"I can tell you, honest friend, what to believe: believe life; it teaches better than book or orator."
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German writer, scientist, master of poetry, drama and novel
- Ebola vaccine to be tested in UK Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:18:24 GMT
- A trial vaccine against Ebola could be tested on healthy volunteers in the UK in September, says an international health consortium.
- NHS complaints rise to 480 every day Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:38:05 GMT
- The number of complaints made about NHS care in England increased to an average of 480 every day, according to official data.
- Depression in cancer 'overlooked' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:36:20 GMT
- Three-quarters of cancer patients who are depressed are not getting the psychological therapy they need, researchers say.
- Rooney named new England captain Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:18:17 GMT
- Wayne Rooney is named England captain by manager Roy Hodgson, who also calls up four uncapped players to his squad.
- Hamilton & Rosberg not a team - Webber Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:37:01 GMT
- Former F1 driver Mark Webber questions whether Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg can stay at Mercedes together next year.
- The parenting lessons to be taken from movies Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:10:16 GMT
- It is 50 years since Mary Poppins appeared on cinema screens.
- The etiquette of reclining seats on flights Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:11:32 GMT
- When is it acceptable to lean back at 30,000ft, asks Jon Kelly.
- 'Baby-trafficking' speaker flees Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:53:16 GMT
- The speaker of Niger's parliament flees the country after a parliamentary committee agreed he could be arrested over a baby-trafficking scandal.
- India launches bank accounts for all Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:48:30 GMT
- Indian PM Narendra Modi launches a plan to provide a bank account for every household, in a landmark initiative to help the poor.
- EU widens aid to dairy exporters Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:46:22 GMT
- The EU announces emergency help for dairy producers hit by the Russian ban on food imports from the EU.
- Strike disrupts Argentine capital Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:24:11 GMT
- Sections of Argentina's General Confederation of Labour are holding a 36-hour strike, which has caused disruption in the capital Buenos Aires.
- Netanyahu declares 'victory' in Gaza Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:29:17 GMT
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the seven-week conflict in Gaza ended in "victory", a day after a ceasefire came into effect.
- US hostage mother makes video plea Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:45:03 GMT
- The mother of US journalist Steven Sotloff, held hostage by IS militants, pleads with his captors to release him in a video appeal.
- Tory MP Carswell switches to UKIP Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:24:36 GMT
- Tory MP Douglas Carswell has defected to the UK Independence Party - and says he will seek re-election in Clacton at a by-election.
- 'Significant' rise in migration to UK Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:41:06 GMT
- There has been a "statistically significant" increase in net migration into the UK - which reached 243,000 in the year up to March, figures show.