"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Nappy-wearing goat back with mum Sat, 28 Mar 2015 01:30:52 GMT
- A nappy-wearing sickly kid goat nursed back to health is now behaving "like a proper goat, not a dog" her owner says.
- Somalia ends al-Shabab hotel siege Sat, 28 Mar 2015 11:15:26 GMT
- At least 14 are killed as Somali special forces end the siege of a Mogadishu hotel by the Islamist militant group al-Shabab
- Singapore advises against Lee queues Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:13:24 GMT
- Singapore urges people not to join the queue to view Lee Kuan Yew lying in state, while India declares a day of national mourning for the statesman.
- Russia keeper Akinfeev hit by flare Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:59:50 GMT
- Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev is struck by a flare as their Euro 2016 qualifier with Montenegro is abandoned.
- Brazil's economy grew 0.1% in 2014 Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:53:44 GMT
- Brazil, the world's seventh largest economy, narrowly avoided contracting in 2014 with a growth rate of just 0.1% for the year.
- Israel to resume tax transfers to PA Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:29:12 GMT
- Israel is to stop withholding tax revenues collected on behalf of the Palestinian Authority, a move that has crippled the Palestinian economy.
- Calls to 'boycott' Indiana after law Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:10:12 GMT
- Activists are encouraging a boycott of Indiana after the US state enacted a "religious freedom" law which they say discriminates against gay people.
- Cameron promises 'seven-day NHS' Sat, 28 Mar 2015 13:27:36 GMT
- All hospitals in England will provide "a truly seven-day NHS" by 2020 under a future Conservative government, David Cameron says.
- Policeman charged with wife's murder Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:35:24 GMT
- A police constable appears in court charged with murdering his wife in Northamptonshire.
- Man in court over 'skunk' cannabis Sat, 28 Mar 2015 11:07:46 GMT
- A 37-year-old man is remanded in custody charged over an international investigation into the supply of cannabis to Northern Ireland.
- Road deaths 'puzzle' case closed Sat, 28 Mar 2015 01:26:21 GMT
- A police inquiry into the deaths of a Lithuanian couple found on the A47 in Norfolk is closed.
- Week in pictures: 21-27 March 2015 Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:02:40 GMT
- A selection of the best news photographs from around the world, taken over the past week.
- Kathmandu graffiti Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:08:49 GMT
- The walls of the Nepali capital come to life
- Day in pictures: 27 March 2015 Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:31:23 GMT
- Images from around the world: 27 March
- In pictures: I'm not voting because... Thu, 26 Mar 2015 04:30:52 GMT
- Denise Felkin's MA project