"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you."
—Mortimer Adler (b. 1902) American philosopher, educator, How to Read a Book
- Smartphones pack huge batteries Mon, 27 Apr 2015 13:20:59 GMT
- New smartphones from Lenovo and Acer feature much bigger batteries than is the norm for a handset.
- Valve boss responds on 'mod' row Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:22:08 GMT
- Valve boss Gabe Newell has defended the company's decision to let developers of some game modifications or 'mods' charge for their creations.
- Rediscovered Bacon portraits unveiled Mon, 27 Apr 2015 02:11:17 GMT
- Two self-portraits by Francis Bacon are going on public display for the first time after being rediscovered in a private collection, before being sold.
- Furious 7 stays top of US box office Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:19:45 GMT
- Furious 7 tops the US and Canada's box office for a fourth week, as Avengers: Age of Ultron tops the international chart a week ahead of its US release.
- Back pain link to chimpanzee spine Mon, 27 Apr 2015 02:29:07 GMT
- People with lower back problems are more likely to have a spine similar in shape to the chimpanzee, our closest ape ancestor.
- Nepal quake 'followed historic pattern' Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:14:56 GMT
- Nepal's devastating magnitude-7.8 earthquake on Saturday was primed over 80 years ago by its last massive earthquake in 1934, geologists working in the region say.
- Mitochondria editing tried in mice Sun, 26 Apr 2015 02:47:59 GMT
- Researchers develop a technique to edit out bits of mitochondrial DNA that could otherwise pass on incurable diseases, a study in mice shows.
- Hope over child malaria vaccine tests Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:01:19 GMT
- Final clinical trials of a malaria vaccine - the first to reach this stage - suggest it could protect one third of children against malaria, according to data published in The Lancet.
- 'Mayweather should retire after fight' Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:01:53 GMT
- Floyd Mayweather should quit after Saturday's super-fight against Manny Pacquiao, according to his father.
- Real best team in world - Hernandez Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:54:33 GMT
- Manchester United's Javier Hernandez says his loan club Real Madrid are the "best team in the world".
- The photographer who captures the horrors of the sea Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:22:39 GMT
- Photographer Juan Medina explains why he has spent the past 20 years following the stories of migrants trying to reach Europe by sea.
- The woman who adopts dead babies Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:20:15 GMT
- Twelve years ago a dead baby was found at Bernarda Gallardo's local rubbish dump - the only way she could give it a proper funeral was to adopt it.
- PM's 'brain fade' over football team Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:44:38 GMT
- David Cameron comes under fire from Twitter users after saying in a speech that he supported West Ham - when he is an Aston Villa fan.
- Belgrade residents in duck protest Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:55:10 GMT
- Protesters in the Serbian capital adopt a large foam duck as a symbol of their defiance.
- Sudan's Bashir wins a landslide Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:46:05 GMT
- Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir, accused of war crimes in Darfur, is re-elected with 94% of the vote, official results say.