"If none of us ever read a book that was 'dangerous,' had a friend who was 'different' or joined an organization that advocated 'change,' we would all be just the kind of people Joe McCarthy wants. Whose fault is that? Not really [McCarthy's]. He didn't create this situation of fear. He merely exploited it, and rather successfully."
—Edward R (oscoe) Murrow (1908-65) American news anchor, broadcast journalist
- First arrests in India nun rape case Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:51:44 GMT
- Indian police make their first arrests in the case of an elderly nun who was raped in West Bengal, sparking outrage.
- Italy court to rule on Kercher death Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:51:58 GMT
- Italy's top court is to rule whether to uphold the convictions of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito for the 2007 murder of UK student Meredith Kercher.
- Flooding hits Chile desert region Thu, 26 Mar 2015 05:49:27 GMT
- Flash floods in one of the driest regions in the world - Chile's Atacama desert - leave two people dead and 24 missing, officials say.
- Hamas rocket attacks 'war crimes' Thu, 26 Mar 2015 01:11:49 GMT
- Rocket and mortar attacks by Palestinian militant groups during last summer's conflict in Gaza amounted to war crimes, Amnesty International says.
- 'Cat litter mix' closed nuclear site Fri, 27 Mar 2015 01:35:25 GMT
- A team of experts says a mixture that included organic cat litter forced the closure of the only underground nuclear waste repository in the US.
- Policeman arrested over wife murder Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:07:17 GMT
- A serving police officer is arrested on suspicion of murdering his wife at their Northampton home.
- Office workers 'too sedentary' Fri, 27 Mar 2015 01:54:21 GMT
- Office workers need to get off their backsides and move around more, according to a new campaign.
- NHS medical accidents unit 'needed' Fri, 27 Mar 2015 01:47:52 GMT
- A national body to investigate medical accidents in England should be established immediately, MPs say.
- Rotherham police probe expanded Thu, 26 Mar 2015 18:41:48 GMT
- The police watchdog says it is investigating complaints against 42 South Yorkshire Police officers over the handling of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham.
- Day in pictures: 26 March 2015 Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:35:09 GMT
- Images from around the world: 26 March
- In pictures: I'm not voting because... Thu, 26 Mar 2015 04:30:52 GMT
- Denise Felkin's MA project
- Photos give insight into 1960s life Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:52:44 GMT
- A collection of 18,000 negatives of Wales
- In pictures: Alps plane search operation resumes Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:40:50 GMT
- A search and recovery operation resumes in the southern French Alps
- In pictures: Indian soldiers during World War One Mon, 23 Mar 2015 06:48:01 GMT
- Rare photographs chronicling the lives of Indian soldiers
- Day in pictures: 25 March 2015 Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:44:47 GMT
- Images from around the world: 25 March