"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- Actress's $150,000 Oscar dress stolen Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:41:56 GMT
- A $150,000 designer dress worn by actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Oscars is stolen from a Hollywood hotel.
- Canadian court keeps oath to Queen Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:01:04 GMT
- Canada's Supreme Court rejects a move to scrap the country's citizenship oath, which requires applicants to swear allegiance to the UK monarchy.
- US growth revised down to 2.2% Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:54:43 GMT
- The slowdown in the US economy at the end of last year was more pronounced than previously thought, official figures show.
- VW faces challenges as profits jump Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:30:33 GMT
- Volkswagen reports a sharp jump in annual profits as revenue hits €200bn, but warns of tough market conditions this year.
- Cyber attacks top US threat list Fri, 27 Feb 2015 01:07:36 GMT
- A US intelligence assessment of security threats faced by the country highlights cyber attacks from foreign governments and criminals.
- Google backs down over Blogger porn Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:33:51 GMT
- Google has changed its mind about forcing sexually explicit blogs on its Blogger platform to become private.
- Robin Williams' daughter speaks out Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:14:53 GMT
- Zelda Williams says there is "no point" in seeking any explanation for why the comedian took his own life last August.
- Harrison Ford back for Blade Runner Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:42:10 GMT
- Harrison Ford will reprise his role as police officer Rick Deckard in the forthcoming Blade Runner sequel, it is confirmed.
- Wheat present in UK 'for 8,000 years' Fri, 27 Feb 2015 03:23:25 GMT
- Fragments of wheat DNA suggest wheat was present in Britain 8,000 years ago, long before it was grown by British farmers.
- Fungus plays 'biomusic' duet Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:52:58 GMT
- Scientists at Plymouth University play improvised pieces of music with the help of slime mould.
- Age-related leukaemia cases may soar Fri, 27 Feb 2015 03:17:59 GMT
- It is "almost inevitable" that your blood will take the first steps towards leukaemia as you age, researchers show.
- 'Give HIV drugs to healthy gay men' Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:12:20 GMT
- Healthy gay men should be offered daily HIV drugs to prevent infections, say campaigners.
- Qatar 2022 final by 18 Dec - Blatter Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:24:04 GMT
- Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the Qatar 2022 World Cup final should be played no later than 18 December.
- De Villiers sets record in SA win Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:43:27 GMT
- AB de Villiers hits the fastest 150 in ODIs as South Africa condemn West Indies to a World Cup record-equalling 257-run defeat.
- 10 weird things Americans are doing in the snow Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:24:24 GMT
- From renting an igloo to dressing as a Yeti, the record snowfall in Boston has inspired some unusual and ingenious acts.