"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- Liberia shuts borders to curb Ebola Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:40:50 GMT
- Most border crossings in Liberia are closed and communities hit by an Ebola outbreak face quarantine to stop the virus spreading.
- Fist bumps 'cleaner than handshakes' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 02:00:49 GMT
- Scientists at Aberystwyth University in Wales have shown that more bacteria are transferred by shaking hands, than by fist-bumping or high-fiving.
- Van Gaal to bide time over new faces Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:29:51 GMT
- Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal will not rush to make signings despite "having" to play with wing-backs recently.
- Williams fit for US Open after virus Tue, 29 Jul 2014 07:59:29 GMT
- World number one Serena Williams will be fit to defend her US Open title next month after recovering from a virus.
- Germany's super-shy super-rich Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:31:29 GMT
- Why do some of Germany's wealthiest families dodge the limelight and avoid conspicuous consumption?
- The people who want to be near a tornado Sat, 26 Jul 2014 22:58:37 GMT
- In the US, the number of people who chase tornados is growing - why do they put themselves in danger?
- Stunning Okagbare storms to 100m gold Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:03:44 GMT
- Blessing Okagbare takes the gold in the women's 100m while England's Asha Philips produces a personal best to finish fourth.
- Australia approves $15.5bn coal mine Tue, 29 Jul 2014 07:30:16 GMT
- Australia approves a $15.5bn (£9bn) coal project despite concern over its potential environmental impact, including on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Russia plans $50bn Yukos appeal Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:54:12 GMT
- Russia will appeal against a court decision ordering it to pay the biggest compensation package to date, amounting to $50bn (£29.5bn) in damages.
- Hero's welcome for freed Venezuelan Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:13:58 GMT
- Venezuelan official Gen Hugo Carvajal is warmly welcomed in Caracas after his release in Aruba, where he had been arrested on drug-trafficking charges.
- Tripoli fuel fire 'out of control' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:12:03 GMT
- A second fuel tank at Libya's biggest fuel storage facility is in flames as the government requests international assistance to contain the huge blaze.
- LA Clippers sale 'can go ahead' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:11:35 GMT
- A US judge rules that the LA Clippers basketball team can be sold, despite the objections of banned co-owner Donald Sterling.
- PM to meet families of MH17 victims Tue, 29 Jul 2014 08:01:43 GMT
- Prime Minister David Cameron is to meet the families of British victims of the Malaysia Airlines MH17 plane crash at Downing Street.
- Diesels 'face £10 pollution charge' Tue, 29 Jul 2014 08:30:32 GMT
- Plans to charge drivers of diesel cars £10 to drive into central London are being considered, it is reported.
- Band 'didn't believe' Watkins abuse Tue, 29 Jul 2014 04:22:17 GMT
- Former members of Lostprophets say they originally hoped child abuse reports about singer Ian Watkins were a "mistake" and now want to move forward.