"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Cruise ship hit by engine room fire Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:28:13 GMT
- A cruise ship with more than 1,000 people on board was left temporarily without power off the coast of Morocco after a fire in the engine room.
- Brazil in 'worst water crisis' Sat, 24 Jan 2015 15:08:58 GMT
- Brazil's Environment Minister Izabella Teixeira says the country's most populous states are experiencing their worst water crisis since 1930.
- Libya's Ansar confirms chief's death Sun, 25 Jan 2015 05:05:34 GMT
- Libya's Islamist group Ansar al-Sharia confirms its leader Mohammad al-Zahawi has died, after apparently being wounded in October.
- US planes targeted by bomb threats Sat, 24 Jan 2015 23:36:17 GMT
- Police search two aircraft at Atlanta's airport after receiving "credible" bomb threats - but later give the all-clear.
- Farage hits back at defecting MEP Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:25:43 GMT
- An MEP who has defected to the Conservatives had "reached the end of the road" with UKIP, party leader Nigel Farage says.
- BHS takeover approaches considered Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:34:21 GMT
- Sir Philip Green is considering selling the department store chain BHS after receiving "several approaches".
- Tories 'close to TV debates deal' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:01:19 GMT
- The Conservatives are close to agreeing to new plans for pre-election television debates, the party's chairman Grant Shapps says.
- Can Labour pay for university fee cut? Sun, 25 Jan 2015 19:33:02 GMT
- We may be about to learn how much of a constraint Labour's promise to make no unfunded spending promises really is.
- Week in pictures: 17-23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:51:44 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:37:17 GMT
- Images from around the world: 23 January
- Picture power: Tear gas at Kenyan primary school Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:08:54 GMT
- Story behind the Kenyan protest photo
- Instagram: The 'homeless' chief executive Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:32:55 GMT
- Cillin Perera's daily photographic project
- In Pictures: Snowfall around the UK Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:04:13 GMT
- Images from around the UK
- Day in pictures: 21 January 2015 Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:55:54 GMT
- Images from around the world: 21 January
- In pictures: Infrastructure in focus Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:22:11 GMT
- Winning images from this year's RICS photo competition