"Who knows why we live, and struggle, and die?... Wise men write many books, in words too hard to understand. But this, the purpose of our lives, the end of all our struggle, is beyond all human wisdom."
—Alan Stewart Paton (1903-88) South African writer, noted for novels Cry, the Beloved Country
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- Wales game 'will impact on World Cup' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:58:03 GMT
- England coach Stuart Lancaster says a win over Wales can have a psychological impact on next year's World Cup.
- Russian baddies are back Sat, 08 Mar 2014 01:08:54 GMT
- From the 1930s to present day, Russians have been portrayed as murderous thugs on the big and small screen in the West.
- The restaurants that thrive on insulting their diners Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:32:44 GMT
- A Chinese eatery dubbed "London's rudest" has promised better service. Is insulting your customers ever a good idea?
- ICC convicts Congo militia leader Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:54:06 GMT
- The International Criminal Court finds Congo militia leader Germain Katanga guilty of complicity in war crimes but acquits him of sexual offences.
- Anwar gets jail term for sodomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:35:57 GMT
- A Malaysian court sentences opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to five years in jail after overturning his acquittal on sodomy charges.
- Sochi ready for biggest Paralympics Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:36:13 GMT
- Russia will welcome the sporting world back to Sochi on Friday when the opening ceremony takes place for the Winter Paralympics.
- Venezuela expels Panama diplomats Fri, 07 Mar 2014 05:12:08 GMT
- Venezuela expels Panama's ambassador and three others as President Nicolas Maduro accuses the country of meddling amid ongoing opposition rallies.
- Niger extradites Gaddafi's son Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:30:42 GMT
- The Libyan government says former leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's son, Saadi, has been extradited from Niger and is now in custody in Tripoli.
- US general faces assault accuser Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:13:58 GMT
- A female US Army captain who says a general sexually assaulted her weeps as she tells a court he threatened to kill her family.
- Chief vows to restore trust in Met Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:58:36 GMT
- The head of the Metropolitan Police has vowed to win back public trust after a report found officers spied on the family of murdered teenager Stephen Lawrence.
- Clare's Law introduced against abuse Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:26:50 GMT
- A scheme to let people to find out from police if their partner has a history of domestic violence is introduced across England and Wales.
- Lib Dems to push for income tax cuts Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:49:43 GMT
- Raising the income tax allowance to £12,500 will be a Lib Dem demand in future coalition talks, the party is to say.