"For me it is sufficient to have a corner by my hearth, a book and a friend, and a nap undisturbed by creditors or grief."
—Fernandez de Andrada
- Doors co-founder Ray Manzarek dies Tue, 21 May 2013 09:28:37 GMT
- Ray Manzarek, keyboard player and founder member of the 1960s rock band The Doors, dies aged 74 in Germany after a long battle with cancer.
- Ant abilities could aid robot design Tue, 21 May 2013 06:49:23 GMT
- A study showing how ants tunnel their way through confined spaces could aid the design of search and rescue robots, say scientists.
- Vaccine developed for farm disease Mon, 20 May 2013 23:08:26 GMT
- A vaccine to protect sheep and cattle from a livestock virus spread by midges has been approved by government vets.
- Sunshine vitamin 'may treat asthma' Mon, 20 May 2013 00:39:04 GMT
- The amount of time asthma patients spend soaking up the sun may have an impact on their health, researchers have suggested.
- NHS urged to improve use of drips Mon, 20 May 2013 23:57:44 GMT
- The lives of hospital patients who are put on a drip are being placed at risk by poor attention by staff to intravenous fluid care, experts warn.
- Pulis set to leave Stoke City Tue, 21 May 2013 14:28:28 GMT
- Tony Pulis is set to leave as manager of Stoke City following talks with chairman Peter Coates on Tuesday.
- Anchoring of putters to be banned Tue, 21 May 2013 12:12:34 GMT
- Golf's ruling bodies announce that anchoring of putters will be banned from competition from January 2016.
- Do white South Africans have a future? Sun, 19 May 2013 23:54:51 GMT
- World Affairs Editor John Simpson examines the growing crisis faced by South Africa's white communities.
- Keeping alive Gaza's culinary traditions Mon, 20 May 2013 00:06:58 GMT
- Despite food shortages and power cuts, people in Gaza are fighting to preserve their distinct cuisine, as Yolande Knell reports.
- Algeria's Bouteflika 'improving' Tue, 21 May 2013 12:11:24 GMT
- Algeria's prime minister denies rumours that President Abdelaziz Bouteflika is seriously ill, saying he is "improving every day" in Paris after suffering a mini-stroke in April.
- North Koreans free Chinese crew Tue, 21 May 2013 04:00:02 GMT
- A Chinese fishing crew seized by unidentified North Koreans two weeks ago is freed along with their boat, reports say.
- EU bathing water 2012 data released Tue, 21 May 2013 10:31:28 GMT
- The latest data on EU bathing water quality is released, showing that 93% of more than 22,000 sampled locations meet the minimum standards.
- Bolivia law backs Morales third term Tue, 21 May 2013 02:00:49 GMT
- Bolivia passes a law which could allow President Evo Morales to be elected for a third time, despite claims that it is unconstitutional.
- Fresh bombings in Iraq 'kill 13' Tue, 21 May 2013 09:13:08 GMT
- At least 13 people are killed in new bomb attacks in Iraq, a day after a wave of bombings across the country left at least 70 people dead.
- Obama aides 'knew of IRS inquiry' Tue, 21 May 2013 01:25:28 GMT
- Senior White House aides were informed last month of an inquiry into the US tax agency's targeting of conservative political groups, an official says.