"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves."
—Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) British writer, A Room with a View
- Smell test 'may predict lifespan' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:48:37 GMT
- US researchers say a simple smell test could help predict how likely someone is to be alive in five years' time.
- Cancer gene test 'would save lives' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:04:36 GMT
- Younger bowel cancer patients should be offered a genetic test to screen for a rare condition linked to a higher risk of cancer, say UK researchers.
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray Wed, 01 Oct 2014 21:08:43 GMT
- Danny Welbeck scores his first senior hat-trick as 10-man Arsenal beat Galatasaray 4-1 in the Champions League.
- Caterham to race on despite bailiffs Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:33:44 GMT
- Formula 1 team Caterham pledge to compete in this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix despite bailiffs visiting their base.
- How Bosnia is helping Cyprus find peace Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:07:53 GMT
- In the 1960s and 1970s, hundreds of Cypriots disappeared. Now, with the help of a laboratory in Bosnia, there is a renewed effort to find out what happened to them.
- Why Japan's sunny beaches are deserted Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:35:44 GMT
- For much of September, Tokyo basked in temperatures of 25C or more. In most countries there would be a rush for the beach, but not in Japan.
- Grace Mugabe 'should hand back PhD' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:52:22 GMT
- Award-winning Zimbabwean writer Chenjerai Hove calls on Zimbabwe's first lady Grace Mugabe to hand back her PhD as students demand an investigation.
- Japan volcano eruption deaths rise Wed, 01 Oct 2014 19:59:00 GMT
- Rescue workers in Japan recover more bodies from Mount Ontake, bringing to 47 the number of those killed by Saturday's surprise volcanic eruption.
- New Nato chief urges Russian rethink Wed, 01 Oct 2014 16:19:44 GMT
- The new Nato chief, Jens Stoltenberg, says the alliance wants constructive ties with Russia - but Russian policy in Ukraine must change.
- Chile avalanche kills extreme skiers Wed, 01 Oct 2014 09:14:46 GMT
- Extreme skiers Jean-Philippe Auclair and Carl Andreas Fransson have died in an avalanche in southern Chile, officials confirm.
- Iran filmmakers back nuclear deal Wed, 01 Oct 2014 17:01:14 GMT
- Six prominent Iranian filmmakers launch a campaign urging world powers to agree a permanent solution to the dispute over Iran's nuclear programme.
- Texas children 'monitored for Ebola' Thu, 02 Oct 2014 00:24:50 GMT
- Five children in Texas who came into contact with the Liberian man infected with Ebola are being monitored at home.
- Ebola fight hit by aid cuts, MPs warn Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:20:17 GMT
- Cuts in the amount of health aid the UK provides to Liberia and Sierra Leone have "compromised the fight" to stop the spread of the Ebola virus, MPs warn.
- Over 500 GP practices 'risk closure' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 23:52:57 GMT
- Hundreds of GP practices are at risk of closure because of the ageing workforce, doctors' leaders say.
- HK protest at London Chinese embassy Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:34:37 GMT
- Demonstrators gather outside the Chinese embassy in London to support pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.