"To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations--such is a pleasure beyond compare."
- HK tycoon found guilty of corruption Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:59:33 GMT
- Hong Kong property tycoon Thomas Kwok and a former government official have been found guilty in the city's biggest-ever corruption case.
- Microsoft takes on tech scammers Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:33:32 GMT
- The US software giant takes legal action against firms it alleges have been offering bogus tech support in its name to unwitting consumers.
- Millions deleted in Instagram purge Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:30:02 GMT
- Photo-sharing app Instagram has removed millions of accounts believed to be posting spam, angering many legitimate users.
- Sony hack is 'US security issue' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:49:09 GMT
- The cyber attack on Sony that forced a major film release to be pulled is being viewed as a national security matter, the White House says.
- Morricone regrets Eastwood rejection Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:03:20 GMT
- Renowned Italian film composer Ennio Morricone tells the BBC's Will Gompertz that he regrets turning down the chance to compose music for Clint Eastwood.
- Carbon mission returns global maps Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:36:20 GMT
- Nasa's Orbiting Carbon Observatory produces its first global maps of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere.
- 7ft marine reptile fossil beach find Fri, 19 Dec 2014 09:27:21 GMT
- An amateur fossil hunter has unearthed a 7ft skeleton of a carnivorous marine reptile on a beach in south Wales.
- EU approves first stem cell therapy Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:48:00 GMT
- A stem cell therapy has been approved for widespread medical use in the EU for the first time.
- Painkillers 'cut skin cancer risk' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:57:07 GMT
- Regularly taking painkillers such as aspirin and ibuprofen may help protect against some forms of skin cancer, research suggests.
- 'Sierra Leone has become part of me' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:25:21 GMT
- Ex-Sierra Leone manager Johnny McKinstry, appointed at 27, recounts his departure from the Ebola-hit West African country.
- Smith ton leaves Test finely poised Fri, 19 Dec 2014 07:48:26 GMT
- Captain Steve Smith's second century in two Tests helps Australia open up a slender lead over India in Brisbane.
- The Russians fighting a 'holy war' in Ukraine Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:27:16 GMT
- The Kremlin denies sending Russian troops to Ukraine, but Russian volunteers there are proud to talk about their crusade to revive an Orthodox empire.
- The buildings that would have been impossible Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:11:52 GMT
- How computers helped build some of the world's most distinct buildings.
- Kazakh villages in guard wolf craze Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:49:32 GMT
- Villagers in Kazakhstan are increasingly buying wolves to guard their land.
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.