"There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Chad 'forces Boko Haram from town' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:13:21 GMT
- Chad's army has driven Boko Haram militants out of Malumfatori town in north-eastern Nigeria, a senior official from Niger tells the BBC.
- Malaysia declares MH370 an accident Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:06:14 GMT
- Malaysia officially declares the disappearance of MH370 over the Indian Ocean in March 2014 an accident, and says all 239 people on board are presumed dead.
- Italian PM wants judge for president Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:49:49 GMT
- As Italy's parliament votes for a new president, Prime Minister Matteo Renzi proposes a constitutional court judge to replace Giorgio Napolitano.
- Deadly blast hits Mexico hospital Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:35:00 GMT
- A gas tank lorry explodes outside a maternity and children's hospital in Mexico City, killing a woman and a baby.
- Hezbollah 'wants no Israel conflict' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:07:29 GMT
- Israel says it has received a message from Lebanese militant group Hezbollah indicating it opposes military escalation after lethal clashes.
- Fugitive treasure hunter in court Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:14:34 GMT
- Tommy Thompson appears in court after two years on the run, accused of cheating investors out of proceeds from a 19th century shipwreck haul.
- Labour peer backs private role in NHS Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:39:00 GMT
- Former Labour health minister Lord Darzi tells BBC's Newsnight it is irrelevant whether NHS care is delivered by the private or the public sector.
- Churchill's funeral anniversary marked Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:48:46 GMT
- The boat which carried Sir Winston Churchill's coffin along the Thames will make the journey again later to mark 50 years since his funeral.
- Police corruption efforts criticised Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:01:41 GMT
- Police forces in England and Wales lack the capability to investigate corruption among their officers and staff, says Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary.
- Lack of oversight 'damaging schools' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 01:35:32 GMT
- MPs say problems in some more autonomous schools have been picked up too late because of lack of oversight by the government.
- Your pictures: City skylines Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:50:51 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "city skylines"
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January
- Shetland celebrates Up Helly Aa Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:37:46 GMT
- Shetland's spectacular annual re festival
- In pictures: Post-War office buildings listed Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:36:35 GMT
- Striking buildings new to the National Heritage List
- Taking the plunge Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:54:51 GMT
- Cold Water Swimming Championships