"All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned--the biggest word of all--look."
—Robert (L.) Fulghum (b. 1937) American writer, author
- Police 'incompetence' over Sir Cliff Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:42:06 GMT
- South Yorkshire Police are accused of "sheer incompetence" by MPs in the way they dealt with the BBC over a search of Sir Cliff Richard's home.
- Justin Bieber charged with assault Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:41:13 GMT
- Canadian pop star Justin Bieber is charged with assault and dangerous driving after crashing his quad bike into a minivan.
- Monkey leaders have different brains Tue, 02 Sep 2014 18:16:48 GMT
- Neuroscientists discover that primate brains show consistent differences according social status
- Rosetta set for 'capture' manoeuvres Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:38:52 GMT
- The Rosetta probe is about to begin the manoeuvres that will take it properly into orbit around Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.
- Ebola vaccine human trial begins in US Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:46:32 GMT
- A potential vaccine for Ebola is being tested in the US, with the first stage looking at how the immune system of 20 volunteers will respond to it.
- Japan tackles dengue fever outbreak Tue, 02 Sep 2014 05:47:04 GMT
- Japan is battling its first outbreak of dengue fever in almost 70 years, with at least 22 people confirmed as being infected.
- India humble England to win series Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:45:30 GMT
- India send England to a humiliating nine-wicket defeat to win the fourth one-day international at Edgbaston and the series 3-0.
- Gallacher gets Ryder Cup wildcard Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:55:32 GMT
- Paul McGinley selects debutant Stephen Gallacher, Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood as his Ryder Cup wildcards.
- The girl with three biological parents Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:15:16 GMT
- Alana Saarinen is one of a few people who have DNA from three different people - the UK may soon allow a new process which could make this more common.
- How Britain and Poland came to be intertwined Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:13:31 GMT
- The story of how the Polish became one of the UK's biggest ethnic minorities is one of war, exile and economic opportunity.
- Nigeria militants 'seize' major town Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:15:04 GMT
- Nigeria's militant Islamist group Boko Haram seizes the key north-eastern town of Bama after fighting with government forces, residents tell the BBC.
- UK activist's Thailand trial begins Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:48:38 GMT
- A UK activist who campaigns for better labour conditions goes on trial in Thailand charged with criminal defamation.
- EU's Mogherini calls for Nato muscle Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:48:41 GMT
- Nato must back words with actions to reassure countries bordering on Russia, the EU's new foreign affairs chief says.
- 'Cartel links' mayors to be charged Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:33:07 GMT
- Police in Mexico are holding two serving mayors and one ex-mayor over allegations they have links to the Knights Templar drug cartel.
- IS accused of Iraq ethnic cleansing Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:22:47 GMT
- Amnesty International says it has proof Islamic State militants have launched a campaign of ethnic cleansing against minorities in northern Iraq.