"In politics I am growing indifferent -- I would like it, if I could now return to my planting and books at home."
- VIDEO: The history of Christmas crackers Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:39:19 GMT
- Christmas crackers are bound to be a feature of Yuletide celebrations this Thursday, but did you know that they actually date back more than 150 years?
- VIDEO: Tremors endanger Michelangelo's David Sun, 21 Dec 2014 06:40:34 GMT
- The Italian government is to spend around €200,000 (£156,000) on a new plinth for Michaelangelo's David to protect the statue from earth tremors.
- VIDEO: Man who missed out on biggest jackpot Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:43:35 GMT
- On the day the draw for the world's biggest lottery, El Gordo, takes place in Madrid with total prize pool of €2.5 billion ($3bn) the BBC speaks to the man who missed out.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:10:53 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Elton and David's social media marriage Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:33:12 GMT
- Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish have officially married, nine years after they held their civil partnership ceremony.
- VIDEO: How free are Confucius Institutes? Mon, 22 Dec 2014 01:10:34 GMT
- A large scale school and university education programme, funded by the Chinese government, has been under attack in both the USA and Canada.
- VIDEO: Knife attacker is shot dead in France Sun, 21 Dec 2014 06:36:07 GMT
- A man has been killed by police near the city of Tours in central France, after attacking officers with a knife.
- VIDEO: Actress Billie Whitelaw dies at 82 Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:33:50 GMT
- Actress Billie Whitelaw, famous for her interpretations of the works of Samuel Beckett, has died at the age of 82, her son confirms.
- Where will the oil price settle? Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:56:13 GMT
- The oil price may have hit bottom. But oil will continue for some months yet to be the big influence on prosperity and power.
- Germany wants more women in boardroom Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:23:21 GMT
- A new measure aims to increase the number of women in senior positions in German industry - but it must overcome deep-seated antagonism, says Jenny Hill.
- Digging for diversity in Botswana Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:55:59 GMT
- A look at attempts in Botswana to move the country's economy away from a resilience on diamonds.
- Climate of fear in Turkmenistan Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:20:03 GMT
- Foreign investors are keen to do deals with Turkmenistan but a climate of fear silences dissent, writes the BBC's Abdujalil Abdurasulov in Ashgabat.
- VIDEO: Can Luther King take on North Korea? Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:34:16 GMT
- Martin Luther King had a dream of freedom. Can his biopic save Hollywood from censorship, asks the BBC's arts editor Will Gompertz
- VIDEO: A look at the scale of the 2004 tsunami Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:58:05 GMT
- The BBC takes a closer look at the scale of one of the biggest natural disasters in recorded history - the tsunami of 2004
- Picture power: Abandoned on the border Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:29:40 GMT
- Photographer Murad Sezer explains why he shot an abandoned baby's cradle on the Syrian Turkish border.