"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- Ghana official wears wife's coat Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:58:46 GMT
- Ruling party official laughs off criticism for donning the fur-trimmed number on visit to Germany.
- UN 'not needed to defeat Boko Haram' Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:41:38 GMT
- Nigeria does not need the help of UN or African Union troops to take on Boko Haram, the country's national security adviser tells the BBC.
- Bid to raise AirAsia fuselage begins Sat, 24 Jan 2015 11:04:09 GMT
- Salvage teams begin an operation to raise the fuselage of AirAsia flight QZ8501, which crashed into the Java Sea last month killing all 162 on board.
- Man linked to Jewish museum killings Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:25:26 GMT
- Belgian authorities are looking for a possible accomplice of Mehdi Nemmouche, the gunman charged with killing four people at a Jewish museum in May.
- Brazil in 'worst water crisis' Sat, 24 Jan 2015 15:08:58 GMT
- Brazil's Environment Minister Izabella Teixeira says the country's most populous states are experiencing their worst water crisis since 1930.
- World leaders pay respects in Riyadh Sat, 24 Jan 2015 20:28:35 GMT
- World leaders gather in Saudi Arabia to offer condolences after the death on Friday of King Abdullah at the age of 90.
- US woman jailed for plotting IS help Sat, 24 Jan 2015 05:36:00 GMT
- A young Colorado woman is sentenced to four years in jail for trying to provide material support to the militant group Islamic State.
- UK Ebola nurse 'happy to be alive' Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:52:21 GMT
- British nurse Pauline Cafferkey tells the BBC she is "very happy to be alive" as she is discharged from hospital, having made a full recovery from Ebola.
- UKIP MEP Bashir defects to Tories Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:49:10 GMT
- A UKIP MEP has defected to the Conservatives, but his former party said it had suspended him over financial and employment concerns.
- £2.9bn child support 'uncollectable' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 00:53:29 GMT
- Billions of pounds owed in child maintenance may never be recovered, government accounts show - though ministers say the debts are not "forgotten".
- Junior rugby campaign urges silence Sun, 25 Jan 2015 02:27:21 GMT
- Parents and coaches at junior rugby matches in Yorkshire are being asked to watch in silence as part of a drive to "challenge pitch-side behaviour".
- Week in pictures: 17-23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:51:44 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:37:17 GMT
- Images from around the world: 23 January
- Picture power: Tear gas at Kenyan primary school Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:08:54 GMT
- Story behind the Kenyan protest photo
- Instagram: The 'homeless' chief executive Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:32:55 GMT
- Cillin Perera's daily photographic project