"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Varoufakis: End 'toxic blame game' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:00:49 GMT
- Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis calls for an end to the "toxic blame game" between Greece and Germany.
- Attacks hit BA, GitHub and Slack Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:59:12 GMT
- British Airways' Executive Club, the code-sharing site GitHub and the work chat service Slack have all been hit by cyber-attacks.
- VIDEO: Farmers test out 'flying sheepdog' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:33:56 GMT
- Paul Brennan talks to the BBC about sending a drone up to herd his sheep.
- Stephen Fry 'hounded off' Instagram Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:53:13 GMT
- Author and broadcaster Stephen Fry swears off Instagram, claiming to have been "hounded off" the photo-sharing service.
- Musicians unite behind Jay Z site Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:23:43 GMT
- Kanye West, Jack White, Rihanna and Coldplay tweet their support for Jay Z's new streaming site, Tidal, ahead of its launch on Monday night.
- Solar aeroplane lands in China Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:37:04 GMT
- Solar Impulse, the fuel-free aeroplane, lands in Chongqing, China, to complete leg five of its attempt to fly around the world.
- Mercury 'painted black' by comets Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:59:35 GMT
- The mystery of Mercury's dark surface can be explained by a steady dusting of carbon from passing comets, research suggests.
- Guinea declares Ebola 'emergency' Sun, 29 Mar 2015 00:00:41 GMT
- Guinean President Alpha Conde has declared a 45-day "health emergency" in five regions in the west and southwest of the Ebola-hit nation.
- Office workers 'too sedentary' Fri, 27 Mar 2015 01:54:21 GMT
- Office workers need to get up and move around more, according to a new campaign.
- Uefa charges for Russia & Montenegro Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:29:24 GMT
- Uefa charges the football associations of Montenegro and Russia after the abandonment of Friday's Euro 2016 qualifier.
- Woods drops out of world's top 100 Mon, 30 Mar 2015 06:25:31 GMT
- Former world number one Tiger Woods drops out of the top 100 in the rankings for the first time in his career.
- The beast of the Danube Mon, 23 Mar 2015 01:46:19 GMT
- The Danube salmon's last hunting grounds in Europe can be found in the Balkans - but a rash of dam-building poses a risk to its habitat.
- The men who uncovered Assyria Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:41:43 GMT
- Islamic State is destroying ancient cities excavated by three remarkable men in the middle of the 19th Century - among them the first Iraqi archaeologist.
- Dickens' desk saved for public view Sun, 29 Mar 2015 02:37:21 GMT
- The desk where Charles Dickens wrote Great Expectations is finally on public display thanks to a £780,000 grant.
- Lord's Father Time damaged by wind Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:24:07 GMT
- Lord's cricket ground's famous Father Time weather vane is damaged by high winds in London over the weekend.