"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Mackay faces fresh text allegations Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:15:35 GMT
- Ex-Cardiff boss Malky Mackay faces fresh allegations about text messages he is claimed to have shared with Iain Moody.
- Secret recordings of a president's daughter Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:09:19 GMT
- In new recordings, Gulnara Karimova, the daughter of Uzbekistan's president, says that she and her daughter are in desperate need of help.
- VIDEO: The last prisoner on Big Island Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:04:12 GMT
- Julio de Almeida, 83, is the last prisoner on Big Island, Ilha Grande, off the coast of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
- Woman 'saw Congo colonel order rape' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:09:42 GMT
- A woman who was gang-raped and burned in her house tells a DR Congo war crimes trial she saw an army colonel give the orders.
- US anger at China 'air interception' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:05:54 GMT
- A Chinese fighter came perilously close to a US military patrol plane over international waters east of China's Hainan Island, the Pentagon says.
- German policeman in 'cannibal' trial Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:43:57 GMT
- A policeman goes on trial in Germany accused of murdering a businessman who allegedly shared a cannibalism fetish.
- Colombia military meet Farc rebels Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:58:18 GMT
- Members of Colombia's armed forces meet Farc rebel leaders for the first time at Havana peace talks, to discuss ways of implementing a ceasefire.
- Abbas and Egypt urge new Gaza talks Sat, 23 Aug 2014 14:47:13 GMT
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas joins Egypt to call on Israel and Hamas to launch fresh talks in Cairo, days after a previous truce collapsed.
- IS militants 'biggest threat' to US Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:59:48 GMT
- Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq are the most dangerous threat the US has faced in recent years, senior American officials warn.
- Men remanded after container death Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:46:40 GMT
- Two lorry drivers from Northern Ireland are remanded in custody following the death of an Afghan migrant found in a container at Tilbury docks in Essex.
- Hospitals told to cut parking charges Sat, 23 Aug 2014 13:56:47 GMT
- Hospitals in England are told to cut the cost of parking for certain groups under new government guidelines.
- BT warns of rise in phone bills Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:27:40 GMT
- BT warns millions of customers it is increasing prices by up to 6.5% from December this year.
- Warning over black market cigarettes Sat, 23 Aug 2014 00:00:22 GMT
- Attempts to cut the amount people smoke are being hit by a black market trade in millions of illegal cigarettes, council bosses warn.
- Day in pictures: 14 August 2014 Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:59:59 GMT
- 24 hours of news photos: 14 August
- In pictures: Lauren Bacall Wed, 13 Aug 2014 01:43:54 GMT
- Life and career of US actress Lauren Bacall