"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Cancer-killing cells made in the lab Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:27:46 GMT
- Scientists from Harvard Medical School have discovered a way of turning stem cells into killing machines to fight brain cancer.
- Later sunsets 'make kids more active' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:15:39 GMT
- Moving the clocks forward by one extra hour all year could lead to children getting two more minutes of exercise every day, say UK researchers.
- Suarez gets help for impulse to bite Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:31:38 GMT
- Luis Suarez gets professional help for an "impulse" to bite opponents ahead of his Barcelona debut against Real Madrid on Saturday.
- Nadal confirms the end of his season Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:31:14 GMT
- Fourteen-time Grand Slam title winner Rafael Nadal calls an end to his 2014 season as he prepares to undergo appendix surgery.
- The day UFOs stopped play Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:31:00 GMT
- In 1954, a football game in Florence was interrupted by UFOs flying over the stadium. The spectacle was witnessed by more than 10,000 people – but what was it?
- How to solve brain-teasers set by a top puzzle master Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:32:50 GMT
- The Magazine recently wrote about the late puzzle master extraordinaire, Martin Gardner, and shared some of his brain-teasers - as promised, here are the answers.
- Women propose sex strike for peace Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:38:14 GMT
- Female peace activists think the strike could force men to end armed conflict.
- Daniel Pearl murder suspect released Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:24:58 GMT
- One of the suspects in the murder of American journalist Daniel Pearl, beheaded in 2002, is set free by an anti-terrorism court in Pakistan.
- Dolce & Gabbana cleared in tax case Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:06:58 GMT
- Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana, founders of the Dolce & Gabbana fashion house, are cleared by an Italian court of tax evasion.
- Governor quits over Mexico missing Fri, 24 Oct 2014 04:49:56 GMT
- The governor of Mexico's southern Guerrero state - where 43 students went missing after deadly clashes with police last month - stands down.
- US to check IS 'chemical weapon' use Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:55:18 GMT
- The United States will investigate "extremely serious allegations" that militant group Islamic State used chlorine gas against Iraqi police officers.
- Two US Ebola nurses free of virus Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:39:44 GMT
- Two nurses infected with Ebola while treating a patient in Dallas are declared free of the deadly virus, a day after the first infection in New York.
- Scottish Labour leader to stand down Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:15:47 GMT
- Johann Lamont is to stand down as leader of the Scottish Labour Party with immediate effect after criticising her Westminster colleagues.
- Body of UK-born student identified Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:17:55 GMT
- Authorities in Virginia identify the remains of a British-born university student who disappeared last month after a night out with friends.
- Hen party death lorry driver cleared Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:49:31 GMT
- A lorry driver is cleared of causing the death by dangerous driving of a woman on a hen party in West Yorkshire.