"Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."
—Sir John Lubbock (1834-1913) British banker, politician, naturalist. British Wild Flowers
- India vows rapist interview inquiry Wed, 04 Mar 2015 16:02:23 GMT
- India's home minister promises an inquiry into how a TV crew was allowed to interview a death-row prisoner convicted over the Delhi 2012 gang rape and murder.
- Putin urges end to political murders Wed, 04 Mar 2015 13:18:15 GMT
- Russian President Vladimir Putin demands an end to "shameful" political killings in Russia, after the murder of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov.
- Argentine president case challenged Wed, 04 Mar 2015 23:35:06 GMT
- An Argentine prosecutor appeals against last week's decision to throw out controversial allegations against President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.
- Iraq in bid to encircle IS in Tikrit Wed, 04 Mar 2015 13:13:41 GMT
- Iraqi soldiers and Shia militiamen are seeking to surround Islamic State fighters in Tikrit, on the third day of an operation to retake the city.
- US high court divided over Obamacare Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:31:05 GMT
- The US Supreme Court appears sharply divided over a healthcare law challenge that could threaten health insurance for eight million Americans.
- Cameron: I'll only do one TV debate Thu, 05 Mar 2015 01:22:21 GMT
- David Cameron says he will take part in only one TV debate ahead of the general election featuring seven party leaders, amid a growing row over the issue.
- Further child benefit cap considered Thu, 05 Mar 2015 02:44:28 GMT
- The Conservatives are considering limiting child benefit to three children, which could save £300m a year in the long term, BBC Newsnight learns.
- Fraud office probes Bank auctions Thu, 05 Mar 2015 04:02:54 GMT
- The Serious Fraud Office is investigating liquidity auctions held by the Bank of England during the financial crisis, the Bank says.
- Exam changes 'risk school problems' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:46:04 GMT
- Head teachers warn the overhaul of the exam system is likely to cause significant problems for schools.
- In pictures: Cape Town wildfires Wed, 04 Mar 2015 14:59:27 GMT
- Wildfires on outskirts of Cape Town in South Africa
- Day in pictures: 4 March 2015 Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:19:05 GMT
- Images from around the world: 4 March
- Your pictures: Adventure Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:07:41 GMT
- Readers' photographs on the theme of adventure
- In pictures: Dealing with addiction Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:01:08 GMT
- David Stewart's pictures of people coping with addiction
- Geneva Motor Show: What to look out for Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:00:17 GMT
- Models to keep an eye out for at Geneva Motor Show
- Leonard 'Spock' Nimoy: Life in pictures Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:08:51 GMT
- Leonard 'Spock' Nimoy has died