"We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. ... It is time now to write the next chapter-and to write it in the books of law."
—Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-73) 36th US President, Democrat
- Botox may have cancer fighting role Thu, 21 Aug 2014 00:18:59 GMT
- Botox injections - beloved by those seeking a wrinkle-free complexion - may help fight cancer, early animal studies suggest.
- Thousands 'eligible for Ebola drugs' Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:12:59 GMT
- Around 30,000 people could have been eligible for drugs in the current Ebola outbreak - if they had been available, a report in Nature suggests.
- Mackay apologises over text row Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:43:43 GMT
- Malky Mackay apologises for sending two one-line text messages he admits were "disrespectful of other cultures".
- Liverpool agree £16m Balotelli fee Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:59:03 GMT
- Liverpool agree a £16m fee with Italian club AC Milan to sign former Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli.
- The island that kids learn to leave Wed, 20 Aug 2014 00:26:53 GMT
- As hundreds of thousands of people leave Ireland to look for work, rural communities - such as those on Achill Island - are struggling to survive.
- VIDEO: Partition of India: My memories Tue, 19 Aug 2014 19:46:03 GMT
- In 1947, India split from Pakistan forcing millions of people to leave their homes in search of safety.
- Boko Haram 'control police academy' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:54:13 GMT
- Northern Nigeria's riot police training academy has been overrun by Boko Haram Islamist militants, sources in Borno state tell the BBC.
- Thailand coup general named as PM Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:38:16 GMT
- Thailand's junta leader General Prayuth Chan-ocha, who led a coup in May, is named the new prime minister, after a parliamentary vote.
- Hunt on for 'UK' beheading suspect Thu, 21 Aug 2014 16:40:55 GMT
- Police and security services are trying to identify a jihadist - thought to be British - in connection with the killing of US journalist James Foley.
- Guatemalan top general dies in crash Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:11:28 GMT
- The chief of the armed forces in Guatemala, General Rudy Ortiz, has died in a military helicopter crash near the border with Mexico, the Guatemalan government says.
- Iran MPs dismiss science minister Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:53:07 GMT
- Iran's parliament votes to dismiss Science Minister Reza Faraji-Dana, dealing a blow to reformist President Hassan Rouhani.
- Bergdahl prisoner swap 'illegal' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 20:19:37 GMT
- The exchange of five Taliban fighters held at Guantanamo Bay for a captive US soldier violated the law, a US government watchdog agency finds.
- GCSE grades rise, but fall in English Thu, 21 Aug 2014 18:08:50 GMT
- Hundreds of thousands of pupils are receiving their GCSE grades, with an overall rise in results despite changes to the exam system
- Comedian read paper while driving Thu, 21 Aug 2014 16:03:57 GMT
- Roy "Chubby" Brown is caught on camera reading a newspaper while driving along the A19 in North Yorkshire.
- Child sex abuser jailed for 18 years Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:03:15 GMT
- A man from North Yorkshire who raped and sexually abused two young girls is jailed for 18 years.