"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Malawians boycott South African shops Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:43:23 GMT
- South African-owned shops in Malawi stay closed after calls for a boycott from activists angered at recent xenophobic attacks.
- Gallipoli tributes to Anzac 'heroes' Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:48:44 GMT
- Australia and New Zealand hold ceremonies to mark the centenary of the military landings at Gallipoli during the First World War.
- Armenia remembers 'genocide campaign' Fri, 24 Apr 2015 19:44:23 GMT
- Ceremonies are held in Armenia and around the world to mark the centenary of the start of mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks.
- Chile volcano causes flight problems Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:56:25 GMT
- The eruption of the Calbuco volcano in southern Chile is causing many international flights to be delayed or cancelled.
- Syria Islamists take northern town Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:31:44 GMT
- Islamist rebels have captured much of the north-western Syrian town of Jisr al-Shughur from government forces, activists say.
- Canada bails ex-Guantanamo detainee Fri, 24 Apr 2015 21:20:06 GMT
- A Canadian court grants bail to a former Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr until he completes his appeal against his US conviction.
- Britons caught up in Nepal disaster Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:01:10 GMT
- A UK couple on their honeymoon, who are among Britons caught up in the Nepal quake, tell of seeing an "avalanche coming straight" for them on Everest.
- Labour plan to cap rental increases Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:55:47 GMT
- Private landlords would not be able to increase rents by more than inflation for three years under Labour plans to give tenants more security.
- Cameron sets out '100 day' Tory plan Sun, 26 Apr 2015 02:38:31 GMT
- David Cameron says wages, welfare, housing and childcare will be at the heart of the Conservatives' programme for government in its first 100 days if it wins an outright victory.
- Profit warnings rise on low oil price Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:55:01 GMT
- Profit warnings from UK-listed companies rose in the first three months of the year despite the improved economic outlook, a report says.
- Week in pictures: 18-24 April 2015 Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:24:44 GMT
- A selection of the best news photographs from around the world, taken over the past week.
- In pictures: Sony World Photography Awards 2015 Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:00:33 GMT
- Ebola, Molotov cocktails and prom night feature in winning images
- Election 2015 in pictures: 24 April Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:49:25 GMT
- Images from the campaign trail: 24 April
- In pictures: Calbuco volcano eruption Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:07:02 GMT
- Red alert as Calbuco volcano erupts in Chile
- In pictures: 25 years of Hubble Thu, 23 Apr 2015 02:12:46 GMT
- Ten amazing pictures of our Universe, taken by the Hubble space telescope.