"Every artist wants his work to be permanent. But what is? The Aswan Dam covered some of the greatest art in the world. Venice is sinking. Great books and pictures were lost in the Florence floods. In the meantime we still enjoy butterflies."
- Failed bid to raise AirAsia fuselage Sun, 25 Jan 2015 10:09:00 GMT
- The Indonesian official leading efforts to recover AirAsia flight QZ8501 says the fuselage appears to be too fragile to be lifted, after failed bids to raise it.
- Cruise ship hit by engine room fire Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:28:13 GMT
- A cruise ship with more than 1,000 people on board was left temporarily without power off the coast of Morocco after a fire in the engine room.
- Brazil in 'worst water crisis' Sat, 24 Jan 2015 15:08:58 GMT
- Brazil's Environment Minister Izabella Teixeira says the country's most populous states are experiencing their worst water crisis since 1930.
- Libya's Ansar confirms chief's death Sun, 25 Jan 2015 05:05:34 GMT
- Libya's Islamist group Ansar al-Sharia confirms its leader Mohammad al-Zahawi has died, after apparently being wounded in October.
- US planes targeted by bomb threats Sat, 24 Jan 2015 23:36:17 GMT
- Police search two aircraft at Atlanta's airport after receiving "credible" bomb threats - but later give the all-clear.
- Farage hits back at defecting MEP Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:25:43 GMT
- An MEP who has defected to the Conservatives had "reached the end of the road" with UKIP, party leader Nigel Farage says.
- First female bishop to be consecrated Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:41:07 GMT
- The Church of England will consecrate its first female bishop, Reverend Libby Lane, in a ceremony at York Minster later.
- BHS takeover approaches considered Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:34:21 GMT
- Sir Philip Green is considering selling the department store chain BHS after receiving "several approaches".
- Pothole damage claims pass £3m - RAC Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:22:41 GMT
- Drivers claimed more than £3m compensation for pothole damage in Britain last year, a survey by the RAC Foundation suggests.
- Week in pictures: 17-23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:51:44 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:37:17 GMT
- Images from around the world: 23 January
- Picture power: Tear gas at Kenyan primary school Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:08:54 GMT
- Story behind the Kenyan protest photo
- Your pictures: Cold weather Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:30:04 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "cold weather"
- Instagram: The 'homeless' chief executive Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:32:55 GMT
- Cillin Perera's daily photographic project
- In Pictures: Snowfall around the UK Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:04:13 GMT
- Images from around the UK