"What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is the collection of books."
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- School head held over India 'rape' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:56:14 GMT
- Police in the Indian city of Bangalore arrest a school head for failing to protect children under his care after a six-year-old girl is allegedly raped.
- Airline route assessments criticised Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:50:08 GMT
- Safety assessments for risky air routes are "not good enough", the British Airline Pilots Association says.
- Non-stop Argentina debt talks demand Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:23:44 GMT
- A US judge orders Argentina and its creditors to meet "continuously" to avoid the nation defaulting on its debts later this month.
- Suicide car bomb kills 21 in Iraq Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:36:33 GMT
- A suicide car bomb has killed at least 21 people at a police checkpoint in Baghdad's Kadhimiya district, Iraqi police say.
- US courts conflict on Obamacare law Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:04:04 GMT
- Two US appeals courts give conflicting rulings regarding a federal regulation implementing key subsidies of President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.
- MH17 black boxes arrive in Britain Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:56:32 GMT
- The black box flight recorders from downed flight MH17 arrive in the UK for analysis by air accident investigators.
- UK licensing arms exports to Russia Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:41:26 GMT
- Licences to export arms worth millions of pounds to Russia remain in place despite fears Moscow is arming rebels in Ukraine, MPs have said.
- Young adults face housing squeeze Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:38:10 GMT
- A growing proportion of young people have been squeezed out of the housing market in England and are renting privately instead, a report suggests.
- Fresh public sector strike planned Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:46:56 GMT
- Local government and school support workers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are to mount a second day of strike action.
- Day in pictures: 22 July 2014 Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:44:47 GMT
- 24 hours of news photos: 22 July
- Prince George's first year Tue, 22 Jul 2014 03:37:31 GMT
- Prince George's first year
- In pictures: Royal first birthdays Sun, 20 Jul 2014 08:54:44 GMT
- A long line of royal baby photos
- In pictures: One man's HIV campaign Tue, 22 Jul 2014 01:04:14 GMT
- An Indonesian prisoner's campaign against HIV
- Day in pictures: 21 July 2014 Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:51:52 GMT
- 24 hours of news photos: 21 July
- In pictures: India's 'original conservationists' Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:12:15 GMT
- The 'original conservationists' of India's tree-loving tribe