"You know when you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Nigeria 'outraged' by mass kidnap Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:46:48 GMT
- Nigeria's government said it is "outraged and deeply saddened" after militants attacked a remote village and reportedly kidnapped about 200 people.
- Appeal against Mumbai suspect bail Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:21:41 GMT
- A Pakistani government prosecutor says he is challenging the bail granted to a man accused of being behind the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
- EU needs 'long-term' Russia strategy Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:36:30 GMT
- The European Union needs a "plan for years" towards Russia, Donald Tusk says, chairing his first summit as European Council president.
- US Congress threat to Cuba thaw Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:55:31 GMT
- Opponents of President Barack Obama's new Cuba policy threaten to block his efforts to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years of hostility.
- Israel brands peace plan 'gimmick' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:14:29 GMT
- Israel says a Palestinian effort to set a three-year deadline for it to end its occupation of Palestinian territories is a "gimmick".
- US Secret Service is too 'insular' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:49:11 GMT
- The agency guarding the US president is too insular and must recruit its next head externally, a review prompted by a White House security breach says.
- Toddler's parents cleared of murder Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:01:57 GMT
- The parents of Levi-Blu Cassin are cleared of his murder at Birmingham Crown Court - but convicted of causing or allowing his death.
- Off-duty policeman killed in assault Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:15:45 GMT
- An off-duty police officer dies and two of his colleagues are injured in an assault in Liverpool city centre.
- Dalglish recalls Hillsborough mayhem Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:57:58 GMT
- Former Liverpool player Kenny Dalglish has been describing the "mayhem" at Hillsborough during the disaster.
- Parties agree welfare proposals Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:08:26 GMT
- The five executive parties at Stormont reach agreement on proposals to break the deadlock over welfare reform, the BBC learns.
- Day in pictures: 18 December 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:31:09 GMT
- Images from around the world: 18 December
- Your pictures of the year 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:52:07 GMT
- A selection of the best readers' photos
- In pictures: US-Cuban relations Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:53:41 GMT
- Story of Cuba's relationship with the US
- Picture power: Under the dress Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:55:37 GMT
- Actress America Ferrera red-faced