"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- Patient has pioneering 3D face op Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:09:19 GMT
- A survivor of a serious motorbike accident has pioneering surgery to reconstruct his face using a series of 3D printed parts.
- Exercise advised for cancer swelling Wed, 12 Mar 2014 00:46:18 GMT
- Women who suffer swelling following breast cancer treatment should be encouraged to exercise, according to experts.
- IPL switched for Indian elections Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:38:11 GMT
- Indian Premier League games are to be played in the UAE and Bangladesh to avoid a clash with the general election.
- Do massive dams ever make sense? Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:32:29 GMT
- A new report argues that large dams are a risky investment - expensive and failing to deliver promised benefits. Why?
- The world of 100% election victories Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:27:34 GMT
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was elected to the rubber-stamp parliament with 100% votes on Monday. He's not the only leader to win an election with ease.
- S Africa accuses Rwanda of murder Wed, 12 Mar 2014 15:10:18 GMT
- South Africa accuses three expelled Rwandan diplomats of links to the murder and attempted murder of dissidents living in South Africa.
- Australia 'to stick' with flag Wed, 12 Mar 2014 05:10:28 GMT
- Australia's foreign minister says there is "no great demand" to change the national flag, after New Zealand announced a referendum on its flag.
- EU referendum unlikely, says Labour Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:11:06 GMT
- Ed Miliband says an EU referendum is "unlikely" if Labour wins the next general election, but David Cameron argues that this makes "no sense whatsoever".
- Salvador candidate demands new polls Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:44:33 GMT
- Conservative Salvadorean presidential candidate Norman Quijano demands a new election after preliminary results suggest he has lost.
- Libya ex-PM Zeidan 'leaves country' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:39:44 GMT
- Former Libyan PM Ali Zeidan has left the country, reports say, despite a travel ban being imposed after he lost a confidence vote in parliament.
- US death row man free after 25 years Wed, 12 Mar 2014 05:30:53 GMT
- A man who spent more than 25 years on death row in the US state of Louisiana walks free from prison after his 1988 murder conviction is overturned.
- Block on Charles's letters unlawful Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:22:55 GMT
- The attorney general's decision to block publication of letters written by the Prince of Wales to government ministers is ruled unlawful.
- Clifford 'abused teenager in car' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:42:33 GMT
- A second alleged victim tells the Max Clifford trial that the publicist sexually abused her in his car when she was 15 and a virgin.
- G4S pays £108.9m for tagging scandal Wed, 12 Mar 2014 15:03:17 GMT
- Troubled security firm G4S pays the UK government £108.9m for the tagging scandal, and admits that 2013 was "an extremely challenging year".
- Brooks 'was editor who didn't care' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:56:46 GMT
- Rebekah Brooks was always the "first to get the story" and "didn't care" how she got it, according to the prosecutor in the phone-hacking trial.