"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
- VIDEO: Police and protesters clash in Baltimore Tue, 28 Apr 2015 05:29:25 GMT
- The US city of Baltimore has declared a state of emergency amid violent protests over the death of a black man fatally injured in police custody.
- VIDEO: The $50,000 a night Las Vegas hotel room Tue, 28 Apr 2015 06:50:21 GMT
- The richest fight in the history of boxing takes place on Saturday in Las Vegas.
- VIDEO: New York turns lights off for birds Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:07:15 GMT
- The state of New York is to turn off non-essential lights in state-run buildings to help migrating birds navigate routes in spring and autumn.
- VIDEO: Calls for Indonesia not to execute Tue, 28 Apr 2015 05:06:52 GMT
- France and Australia have condemned the death penalty as executions for three of their nationals looms in Indonesia.
- VIDEO: 'Constant fighting every single day' Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:17:49 GMT
- A resident of an apartment block on the edge of Donetsk, which has been heavily shelled, says there is "constant fighting, every single day".
- Abe and Obama: Trade top of the agenda Mon, 27 Apr 2015 23:29:31 GMT
- As Shinzo Abe sets out on a week-long trip to the US, it will be the progress made by the Japanese PM and US President Barack Obama on a trade deal that is top of the agenda.
- Countdown to Iran nuclear deal - but resistance remains Tue, 28 Apr 2015 00:49:37 GMT
- A historic Iran nuclear deal is now within reach - but it's still uncertain whether a rare chance to resolve a major security challenge of our time through diplomacy will be grasped, says the BBC's Lyse Doucet.
- US states take aim at NSA facilities Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:06:39 GMT
- Sixteen states have introduced some kind of anti-NSA legislation, seeking to curb the agency's ability to operate.
- Who is facing execution in Indonesia? Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:25:30 GMT
- The BBC looks at the prisoners Indonesia is set to execute for drug-related offences.
- Hong Kong electoral change explained Tue, 28 Apr 2015 02:23:38 GMT
- Why are people in Hong Kong protesting against proposed electoral changes?
- Why Nepal is so vulnerable to quakes Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:36:00 GMT
- The Magnitude 7.8 Nepal earthquake has occurred in what is one of the most seismically active regions in the world.
- VIDEO: Chernobyl fox makes sandwich Mon, 27 Apr 2015 19:22:46 GMT
- A fox in Chernobyl has made a large sandwich using cold meats and bread fed to him by a radio crew in the area.
- Woman denied $41.8m jackpot payout Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:59:35 GMT
- A 90-year-old woman is denied a $41.8m (£27.6m) penny slot machine bonus after the casino blames it on a computer error.
- Apple returns more cash to investors Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:11:10 GMT
- Technology giant Apple reports profits of $13.6bn for the first three months of 2015, and details plans to return more money to investors.
- Greek PM sees EU deal by next week Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:41:31 GMT
- Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras says Greece is in the final stretch of talks with the EU and that he believes an interim deal will by in place by 9 May.