"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the sense shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourse of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness."
—Helen Adams Keller (1880-1968) American memoirist, lecturer
- Lebanese diva Sabah dies, aged 87 Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:18:54 GMT
- Lebanese singer and actress Sabah, popularly known as the "Diva of Music" in the Arab world, dies at the age of 87.
- Birdman set to soar at Spirit Awards Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:45:04 GMT
- Showbusiness satire Birdman leads the flock at this year's Spirit Awards after being nominated for six prizes, including best film.
- Risk from extreme weather rises Thu, 27 Nov 2014 01:42:30 GMT
- Royal Society says combination of population growth and climate change will increase danger to cities.
- UK team's data bonanza from comet Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:46:50 GMT
- UK researchers obtain "rich" data from the Philae lander just before its power died.
- Ebola 'stable' in Guinea - WHO Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is now "stable" in Guinea, the country where the latest crisis began, the World Health Organization says.
- 'Exciting' bladder cancer drug trial Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:25:43 GMT
- A trial to help the immune system fight bladder cancer is showing "exciting" results with tumours completely disappearing in some patients.
- Phil Hughes: Reactions in quotes Thu, 27 Nov 2014 06:18:57 GMT
- Well-known Australians and cricket figures pay tribute to Phil Hughes, who has died at the age of 25 after being hit by a ball.
- Rodgers happy fate is in Reds' hands Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:39:07 GMT
- Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says he is delighted his side remain in control of their Champions League destiny.
- Six unexpected WW1 battlegrounds Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:23:52 GMT
- Not all crucial battles in World War One took place on the muddy fields of Europe - some were fought in little-known places much further afield.
- How cricket helmets changed Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:42:28 GMT
- Australian cricketer Philip Hughes has died after being hit on the head by a cricket ball. Can helmets ever offer total protection?
- Passengers 'push frozen plane' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:32:11 GMT
- People on board a flight in Russia get out and push the aircraft after its braking system freezes.
- Tourists flock to 'see democracy' Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:49:55 GMT
- Taiwan's local elections are a tourist attraction for Chinese visitors.
- Ghana cocaine bust turns political Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:20:18 GMT
- Ghana's opposition calls for a parliamentary probe into allegations that a suspected cocaine trafficker had access to the presidential lounge at the country's main international airport.
- HK policemen arrested over beating Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:34:41 GMT
- Seven Hong Kong policemen are arrested in connection with the beating of a pro-democracy protester in October.
- Juncker reveals giant EU jobs plan Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:33:25 GMT
- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker gives details of a €315bn (£250bn; $393bn) investment plan to kick-start Europe's economy.