"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- VIDEO: World record set at ploughing event Sat, 28 Feb 2015 19:18:53 GMT
- A new world record is achieved at the 100th Mullahead ploughing match in County Armagh.
- VIDEO: Congressman pays 'Downton' decor costs Sat, 28 Feb 2015 23:46:29 GMT
- An American congressman has to pay back $40,000 of public money after re-decorating his office in the style of the period television drama Downton Abbey
- VIDEO: Photographing black Britain Sun, 01 Mar 2015 00:11:24 GMT
- As a new exhibition about the experience of black British people opens in London, Jamaican-born Photographer Neil Kenlock speaks to the BBC about the show.
- VIDEO: Missing Oscars dress 'found' Sat, 28 Feb 2015 05:51:55 GMT
- Police in California say they have found a dress which could be the one worn by actress Lupita Nyong'o at the Oscars.
- VIDEO: Mariupol's volunteer defence force Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:19:30 GMT
- Fighting has died down in Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions in recent days, after a ceasefire agreed between the government and pro-Russian rebels.
- Nemtsov killing polarises Russian society Sat, 28 Feb 2015 12:26:24 GMT
- Both government and opposition in Russia are coming up with theories about the killing of Putin critic Boris Nemtsov, but it could be years before it becomes clear why it happened, says the BBC's Artyom Liss.
- IS using love as a recruitment tool Sat, 28 Feb 2015 02:03:42 GMT
- IS needs women to build a state, says Razia Iqbal - and it is using social media to lure impressionable recruits.
- Campaignspotting: BBC's 2016 blog Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:23:18 GMT
- It may be almost a year before voting begins, but the race for the US presidency is already heating up.
- Hong Kong runners in 'boring' race Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:58:33 GMT
- Runners compete in Hong Kong's first inner-city ultra marathon, despite organisers describing it as "quite boring".
- Finnish punk band set for Eurovision Sun, 01 Mar 2015 14:46:24 GMT
- A punk band made up of musicians with learning disabilities is chosen to represent Finland at the Eurovision Song Contest.
- Huawei and LG unveil smartwatches Sun, 01 Mar 2015 14:12:25 GMT
- LG unveils a smartwatch that can make calls without being paired to a phone, while Huawei unveils its first Android Wear watch.
- HTC to sell virtual reality headsets Sun, 01 Mar 2015 15:33:48 GMT
- HTC reveals it is to sell a virtual reality headset featuring tracking technology developed by video games firm Valve.
- Cyber attacks top US threat list Fri, 27 Feb 2015 01:07:36 GMT
- A US intelligence assessment of security threats faced by the country highlights cyber attacks from foreign governments and criminals.
- Google backs down over Blogger porn Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:33:51 GMT
- Google has changed its mind about forcing sexually explicit blogs on its Blogger platform to become private.
- Ageism a disaster, says Scott Thomas Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:07:53 GMT
- A lack of film roles for actresses in their 50s is "a disaster" and the situation is unlikely to change, Dame Kristin Scott Thomas says.