"To my daughter Leonora without whose never failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been completed in half the time."
—P. G. Wodehouse
- Cancer-killing cells made in the lab Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:27:46 GMT
- Scientists from Harvard Medical School have discovered a way of turning stem cells into killing machines to fight brain cancer.
- Later sunsets 'make kids more active' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:15:39 GMT
- Moving the clocks forward by one extra hour all year could lead to children getting two more minutes of exercise every day, say UK researchers.
- Suarez gets help for impulse to bite Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:31:38 GMT
- Luis Suarez gets professional help for an "impulse" to bite opponents ahead of his Barcelona debut against Real Madrid on Saturday.
- Nadal confirms the end of his season Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:31:14 GMT
- Fourteen-time Grand Slam title winner Rafael Nadal calls an end to his 2014 season to undergo appendix surgery.
- The day UFOs stopped play Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:31:00 GMT
- In 1954, a football game in Florence was interrupted by UFOs flying over the stadium. The spectacle was witnessed by more than 10,000 people – but what was it?
- How to solve brain-teasers set by a top puzzle master Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:32:50 GMT
- The Magazine recently wrote about the late puzzle master extraordinaire, Martin Gardner, and shared some of his brain-teasers - as promised, here are the answers.
- Women propose sex strike for peace Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:38:14 GMT
- Female peace activists think the strike could force men to end armed conflict.
- Detained Myanmar reporter shot dead Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:12:51 GMT
- A Burmese journalist taken into detention while covering clashes near the Thai border is shot dead while trying to escape, the army says.
- PM: I won't meet £1.7bn EU demand Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:39:41 GMT
- David Cameron insists the UK will not pay £1.7bn demanded by the EU - but Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso says the bill should not have come as a surprise.
- Governor quits over Mexico missing Fri, 24 Oct 2014 04:49:56 GMT
- The governor of Mexico's southern Guerrero state - where 43 students went missing after deadly clashes with police last month - stands down.
- US to check IS 'chemical weapon' use Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:55:18 GMT
- The United States will investigate "extremely serious allegations" that militant group Islamic State used chlorine gas against Iraqi police officers.
- Two US Ebola nurses free of virus Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:10:30 GMT
- Two nurses infected with Ebola while treating a patient in Dallas are declared free of the deadly virus, a day after the first infection in New York.
- Cost of driving licence to be cut Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:01:11 GMT
- The cost of getting a driving licence is being cut following a recent public consultation, the government says.
- Scottish Labour leader standing down Sat, 25 Oct 2014 00:45:04 GMT
- Johann Lamont is standing down as leader of the Scottish Labour Party with immediate effect after criticising her Westminster colleagues.
- Anger over ancient woods quarry plan Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:57:03 GMT
- Plans to turn an area of ancient Staffordshire woodland mentioned in the Domesday Book into a quarry anger conservationists.