"If I ever do a book on the Amazon, I hope I am able to bring a certain lightheartedness to the subject, in a way that will tell the reader we are going to have fun with this thing."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- US gas leaks not caused by fracking Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:16:30 GMT
- A new study suggests that the contamination of drinking water by shale gas is due to faulty wells and not hydraulic fracturing.
- Call for further cut in sugar intake Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:36:50 GMT
- The target to reduce sugar consumption should be much more ambitious, health experts say.
- Brains may 'resist Alzheimer's' Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:15:55 GMT
- A small study suggests some people's brains may have the ability to resist early Alzheimer's damage.
- Gerrard 'craves' Champions League Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:25:15 GMT
- Steven Gerrard has been "almost jealous" after watching rivals in the Champions League during Liverpool's five-year absence.
- Peterson set to return for Vikings Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:10:48 GMT
- Minnesota Vikings reinstate Adrian Peterson despite the running back facing charges of allegedly hitting his child.
- The photographer who rejected racism Sun, 14 Sep 2014 23:31:12 GMT
- Hugh Mangum, a photographer from North Carolina, defied racial segregation in the early 1900s and opened up his studio to people from all walks of life
- The memory of hell among the sunflowers Sat, 13 Sep 2014 23:43:59 GMT
- When Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crashed in Ukraine, rescue workers, local residents and journalists rushed to the site - what they saw had a deep and lasting impact.
- UN takes over CAR peace mission Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:34:09 GMT
- The UN formally takes over peacekeeping operations in Central African Republic, where about 25% of the population has fled their homes.
- 'Number of suspects' in Thai deaths Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:21:21 GMT
- Police investigating the deaths of two Britons in Thailand say they are looking for a number of suspects - but rule out other British tourists.
- French PM faces confidence vote Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:19:35 GMT
- Prime Minister Manuel Valls will try to persuade France's National Assembly to back his deeply unpopular government, in a key vote of confidence.
- Hurricane Odile stuns Mexico resorts Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:32:44 GMT
- Hurricane Odile causes devastation in the beach resorts of Mexico's Baja California peninsula, triggering looting in some areas.
- Migrant boat sinking 'kills 500' Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:45:28 GMT
- About 500 migrants drowned after their ship was rammed by another boat near Malta last week, the International Organization for Migration says.
- Top US honour for Vietnam soldiers Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:23:41 GMT
- US President Barack Obama awards the nation's top military award to two soldiers for acts of bravery during the Vietnam War.
- S Yorkshire PCC Wright steps down Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:25:31 GMT
- South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner Shaun Wright resigns over the Rotherham child abuse scandal.
- Passport delay victims 'need refund' Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:01:07 GMT
- Passport applicants who paid £30 extra to avoid missing travel because of processing delays should get refunds, MPs say.