"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Kenya leader signs tough security law Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:40:03 GMT
- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta signs into law a controversial anti-terror bill which sparked fighting between MPs in parliament on Thursday.
- Peshawar spurs Pakistan executions Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:50:38 GMT
- Pakistan carries out its first executions since lifting a moratorium on the death penalty in the wake of the Peshawar school massacre.
- Turkey issues warrant for Gulen Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:17:08 GMT
- Turkey issues an arrest warrant for influential US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is accused of organising an anti-government movement.
- US Congress threat to Cuba thaw Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:55:31 GMT
- Opponents of President Barack Obama's new Cuba policy threaten to block his efforts to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years of hostility.
- Kurds 'break IS mountain siege' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:37:31 GMT
- Kurdish forces in northern Iraq say they have broken Islamic State's siege of Mount Sinjar, claiming their biggest victory yet against the militants.
- Plea by parents of Aurora accused Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:19:26 GMT
- The parents of James Holmes, the man charged with killing 12 and injuring 70 in a 2012 Colorado theatre massacre, have pleaded he be spared the death penalty.
- Off-duty PC murder suspect arrested Sat, 20 Dec 2014 02:05:15 GMT
- A 28-year-old man is detained on suspicion of the murder of an off-duty PC who died after being attacked in Liverpool city centre.
- £1.2bn spent on 'Panic Saturday' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:09:47 GMT
- UK shoppers are expected to spend a record £1.2bn buying Christmas presents and groceries on what researchers are calling "Panic Saturday".
- Hart still UK's most desirable place Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:07:31 GMT
- The most desirable place to live in the UK is named as Hart in Hampshire where residents are found to be the healthiest and live the longest.
- Migration system 'in intensive care' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:26:45 GMT
- A parliamentary committee warns ministers over UK exit controls, record-keeping and the use of a net migration target.
- Day in pictures: 18 December 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:31:09 GMT
- Images from around the world: 18 December
- Your pictures of the year 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:52:07 GMT
- A selection of the best readers' photos
- In pictures: US-Cuban relations Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:53:41 GMT
- Story of Cuba's relationship with the US
- Picture power: Under the dress Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:55:37 GMT
- Actress America Ferrera red-faced