"If none of us ever read a book that was 'dangerous,' had a friend who was 'different' or joined an organization that advocated 'change,' we would all be just the kind of people Joe McCarthy wants. Whose fault is that? Not really [McCarthy's]. He didn't create this situation of fear. He merely exploited it, and rather successfully."
—Edward R (oscoe) Murrow (1908-65) American news anchor, broadcast journalist
- Toronto tunnel was a 'man cave' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:11:02 GMT
- The man who dug a tunnel under Toronto and caused a media frenzy says the man cave was merely his "dream" hang out spot.
- Danes 'should teach Prophet cartoons' Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:15:21 GMT
- Danish teaching group calls for controversial cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad to be printed in school textbooks.
- 'Boko Haram' kill dozens in Nigeria Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:06:35 GMT
- Suspected Boko Haram militants kill at least 45 people in a raid on a remote village in Borno state, north-east Nigeria, witnesses say.
- Peshawar schools named after victims Fri, 06 Mar 2015 11:04:46 GMT
- Pakistani authorities rename 107 schools in honour of the victims of last year's massacre of children and teachers at a school in Peshawar.
- Migrant population 'up 565,000' Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:54:55 GMT
- The migrant population of England has risen by 565,000 since 2011, with two-thirds coming from the EU, analysis by the University of Oxford estimates.
- Argentina prosecutor 'was murdered' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:41:20 GMT
- Independent tests show that Argentine prosecutor Alberto Nisman was deliberately killed, his family says, ruling out accident or suicide.
- Syria Nusra chief 'killed in strike' Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:07:41 GMT
- The military commander of Syria's al-Nusra Front militant group, Abu Homam al-Shami, is reportedly killed in an air strike.
- Boston victim 'spotted bomber’ Thu, 05 Mar 2015 23:05:13 GMT
- A man who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombings told the court that he locked eyes with one of the bombers just before the attack.
- Pair jailed for Ayesha Ali killing Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:34:14 GMT
- A mother and her lover are jailed for the manslaughter of her eight-year-old daughter, Ayesha Ali, in east London.
- Dozens arrested in cybercrime raids Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:23:17 GMT
- The UK's National Crime Agency (NCA) has mounted a "strike week" against suspected hackers resulting in 56 arrests.
- Drivers get 10-minute parking leeway Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:21:45 GMT
- Drivers will get 10 minutes' grace before being fined if they stay too long in council-owned car parks in England, the government announces.
- End 'fixation' with A&E wait target Fri, 06 Mar 2015 00:28:16 GMT
- The four-hour waiting time target for NHS accident and emergency units across the UK should be downgraded as it is distorting priorities, experts say.
- In pictures: Child migrants on Lampedusa Thu, 05 Mar 2015 23:07:47 GMT
- Unaccompanied children from North Africa
- Day in pictures Thu, 05 Mar 2015 13:17:54 GMT
- Images from around the world: 5 March
- In pictures: Chile volcano eruption Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:35:02 GMT
- Villarrica volcano in southern Chile has erupted