"Life is a library owned by an author. It has a few books which he wrote himself, but most of them were written for him."
—Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969) American religious leader
- Call for further cut in sugar intake Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:36:50 GMT
- The target to reduce sugar consumption should be much more ambitious, health experts say.
- Brains may 'resist Alzheimer's' Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:15:55 GMT
- A small study suggests some people's brains may have the ability to resist early Alzheimer's damage.
- Gerrard 'jealous' during Euro absence Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:25:15 GMT
- Steven Gerrard has been "craving" Champions League football after watching rivals in the competition during Liverpool's five-year absence.
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:30:44 GMT
- Enner Valencia scores a stunner for West Ham, who come from behind twice to draw 2-2 with Hull in the Premier League.
- The photographer who rejected racism Sun, 14 Sep 2014 23:31:12 GMT
- Hugh Mangum, a photographer from North Carolina, defied racial segregation in the early 1900s and opened up his studio to people from all walks of life
- The memory of hell among the sunflowers Sat, 13 Sep 2014 23:43:59 GMT
- When Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crashed in Ukraine, rescue workers, local residents and journalists rushed to the site - what they saw had a deep and lasting impact.
- UN takes over CAR peace mission Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:34:09 GMT
- The UN formally takes over peacekeeping operations in Central African Republic, where about 25% of the population has fled their homes.
- Afghan rape death sentences upheld Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:39:09 GMT
- An Afghan court upholds the death sentences for five men convicted of gang raping four women, in a case which has sparked national outrage.
- Sweden victor vows no far-right pact Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:42:29 GMT
- Swedish Social Democrat leader Stefan Lofven says he is ready to start coalition talks after winning elections, but will not work with the far right.
- Team's 'naked' kit 'unacceptable' Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:40:00 GMT
- A Colombian team is warned by cycling chiefs after their unusual kit made the female riders look naked.
- Egypt activist to be freed on bail Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:13:56 GMT
- An Egyptian court orders the release on bail of one of the country's most prominent pro-democracy activists, Alaa Abdul Fattah.
- Top US honour for Vietnam soldiers Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:23:41 GMT
- US President Barack Obama awards the nation's top military award to two soldiers for acts of bravery during the Vietnam War.
- Passport delay victims 'need refund' Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:01:07 GMT
- Passport applicants who paid £30 extra to avoid missing travel because of processing delays should get refunds, MPs say.
- Stephen's £5m to fund cancer units Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:09:15 GMT
- Plans for spending almost £5m raised by teenage cancer sufferer Stephen Sutton are revealed.
- Freed prisoners 'lack home and job' Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:32:46 GMT
- Only one in six of prisoners in England and Wales have somewhere to live and a job or training placement when they are freed, inspectors suggest.