"There are times when I think that the ideal library is composed solely of reference books. They are like understanding friends--always ready to meet your mood, always ready to change the subject when you have had enough of this or that."
—Donald J. Adams (b. 1924) [Maxwell Smart] American actor
- Panama opens biodiversity museum Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:34:43 GMT
- Panama inaugurates a museum designed by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry to celebrate one of the world's richest eco-systems.
- Children hit by tooth decay at three Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:28:02 GMT
- More than one in 10 three-year-olds have tooth decay, the first survey of the age group shows.
- Antibiotic 'link to child obesity' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:02:29 GMT
- A large American study suggests young children who are given repeated courses of antibiotics are more likely than those given fewer drugs to be obese.
- Manchester City 1-1 Roma Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:19:25 GMT
- Manchester City are still without a win in Champions League Group E after Francesco Totti's goal gives Roma a 1-1 draw.
- Phelps 'arrested for drink driving' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:09:54 GMT
- US Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps has been arrested for driving under the influence, police in Baltimore say.
- Almaz's story Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:03:29 GMT
- When a young Ethiopian woman went to Saudi Arabia to work as a maid her new employers treated her like a slave.
- Why 'boots on the ground'? Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:01:03 GMT
- The expression "boots on the ground" may not have been used until about 1980.
- Nigeria and Senegal 'contain' Ebola Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:38:19 GMT
- Ebola outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal appear to have been contained, US health authorities say, with no new cases there since August.
- Obama and Modi call for 'new agenda' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:45:22 GMT
- Indian PM Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama call for a "new agenda" between their countries during Mr Modi's two-day visit to the US.
- Catalans rally for independence vote Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:25:26 GMT
- Thousands of pro-independence campaigners take to the streets of Barcelona after the Catalan government says it remains "determined" to hold the vote.
- Argentina defies US over debt payment Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:57:59 GMT
- Argentina deposits $161m in bond interest payments with the state-controlled Nacion Fideicomisos bank, in an effort to skirt US court rulings.
- Iran 'postpones' woman's execution Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:53:37 GMT
- Iran is reported to have postponed the execution of Reyhaneh Jabbari, convicted of killing a man she said was trying to sexually abuse her.
- Man charged over Oklahoma beheading Wed, 01 Oct 2014 00:31:07 GMT
- An Oklahoma man accused of beheading a female colleague after being fired from his job has been charged with first-degree murder.
- Body find sparks Alice murder probe Wed, 01 Oct 2014 08:09:34 GMT
- The disappearance of teenager Alice Gross is now being treated as a murder inquiry after a "significantly concealed" body is found.
- Cameron vow to protect NHS spending Wed, 01 Oct 2014 08:19:37 GMT
- David Cameron will vow to protect the NHS in England from cuts for five years in his closing speech to the Tory conference.