"No man can be called friendless when he has God and the companionship of good books."
—Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-61) British poet
- Burundi police battle protesters Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:57:07 GMT
- Police in Burundi clash with thousands of protesters angered by President Pierre Nkurunziza's decision to run for a third term in office.
- Wife's joy at India climber's Everest escape Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:22:59 GMT
- Indian climber Sangeeta Bahl speaks to the BBC's Geeta Pandey about her joy at mountaineer husband Ankur Bahl's escape from Saturday's earthquake in Nepal.
- Bosnia gunman 'kills police officer' Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:48:56 GMT
- A gunman attacks a police station in Bosnia, killing an officer and injuring two others before being shot dead, officials say.
- Chile town covered by volcanic ash Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:18:10 GMT
- Residents of the Chilean town of Ensenada are trying to save their livestock and their homes after tonnes of ash from the Calbuco volcano rained down.
- Israel 'kills militants' in Golan Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:48:50 GMT
- An Israeli air strike has killed four militants armed with a bomb along the Israeli-Syrian frontier in the Golan Heights, the Israeli military says.
- Russians 'accessed Obama's emails' Sun, 26 Apr 2015 02:28:18 GMT
- Russian hackers who gained access to the White House computer system last year were able to read President Obama's unclassified emails, reports say.
- Dozens of Britons untraced in Nepal Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:14:22 GMT
- Dozens of British and Irish people are among the missing, as the Disasters Emergency Committee announces an appeal to aid survivors of the Nepal earthquake.
- Nurse jailed for attacks on patients Mon, 27 Apr 2015 19:21:32 GMT
- A former nurse is jailed for 18 years for raping and sexually assaulting unconscious women in Oxfordshire.
- Journalists angry about police probe Mon, 27 Apr 2015 15:21:22 GMT
- Tabloid journalists who had been accused of making illegal payments to public officials for stories have voiced their anger about their treatment.
- Education is 'red line' for Lib Dems Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:15:32 GMT
- Nick Clegg says education funding guarantees for England will be a "deal breaker" in any coalition negotiations between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives or Labour.
- In pictures: Nepal earthquake aftermath Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:50:39 GMT
- Images from Nepal as it struggles to cope with devastating earthquake
- Election 2015 in pictures: 27 April Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:29:04 GMT
- Images from the campaign trail: 27 April
- In pictures: London Marathon runners Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:13:56 GMT
- Unique fashions at the 35th London Marathon
- How Baltimore differs from Ferguson Sun, 26 Apr 2015 19:03:07 GMT
- How do last week's Baltimore protests compare to those in Ferguson?
- Week in pictures: 18-24 April 2015 Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:24:44 GMT
- A selection of the best news photographs from around the world, taken over the past week.