"The American mind, unlike the English, is not formed by books, but, as Carl Sandburg once said to me, by newspapers and the Bible."
—Van Wyck Brooks (1886-1963) American critic, historian
- Top Gear 'regrets' Burma remark Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:49:27 GMT
- The executive producer of Top Gear expresses regret over a "light-hearted" remark on its Burma special that led to the BBC show being accused of racism.
- President Obama: Knuckles lives on Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:07:51 GMT
- US President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama have written a to the friends and family of the late musician.
- Asteroid impact risks 'underplayed' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:18:33 GMT
- A visualisation showing where sizeable asteroids have hit the Earth in recent years has been released by the B612 Foundation.
- Graphene 'made with kitchen blender' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:03:27 GMT
- Scientists have outlined how they managed to make the wonder material graphene using a kitchen blender.
- Saudi health minister sacked Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:00:57 GMT
- As Saudi Arabia dismisses its health minister, the Mers virus death toll continues to rise.
- Skin cancer rates 'surge since 70s' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:32:58 GMT
- The incidence of the most serious skin cancer is now five times higher than it was in the 1970s, figures show.
- Scholes returns to help coach Man Utd Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:09:39 GMT
- Paul Scholes will assist long-time friend Ryan Giggs at Manchester United following the sacking of David Moyes.
- The man who takes troubled youths to therapy camp Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:06:17 GMT
- As more and more families send their drug and alcohol-addicted kids to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US, more and more become acquainted with the shadowy figure known as the "escort."
- Rome's international community of the dead Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:14:42 GMT
- Alan Johnston has been exploring a corner of Rome that always lies just a little beyond the world of Catholicism.
- Mali group says French hostage dead Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:17:22 GMT
- Islamist militants in Mali say French hostage Gilberto Rodrigues Leal, who was kidnapped in 2012, is dead.
- VIDEO: Pakistan mobile network auction Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:53:41 GMT
- The BBC's Nosheen Abbas reports on Pakistan's first 3G and 4G auction and the boost it may give to the nation's economy.
- Malta criticised for mass bird shoot Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:51:59 GMT
- A leading British naturalist accuses Malta of failing to prevent large-scale illegal shooting of migratory birds by hunters.
- Brazil ex-president 'not murdered' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:03:10 GMT
- Brazil's National Truth Commission says the death of ex-President Juscelino Kubitschek was an accident, despite claims he was murdered.
- Yemen identifying dead 'militants' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:44:56 GMT
- Yemen is carrying out DNA tests to identify suspected militants killed in air strikes in recent days, amid reports they include al-Qaeda leaders.
- Facebook boss wants women to act Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:58:38 GMT
- Facebook's highest-ranked woman says women need to take action to create a more equal world.