"Books must follow sciences, and not sciences books."
—Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626) English philosopher, essayist, statesman
- Glaxo 'paid Polish doctors bribes' Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:04:46 GMT
- UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama discovers.
- Palace loss should not stand - Cardiff Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:46:39 GMT
- The BBC obtains a letter sent by Cardiff City that says the defeat by Crystal Palace in early April should not stand.
- Uplifting letters of hope sent to children of Syria Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:10:37 GMT
- Somali children living in the world's largest refugee camp in Kenya have sent letters of encouragement to Syrian refugee children who have also had to flee their homeland.
- VIDEO: The Spanish hamlet being given away for free Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:29:35 GMT
- The mayor of the abandoned hamlet of A Barca in north-west Spain is offering to give it away for free to someone who will develop the area and provide employment.
- Algeria votes on Bouteflika's future Thu, 17 Apr 2014 08:42:32 GMT
- Polls open in Algeria where 77-year-old President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who suffered a stroke last year, is seeking a fourth term in office.
- Australia navy captains disciplined Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:35:03 GMT
- An Australian navy captain is removed from his command and another disciplined for violating Indonesia's waters on asylum patrol duties.
- Court clears ex-Anglo bank boss Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:12:43 GMT
- The former chairman of Anglo Irish bank has been found not guilty of illegally supporting the bank's share price, the jury continues to deliberate in the case against two others.
- Brazil troops guard strike-hit Bahia Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:31:01 GMT
- Brazil sends thousands of federal troops to maintain order in the north-eastern state of Bahia after police there went on strike over pay.
- Mid-East peace talks meeting delayed Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:11:21 GMT
- A meeting between Palestinian and Israeli peace negotiators has been postponed in the wake of a killing of an Israeli in the West Bank.
- Bloomberg in $50m push for gun laws Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:39:26 GMT
- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announces a $50m (£30m) election year push for stricter gun laws across the US.
- Co-op Group reports £2.5bn loss Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:01:32 GMT
- The Co-operative Group reports losses of £2.5bn, the worst results in its 150-year history, after what its chief executive calls a "disastrous" year.
- Man guilty of beheading girlfriend Thu, 17 Apr 2014 11:59:34 GMT
- A man who beheaded his teenage girlfriend with a kitchen knife at his flat in Sheffield is found guilty of her murder.
- Lorry driver held over M26 crash Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:59:00 GMT
- A lorry driver is arrested following a five-vehicle pile up on the M26 in Kent in which two people died and seven others were injured.
- Pensioners could get death estimate Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:31:48 GMT
- Retirees could be told how long they are likely to live after stopping work, says pensions minister Steve Webb.
- Day in pictures: 16 April 2014 Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:54:07 GMT
- News photos from past 24 hours: 16 April