"Generally speaking, men are influenced by books which clarify their own thought, which express their own notions well, or which suggest to them ideas which their minds are already predisposed to accept."
—Carl Lotus Becker (1873-1945) American historian
- Wii games 'help control diabetes' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:11:23 GMT
- Playing 'active' computer games can help people with type 2 diabetes better control their blood sugar, a medical trial finds.
- Ketamine 'should be made Class B' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:07:34 GMT
- Ketamine should be upgraded from a Class C drug to Class B after new evidence revealed the damage it can have on the bladder, government advisers are to say.
- F1 to double points for final race Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:47:12 GMT
- Drivers will be awarded double points at the final race of the season from 2014, one of a number of changes to the sport's regulations.
- England facing annihilation - Boycott Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:23:22 GMT
- England lack the "desire and heart" to compete with Australia in the Ashes, says former batsman Geoffrey Boycott.
- Five Lenins in unexpected places Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:15:06 GMT
- Kiev no longer has a monument Lenin, but there are plenty elsewhere - including some where you'd least expect to find them.
- How I learned to love the sari Mon, 09 Dec 2013 00:32:34 GMT
- There are a 108 ways of tying a sari, but Anu Anand had never learned one - until she went to sari school.
- Thousands mourn Congo rumba star Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:44:16 GMT
- Thousands of people in the Democratic Republic of Congo attend the state funeral of rumba star Tabu Ley Rochereau in the capital, Kinshasa.
- US urges China to release Liu Xiaobo Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:46:01 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry urges China to release Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo, five years after the activist was detained.
- Ukraine police move on opposition Mon, 09 Dec 2013 20:35:41 GMT
- Ukrainian security forces are moving in on anti-government protesters and an opposition party, in a stand-off over government dealings with the EU.
- Venezuela governing party leads poll Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:48:52 GMT
- Venezuela's governing United Socialist Party wins the greatest share of the vote in Sunday's local elections, the National Electoral Council says.
- Syria army holds Damascus-Homs road Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:02:02 GMT
- Syrian government forces are reported to have taken control of the motorway linking Damascus with the city of Homs, as well as the nearby town of Nabak.
- US citizen home after N Korea ordeal Sat, 07 Dec 2013 19:16:10 GMT
- US citizen Merrill Newman arrives in San Francisco after being released by North Korea after more than a month in detention there.
- UK housing market 'surging ahead' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:34:52 GMT
- Chartered surveyors believe house prices are likely to continue "surging ahead", the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors says.
- Comic Relief invested in arms trade Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:01:46 GMT
- Millions of pounds donated to Comic Relief have been invested in shares in tobacco, alcohol and arms firms, BBC Panorama learns.
- Border Force neglecting duties - MPs Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:04:59 GMT
- Poor planning and outdated IT systems mean the Border Force is failing to fulfil all of its duties, the Commons public accounts committee says.