"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
—Erich Fromm (1900-80) German-born American psychoanalyst, emphasized role of social conditioning
- Profile: Sinai Province militant group Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:23:36 GMT
- Sinai Province is a militant group that has pledged allegiance to Islamic State and carried out a string of deadly attacks in Egypt's Sinai peninsula.
- Sears in 'Explicit Content' T-shirt Sun, 01 Feb 2015 11:19:47 GMT
- Andy Murray's fiancee Kim Sears makes light of her outburst by wearing a cheeky T-shirt at the Australian Open final.
- Balloonists complete Pacific journey Sun, 01 Feb 2015 01:37:37 GMT
- Two pilots in a helium balloon complete their Pacific crossing with a sea-landing off Mexico, setting two new milestones on a six-day trip.
- Oil summit to hear pleas for action Sun, 01 Feb 2015 00:20:25 GMT
- An oil industry body is to call for "meaningful action" from government at a summit to help tackle challenges facing North Sea operators.
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:41:51 GMT
- The latest international business headlines from BBC World News.
- Nokia name row with London start-up Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:59:13 GMT
- Nokia has threatened legal action against a UK start-up over the use of the word "HERE".
- Whitney daughter's condition unknown Sun, 01 Feb 2015 15:54:23 GMT
- Bobbi Kristina Brown, daughter of late US singer Whitney Houston, is in hospital in an unknown condition after being found unresponsive in a bath.
- Suge Knight held over LA death Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:43:21 GMT
- Death Row Records founder Suge Knight is being held on a murder charge by police after a fatal hit-and-run incident in Los Angeles.
- Controllers banking on Philae wake-up Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:28:09 GMT
- The European Space Agency says it will conduct no more dedicated searches for its lost comet lander, and will now wait for the probe itself to call home.
- Study fells cosmic inflation claim Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:54:50 GMT
- Scientists who claimed to have found direct evidence for a cosmic super-expansion at the Big Bang made no such discovery, a soon-to-be published study will say.
- Child obesity rates 'levelling off' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:04:14 GMT
- The rise in childhood obesity, which has left one in three children overweight, may be beginning to level off in the under-10s, a study suggests.
- Bedtime 'has huge impact on sport' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 05:28:20 GMT
- Our internal body clock has such a dramatic impact on sporting ability that it could alter the chances of Olympic gold.
- Ivory Coast 3-1 Algeria Sun, 01 Feb 2015 21:52:11 GMT
- New Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony scores twice to take Ivory Coast into the Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals.
- Murray 'melted down' in final - Cash Sun, 01 Feb 2015 15:31:30 GMT
- Andy Murray needs "a good, hard look in the mirror" after his Australian Open final defeat, says former finalist Pat Cash.