"No two persons ever read the same book."
—Edmund Wilson (1895-1972) American literary critic, Axel's Castle, Patriotic Gore
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- England 29-18 Wales Sun, 09 Mar 2014 17:19:10 GMT
- England beat Wales 29-18 at Twickenham to win a first Triple Crown in 11 years, ensuring they remain in contention for the Six Nations title.
- Sniffing out cancer with electronic noses Sun, 09 Mar 2014 02:47:26 GMT
- Devices that can smell cancer are near to be used in hospitals - and before long we may be able to get a preliminary diagnosis by breathing on our mobile phones.
- Russian baddies are back Sat, 08 Mar 2014 01:08:54 GMT
- From the 1930s to present day, Russians have been portrayed as murderous thugs on the big and small screen in the West.
- Libya threatens to bomb oil tanker Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:39:35 GMT
- Libya's Prime Minister Ali Zeidan threatens to bomb a North Korean-flagged tanker if it tries to export oil from a rebel-controlled port.
- North Koreans vote in elections Sun, 09 Mar 2014 22:31:26 GMT
- North Koreans have been electing new members of the country's rubber-stamp parliament, with only one candidate standing in each district.
- Sarkozy phone 'tapped by judges' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:59:19 GMT
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has had his phone tapped on the orders of judges investigating alleged campaign donations from Libya, it is claimed.
- Mexico kills 'long-dead' drug lord Mon, 10 Mar 2014 03:22:11 GMT
- Officials in Michoacan, Mexico say that they have shot dead drug lord Nazario Moreno - The Craziest One - who was reported killed in 2010.
- Beirut rally against domestic abuse Sun, 09 Mar 2014 00:54:43 GMT
- Thousands of people have marched through the streets of the Lebanese capital, Beirut, to demand politicians pass a law against domestic violence.
- US general faces assault accuser Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:49:26 GMT
- A US Army captain weeps as she tells a court that a general made her perform oral sex on him and threatened to kill her family if she told anyone.
- Labour extends jobs guarantee pledge Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:01:16 GMT
- Labour commits to fund a "jobs guarantee" for the long-term unemployed for the whole of the next parliament, if it wins power.
- Economy 'to hit 2008 peak by summer' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:00:24 GMT
- The size of the UK's overall economy will surpass its pre-recession peak by this summer, says the British Chambers of Commerce.
- National lung transplant list urged Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:01:27 GMT
- Lung disease experts are calling for a new national system to identify lungs for transplant which could double the number of procedures across the UK.