"A man loses contact with reality if he is not surrounded by his books."
—François Maurice Mitterrand (b. 1916) President of France
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Plain packs 'no illegal smoking link' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:15:39 GMT
- A study of smokers in Australia suggests there is "no evidence" that the introduction of standardised cigarette packaging has changed the way people buy cigarettes.
- Man Utd agree fee with Ajax for Blind Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:09:05 GMT
- Netherlands international Daley Blind is set to become Manchester United's fifth summer signing after a fee is agreed with Ajax.
- Milan agree two-year loan for Torres Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:26:55 GMT
- Chelsea striker Fernando Torres will move to AC Milan on a two-year loan deal, subject to agreeing personal terms.
- VIDEO: California's new gold rush Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:02:13 GMT
- In The New Forty-Niners, photographer Sarina Finkelstein documents a new wave of gold seekers in California, more than 160 years after the Gold Rush.
- Visiting a Kurdish capital in the US Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:13:44 GMT
- In Nashville, Kurdish immigrants have built a lively community. Monica Campbell took a tour with a local resident.
- Senegal confirms first Ebola case Fri, 29 Aug 2014 20:28:21 GMT
- Senegal's health ministry confirms a first case of Ebola, making it the fifth West African country now affected by the outbreak.
- Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:31:24 GMT
- Malaysia Airlines is to cut 6,000 staff as part of recovery plan after being hit by two air disasters this year.
- EU leaders to decide top jobs Sat, 30 Aug 2014 02:40:04 GMT
- Leaders of the EU's 28 states are heading to Brussels for a special Saturday summit to decide who will fill two of Europe's top jobs.
- Ecuador to bring in digital currency Fri, 29 Aug 2014 23:44:45 GMT
- Ecuador says it will introduce the world's first digital currency issued by a central bank and it will go into circulation in December.
- More than 3m have fled Syria - UN Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:02:53 GMT
- The UN says Syria is now "the biggest humanitarian emergency of our era" with more than three million Syrians living outside the country as refugees.
- US steps up sanctions over Iran Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:54:03 GMT
- The US has imposed new sanctions on companies and individuals in connection with Iran's nuclear programme.
- Missing Ashya King 'may be in Spain' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 07:24:40 GMT
- A five-year-old boy with a brain tumour, missing since being taken out of hospital by his parents against medical advice, may be in Spain, Hampshire Police say.
- MH17 crash: Briton's body identified Sat, 30 Aug 2014 07:15:35 GMT
- The Foreign Office confirms the body of John Alder, one of 10 Britons killed in the Malaysia Airlines crash, has been identified.
- Rogue landlords 'must face crackdown' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 03:01:55 GMT
- Housing experts are calling for minimum standards in the private rental market to prevent landlords from exploiting vulnerable tenants.