"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:02:18 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Sanctions hitting Russian oil firms Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:51:00 GMT
- Opec's meeting in Vienna is being closely watched in Russia, which depends heavily on oil exports but is being hit by Western sanctions over Ukraine.
- VIDEO: Obama pardons Thanksgiving turkeys Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:49:55 GMT
- Barack Obama carries out the annual White House tradition of pardoning two turkeys, preventing them from becoming Thanksgiving dinner.
- VIDEO: Extreme weather and its risk to lives Thu, 27 Nov 2014 07:58:16 GMT
- Climate change and population growth will hugely increase the risk to people from extreme weather, a report says.
- VIDEO: 'I found rare Shakespeare Folio' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:41:24 GMT
- Librarian and Medieval literature expert Rémy Cordonnier tells the BBC about the moment he discovered a rare and valuable William Shakespeare First Folio.
- Potent and provocative symbol of the flag Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:27:04 GMT
- Flags can convey powerful - and often very unpalatable - messages, says Mark Mardell,
- Whatever happened to the Brics? Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:28:11 GMT
- Great things were predicted for the economies of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa - but they haven't totally lived up to the hype, says Andrew Walker.
- Propaganda warning over Ukraine conflict Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:15:23 GMT
- The Ukraine conflict is having a severe impact on the freedom of the media, the European security body the OSCE tells Bethany Bell.
- Phillip Hughes: How is the brain injured? Thu, 27 Nov 2014 13:45:54 GMT
- How is the brain injured and how is it protected from injury?
- Lewis Hamilton: A photographer's view Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:29:41 GMT
- Press Association photographer David Davies looks back at the race that clinched the Formula 1 title for Lewis Hamilton.
- VIDEO: What is Opec? In 60 seconds Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:07:46 GMT
- The challenges facing oil exporters as prices slump - in 60 seconds
- SA ventriloquist beats gagging order Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:42:32 GMT
- A South African ventriloquist appears in court with his dummy to successfully challenge a gagging order.
- Colombia hippo sterilisations begin Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:21:51 GMT
- Vets in Colombia begin to sterilise hippos descended from animals shipped to a private zoo which belonged to the infamous drug baron, Pablo Escobar.
- German jobless rate hits record low Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:23:45 GMT
- Germany's unemployment rate has hit a record low of 6.6%, but falling inflation has raised eurozone deflation fears.
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines Thu, 27 Nov 2014 10:19:23 GMT
- The latest international business headlines from BBC World News.