"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- 'Dozens killed' in Ukraine fighting Sat, 31 Jan 2015 22:30:40 GMT
- At least 40 people, including soldiers and civilians, are reported to have died in eastern Ukraine as ceasefire talks end without progress.
- DNA tests for babies in Mexico blast Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:08:36 GMT
- Nine babies who survived a gas explosion at a Mexican hospital are given DNA testing so they can be reunited with their parents.
- Egypt leader warns of 'long battle' Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:10:15 GMT
- Egypt faces a long and difficult battle with militants, the country's president says, in his first remarks since a deadly attack in the Sinai region.
- Canadian PM seeks wider terror laws Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:52:48 GMT
- Encouraging terror attacks against Canada will become a crime under legislation proposed by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- Death row Briton appeals for UK help Sun, 01 Feb 2015 08:54:28 GMT
- A British woman, sentenced to death for drug smuggling in Bali, has written to the UK government asking for legal help or funding for an appeal.
- Pupils 'must know times tables by 11' Sun, 01 Feb 2015 11:33:26 GMT
- All children in England will need to know up to their 12 times table when they leave primary school under plans announced by the education secretary.
- England thumped in tri-series final Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:53:39 GMT
- England crumble to a 112-run tri-series final defeat in their last competitive match before the World Cup in Perth.
- Fundraiser to meet mugging victim Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:23:01 GMT
- A woman who set up a fund-raising page for a man who was mugged outside his home is to meet the victim later as donations top the £200k mark.
- Week in pictures: 24-30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:21:55 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- In pictures: Destruction in Kobane Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:23:34 GMT
- Devastation caused by fighting in Syrian town
- Day in pictures: 30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:20:45 GMT
- Images from around the world: 30 January
- At the pump Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:47:07 GMT
- Petrol stations around the world
- In pictures: UK snow 29 January 2015 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:04:39 GMT
- Pictures from around the country
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January
- Shetland celebrates Up Helly Aa Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:37:46 GMT
- Shetland's spectacular annual re festival