"...A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."
—John Milton (1608-74) English poet, scholar, Paradise Lost
- Vitamin D's disease role queried Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:40:35 GMT
- Scientists have cast doubt on the value of vitamin D supplements to protect against diseases like cancers and diabetes.
- Johnson leaves England in disarray Sat, 07 Dec 2013 07:41:09 GMT
- England face a humiliating defeat after Mitchell Johnson sparks a collapse and Australia secure a 530-run lead.
- Woods shoots 62 at World Challenge Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:27:02 GMT
- Tiger Woods equals the course record with a 62 for a two-shot lead from Zach Johnson at the World Challenge in California.
- What 'outraged modesty' means in India Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:29:16 GMT
- Why women who have been raped may find their character on trial when they take a case to court.
- How to kill off World Cup 'group of death' Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:40:15 GMT
- As fans prepare for the draw for next year's World Cup in Brazil, Ben Carter considers how the process could be made fairer.
- 'Hundreds dead' in CAR violence Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:54:53 GMT
- At least 300 people have been killed in two days of violence in the Central African Republic capital, Bangui, the Red Cross says.
- First Pakistan Idol show broadcast Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:32:51 GMT
- The first episode of the music talent show Pakistan Idol is broadcast, to the delight of thousands of music lovers.
- Deadly storm lashes northern Europe Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:15:37 GMT
- Hurricane-force winds and tidal surges kill at least seven people in northern Europe, flood parts of Hamburg and leave thousands without power.
- Jaguar Land Rover invests in Brazil Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:19:24 GMT
- Jaguar Land Rover confirms plans to build a £240m car plant in Brazil capable of producing 24,000 vehicles a year.
- Egypt stops Morsi prison visits Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:11:48 GMT
- Egypt's interior ministry says it will no longer allow visits to Mohammed Morsi, who has been detained since being deposed as president in July.
- Biden urges Seoul-Tokyo co-operation Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:22:27 GMT
- US Vice-President Joe Biden urges Japan and South Korea to improve ties, amid tensions over China's air zone and North Korea.
- Minister to visit flood victims Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:15:24 GMT
- The Environment Secretary Owen Paterson will visit flood-affected communities in Hull and Boston later, as the clean-up continues.
- Helicopter crash funeral takes place Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:39:09 GMT
- The first of the funerals for the nine victims of the Clutha pub helicopter crash has taken place at Glasgow University.
- Football matches to honour Mandela Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:34:25 GMT
- A minute's applause in honour of former South African President Nelson Mandela is to be held later before kick-off at Premier League football matches.
- Landmark case 'could help' victims Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:03:54 GMT
- Victims of crime could benefit from a "landmark" case which saw a man jailed for a series of sex assaults and rape, the Crown Prosecution Service says.