"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- WHO crisis team holds Ebola talks Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:36:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization's emergency committee holds talks on travel restrictions and screening measures on the Ebola outbreak.
- 'Nine million have TB' - WHO report Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:17:01 GMT
- The World Health Organization revises its estimate as to how many people have tuberculosis up by 500,000, in its latest report into the killer disease.
- Ecclestone steps in to Caterham row Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:45:37 GMT
- Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone is hoping to resolve the dispute threatening the future of the Caterham team.
- Balotelli shirt swap angers Rodgers Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:29:29 GMT
- Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is unhappy Mario Balotelli swapped shirts with Real Madrid's Pepe at half-time.
- Remembering Ben Bradlee Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:26:06 GMT
- Today presenter James Naughtie remembers his friend, the legendary Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee who's died aged 93.
- Tales from the India Office Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:04:32 GMT
- Millions of documents recording Britain's 350-year presence in the sub-continent reveal some exotic stories.
- Rwanda MPs condemn BBC genocide film Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:45:12 GMT
- Rwanda's parliament condemns the BBC for broadcasting a TV documentary which questions official accounts of the 1994 genocide in the country.
- Military heads admit Afghan mistakes Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:40:51 GMT
- Military leaders failed to calculate the magnitude of the conflict in Afghanistan, the former head of the British army, Gen Sir Peter Wall, tells the BBC.
- Everton supporters attacked in Lille Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:11:31 GMT
- Two Everton fans are injured in an attack by 50 Lille supporters armed with metal chairs ahead of a Europa League match.
- Mayor 'ordered attack on students' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:19:31 GMT
- The mayor of the Mexican town of Iguala, where 43 students went missing last month, is wanted for allegedly ordering police to confront them.
- Syria air force 'steps up strikes' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:41:31 GMT
- The Syrian military has stepped up its air strikes on rebel-held areas dramatically, carrying out more than 200 in recent days, activists say.
- Obama 'optimistic' over Ebola in US Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:42:32 GMT
- President Barack Obama expresses cautious optimism about the Ebola situation in the US, as new screening rules are introduced in the country.
- NHS 'needs extra cash and overhaul' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:30:46 GMT
- The NHS in England needs extra money and drastic changes to the way services are organised if patient care is not to suffer, health bosses say.
- Police killer Roberts to be freed Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:23:17 GMT
- Police killer Harry Roberts is to be released after more than 45 years - a Parole Board decision described as "scandalous".
- Alice Gross funeral takes place Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:04:41 GMT
- The funeral for murdered schoolgirl Alice Gross has taken place in west London.