"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Six seconds 'can transform health' Sat, 26 Jul 2014 23:46:31 GMT
- Short six-second bursts of vigorous exercise have the potential to transform the health of elderly people, say researchers.
- Fist bumps 'cleaner than handshakes' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 02:00:49 GMT
- Scientists at Aberystwyth University in Wales have shown that more bacteria are transferred by shaking hands, than by fist-bumping or high-fiving.
- Man City & Italy racism claims probed Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:03:57 GMT
- Fifa looks into claims a Manchester City player was racially abused in Croatia, and that an Italian official made racist comments.
- Arsenal sign £16m teenager Chambers Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:56:23 GMT
- Arsenal complete the signing of teenage Southampton defender Calum Chambers for a fee understood to be about £16m.
- The people who want to be near a tornado Sat, 26 Jul 2014 22:58:37 GMT
- In the US, the number of people who chase tornados is growing - why do they put themselves in danger?
- The cellar that still holds Goering's wine Sat, 26 Jul 2014 23:02:50 GMT
- When Moldova shifted towards the EU, Russia responded by targeting its vineyards - an industry with an intriguing past.
- AH5017 'black boxes' now in France Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:53:01 GMT
- Two data recorders from a plane that crashed in Mali last week, killing all 118 aboard, arrive in France as it begins three days of mourning.
- Japanese girl 'dismembers classmate' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 06:12:38 GMT
- A high school girl has been arrested on suspicion of killing and dismembering a classmate, Japanese police say.
- France offers Iraq Christians asylum Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:59:45 GMT
- France says it is ready to offer asylum to Iraqi Christians forced to flee by Islamic State militants holding the Iraqi city of Mosul.
- Hero's welcome for freed Venezuelan Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:13:58 GMT
- Venezuelan official Gen Hugo Carvajal is warmly welcomed in Caracas after his release in Aruba, where he had been arrested on drug-trafficking charges.
- Fresh Benghazi clashes kill 38 Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:42:43 GMT
- At least 38 people are killed in clashes between pro-Libyan government troops and Islamist militants in the city of Benghazi, officials say.
- Lightning kills man on US beach Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:05:14 GMT
- One man is killed and several people are hurt following lightning strikes on crowded Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California.
- Rain, hail and lightning cause chaos Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:47:29 GMT
- Lightning strikes, hail, torrential rain and flash flooding cause homes to be evacuated and bring road and rail transport to a standstill.
- Gold medal record for Scotland Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:20:23 GMT
- Scotland set a new national record of 12 Commonwealth Games gold medals midway through day five in Glasgow.
- UK 'battle group' to go to Poland Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:34:40 GMT
- The UK is to send 1,350 personnel to Poland for exercises as part of a Nato initiative amid tensions in Ukraine, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon says.