"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Thousands of Ebola orphans 'shunned' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:44:40 GMT
- At least 3,700 children in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone who have lost one or both parents to Ebola this year face being shunned, the UN says.
- Cancer gene test 'would save lives' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:04:36 GMT
- Younger bowel cancer patients should be offered a genetic test to screen for a rare condition linked to a higher risk of cancer, say UK researchers.
- Manchester City 1-1 Roma Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:19:25 GMT
- Manchester City are still without a win in Champions League Group E after Francesco Totti's goal gives Roma a 1-1 draw.
- Sporting Lisbon 0-1 Chelsea Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:06:15 GMT
- Nemanja Matic scores a first-half header as Chelsea beat Sporting Lisbon 1-0 to go top of Champions League Group G.
- Almaz's story Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:03:29 GMT
- When a young Ethiopian woman went to Saudi Arabia to work as a maid her new employers treated her like a slave.
- Why 'boots on the ground'? Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:01:03 GMT
- The expression "boots on the ground" may not have been used until about 1980.
- Nigeria and Senegal 'contain' Ebola Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:38:19 GMT
- Ebola outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal appear to have been contained, US health authorities say, with no new cases there since August.
- Afghans sign deal to keep US troops Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:32:27 GMT
- The new Afghan government signs a security deal with American officials that will allow US troops to remain in the country beyond 2014.
- EU to keep Russia sanctions in place Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:36:46 GMT
- The EU decides to keep sanctions on Russia in place, judging that Ukraine's peace deal is not fully effective.
- Venezuela defends Clorox seizure Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:34:46 GMT
- Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro defends his government's decision to seize a US-owned factory following the departure from Venezuela of Clorox.
- Hostage's wife makes new mercy plea Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:51:00 GMT
- The wife of a British hostage being held by militants makes a renewed call for his release, saying there has been "outcry across the world" over his imprisonment.
- Muslim NFL player's 'prayer penalty' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:13:19 GMT
- US Kansas City Chiefs NFL player Husain Abdullah is penalised after celebrating a touchdown by sliding on his knees and praying.
- RAF jets strike first IS targets Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:37:48 GMT
- RAF jets attack two Islamic State targets in Iraq - the first strikes since Parliament approved military action on Friday.
- Body found during Alice Gross search Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:55:23 GMT
- Police investigating the disappearance of missing teenager schoolgirl Alice Gross find a body in a west London river.
- Councils 'swamped' by rights checks Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:06:45 GMT
- Councils in England and Wales are being overwhelmed with requests to ensure the human rights of vulnerable people are not being abused.