"'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations?'"
—Lewis Carroll (1832-98) [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] British mathematician, writer
- VIDEO: Top secret space plane lands in US Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:07:32 GMT
- A unmanned US plane on a top-secret, two-year mission to space has returned to Earth and landed in California.
- VIDEO: Pitt: Fury 'depicts reality of war' Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:23:48 GMT
- The London Film Festival closed on Sunday evening with a screening of Brad Pitt's new film Fury.
- VIDEO: Running a marathon in a smog mask Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:08:53 GMT
- The Chinese capital has been suffering under heavy smog for the past few weeks, but the 34th edition of the Beijing marathon still went ahead on Sunday.
- VIDEO: 'I'd be lost without poetry' Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:41:51 GMT
- Writer and broadcaster Clive James talks about his new volume of essays and how poetry helps him deal with his terminal cancer.
- VIDEO: Ebola: Cuba to send medics to Africa Sun, 19 Oct 2014 03:54:41 GMT
- Cuba's former President Fidel Castro says his country will send almost 300 extra doctors and nurses to Africa.
- VIDEO: Robot dragon versus giant spider Mon, 20 Oct 2014 06:09:32 GMT
- Two mythical creatures, a giant spider and a huge dragon, have faced one another in battle at Beijing's Olympic Park.
- Sex emerged in ancient Scottish lake Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:17:58 GMT
- The first animals to copulate were small fish that lived 385 million years ago in what is now Scotland, a study suggests.
- Russian rouble weakens on downgrade Mon, 20 Oct 2014 09:36:21 GMT
- The Russian rouble weakens further against the dollar after Moody's downgrades its credit rating, blaming the economic damage caused by sanctions.
- Adidas shares up on Reebok reports Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:59:06 GMT
- Shares in sportswear giant Adidas jump 6% after a report says that a group of investors is considering a bid for the company's Reebok brand.
- Minecraft city built in two years Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:00:42 GMT
- A student from Delaware has spent two years constructing Titan City from 4.5 million Minecraft building blocks.
- Internet trolls face longer sentences Sun, 19 Oct 2014 19:22:17 GMT
- People who post abusive messages online could face up to two years in jail under new laws proposed by Justice Secretary Chris Grayling.
- Easy Rider motorcycle sold for $1.35m Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:35:33 GMT
- A customised motorcycle said to have featured in 1969 film Easy Rider is auctioned for $1.35m (£838,821), despite claims it is not authentic.
- Brad Pitt's Fury closes festival Sun, 19 Oct 2014 20:17:14 GMT
- Brad Pitt says he hopes his new film Fury recognised the trauma suffered by soldiers in World War Two as it closes this year's BFI London Film Festival.
- African solar plan to power UK homes Mon, 20 Oct 2014 06:33:33 GMT
- Investors are seeking funding from the UK government for an ambitious plan to import solar energy generated in North Africa.
- Comet Siding Spring skims past Mars Sun, 19 Oct 2014 22:10:16 GMT
- A recently discovered comet known as Siding Spring passes Mars, giving scientists a unique chance to study the object.