"History is written by the winners. The books say the Indians were bad guys and the whites just needed a little land. It's like, Excuse me, let me take your car. I'm discovering it. I'm putting my flag on your windshield."
—Mario Van Peebles
- Colombia court restores Bogota mayor Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:58:18 GMT
- A court in Colombia rules that President Juan Manuel Santos should reinstate the ousted mayor of Bogota, Gustavo Petro, within 48 hours.
- Lebanese MPs fail to elect president Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:27:10 GMT
- Members of Lebanon's parliament fail to elect a new president at the first attempt before Michel Suleiman's six-year term expires on 25 May.
- Primark to open its first US stores Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:26:44 GMT
- Clothing retailer Primark is to open its first US stores, beginning with a 70,000 sq-ft shop in Boston.
- Three children found dead in London Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:41:09 GMT
- A woman is arrested after three children are found dead at a house in south London.
- Clifford jury gets majority direction Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:01:35 GMT
- Jurors in the indecent assault trial of publicist Max Clifford are told they can return a majority verdict of nine to one.
- Violent crime 'continues to fall' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:23:17 GMT
- Violent crime is continuing a long-term fall in England and Wales, according to annual figures from NHS hospitals.
- UK government hits borrowing target Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:11:54 GMT
- The UK government borrowed £107.7bn in the financial year to April 2014, lower than the amount it borrowed the previous year.
- In pictures: divers search South Korea ferry Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:39:00 GMT
- Divers search South Korea ferry
- In pictures: Rural murals Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:03:36 GMT
- Huge murals in Dumfries and Galloway
- In pictures: Garcia Marquez tributes Tue, 22 Apr 2014 01:30:56 GMT
- Memorials Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Day in pictures: 22 April 2014 Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:28:47 GMT
- News photos from past 24 hours: 22 April
- In pictures: Easter celebrations Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:49:13 GMT
- Christians mark Easter Sunday
- Day in pictures: 21 April 2014 Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:45:39 GMT
- News photos from past 24 hours: 21 April
- Week in pictures: 12-18 April 2014 Fri, 18 Apr 2014 23:01:46 GMT
- News photographs from around the world
- In pictures: South Korea ferry sinks Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:43:18 GMT
- Passenger ferry in South Korea capsizes