"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- Yoox in talks with Net-a-Porter Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:55:52 GMT
- Italian online fashion retailer Yoox says it is in merger talks with London-based rival Net-a-Porter.
- Attacks hit BA, GitHub and Slack Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:59:12 GMT
- British Airways' Executive Club, the code-sharing site GitHub and the work chat service Slack have all been hit by cyber-attacks.
- VIDEO: Farmers test out 'flying sheepdog' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:33:56 GMT
- Paul Brennan talks to the BBC about sending a drone up to herd his sheep.
- African comedian replaces Jon Stewart Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:33:24 GMT
- Comedian Trevor Noah will replace Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, it is announced.
- Stephen Fry 'hounded off' Instagram Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:53:13 GMT
- Author and broadcaster Stephen Fry swears off Instagram, claiming to have been "hounded off" the photo-sharing service.
- Solar aeroplane lands in China Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:37:04 GMT
- Solar Impulse, the fuel-free aeroplane, lands in Chongqing, China, to complete leg five of its attempt to fly around the world.
- Mercury 'painted black' by comets Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:59:35 GMT
- The mystery of Mercury's dark surface can be explained by a steady dusting of carbon from passing comets, research suggests.
- Guinea declares Ebola 'emergency' Sun, 29 Mar 2015 00:00:41 GMT
- Guinean President Alpha Conde has declared a 45-day "health emergency" in five regions in the west and southwest of the Ebola-hit nation.
- Office workers 'too sedentary' Fri, 27 Mar 2015 01:54:21 GMT
- Office workers need to get up and move around more, according to a new campaign.
- Hamilton deal could be worth £27m Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:59:17 GMT
- World champion Lewis Hamilton expects to sign a new Mercedes contract this week that could be worth more than £27m a year.
- Australia announce Ashes squad Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:38:00 GMT
- Adam Voges and Fawad Ahmed are included in Australia's 17-man squad to play England in this summer's Ashes Test series.
- The beast of the Danube Mon, 23 Mar 2015 01:46:19 GMT
- The Danube salmon's last hunting grounds in Europe can be found in the Balkans - but a rash of dam-building poses a risk to its habitat.
- The men who uncovered Assyria Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:41:43 GMT
- Islamic State is destroying ancient cities excavated by three remarkable men in the middle of the 19th Century - among them the first Iraqi archaeologist.
- Porpoises use 'sound searchlights' Mon, 30 Mar 2015 00:12:58 GMT
- Porpoises finely adjust the size of the beams of sound they use to hunt - using sound like a searchlight to trap their prey, a study finds.
- Dickens' desk saved for public view Sun, 29 Mar 2015 02:37:21 GMT
- The desk where Charles Dickens wrote Great Expectations is finally on public display thanks to a £780,000 grant.