"Everyone knows that a man can always marry even if he reaches 102, is penniless, and has all his faculties gone. There is always some woman willing to take a chance on him. (from the Complete Book of Etiquette, 1952)"
- Sierra Leone hails Ebola lockdown Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:11:02 GMT
- Authorities in Sierra Leone say a three-day curfew aimed at containing the Ebola outbreak has been a success and will not be extended.
- McIlroy has outgrown me - McDowell Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:54:23 GMT
- Graeme McDowell admits Rory McIlroy's four majors and world number one status may mean the end for their Ryder Cup partnership.
- Man Utd £100m off title - Neville Tue, 23 Sep 2014 06:43:51 GMT
- Manchester United need two more transfer windows of heavy spending to contend for the title, says ex-defender Phil Neville.
- Ants v humans Sun, 21 Sep 2014 23:04:48 GMT
- A recent wildlife programme suggested that all the ants in the world weigh as much as all the people - but is that true?
- Getting a driving licence without a test Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:03:59 GMT
- In most places you need to pass a test to get a driving licence - for now Mexico City is an exception.
- JS Kabylie given two year Caf ban Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:27:36 GMT
- Algerian club JS Kabylie are banned for two years from continental tournaments over the death of Albert Ebosse.
- Karzai warns successors beware of US Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:18:48 GMT
- Outgoing Afghan President Hamid Karzai uses his last speech in office to warn the new government to beware of the United States.
- Philips plans to split business Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:06:15 GMT
- Dutch electronics giant Philips says it is planning to split the company in two, separating its lighting business from its healthcare division.
- Medellin high-rises demolished Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:22:07 GMT
- The remaining towers in the Space apartment complex in the Colombian city of Medellin have been demolished following a deadly collapse last year.
- Cameron to hold talks with Iran Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:53:32 GMT
- David Cameron is to meet Iranian President Hassan Rouhani - the first time a UK prime minister has met an Iranian president since the Iran's revolution in 1979.
- US strikes Islamic State in Syria Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:04:00 GMT
- The US and five Arab nations launch a campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, the Pentagon says.
- Miliband: We'll build a better life Tue, 23 Sep 2014 13:56:34 GMT
- Labour leader Ed Miliband says the general election will be decided by who can "build a better life for working people".
- Woman and child killed by train Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:18:38 GMT
- A woman and young child die after being hit by a train in Slough, Berkshire, in "suspicious circumstances", say police.
- Cameron in UN talks over IS action Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:26:46 GMT
- David Cameron is holding talks at the UN to see "what more the UK can do" to help international efforts "to tackle the threat we all face" from Islamic State.
- Barclays hit by record £38m fine Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:17:19 GMT
- Barclays Bank has been fined a record £38m by UK regulators for failing to keep its clients' assets separate from its own.