"Every burned book or house enlightens the world; every suppressed or expunged word reverberates through the earth from side to side."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- VIDEO: Paralysed man walks after cell surgery Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:27:42 GMT
- A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.
- VIDEO: Doctor on sister's Ebola death Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:48:33 GMT
- Dr Olivet Buck died after contracting Ebola while treating patients in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- AUDIO: Nigeria's vibrant media industry Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:37:15 GMT
- How Nigeria's media industry could become one of the world's most vibrant
- VIDEO: Halal lipstick launches in India Tue, 21 Oct 2014 04:49:00 GMT
- Religious women in India who want to wear make-up no longer have to struggle to find products that suit their faith.
- U-boat found with ship it sank Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:44:55 GMT
- U-boat found off US coast with ship it sank
- Slumbering lions win top photo prize Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:24:49 GMT
- Slumbering lions win top photo prize
- Total names new heads after boss dies Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:51:58 GMT
- Oil giant Total appoints a new chief executive and new chairman to replace Christophe de Margerie who died in a plane crash in Moscow on Monday.
- Japan's exports jump in September Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:06:24 GMT
- Japan's trade deficit edges higher in September despite exports growing at their fastest pace in seven months.
- Audi claims self-drive speed record Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:29:19 GMT
- Audi says one of its self-drive test cars topped 149mph (240km/h) at a race track in Germany, beating a human-driven version.
- Students build Oculus Moon robot Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:26:05 GMT
- US team develop a robot that can send back live pictures from the Moon as part of attempt to win Google's Lunar X-Prize.
- Bush calls comeback 'extraordinary' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:11:13 GMT
- Singer Kate Bush says her recent run of 22 comeback concerts was "one of the most extraordinary experiences" of her life.
- Kesha denied Dr Luke sex claims in 2011 Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:15:52 GMT
- US singer Kesha said her long-term producer Dr Luke never had sex with her, nor gave her drugs, in a deposition given three years ago.
- Physics reveals how nature sparkles Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:15:57 GMT
- Researchers reveal that the same physical mechanism is behind many of nature's most dazzling shines.
- Wind farms outstrip nuclear power Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:07:59 GMT
- The UK's wind farms generated more power than its nuclear power stations on Tuesday, the National Grid says.
- Male genes linked to early death Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:51:47 GMT
- The male Y sex chromosome may have a role in prolonging men's lives and fighting cancer, according to a study.