"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
—Moses Hadas (1900-66)
- The Russians fighting a 'holy war' in Ukraine Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:27:16 GMT
- The Kremlin denies sending Russian troops to Ukraine, but Russian volunteers there are proud to talk about their crusade to revive an Orthodox empire.
- Kazakh villages in guard wolf craze Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:49:32 GMT
- Villagers in Kazakhstan are increasingly buying wolves to guard their land.
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Kenya leader signs tough security law Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:40:03 GMT
- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta signs into law a controversial anti-terror bill which sparked fighting between MPs in parliament on Thursday.
- Appeal against Mumbai suspect bail Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:21:41 GMT
- A Pakistani government prosecutor says he is challenging the bail granted to a man accused of being behind the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
- Belarus moves to protect currency Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:03:28 GMT
- Belarus's central bank moves to protect its currency by imposing a new tax, as it feels the knock-on effects of the fall in the Russian rouble.
- US Congress threat to Cuba thaw Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:55:31 GMT
- Opponents of President Barack Obama's new Cuba policy threaten to block his efforts to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years of hostility.
- Kurds 'break IS mountain siege' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:37:31 GMT
- Kurdish forces in northern Iraq say they have broken Islamic State's siege of Mount Sinjar, claiming their biggest victory yet against the militants.
- Plea by parents of Aurora accused Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:19:26 GMT
- The parents of James Holmes, the man charged with killing 12 and injuring 70 in a 2012 Colorado theatre massacre, have pleaded he be spared the death penalty.
- Off-duty PC murder suspect arrested Sat, 20 Dec 2014 02:05:15 GMT
- A 28-year-old man is detained on suspicion of the murder of an off-duty PC who died after being attacked in Liverpool city centre.
- Irish minister hopeful of NI deal Fri, 19 Dec 2014 22:51:54 GMT
- Irish Foreign Minister Charlie Flanagan says he is hopeful that there will be a deal in Northern Ireland's cross-party talks early next week.
- Booking.com fraud network revealed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:39:11 GMT
- Details are revealed of a network which attempted to defraud thousands of customers of the online travel agent Booking.com.
- Plan to help over-50s get jobs Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:31:15 GMT
- Unemployed over-50s will be offered "career reviews" and help with using computers as part of a government plan to get more older people into work.
- Day in pictures: 18 December 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:31:09 GMT
- Images from around the world: 18 December
- Your pictures of the year 2014 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:52:07 GMT
- A selection of the best readers' photos