"There is no reason why the same man should like the same book at 18 and at 48."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:48:16 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: What goes into a fake cigarette? Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:55:45 GMT
- The BBC's Tom Brown finds out what is in a fake cigarette
- VIDEO: How pedal power charges your phone Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:17:29 GMT
- From backpacks which indicate which way you are turning to a USB charger that gets its power from pedalling
- VIDEO: Women refugees break rules to survive Tue, 26 Aug 2014 08:13:17 GMT
- Many women who have fled the fighting in North Waziristan find they have to go against tribal customs at the relief camp to get access to food and medical facilities.
- VIDEO: Lost in translation: Fringe comedy Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:16:33 GMT
- How do international comedians break the language barrier at Edinburgh Festival Fringe?
- Fight for leg room diverts flight Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:36:24 GMT
- A US airliner has been diverted after an row broke out over one passenger's use of a device to prevent the seat in front of him from reclining.
- A sheepdog's 'two rules' for success Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:33:00 GMT
- Scientists produce a simple mathematical model that explains how a single sheepdog can herd a large number of sheep.
- Lockheed Martin in space junk deal Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:50:44 GMT
- US defence giant Lockheed Martin is teaming up with an Australian technology firm to track space debris that can damage multi-billion dollar satellites.
- Ryanair to bid for Cyprus Airways Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:39:42 GMT
- Budget airline Ryanair has confirmed that it plans to bid for the Cypriot national airline, Cyprus Airways, which is up for sale.
- Robotic brain 'learns' from internet Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:47:24 GMT
- A super-intelligent robotic "brain" that can learn new skills by browsing millions of web pages has been developed by US researchers.
- Intel builds 'smallest' 3G modem Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:52:22 GMT
- A 3G modem not much bigger than a UK penny or US one-cent coin has been unveiled by Intel as it attempts to enter the connectivity market.
- Fans' delight at Kate Bush comeback Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:27:34 GMT
- Kate Bush makes her stage comeback at London's Hammersmith Apollo to an ecstatic response from fans at her first live concert for 35 years.
- Sherlock in triple Emmy Awards win Tue, 26 Aug 2014 06:55:05 GMT
- BBC One drama Sherlock wins a hat-trick of awards at the Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, including prizes for Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
- Global coal 'binge' missed in data Tue, 26 Aug 2014 18:23:41 GMT
- The climate impacts of the world's fossil-fuelled power plants are being underestimated because of poor accounting, say researchers.
- Badger cull targets are announced Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:52:41 GMT
- A target number of badgers to be killed in this year's pilot cull to tackle tuberculosis in cattle is announced.