"Critics are by no means the end of the law. Do not think all is over with you because you articles are rejected. It may be that the editor has his drawer full, or that he does not know enough to appreciate you, or you have not gained a reputation, or he is not in a mood to be pleased. A critic's judgment is like that of any intelligent person. If he has experience, he is capable of judging whether a book will sell. That is all."
—Lavina Goodell Junior editor, Harper's Bazaar
- Tunisia secularists win elections Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:03:58 GMT
- Tunisia's secularist Nidaa Tounes party wins 81 seats in parliament, pushing the Islamists of Ennahda into second place, official results show.
- Rocket makers probe US explosion Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:27:46 GMT
- The builders of an unmanned supply rocket which exploded on the way to the International Space Station have vowed to find the cause of the failure.
- UK can be sued over rendition case Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:28:55 GMT
- A Libyan man can sue the UK government over claims he was illegally sent back to Libya and tortured, the Court of Appeal rules.
- Sarah Payne's father found dead Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:15:15 GMT
- The father of murdered schoolgirl Sarah Payne is found dead at his home in Kent.
- End 'robotic' drugs policy - MPs Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:45:37 GMT
- MPs back calls for a review of 40-year old legislation on drug misuse - as a row breaks out at the top of the coalition over drugs laws.
- New strike by NHS staff announced Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:05:51 GMT
- NHS workers, including nurses and midwives, are to stage a new four-hour strike in England on 24 November as part of an ongoing pay dispute.
- Day in pictures: 29 October Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:07:03 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 29 October
- Day in pictures: 28 October Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:03:14 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 28 October
- Bolshoi behind bars Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:44:58 GMT
- Costumes on show at a former prison
- Day in pictures: 27 October Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:59:55 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 27 October
- Week in pictures: 18-24 October 2014 Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:02:34 GMT
- Top news images from 18-24 October
- Day in pictures: 23 October Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:36:21 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 23 October
- Your pictures: Steps Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:11:23 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "steps"
- In pictures: Feline focus Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:05:39 GMT
- An online exhibition of cats
- The Leonardo hidden from Hitler in case it gave him magic powers Thu, 30 Oct 2014 00:29:32 GMT
- The Leonardo hidden from Hitler in case it gave him special powers