Dec 2014 06:37:58 GMT
- Israel launches an air strike on an alleged Hamas site in Gaza, in the first such action since the declaration of a truce in August.
- Afghan Guantanamo inmates freed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 23:46:45 GMT
- Four Afghan detainees at the US prison in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba have been sent back to their home country, the Pentagon says.
- Ambulance wait times 'may increase' Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:45:11 GMT
- Target times for ambulances to reach some seriously ill patients in England could be lengthened, a document leaked to the BBC shows.
- Ken Clarke attacks 'silly' EU debate Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:57:23 GMT
- Pro-Europeans have got to "organise themselves properly" to defeat the "silly" arguments for leaving the EU, former Tory Chancellor Ken Clarke says.
- Ben Haenow nabs Christmas number one Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:49:42 GMT
- X Factor winner Ben Haenow wins the race for the Christmas number one single, with his song Something I Need.
- Be honest on cuts, says Mandelson Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:21:24 GMT
- Former Business Secretary Lord Mandelson says Labour's shadow cabinet has to "play as a team" and be up front about public spending cuts.
- Week in pictures: 13-19 December 2014 Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:42:43 GMT
- News photo from around the world
- Picture power: Doused with milk Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:12:51 GMT
- Treated for the effects of pepper spray
- Day in pictures: 18 December 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:31:09 GMT
- Images from around the world: 18 December
- In pictures: US-Cuban relations Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:53:41 GMT
- Story of Cuba's relationship with the US
- Picture power: Under the dress Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:55:37 GMT
- Actress America Ferrera red-faced
- In pictures: Pakistan school attack aftermath Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:20:29 GMT
- Families have begun burying their dead
- Picture power: A scar on the landscape Wed, 17 Dec 2014 01:56:57 GMT
- Brazil's worst drought in 80 years