"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- Ukraine bailout 'credibility' boost Sat, 24 Jan 2015 17:39:09 GMT
- Ukraine's new finance minister Natalie Jaresko says a proposed bailout package from the International Monetary Fund will be "sufficient to rebuild credibility" in the country's economy.
- Reporter jailed for stolen data links Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:55:12 GMT
- A journalist with connections to the hacking collective Anonymous is sentenced to five years in jail after posting online links to stolen data.
- US plans 'regulated' Bitcoin exchange Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:28:38 GMT
- High-profile Bitcoin backers are seeking to establish a Bitcoin exchange in the US that would be overseen by mainstream financial regulators.
- Cooper brings Elephant Man to London Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:33:22 GMT
- Three-time Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper is to play the Elephant Man in London following the critical acclaim he has received for the role on Broadway.
- Tangerine Dream's Froese dies at 70 Sat, 24 Jan 2015 13:03:06 GMT
- Edgar Froese, the founding member of the German ambient electronic group Tangerine Dream, dies in Vienna at the age of 70.
- Jellyfish 'can sense ocean currents' Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:39:15 GMT
- A jellyfish tagging study reveals the creatures' ability to swim against the current when forming their submarine swarms, say researchers.
- Scientists slow the speed of light Fri, 23 Jan 2015 01:28:30 GMT
- A team of Scottish scientists make light travel slower than the speed of light by changing the shape of photons.
- Ebola vaccine 'shipped to Liberia' Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:01:25 GMT
- The first batch of a vaccine against Ebola is on its way to Liberia and trials are expected to start soon.
- Falling Ebola cases 'turning point' Thu, 22 Jan 2015 13:41:45 GMT
- There has been a "turning point" in the Ebola crisis with cases falling in all three affected countries, World Health Organization officials say.
- Mourinho 'ashamed' of FA Cup exit Sat, 24 Jan 2015 19:03:40 GMT
- Jose Mourinho is "ashamed" by the loss to Bradford City, while Manchester City also lose on a day of shocks in the FA Cup.
- New Zealand wrap up Sri Lanka series Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:53:38 GMT
- New Zealand win the one-day series against Sri Lanka with a match still to play after going 4-1 up with a 120-run victory.
- The sheikh who listened to Nazi radio Sat, 24 Jan 2015 00:25:40 GMT
- Early in World War Two, Britain's agent in Sharjah noticed an alarming rise in support for Nazi Germany - so he slipped on a disguise to find out who was responsible.
- The lost sons Fri, 23 Jan 2015 05:00:49 GMT
- The story two murdered teenage boys, an Israeli and a Palestinian, whose mistake was to stand by the side of a dark road.
- Fake bank swindles China savers Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:38:42 GMT
- Building was made to look just like a real bank with uniformed staff serving customers.
- Ghana official wears wife's coat Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:58:46 GMT
- Ruling party official laughs off criticism for donning the fur-trimmed number on visit to Germany.