"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
—Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC) Roman statesman, orator, philosopher
- VIDEO: How can a fish be a spy? - in 15 secs Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:46:37 GMT
- The US navy has developed a robot that looks like a fish, but has high-tech surveillance equipment inside.
- Giant 'El Gordo' lottery grips Spain Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:45:02 GMT
- A massive €2.2bn (£1.7bn; $2.7bn) of prizes brings joy to thousands in Spain's famous "El Gordo" (The Fat One) lottery.
- Argentine court grants rights to ape Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:05:08 GMT
- A court in Argentina rules that a shy orangutan who spent the last 20 years in a zoo can be granted some legal rights enjoyed by humans.
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:10:00 GMT
- The latest international business headlines from BBC World News.
- VIDEO: Who wants to send the Christmas mail? Mon, 22 Dec 2014 00:12:53 GMT
- The Royal Mail signed up 19,000 seasonal workers this year to help out at Christmas. BBC News went to meet some of them.
- Jail over Silk Road bitcoin deals Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:53:10 GMT
- Bitcoin trader Charlie Shrem has been sentenced to two years in jail for indirectly helping people swap cash for bitcoins on the Silk Road marketplace.
- Hack causes 'damage' at steel works Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:01:52 GMT
- A blast furnace at a German steel mill suffered "massive damage" following a cyber attack on the plant's network, says a report.
- North Korea threatens US over Sony Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:54:02 GMT
- North Korea threatens unspecified attacks on the US as it escalates a war of words over the Sony Pictures cyber-attacks.
- Actress Billie Whitelaw dies aged 82 Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:10:27 GMT
- Acclaimed actress Billie Whitelaw, who starred on stage and screen and worked in close collaboration with Samuel Beckett, dies in London.
- Scientists attack student exit plan Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:44:54 GMT
- Home Secretary Theresa May's plan to expel foreign graduates draws criticism from the scientific community.
- Big cat trade from Burma to China up Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:45:16 GMT
- A new study suggests that the trade in parts of tigers and other wild cats from Myanmar into China is growing.
- NHS to 'unlock secrets' using DNA Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:22:04 GMT
- A new genetics project could help "unlock a series of secrets about devastating diseases" including cancer and rare genetic disorders, the NHS says.
- Asthma inhalers 'not used properly' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:00:55 GMT
- Charities warn patients are not being taught how to use potentially life-saving asthma inhalers and allergy auto-injectors correctly.
- Stoke City 0-2 Chelsea Mon, 22 Dec 2014 22:11:03 GMT
- Carlisle in hospital after accident Tue, 23 Dec 2014 00:05:12 GMT
- Clarke Carlisle, the ex-Professional Footballers' Association chairman, is in hospital after being involved in a collision with a lorry.