"Life is a library owned by an author. It has a few books which he wrote himself, but most of them were written for him."
—Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969) American religious leader
- Big firms 'must condemn GamerGate' Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:59:47 GMT
- Games publishers must "stand-up and condemn" the movement referred to as "GamerGate", says a developer forced to leave her home due to threats.
- Polanski freed after US arrest bid Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:40:23 GMT
- US attempts to have director Roman Polanski arrested for sex offences while visiting Poland fail.
- Pulitzer-winning poet Kinnell dies Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:11:44 GMT
- Pulitzer Prize-winning US poet Galway Kinnell, best known for his spiritual poems connecting the experiences of daily life to larger forces, dies aged 87.
- Newt flesh fungus 'brought by pets' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 02:00:27 GMT
- A skin-eating fungus threatens salamanders and newts across Europe, and probably arrived on pet amphibians imported from Asia.
- A WW2 technology 'Plan B' for GPS Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:10:37 GMT
- Technology developed during World War Two is to be used as a back-up for GPS in ports across England and Scotland.
- Ebola cases 'slowing in Liberia' Wed, 29 Oct 2014 20:40:11 GMT
- The WHO says Liberia, the country hardest hit in the Ebola outbreak, has seen a decline in infections, but warns the crisis is far from over.
- Google developing a cancer detector Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:35:15 GMT
- Google is attempting to diagnose cancers, heart attack risks and other ailments with a system that combines nanoparticles and a wrist-worn sensor.
- Murray seals World Tour Finals place Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:47:54 GMT
- Andy Murray books his place at the World Tour Finals with an emphatic victory over Grigor Dimitrov at the Paris Masters.
- Tan invests in new LA MLS franchise Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:27:05 GMT
- Cardiff City's billionaire owner Vincent Tan is among investors backing a new MLS franchise, Los Angeles Football Club.
- Can you cheat your way to fitness? Wed, 29 Oct 2014 01:41:01 GMT
- Not everyone can get to the gym - but is it really possible to stay fit through everyday household activity?
- The Swiss children used as cheap farm labour Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:37:25 GMT
- Thousands of people in Switzerland who were forced into child labour are demanding compensation for their stolen childhoods.
- Ebola aid ship docks in Sierra Leone Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:25:58 GMT
- UK ship RFA Argus, which is carrying medical supplies, equipment and vehicles, arrives in Sierra Leone to help deal with the Ebola outbreak.
- India bans official luxury travel Fri, 31 Oct 2014 05:16:37 GMT
- India's government bans first class air travel for bureaucrats, meetings in five-star hotels and purchases of cars in a series of tough austerity measures.
- Drones buzz French nuclear plants Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:45:15 GMT
- An investigation begins after France's state-owned EDF power company says unidentified drones have flown over seven of its nuclear plants.
- Colombian Farc in civilian admission Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:43:07 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebel group acknowledges for the first time that its actions in Latin America's longest internal conflict "affected civilians".