"No man can be called friendless when he has God and the companionship of good books."
—Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-61) British poet
- UK economic growth hits 2.6% in 2014 Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:20:02 GMT
- The UK's economy grew by 2.6% last year, the fastest pace since 2007, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.
- China blocks virtual network use Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:15:34 GMT
- China has blocked several popular services that let citizens skirt state censorship systems and reach banned sites.
- Facebook complies with Turkey block Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:42:24 GMT
- Facebook has blocked a page which a Turkish court claimed was offensive to the Prophet Muhammad.
- Greek singer Demis Roussos dies Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:11:21 GMT
- Greek singer Demis Roussos, who sold more than 60 million albums worldwide, has died aged 68, an Athens hospital confirms to the BBC.
- Cumberbatch sorry for 'coloured' comment Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:37:32 GMT
- Benedict Cumberbatch says "I'm an idiot" after talking about "coloured actors" on a US talk show.
- Metal explosions 'driven by charge' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:11:38 GMT
- New high-speed video footage suggests that the classic chemistry explosion of an alkali metal in water is driven by positive charges repelling each other.
- Risk of extreme weather 'doubles' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:11:59 GMT
- Extreme weather arising from a climate phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean will get much worse as the world warms, according to climate modelling.
- WHO vows reform after Ebola 'shocks' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:01:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization sets out plans for reform, admitting it was too slow to respond to the "horrific" Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Dementia 'link' to common drugs Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:22:52 GMT
- A study links commonly used medicines, including over-the-counter treatments for conditions such as insomnia and hay-fever, to dementia.
- Astana should be banned - Armstrong Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:00:55 GMT
- Lance Armstrong is unimpressed with Brian Cookson's start as UCI boss but is sorry today's riders must keep answering drugs questions.
- I'd probably cheat again - Armstrong Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:58:23 GMT
- Lance Armstrong says the time is coming when he should be forgiven, and tells the BBC he would do it again under the same circumstances.
- The camera that captured readers' lives Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:36:10 GMT
- Readers from around the world share their photographs, old and new, taken with Brownie cameras.
- Five ways an American changed how Sherlock Holmes looks and talks Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:30:43 GMT
- A 1916 silent movie featuring Sherlock Holmes - long presumed lost - is due to have its premiere in Paris. It stars a man who changed the way we see Conan Doyle's famous sleuth forever.
- India PM dons pinstripe 'name suit' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:06:21 GMT
- Pinstripes on Narendra Modi's traditional bandhgala suit were actually tiny letters spelling out his name
- Tax break for Italy dog adoptions Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:25:51 GMT
- A Sicilian town is offering reductions in rubbish-disposal fees if people give a dog a home.