"A book is a story for the mind. A song is a story for the soul."
—Eric Pio American poet
- Beached whales dead in Florida Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:14:57 GMT
- Ten whales die and as many as 30 more are stranded after a pod beached off Florida's Everglades National Park.
- TB vaccine 'could help prevent MS' Thu, 05 Dec 2013 01:00:19 GMT
- An anti-tuberculosis vaccine could prevent multiple sclerosis, early research suggests.
- 'Let me keep my dead husband's sperm' Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:46:48 GMT
- A 28-year-old woman has begun a legal bid to prevent her dead husband's frozen sperm from being destroyed.
- England fight back against Australia Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:13:51 GMT
- England fight back in Adelaide after an ominous Australian start as the first day of the second Test ends with the hosts on 273-5.
- Fifa asks World Cup protesters for calm Thu, 05 Dec 2013 06:17:22 GMT
- Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke appeals to dissenting Brazilians to get behind next summer's World Cup.
- What would the union jack look like if the Scottish bit were removed? Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:47:56 GMT
- An association of flag experts, or vexillologists, has created a set of designs it hopes will encourage a discussion, writes Sam Judah.
- What is 'highway hypnosis'? Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:47:54 GMT
- A train driver says he was experiencing "highway hypnosis" just prior to the derailment in which four people were killed last week in New York. So what is it?
- Thousands of Eritreans 'abducted' Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:10:50 GMT
- Up to 30,000 Eritreans have been abducted since 2007 and taken to Egypt's Sinai to suffer torture and ransom demands, new research says.
- India 'man-eating' tiger captured Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:20:45 GMT
- A tiger that is believed to have killed three villagers in the past week in the southern Indian state of Karnataka is finally caught, a senior official says.
- Storm brings wind and rail shutdown Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:31:25 GMT
- There is severe travel disruption in Scotland as high winds hit the UK, with flooding predicted for eastern England later.
- Argentine police secure pay rise Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:45:02 GMT
- Police officers in the Argentine province of Cordoba get a pay increase after residents take advantage of officers being on strike to loot shops.
- Shot Hezbollah commander buried Wed, 04 Dec 2013 17:54:23 GMT
- Crowds of mourners in Lebanon turn out to bury Hassan Lakkis, a commander in the Shia militant group Hezbollah, killed at close range on Tuesday.
- Not guilty plea in US teacher murder Thu, 05 Dec 2013 01:42:11 GMT
- A student in the US state of Massachusetts who is accused of killing his maths teacher pleads not guilty to murder, rape and robbery.
- Car tax disc scrapped after 93 years Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:40:14 GMT
- The paper disc that people have had to display in their cars to show they have paid vehicle excise duty is to be replaced by an electronic system.
- Universal Credit 2017 deadline slips Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:39:53 GMT
- Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith tells the BBC that the Universal Credit programme may not be complete by 2017 as planned.