"Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom."
—Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) 3rd US President, Democrat
- Neuron growth 'cuts memory space' Sat, 25 May 2013 02:11:56 GMT
- The reason we struggle to recall memories from our early childhood is down to high levels of neuron production during the first years of life, say Canadian researchers.
- Some statins 'raise diabetes risk' Fri, 24 May 2013 06:44:51 GMT
- Some drugs taken to protect the heart may increase the risk of developing Type-2 diabetes, according to researchers in Canada.
- Klopp relishing 'perfect' occasion Fri, 24 May 2013 22:51:40 GMT
- As Borussia Dortmund face Bayern Munich in the Champions League final, boss Jurgen Klopp predicts a "special" Wembley occasion.
- Gill confident of keeping Rooney Fri, 24 May 2013 18:29:14 GMT
- Outgoing chief executive David Gill says "every bit of work" is being done to resolve Wayne Rooney's future.
- The uneven charm of Rome's cobblestones Thu, 23 May 2013 23:43:52 GMT
- Alan Johnston reports on the stories behind the cobblestones in Italy's capital.
- Dog years: The calculator Thu, 23 May 2013 23:52:00 GMT
- It's often said that every human year equates to seven dog years, but this calculator does a more accurate job.
- Belmokhtar 'supervised' Niger bombs Fri, 24 May 2013 22:12:39 GMT
- Militant leader Mokhtar Belmokhtar masterminded the two suicide bombs in Niger on Thursday which killed 20 people, a Mauritanian news agency reports.
- Afghan Taliban attack central Kabul Fri, 24 May 2013 19:48:03 GMT
- Afghan security forces battle Taliban insurgents for hours in central Kabul, following an explosion that shook the capital.
- Turkey to restrict alcohol sales Fri, 24 May 2013 13:58:51 GMT
- The Turkish parliament approves controversial legislation to restrict the sale and advertising of alcohol.
- Ecuador president starts third term Fri, 24 May 2013 17:53:52 GMT
- Ecuador's President, Rafael Correa, is sworn into office for an unprecedented third term in the capital, Quito.
- 'Poor response' to Iraq abuse claims Fri, 24 May 2013 16:16:18 GMT
- The UK government's response to claims that British troops abused and unlawfully killed civilians in Iraq is inadequate, the High Court rules, but it stops short of ordering a public inquiry.
- US bridge collapse 'caused by lorry' Fri, 24 May 2013 17:35:46 GMT
- The collapse of a road bridge over a river in the north-west US state of Washington was caused by an oversized lorry's crash, say officials.
- Tiger attack wildlife worker dies Sat, 25 May 2013 00:25:01 GMT
- A woman attacked by a tiger at the Cumbria wildlife park where she worked dies of her injuries.
- Warnings over flagship projects Sat, 25 May 2013 04:16:02 GMT
- More than 30 of the coalition's flagship schemes, including the West Coast Main Line scheme, are at serious risk of failure, a government report warns.
- Two held after plane alert over UK Fri, 24 May 2013 17:24:47 GMT
- Two men are held on suspicion of endangerment of an aircraft after RAF jets were scrambled to escort a Pakistan Airlines plane in UK airspace.