"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the sense shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourse of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness."
—Helen Adams Keller (1880-1968) American memoirist, lecturer
- Suspects deny 'sextorting' teenager Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:59:53 GMT
- The BBC goes to the Philippines to investigate a rise in blackmail of people duped into taking part in explicit online chats and videos.
- Apple 'deeply offended' by BBC story Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:05:38 GMT
- Apple has said it is "deeply offended" by a BBC investigation into conditions for workers involved in manufacturing its devices.
- Photographer Jane Bown dies aged 89 Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:40:27 GMT
- Photographer Jane Bown, known for her portraits of the Queen, the Beatles and Samuel Beckett among many others, dies aged 89.
- Lord Sugar names his tenth Apprentice Sun, 21 Dec 2014 22:01:20 GMT
- Amstrad founder Lord Sugar names Australian businessman Mark Wright as his latest business partner, at the climax of BBC One's The Apprentice.
- Antarctic science archive unlocked Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:19:32 GMT
- Aerial photographs from the 1940s and 1950s are being used to probe the climate history of the Antarctic Peninsula.
- LA River's flood role is 'paramount' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:27:39 GMT
- Any moves to modify the concrete Los Angeles River, to return parts of it to a more natural setting or to capture water, must not compromise its flood-protection function, say scientists.
- Asthma inhalers 'not used properly' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:00:55 GMT
- Charities warn patients are not being taught how to use potentially life-saving asthma inhalers and allergy auto-injectors correctly.
- Stem cell scandal scientist resigns Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:27:15 GMT
- A Japanese stem cell scientist at the heart of a scandal over false claims and fabricated research has resigned.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:34:55 GMT
- Martin Skrtel's header seven minutes into stoppage time earns Liverpool a draw against Arsenal in the Premier League.
- McCoist leaves Rangers manager post Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:25:44 GMT
- Ally McCoist leaves his position as Rangers manager and is put on gardening leave, with Kenny McDowall taking charge.
- How 12 days of Christmas have become 12 pubs Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:19:56 GMT
- Dublin's pubs are experiencing a new phenomenon - the 12 days of Christmas have turned into the 12 pubs of Christmas... visited all in one night.
- Teaching winter to new US refugees Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:07:55 GMT
- Thousands of refugees arrive in the US each year, and those who end up in chilly Minnesota have to learn about what to expect for their first winter.
- Kazakh villages in guard wolf craze Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:49:32 GMT
- Villagers in Kazakhstan are increasingly buying wolves to guard their land.
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Liberia vote count in Ebola-hit poll Sun, 21 Dec 2014 15:01:21 GMT
- Votes are being counted in Liberia's senate election held on Saturday despite a deadly Ebola outbreak, but many people decided to stay away.