"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you."
—Mortimer Adler (b. 1902) American philosopher, educator, How to Read a Book
- Zulu king appeals for S Africa calm Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:18:23 GMT
- South Africa's Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini, whose comments have been blamed for a wave of xenophobic attacks, appeals for restraint.
- China unveils Pakistan superhighway Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:40:14 GMT
- China's President Xi Jinping has signed a deal with Pakistan promising $46bn (£30.7bn) of investment.
- Russian forces 'kill top jihadist' Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:58:17 GMT
- Russia says its special forces have killed a North Caucasus jihadist leader in a shoot-out in Dagestan.
- Venezuela 'receives $5bn from China' Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:18:28 GMT
- Venezuela has received $5bn (£3.4bn) in Chinese funding for "development", Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says.
- Deadly strike on Yemen arms depot Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:34:54 GMT
- An air strike on an arms depot in Yemen's capital Sanaa causes a huge explosion, killing at least 25 people and injuring 300.
- FBI admits forensic evidence errors Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:23:57 GMT
- The FBI admits "errors" over many years in evidence provided by its forensics lab to US courts to secure convictions, including in death penalty cases.
- Miliband: Cameron risking future of UK Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:05:59 GMT
- Ed Miliband warns David Cameron to "take on, not talk up" the SNP as a row over its possible role in a future government intensifies.
- 'Online diet pills' inquest to open Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:06:29 GMT
- An inquest into the death of a student from Shrewsbury thought to have taken "highly toxic" diet pills bought online is due to open.
- Labour plans nurses recruitment drive Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:12:29 GMT
- Labour will launch an emergency recruitment drive to get 1,000 more nurses into training this year if they win the election, Ed Miliband will say.
- Wonga reports £37.3m loss for 2014 Tue, 21 Apr 2015 07:37:38 GMT
- Short-term lender Wonga made a pre-tax loss of £37.3m in 2014 amid a major overhaul of the controversial company.
- In pictures: New Order Tue, 21 Apr 2015 07:25:06 GMT
- Kevin Cummins' photographs of the Manchester band
- Tigers, fisherman and the forest Mon, 20 Apr 2015 02:25:28 GMT
- Fear of tiger attack in the Sundarbans mangrove forests
- Election 2015 in pictures: 20 April Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:33:35 GMT
- Images from the campaign trail: 20 April
- Week in pictures: 11-17 April 2015 Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:07:39 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- Prydferthwch y Parc // The Beauty of the Beacons Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:26:19 GMT
- Celebrating the Brecon Beacons, granted National Park status in 1957