"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the sense shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourse of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness."
—Helen Adams Keller (1880-1968) American memoirist, lecturer
- 'Nine million have TB' - WHO report Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:17:01 GMT
- The World Health Organization revises its estimate as to how many people have tuberculosis up by 500,000, in its latest report into the killer disease.
- Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:18:21 GMT
- Real Madrid score three goals in the first half to secure a comfortable 3-0 win at Liverpool in the Champions League.
- RSC Anderlecht 1-2 Arsenal Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:03:46 GMT
- Arsenal score twice in the final two minutes to earn a dramatic comeback win at Champions League opponents Anderlecht.
- How safe is mouldy food to eat? Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:07:17 GMT
- British families throw away millions of tonnes of food every year, enough to fill Wembley stadium, to the brim. How much could be safely eaten?
- The man who magically made maths fun Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:08:32 GMT
- The maths writer Martin Gardner, who died in 2010, is said to have turned dozens of innocent youngsters into professors - and vice-versa.
- Somali teenager 'stoned to death' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:47:13 GMT
- An Islamic court has stoned an 18-year-old to death in southern Somalia after convicting him of raping a woman, a pro-Islamist news site reports.
- Protest group ends Islamabad sit-in Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:47:29 GMT
- Supporters of a leading anti-government cleric in Pakistan end a two-month protest in the capital Islamabad against PM Nawaz Sharif, but others remain.
- Total plane crash driver 'got lost' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:57:12 GMT
- A snowplough driver at a Moscow airport says he lost his bearings before a collision with a plane that killed Total oil boss Christophe de Margerie.
- Cuba leads way on Ebola effort Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:01:11 GMT
- Cuba sends a second group of medical staff to West Africa to help fight the Ebola outbreak, becoming the biggest single provider of healthcare workers.
- UN chief plans Gaza conflict inquiry Wed, 22 Oct 2014 03:54:24 GMT
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon says he is setting up an inquiry into attacks on UN facilities during Israel's recent offensive in the Gaza Strip.
- Freed N Korea detainee back in US Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:53:07 GMT
- A US citizen freed from detention in North Korea receives an emotional homecoming in Ohio as Washington works to release two other Americans.
- NHS 'needs extra cash and overhaul' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:00:20 GMT
- The NHS in England needs extra money and drastic changes to the way services are organised if patient care is not to suffer, health bosses say.
- Boy, 9, and man killed in house fire Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:19:27 GMT
- A nine-year-old boy and a 44-year-old man die after a house fire in Penistone, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire Police said.
- Juncker: Migration rules must stay Wed, 22 Oct 2014 20:04:16 GMT
- EU Commission boss Jean-Claude Juncker insists freedom of movement rules cannot be changed, putting him at odds with the UK.
- Legal challenge over abuse inquiry Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:16:35 GMT
- A legal challenge is launched into the choice of Fiona Woolf as the chair of the inquiry investigating historical child abuse as political pressure grows.