"To my daughter Leonora without whose never failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been completed in half the time."
—P. G. Wodehouse
- UK team to shoot for fusion record Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:38:27 GMT
- The director of a UK science facility says it could set a new world record in nuclear fusion by the end of the decade.
- Human skin grown in laboratory Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:37:39 GMT
- Skin grown in the laboratory could replace animals in drug and cosmetics testing, according to UK scientists.
- Binge drinking 'link to overeating' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:21:17 GMT
- Drinking more than three large glasses of wine can push people over a "tipping point", meaning they consume about 6,300 extra calories in the following 24 hours, research says.
- Ramires to miss rest of league season Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:16:55 GMT
- Chelsea midfielder Ramires will miss the rest of the Premier League season after accepting an FA charge of violent conduct.
- Why Palestinians love St George Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:14:26 GMT
- As England celebrates the day of its patron saint, many Palestinians are gearing up for their own celebrations of this shared hero.
- The man who takes troubled youths to therapy camp Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:06:17 GMT
- As more and more families send their drug and alcohol-addicted kids to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US, more and more become acquainted with the shadowy figure known as the "escort."
- Kenyan officials wrangle over status Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:57:24 GMT
- Kenyan MPs propose making it a criminal offence to address an official incorrectly, the latest move in a status struggle with newly created governors.
- China releases Japanese cargo ship Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:33:01 GMT
- China has released a Japanese cargo ship it seized over a war-time debt, a court statement says, after the Japanese firm paid compensation.
- Match-fixer arrested in Finland Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:05:59 GMT
- Convicted football match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal is being held by Finnish police on an international arrest warrant, officials say.
- Rio police 'to probe' dancer's death Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:08:47 GMT
- Police in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro say they will conduct a thorough investigation into the death of a dancer which sparked riots.
- Iran replaces prison service chief Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:45:59 GMT
- The head of Iran's prison service is replaced following allegations that political prisoners were beaten by guards at Tehran's Evin jail last week.
- US seeks e-cigarette restrictions Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:51:11 GMT
- The US Food and Drug Administration is seeking minimum age restrictions and warnings on e-cigarettes because of uncertainties over their impact on health.
- Mother charged with three murders Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:12:37 GMT
- A mother is charged with murdering three of her children who were found dead at their home in south-west London.
- Police make Syria plea to UK women Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:08:04 GMT
- British counter-terrorism police chiefs make an unprecedented appeal to Muslim women to persuade their relatives against travelling to Syria to fight in the civil war.
- Crime falls 15% in England and Wales Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:30:39 GMT
- Overall crime in England and Wales falls by 15% in 2013, an official survey shows - but there are signs, according to police figures, of rises in certain categories.