"The experience to be gathered from books, Though often valuable, is but of the nature of learning; Whereas the experience gained from actual life, Is of the nature of wisdom; And a small store of the latter Is worth vastly more than a stock of the former."
—Samuel Smiles (1812-1904) Self Help -1859
- US growth slows in fourth quarter Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:10:51 GMT
- The economy expanded by 2.6% in the last three months of 2014 - sharply lower than in the third quarter.
- Bill Gates insists AI is a threat Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:05:38 GMT
- Microsoft's founder says we should worry that AI escape our control, despite claims to the contrary by a Microsoft Research chief.
- Uber sued over India rape allegation Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:03:17 GMT
- An Indian woman who says she was raped by a Delhi driver of web-based taxi firm Uber files a lawsuit against the service in a US court.
- Robbie Coltrane taken ill on flight Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:11:58 GMT
- Harry Potter actor Robbie Coltrane is admitted to hospital in Florida with flu-like symptoms after falling ill during a flight from London.
- Conductor dies after stage collapse Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:18:28 GMT
- Renowned conductor Israel Yinon dies, aged 59, after collapsing during a concert performance in Switzerland.
- Controllers banking on Philae wake-up Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:28:09 GMT
- The European Space Agency says it will conduct no more dedicated searches for its lost comet lander, and will now wait for the probe itself to call home.
- Leak suggests cosmic study was wrong Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:29:10 GMT
- Scientists who claimed to have found evidence for a cosmic super-expansion at the Big Bang made no such discovery, a leak of a concluding study suggests.
- Child obesity rates 'levelling off' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:04:14 GMT
- The rise in childhood obesity, which has left one in three children overweight, may be beginning to level off in the under-10s, a study suggests.
- Bedtime 'has huge impact on sport' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 05:28:20 GMT
- Our internal body clock has such a dramatic impact on sporting ability that it could alter the chances of Olympic gold.
- Djokovic in Australian Open final Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:31:49 GMT
- Novak Djokovic beats defending champion Stan Wawrinka in another dramatic five-set contest to reach the Australian Open final.
- Chelsea's Costa gets three-match ban Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:35:03 GMT
- Chelsea's Diego Costa is banned for three matches for stamping on Liverpool's Emre Can and misses the Manchester City clash.
- How Russia outfoxes its enemies Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:39:20 GMT
- The annexation of Crimea was the latest instance of an age-old Russian military deception tactic known as maskirovka, writes Lucy Ash.
- China's super-rich communist Buddhists Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:35:29 GMT
- There are new signs that while a crackdown on Tibetan nationalism continues, China may be softening its position towards the Tibetan Buddhism, and even the Dalai Lama.
- 'Room service over' for rescued koala Fri, 30 Jan 2015 05:10:32 GMT
- A koala who shot to fame after being pictured receiving treatment for burnt paws has been returned to the wild, says the expert who treated him.
- China revives 'Moscow of the East' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:30:43 GMT
- Chinese city with historic Moscow ties gets Russian theme park.