"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Plain packs 'no illegal smoking link' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:15:39 GMT
- A study of smokers in Australia suggests there is "no evidence" that the introduction of standardised cigarette packaging has changed the way people buy cigarettes.
- Real Sociedad 4-2 Real Madrid Sun, 31 Aug 2014 21:28:37 GMT
- Real Sociedad come back from two goals down to seal a famous victory over European champions Real Madrid.
- Wozniacki beats Sharapova in US Open Sun, 31 Aug 2014 21:46:20 GMT
- Caroline Wozniacki reaches the US Open quarter-final with a three-set win over fifth seed Maria Sharapova.
- Why Orwell was a literary mediocrity Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:40:17 GMT
- George Orwell was a literary mediocrity and his views on the importance of plain writing are plain wrong, argues writer Will Self.
- Why I stopped wearing the headscarf Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:36:59 GMT
- A woman's headscarf is a garment which is heavy in symbolism in Islamic countries but recently I decided to take mine off. I am still Muslim - just not so visibly.
- Lesotho PM flees 'military coup' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:53:50 GMT
- Lesotho's prime minister crosses into South Africa, accusing Lesotho's army of staging a coup and telling the BBC his life is in danger.
- Key Thai ministries go to military Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:16:44 GMT
- Thai military leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha appoints a new cabinet, with key posts going to serving or former generals.
- Eurosceptics win German state seats Sun, 31 Aug 2014 17:47:04 GMT
- Eurosceptic party 'Alternative for Germany' wins its first state parliament seats in the eastern state of Saxony, according to exit polls.
- El Salvador gangs re-launch truce Sat, 30 Aug 2014 19:45:45 GMT
- Leaders of five of El Salvador's powerful gangs say they will stop attacking police and military in a bid to re-launch a gang truce agreed two years ago.
- Iraqi forces 'reach besieged Amerli' Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:52:58 GMT
- Iraqi forces reach the besieged town of Amerli, where thousands of people have been trapped by jihadists, military officials say.
- US senators urge arms for Ukraine Mon, 01 Sep 2014 05:31:21 GMT
- Key American senators call for the US to send weapons to help Ukraine fight what they say is "a Russian invasion".
- Ashya brother defends arrested parents Sun, 31 Aug 2014 22:15:41 GMT
- A boy with a brain tumour whose parents took him from a hospital against medical advice had everything he needed to be safe, his brother says.
- High-powered hairdryers under threat Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:01:07 GMT
- High-powered hairdryers are on a list of household electrical items the EU is considering banning in an attempt to curb energy consumption.
- Umunna: Brown's denials hurt Labour Mon, 01 Sep 2014 02:39:58 GMT
- Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna says Gordon Brown's refusal to use the word "cuts" in 2010 is still hurting Labour.