"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."
—Saint Augustine (354-430) Christian church father, philosopher, bishop
- Apple 'deeply offended' by BBC story Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:05:38 GMT
- Apple has said it is "deeply offended" by a BBC investigation into conditions for workers involved in manufacturing its devices.
- Photographer Jane Bown dies aged 89 Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:40:27 GMT
- Photographer Jane Bown, known for her portraits of the Queen, the Beatles and Samuel Beckett among many others, dies aged 89.
- Lord Sugar names his tenth Apprentice Sun, 21 Dec 2014 22:01:20 GMT
- Amstrad founder Lord Sugar names Australian businessman Mark Wright as his latest business partner, at the climax of BBC One's The Apprentice.
- Antarctic science archive unlocked Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:19:32 GMT
- Aerial photographs from the 1940s and 1950s are being used to probe the climate history of the Antarctic Peninsula.
- LA River's flood role is 'paramount' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:27:39 GMT
- Any moves to modify the concrete Los Angeles River, to return parts of it to a more natural setting or to capture water, must not compromise its flood-protection function, say scientists.
- NHS to start era of DNA-medicine Mon, 22 Dec 2014 00:00:03 GMT
- The NHS is setting up 11 centres aimed at unlocking the secrets of DNA and developing drugs to target cancer and rare genetic diseases.
- Asthma inhalers 'not used properly' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:00:55 GMT
- Charities warn patients are not being taught how to use potentially life-saving asthma inhalers and allergy auto-injectors correctly.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:34:55 GMT
- Martin Skrtel's header seven minutes into stoppage time earns Liverpool a draw against Arsenal in the Premier League.
- Athletic Bilbao 1-4 Atletico Madrid Sun, 21 Dec 2014 22:59:25 GMT
- Spanish champions Atletico Madrid end a remarkable 2014 on a high with a 4-1 comeback win at Athletic Bilbao.
- How 12 days of Christmas have become 12 pubs Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:19:56 GMT
- Dublin's pubs are experiencing a new phenomenon - the 12 days of Christmas have turned into the 12 pubs of Christmas... visited all in one night.
- Teaching winter to new US refugees Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:07:55 GMT
- Thousands of refugees arrive in the US each year, and those who end up in chilly Minnesota have to learn about what to expect for their first winter.
- Kazakh villages in guard wolf craze Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:49:32 GMT
- Villagers in Kazakhstan are increasingly buying wolves to guard their land.
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Liberia vote count in Ebola-hit poll Sun, 21 Dec 2014 15:01:21 GMT
- Votes are being counted in Liberia's senate election held on Saturday despite a deadly Ebola outbreak, but many people decided to stay away.
- Xi defends 'one-China' idea in Macau Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:02:12 GMT
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges Macau residents to respect the "one-China" policy, amid street protests in the former Portuguese colony.