"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- Indian economic growth slows to 5.3% Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:47:14 GMT
- The Indian economy grew at an annual pace of 5.3% in the three months to the end of September, down from 5.7% in the previous quarter.
- Eurozone inflation rate falls to 0.3% Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:56:33 GMT
- The eurozone inflation rate falls to 0.3%, suggesting that deflation remains a threat for the 18-nation bloc.
- Social media told to simplify terms Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:04:27 GMT
- A report from the UK parliament says Facebook, Twitter and other social networking firms need to make their terms and conditions clearer.
- Emergency repairs for cracked phones Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:58:30 GMT
- A broken screen on a smartphone might not seem like one of the most pressing problems - but firms are now offering a very quick fix.
- Star Wars trailer set to be unveiled Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:44:17 GMT
- The first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set to be unveiled later.
- Film studio boss Yablans dies at 79 Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:59:50 GMT
- Frank Yablans, who ran Hollywood's Paramount film studio in the 1970s, dies at the age of 79.
- Risk from extreme weather rises Thu, 27 Nov 2014 01:42:30 GMT
- Royal Society says combination of population growth and climate change will increase danger to cities.
- Bear back in Chernobyl after century Fri, 28 Nov 2014 01:23:32 GMT
- Camera traps, used by a project assessing radioactive exposure impacts on wildlife, record the first photos of a brown bear in Chernobyl's exclusion zone.
- Hollande to visit Ebola-hit Guinea Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:50:38 GMT
- French President Francois Hollande is to arrive in Guinea, the first Western leader to visit a nation hit hard by the deadly Ebola virus.
- 'Exciting' bladder cancer drug trial Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:25:43 GMT
- A trial to help the immune system fight bladder cancer is showing "exciting" results with tumours completely disappearing in some patients.
- Abbott 'holding up' after Hughes death Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:53:28 GMT
- Bowler Sean Abbott is 'holding up well' after batsman Phillip Hughes's death, despite fears he may not play cricket again.
- 'Weeping' Australia mourns Hughes Fri, 28 Nov 2014 03:35:31 GMT
- Australia is "weeping" at the death of cricketer Phillip Hughes, says former opening batsman Michael Slater - as the country mourns.
- How I drank urine and bat blood to survive Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:04:25 GMT
- Extreme marathon runner Mauro Prosperi spent 10 days alone in the Sahara desert after getting lost in a sandstorm. He only just survived.
- Left to the mercy of the Taliban Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:10:39 GMT
- Interpreters who worked with US forces in Afghanistan are being hunted down by the Taliban. Thousands have fled to the US - but others have been blacklisted.
- Canberra Christmas lights set record Fri, 28 Nov 2014 04:42:39 GMT
- A Christmas display of more than 1.2 million LED lights in the Australian capital, Canberra, has set a new world record.