"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- US manhunt for tuberculosis patient Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:44:49 GMT
- Authorities in California search for a fugitive homeless man who has refused treatment for tuberculosis and may be contagious.
- 'New virus' discovered in human gut Sat, 26 Jul 2014 00:14:03 GMT
- Scientists say they have stumbled upon a common virus that has never been described before.
- Hamilton at back of grid after fire Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:24:20 GMT
- Lewis Hamilton's car catches fire in Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying, leaving him at the back of the grid, with Nico Rosberg on pole.
- Bolt to run in 4x100m relay heats Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:49:51 GMT
- Jamaican Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games and says he will run in the heats of 4x100m relay.
- How odd is a cluster of plane accidents? Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:23:56 GMT
- In the space of eight days, three passenger planes have been lost in mid-flight - how unusual a cluster of accidents so close together?
- A country where liberal journalists risk death Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:04:26 GMT
- A writer who gets on the wrong side of religious activists in Pakistan is in severe danger, and may have to vanish to survive.
- CAR rebel leader rejects ceasefire Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:09:33 GMT
- Seleka rebels in the Central African Republic reject a ceasefire deal and demand the country be partitioned between Muslims and Christians.
- Dutch and Australians in MH17 talks Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:58:13 GMT
- The Netherlands and Australia seek access to the rebel-controlled crash site of MH17 in eastern Ukraine as more bodies arrive in Eindhoven.
- 'No survivors' in Air Algerie crash Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:41:51 GMT
- There are no survivors from the Air Algerie AH5017 passenger jet that crashed in Mali, says the French President, Francois Hollande.
- US 'will send migrant youths home' Sat, 26 Jul 2014 03:12:05 GMT
- President Obama meets Central American leaders and says undocumented immigrant children without legal claims to be in the US will be sent home.
- American reporter held in Iran Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:38:16 GMT
- An American reporter for the Washington Post, his wife and two other US journalists have been detained in Tehran, an Iranian official confirms.
- Homeowner kills 'pregnant burglar' Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:04:02 GMT
- Authorities in California are investigating whether to charge an elderly man who fatally shot a suspected female burglar who said she was pregnant.
- English councils propose 'Tesco tax' Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:30:39 GMT
- A group of local councils in England is formally asking the government for new powers to tax large supermarkets, a plan dubbed the "Tesco tax".
- Navy commander faces affair claims Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:20:34 GMT
- The first female commander of a major Royal Navy warship is understood to have left her vessel after allegations of an affair with one of her officers.
- Crowds out for second day of Giants Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:38:29 GMT
- Thousands of people are lining the streets of Liverpool for the second day of a giant marionette show commemorating the outbreak of World War One.