"A classic is a book which people praise and don't read."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Cancer-killing cells made in the lab Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:27:46 GMT
- Scientists from Harvard Medical School have discovered a way of turning stem cells into killing machines to fight brain cancer.
- First transplant of 'dead' heart Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:00:25 GMT
- Surgeons in Australia say they have performed the first heart transplant using a "dead heart".
- Northampton 34-6 Ospreys Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:04:51 GMT
- Four tries from Wales wing George North see Saints end Ospreys' unbeaten start to the season in the Champions Cup.
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:25:21 GMT
- Manchester City's title ambitions suffer a setback as Diafra Sakho scores to help earn West Ham earn a 2-1 victory.
- The day UFOs stopped play Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:31:00 GMT
- In 1954, a football game in Florence was interrupted by UFOs flying over the stadium. The spectacle was witnessed by more than 10,000 people – but what was it?
- How to solve brain-teasers set by a top puzzle master Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:32:50 GMT
- The Magazine recently wrote about the late puzzle master extraordinaire, Martin Gardner, and shared some of his brain-teasers - as promised, here are the answers.
- Rwanda bans BBC over genocide film Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:29:57 GMT
- Rwanda suspends BBC broadcasts in the Kinyarwanda language with immediate effect because of a controversial documentary about the 1994 genocide.
- Younus sets Pakistan century record Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:27:29 GMT
- Younus Khan becomes Pakistan's highest Test century maker as they set Australia 438 to win the first Test in Dubai.
- Russia 'helped Yanukovych to flee' Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:01:04 GMT
- Vladimir Putin says for the first time that Russia helped Ukraine's ex-President Viktor Yanukovych to flee after he was ousted in February.
- Life terms for Argentina jail crimes Sat, 25 Oct 2014 01:56:09 GMT
- An Argentine ex-police chief and ex-interior minister are among 15 people given life sentences for involvement in a torture centre in the 1970s.
- Tunis 'militant hideout' stormed Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:00:15 GMT
- Tunisian security forces storm a house in a Tunis suburb to end a stand-off with armed militants, killing six people, officials say.
- Two US Ebola nurses free of virus Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:10:30 GMT
- Two nurses infected with Ebola while treating a patient in Dallas are declared free of the deadly virus, a day after the first infection in New York.
- Lamont quits after role 'questioned' Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:40:31 GMT
- Scottish Labour leader Johann Lamont resigns saying senior party members had "questioned" her role amid the "serious challenges" faced by Labour in Scotland.
- Ex-first ministers hit out at Labour Sat, 25 Oct 2014 09:50:20 GMT
- Two former first ministers of Scotland have hit out at Labour's treatment of its Scottish leader Johann Lamont.
- IT issues cause Heathrow disruption Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:41:43 GMT
- There is disruption at Heathrow Airport after "issues" with an IT system, British Airways confirms.