"Liesure without books is death, and burial of a man alive."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- Woman denied $41.8m jackpot payout Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:59:35 GMT
- A 90-year-old woman is denied a $41.8m (£27.6m) penny slot machine bonus after the casino blames it on a computer error.
- Oil price hovers at four-month high Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:40:01 GMT
- Oil price hovers at a four-and-a-half month high amid concerns over disruption to supplies from the Middle East.
- Chinese probe Sinopec president Wang Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:23:07 GMT
- A senior executive at state energy firm China Sinopec Group is under investigation for suspected "serious disciplinary violations".
- Smartphones pack huge batteries Mon, 27 Apr 2015 13:20:59 GMT
- New smartphones from Lenovo and Acer feature much bigger batteries than is the norm for a handset.
- Valve boss responds on 'mod' row Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:22:08 GMT
- Valve boss Gabe Newell has defended the company's decision to let developers of some game modifications or 'mods' charge for their creations.
- Rediscovered Bacon portraits unveiled Mon, 27 Apr 2015 02:11:17 GMT
- Two self-portraits by Francis Bacon are going on public display for the first time after being rediscovered in a private collection, before being sold.
- Furious 7 stays top of US box office Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:19:45 GMT
- Furious 7 tops the US and Canada's box office for a fourth week, as Avengers: Age of Ultron tops the international chart a week ahead of its US release.
- Back pain link to chimpanzee spine Mon, 27 Apr 2015 02:29:07 GMT
- People with lower back problems are more likely to have a spine similar in shape to the chimpanzee, our closest ape ancestor.
- Nepal quake 'followed historic pattern' Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:08:52 GMT
- Nepal's devastating magnitude-7.8 earthquake on Saturday was primed over 80 years ago by its last massive earthquake in 1934, geologists working in the region say.
- No life-saving surgery 'for billions' Mon, 27 Apr 2015 02:33:40 GMT
- Two-thirds of the world's population have no access to safe and affordable surgery, according to a new study in The Lancet.
- Mitochondria editing tried in mice Sun, 26 Apr 2015 02:47:59 GMT
- Researchers develop a technique to edit out bits of mitochondrial DNA that could otherwise pass on incurable diseases, a study in mice shows.
- 'Mayweather should retire after fight' Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:01:53 GMT
- Floyd Mayweather should quit after Saturday's super-fight against Manny Pacquiao, according to his father.
- Real best team in world - Hernandez Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:54:33 GMT
- Manchester United's Javier Hernandez says his loan club Real Madrid are the "best team in the world".
- The photographer who captures the horrors of the sea Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:22:39 GMT
- Photographer Juan Medina explains why he has spent the past 20 years following the stories of migrants trying to reach Europe by sea.
- The woman who adopts dead babies Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:20:15 GMT
- Twelve years ago a dead baby was found at Bernarda Gallardo's local rubbish dump - the only way she could give it a proper funeral was to adopt it.