"We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. ... It is time now to write the next chapter-and to write it in the books of law."
—Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-73) 36th US President, Democrat
- Nelson Mandela: Aids campaigner Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:35:57 GMT
- Though at first muted in his approach to HIV/Aids, Nelson Mandela became a dedicated advocate for a more vigorous approach to the disease.
- Vitamin D's disease role queried Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:40:35 GMT
- Scientists have cast doubt on the value of vitamin D supplements to protect against diseases like cancers and diabetes.
- Manchester United 0-1 Newcastle United Sat, 07 Dec 2013 15:09:40 GMT
- Manchester United suffer consecutive home league defeats for the first time since 2002 as Newcastle win 1-0.
- Stoke City 3-2 Chelsea Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:39:52 GMT
- Oussama Assaidi's late winner stuns Chelsea and earns Stoke just their fourth Premier League win this season.
- Mandela death: How a prisoner became a legend Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:11:42 GMT
- As the imprisoned Nelson Mandela became the face of a global campaign against apartheid, within South Africa a ban on his image meant people still didn't know what he looked like.
- What 'outraged modesty' means in India Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:29:16 GMT
- Why women who have been raped may find their character on trial when they take a case to court.
- US teacher shot dead in Libya Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:43:29 GMT
- An American teacher is gunned down by unknown assailants while jogging in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi, local officials say.
- Arrests over death of India activist Sat, 07 Dec 2013 10:51:02 GMT
- Two men are arrested in western India over the killing in August of Narendra Dabholkar, who campaigned against "fraudulent practices" by gurus.
- UK airports hit by flight delays Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:47:42 GMT
- Air traffic control operators say they do not know how long it will take to resolve faults which are causing flight delays and cancellations across the UK and Ireland.
- Arrests over Mexico radiation truck Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:23:40 GMT
- Six men are detained in central Mexico over the robbery earlier this week of a truck containing radioactive material from a hospital.
- US power 'underpins Iran diplomacy' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 07:58:03 GMT
- Diplomacy with Iran over its nuclear programme must be backed by military power, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel tells Gulf leaders.
- Dylan's guitar sells for $965k Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:42:14 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival sells at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).
- MPs set to receive 11% pay rise Sun, 08 Dec 2013 01:04:01 GMT
- MPs are set to get an 11% pay rise - equivalent to an extra £7,600 - when a parliamentary watchdog publishes its final recommendations on salaries this week.
- Flooding 'turned lives upside down' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:58:04 GMT
- The government says it is committed to funding flood defences on the east coast of England after the worst storm surge for 60 years.
- Labour set to pick Falkirk candidate Sun, 08 Dec 2013 00:20:36 GMT
- Members of Falkirk Labour will choose their general election candidate after the row over the party's selection process.