"Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good plays, good company, good conversation -- what are they? They are the happiest people in the world."
—William Lyon Phelps
- Curtain falls on Kate Bush comeback Thu, 02 Oct 2014 10:43:31 GMT
- Singer Kate Bush performs the last of a series of 22 comeback concerts in London, suggesting it will be "a while" before she appears on stage again.
- Sharks can be 'social or solitary' Thu, 02 Oct 2014 03:17:59 GMT
- A UK study finds that the most feared predators in the sea have individual personalities, which determine how readily they socialise.
- Moon's hidden valley system revealed Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:44:28 GMT
- Scientists identify a huge rectangular feature on the Moon that is probably the buried remains of an ancient rift valley system.
- Smell test 'may predict lifespan' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:48:37 GMT
- US researchers say a simple smell test could help predict how likely someone is to be alive in five years' time.
- Cancer gene test 'would save lives' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:04:36 GMT
- Younger bowel cancer patients should be offered a genetic test to screen for a rare condition linked to a higher risk of cancer, say UK researchers.
- Clyne & Shelvey win England call-ups Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:14:48 GMT
- Southampton defender Nathaniel Clyne and Swansea City midfielder Jonjo Shelvey are called up to the England squad.
- Typhoon 'threatens Japanese GP' Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:02:01 GMT
- The Japanese GP could be called off if Typhoon Phanfone hits Japan on Sunday, says Force India driver Sergio Perez.
- How Bosnia is helping Cyprus find peace Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:07:53 GMT
- In the 1960s and 1970s, hundreds of Cypriots disappeared. Now, with the help of a laboratory in Bosnia, there is a renewed effort to find out what happened to them.
- Why Japan's sunny beaches are deserted Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:35:44 GMT
- For much of September, Tokyo basked in temperatures of 25C or more. In most countries there would be a rush for the beach, but not in Japan.
- Grace Mugabe 'should hand back PhD' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:52:22 GMT
- Award-winning Zimbabwean writer Chenjerai Hove calls on Zimbabwe's first lady Grace Mugabe to hand back her PhD as students demand an investigation.
- Taliban kill three in Kabul attack Thu, 02 Oct 2014 05:04:36 GMT
- At least three people are killed when a Taliban suicide bomber attacks an Afghan army bus in Kabul, the fourth such attack since Monday.
- Lithuania accuses Russia over boat Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:15:17 GMT
- Russia is accused by Lithuania of violating international maritime laws after seizing a Lithuanian fishing boat with a crew of 30.
- Mexico arrests drug syndicate leader Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:31:16 GMT
- The Mexican authorities say they have captured the head of a notorious drug crime syndicate, Hector Beltran Leyva.
- Top Bahrain rights activist arrested Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:45:17 GMT
- Leading Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab is arrested over Twitter remarks deemed "denigrating" to government institutions.
- Texas children 'monitored for Ebola' Thu, 02 Oct 2014 00:24:50 GMT
- Five children in Texas who came into contact with the Liberian man infected with Ebola are being monitored at home.