"Beware of the man of one book."
—Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-74) Italian Dominican monk, theologian, philosopher
- Smell test 'may predict lifespan' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:48:37 GMT
- US researchers say a simple smell test could help predict how likely someone is to be alive in five years' time.
- Cancer gene test 'would save lives' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:04:36 GMT
- Younger bowel cancer patients should be offered a genetic test to screen for a rare condition linked to a higher risk of cancer, say UK researchers.
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray Wed, 01 Oct 2014 21:08:43 GMT
- Danny Welbeck scores his first senior hat-trick as 10-man Arsenal beat Galatasaray 4-1 in the Champions League.
- Caterham to race on despite bailiffs Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:33:44 GMT
- Formula 1 team Caterham pledge to compete in this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix despite bailiffs visiting their base.
- Almaz's story Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:03:29 GMT
- When a young Ethiopian woman went to Saudi Arabia to work as a maid her new employers treated her like a slave.
- Why 'boots on the ground'? Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:01:03 GMT
- The expression "boots on the ground" may not have been used until about 1980.
- Ebola: 'Five S Leone cases per hour' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 21:58:43 GMT
- Save the Children says healthcare demands are far outstripping supply in Sierra Leone and warns that the Ebola outbreak there is getting worse.
- Japan volcano eruption deaths rise Wed, 01 Oct 2014 19:59:00 GMT
- Rescue workers in Japan recover more bodies from Mount Ontake, bringing to 47 the number of those killed by Saturday's surprise volcanic eruption.
- Lord Hill faces second 'EU grilling' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 19:11:32 GMT
- The UK's candidate to join the European Commission, Lord Hill, is summoned to a second hearing of MEPs to assess his suitability for the job.
- Chile avalanche kills extreme skiers Wed, 01 Oct 2014 09:14:46 GMT
- Extreme skiers Jean-Philippe Auclair and Carl Andreas Fransson have died in an avalanche in southern Chile, officials confirm.
- Fresh strikes around key Syrian town Wed, 01 Oct 2014 15:31:37 GMT
- US-led forces carry out air strikes on Islamic State militants battling Kurdish fighters around the northern Syrian border town of Kobane.
- White House 'intruder' denies charges Wed, 01 Oct 2014 19:47:26 GMT
- Omar Gonzalez, the man accused of scaling the White House fence and running into the building while carrying a knife, pleads not guilty to charges.
- Cameron pledges tax cuts 'for 30m' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 16:57:59 GMT
- David Cameron says a future Conservative government would cut taxes for thirty million people as he delivers his party conference speech.
- River body confirmed as missing Alice Wed, 01 Oct 2014 19:18:58 GMT
- A body found in a west London river is that of missing Alice Gross, the Metropolitan Police confirm.
- HK protest at London Chinese embassy Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:34:37 GMT
- Demonstrators gather outside the Chinese embassy in London to support pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.