"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
—Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC) Roman statesman, orator, philosopher
- Rail upgrade 'raises hack risks' Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:35:30 GMT
- A government adviser warns that a new hi-tech rail signalling system could be hacked by terrorists to cause train crashes.
- Fellowes to adapt Trollope novel Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:31:28 GMT
- Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes is to adapt Anthony Trollope's Doctor Thorne - one of his favourite novels - for TV.
- Bruce Jenner: I am a woman Sat, 25 Apr 2015 08:53:34 GMT
- The reality TV star and Olympic gold medallist says he still has male body parts but considers himself female.
- Nepal quake 'followed historic pattern' Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:14:56 GMT
- Nepal's devastating magnitude-7.8 earthquake on Saturday was primed over 80 years ago by its last massive earthquake in 1934, geologists working in the region say.
- Hidden lives of Chernobyl's wildlife Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:05:09 GMT
- Scientists' camera traps offer a snapshot into the secret lives of wildlife inside the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
- Mitochondria editing tried in mice Sun, 26 Apr 2015 02:47:59 GMT
- Researchers develop a technique to edit out bits of mitochondrial DNA that could otherwise pass on incurable diseases, a study in mice shows.
- Hope over child malaria vaccine tests Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:01:19 GMT
- Final clinical trials of a malaria vaccine - the first to reach this stage - suggest it could protect one third of children against malaria, according to data published in The Lancet.
- Mourinho hits back at 'boring' jibes Sun, 26 Apr 2015 19:32:18 GMT
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says his team are not boring but suggests Arsenal are after failing to win the league title since 2003-04.
- Hazard named Player of the Year Sun, 26 Apr 2015 22:21:00 GMT
- Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard wins the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award.
- The photographer who captures the horrors of the Mediterranean Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:22:39 GMT
- Photographer Juan Medina explains why he has spent the past 20 years following the stories of migrants trying to reach Europe by sea.
- The woman who adopts dead babies Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:20:15 GMT
- Twelve years ago a dead baby was found at Bernarda Gallardo's local rubbish dump - the only way she could give it a proper funeral was to adopt it.
- PM's 'brain fade' over football team Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:44:38 GMT
- David Cameron comes under fire from Twitter users after saying in a speech that he supported West Ham - when he is an Aston Villa fan.
- VIDEO: Couple plan to be oldest newlyweds Sat, 25 Apr 2015 06:47:09 GMT
- Two elderly lovebirds from East Sussex are set to become the world's oldest newlyweds when they tie the knot in June.
- Al-Shabab kills man for blasphemy Fri, 24 Apr 2015 18:11:45 GMT
- The Somali Islamist movement al-Shabab has killed a man for "insulting the prophet Muhammed", witnesses tell the BBC.
- Kazakh leader heads for big vote win Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:19:32 GMT
- Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev is on course for a crushing election victory, with exit polls showing him with 97.5% of the vote.