"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- Japan economy at brink of deflation Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:10:14 GMT
- Annual core consumer inflation in Japan, the world's third-largest economy, stopped rising for the first time in nearly two years in February.
- Safari users win right to sue Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:25:12 GMT
- Google loses Court of Appeal bid to stop consumers having right to sue in UK over alleged misuse of privacy settings.
- Children on screens six hours a day Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:13:07 GMT
- A market research firm which has been collating the media habits of children for 20 years has published a comprehensive report on children's media habits.
- Top Gear: Tymon 'won't press charges' Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:00:24 GMT
- Oisin Tymon, the Top Gear producer physically and verbally attacked by Jeremy Clarkson, tells police he does not want to press charges.
- Swedish poet Tomas Transtroemer dies Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:27:01 GMT
- Swedish poet Tomas Transtroemer, who was awarded the 2011 Nobel Prize for Literature, dies at the age of 83.
- Greens ‘want 1% of GDP for science’ Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:32:19 GMT
- A pledge by the Greens to double science funding contrasts with the statements offered by five other party leaders, answering a call to set out their policies on science.
- Polar ice shelf thinning speeds up Thu, 26 Mar 2015 23:52:35 GMT
- Eighteen years of satellite data reveal an acceleration in the thinning of many of Antarctica's floating ice shelves.
- Office workers 'too sedentary' Fri, 27 Mar 2015 01:54:21 GMT
- Office workers need to get up and move around more, according to a new campaign.
- Fitness linked to lower cancer risk Fri, 27 Mar 2015 01:44:31 GMT
- Very fit men in their late 40s are less likely to get lung cancer and colorectal cancer than unfit men, a study in JAMA Oncology suggests.
- Russia keeper Akinfeev hit by flare Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:59:50 GMT
- Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev is struck by a flare as their Euro 2016 qualifier with Montenegro is abandoned.
- England 4-0 Lithuania Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:56:38 GMT
- Harry Kane scores on his international debut as England beat Lithuania 4-0 for their fifth Euro 2016 qualifying win.
- The beast of the Danube Mon, 23 Mar 2015 01:46:19 GMT
- The Danube salmon's last hunting grounds in Europe can be found in the Balkans - but a rash of dam-building poses a risk to its habitat.
- The men who uncovered Assyria Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:41:43 GMT
- Islamic State is destroying ancient cities excavated by three remarkable men in the middle of the 19th Century - among them the first Iraqi archaeologist.
- Work earlier in summer, says Japan PM Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:17:45 GMT
- Japan's prime minister says people should start work earlier during summer months for a better work-life balance.
- Love blooms for rival Russian MPs Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:51:34 GMT
- Two Russian MPs from different political parties get married after falling in love in parliament.