"In politics I am growing indifferent -- I would like it, if I could now return to my planting and books at home."
- Drug 'halves' breast cancer risk Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:30:10 GMT
- A "landmark study" shows a drug can more than halve the development of breast cancer in high-risk women.
- Global cancer cases reach 14 million Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:24:59 GMT
- The number of people being diagnosed with cancer in the world each year has leaped to more than 14 million, the World Health Organization says.
- Tottenham Hotspur 4-1 Anzhi Makhachkala Thu, 12 Dec 2013 22:03:45 GMT
- Tottenham finish the Europa League group stage with a 100% record as Roberto Soldado's treble helps them beat Anzhi Makhachkala 4-1.
- F1's Ecclestone faces inquiry call Thu, 12 Dec 2013 21:15:35 GMT
- An MP calls for a probe into the financial affairs of Bernie Ecclestone, as an £85m civil case against him is due to end.
- Life on a British Cold War submarine Thu, 12 Dec 2013 01:43:53 GMT
- At the height of the Cold War, HMS Ocelot would stay submerged for weeks at a time. Five members of her crew recall their life below the waves.
- Will Mandela's funeral be the biggest in history? Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:57:44 GMT
- Few events can have provided quite so much political stardust as the Nelson Mandela memorial service, where 52 presidents paid respects. But is it the biggest funeral?
- Congo peace deal 'signed in Kenya' Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:54:50 GMT
- The Democratic Republic of Congo's president has signed a peace deal with the M23 rebel movement his forces defeated last month, Kenya's presidential spokesman says.
- Lawyer for 'Bin Laden doctor' flees Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:26:37 GMT
- A lawyer for the jailed Pakistani doctor who helped the US track down Osama Bin Laden has fled the country, a colleague and relatives say.
- French care worker held over deaths Thu, 12 Dec 2013 21:04:20 GMT
- A care worker at a retirement home in the French Alps is charged with poisoning six pensioners to death and attempting to poison three others.
- Honduran president confirmed in post Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:36:01 GMT
- Juan Orlando Hernandez is officially declared president-elect of Honduras despite calls for an annulment by losing candidate Xiomara Castro.
- Bomb rocks Egypt police base Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:56:39 GMT
- A car bomb outside a police base in the Egyptian city of Ismailiya has killed a police officer and wounded at least 35 people, officials say.
- US woman guilty in cliff push death Thu, 12 Dec 2013 21:38:00 GMT
- A woman in the US state of Montana pleads guilty to second-degree murder, admitting she shoved her husband off a cliff eight days into their marriage.
- HS2 project essential to UK, say MPs Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:02:32 GMT
- The HS2 high-speed rail project is essential for the UK's future and the potential economic gains outweigh any risks, MPs say.
- Migrants face English language test Fri, 13 Dec 2013 02:10:49 GMT
- Migrants are to face questions about their English language skills before being able to claim income-related benefits, the government announces.
- Expensive calls to helplines to end Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:02:54 GMT
- Customers who call companies to complain about faulty goods will no longer have to pay premium rates, the government has announced