"Under any conditions, anywhere, whatever you are doing, there is some ordinance under which you can be booked."
—Robert D. Sprecht
- Vitamin D's disease role queried Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:40:35 GMT
- Scientists have cast doubt on the value of vitamin D supplements to protect against diseases like cancers and diabetes.
- Sporting icons pay tribute to Mandela Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:42:59 GMT
- Muhammad Ali and Pele lead tributes to South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95.
- Clarke world's best batsman - Haddin Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:47:26 GMT
- Michael Clarke's latest Ashes ton underlines his status as the world's best, says Australia team-mate Brad Haddin.
- 25 readers' designs for a new union jack Fri, 06 Dec 2013 02:23:19 GMT
- After our piece on possible alternatives to the union jack, many readers decided to design their own.
- What would you ask a room of Nobel prizewinners? Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:12:16 GMT
- Send in the questions you would like to put to this year's Nobel prize winners.
- France takes military action in CAR Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:25:37 GMT
- A French-led military operation to protect civilians in the Central African Republic is being launched "immediately", as scores die in fresh sectarian fighting.
- Qantas credit rating cut to 'junk' Fri, 06 Dec 2013 06:29:49 GMT
- Australian airline Qantas sees its credit rating downgraded to below-investment level, or junk, by the ratings agency Standard & Poor's.
- Russia and Ukraine seek partnership Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:01:38 GMT
- Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych and Russia's Vladimir Putin hold surprise talks on a "strategic partnership treaty" a week after Ukraine shelved a key deal with the EU.
- Mexico radioactive material found Thu, 05 Dec 2013 04:53:03 GMT
- Stolen radioactive material, cobalt-60, is found in Mexico, but officials warn the thieves may have been exposed to deadly radiation levels.
- US teacher shot dead in Libya Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:43:29 GMT
- An American teacher is gunned down by unknown assailants while jogging in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi, local officials say.
- US fast-food workers in strike Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:19:52 GMT
- Fast-food workers in several cities across the US stage a 24-hour strike in protest against low wages.
- Tidal surge hits UK coastal towns Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:55:54 GMT
- Severe weather is affecting Britain, with thousands evacuated due to a tidal surge along the east coast and snow alerts in place in Scotland.
- Queen leads Nelson Mandela tributes Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:06:48 GMT
- The Queen says she is "deeply saddened" to learn of Nelson Mandela's death and his legacy is a peaceful South Africa.
- Marine jailed for Afghan murder Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:00:31 GMT
- Royal Marine Sergeant Alexander Blackman sentenced to life by court martial for murdering insurgent in Afghanistan.
- E.On to raise energy prices by 3.7% Fri, 06 Dec 2013 13:46:50 GMT
- UK energy supplier E.On announces average dual fuel bill increase of 3.7% from January 2014