"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- Gunmen kill Pakistan polio workers Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:45:14 GMT
- Four polio vaccination workers are shot dead and three injured in the south-west Pakistani city of Quetta.
- Germany backs female directors quota Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:10:55 GMT
- Top German companies are told to ensure that 30% of supervisory board positions are held by women from 2016 under a law agreed late on Tuesday.
- Colombia rebels release two soldiers Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:47:42 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebels release two soldiers taken hostage earlier this month, a first step towards resuming peace talks.
- Raqqa air strikes death toll rises Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:38:31 GMT
- Almost 100 people are now believed to have died in a series of government air strikes on the Islamic State-held northern city of Raqqa on Tuesday.
- Snow snarls up Thanksgiving getaway Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:29:19 GMT
- Harsh weather along the US east coast has disrupted one of the busiest travel days ahead of the country's Thanksgiving holiday.
- Commission to urge Scottish tax power Wed, 26 Nov 2014 20:53:04 GMT
- The commission on devolving powers to the Scottish Parliament is to recommend full control over income tax rates and bands, the BBC understands.
- Gangster Frankie Fraser dies aged 90 Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:08:23 GMT
- The criminal and contemporary of the Kray twins, "Mad" Frankie Fraser, has died aged 90 in hospital, former associate Eddie Richardson confirms.
- Huge cocaine haul found in furniture Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:33:04 GMT
- Police discover one of the biggest amounts of cocaine ever found in Northern Ireland in a delivery of furniture.
- Concerns over terror exclusion plans Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:04:55 GMT
- The UK's reviewer of terrorism laws raises concerns about plans to exclude people from the UK if they go abroad to fight with extremist groups, as a new counter-terror bill is published
- Your pictures: Insects Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:12:17 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "insects"
- In pictures: Ferguson riots aftermath Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:28:14 GMT
- Scenes of widespread damage in Ferguson
- Day in pictures: 25 November 2014 Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:34:05 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 25 November
- In pictures: Ruling sparks rioting in US town of Ferguson Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:45:45 GMT
- Night of unrest follows a jury's decision
- The dangerous beauty of the Himalayas Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:15:29 GMT
- The dangerous beauty of the Himalayas
- Week in pictures: 15-21 November 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:43:22 GMT
- The best news photos from around the world