"History is a living horse laughing at a wooden horse. History is a wind blowing where it listeth. History is no sure thing to bet on. History is a box of tricks with a lost key. History is a labyrinth of doors with sliding panels, a book of ciphers with the code in a cave of the Saragossa sea. History says, if it pleases, Excuse me, I beg your pardon, it will never happen again if I can help it."
—Carl Sandburg (1878-1967) American writer known for free verse, Smoke and Steel
- Japan 'could preserve tsunami sites' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:11:21 GMT
- A panel in Japan puts forward a plan to protect four buildings damaged by the 2011 tsunami and earthquake, including a former elementary school.
- EU leaders focus on investment boost Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:47:46 GMT
- EU leaders begin a Brussels summit focusing on an ambitious investment plan for Europe and the bloc's strained ties with Russia.
- Troops sent to Mexico vigilante town Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:13:14 GMT
- Hundreds of federal security forces are on patrol in the western Mexican town of La Ruana after a deadly shootout between rival vigilante groups.
- Dozens of Egyptian Islamists jailed Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:05:09 GMT
- Dozens of Egyptian Islamists accused of torching churches and police stations after the ousting of former President Mohamed Morsi are jailed for up to 15 years.
- 'Slenderman' accused to stand trial Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:46:27 GMT
- Both girls accused of stabbing a Wisconsin classmate in order to please an online fictional character are competent to stand trial, a judge says.
- Three 'murders' part of abuse inquiry Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:10:29 GMT
- Detectives are investigating three alleged murders as part of an inquiry into historical child abuse involving politicians and establishment figures, as they appeal for information about an apartment block in London.
- Staff 'bussed in to plug jail gaps' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:34:37 GMT
- Nearly 250 prison officers are being bussed across the country to fill gaps at other jails because staff shortages are so acute this Christmas, according to leaked documents.
- Fugitive in light aircraft arrest Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:52:30 GMT
- One of the UK's most wanted fugitives is arrested while attempting to return to Britain in a light aircraft.
- English council funds 'cut by 1.8%' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:50:24 GMT
- English councils will face an average cut of 1.8% in their overall spending power, the government says.
- Your pictures of the year 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:52:07 GMT
- A selection of the best readers' photos
- In pictures: US-Cuban relations Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:53:41 GMT
- Story of Cuba's relationship with the US
- Picture power: Under the dress Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:55:37 GMT
- Actress America Ferrera red-faced
- In pictures: Pakistan school attack aftermath Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:20:29 GMT
- Families have begun burying their dead
- Picture power: A scar on the landscape Wed, 17 Dec 2014 01:56:57 GMT
- Brazil's worst drought in 80 years
- Day in pictures: 16 December 2014 Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:41:30 GMT
- Images from around the world: 16 December