"Perhaps a modern society can remain stable only by eliminating adolescence, by giving its young, from the age of ten, the skills, responsibilities, and rewards of grownups, and opportunites for action in all spheres of life. Adolescence should be a time of useful action, while book learning and scholarship should be a preoccupation of adults."
—Eric Hoffer (1902-83) American philosopher
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:37:44 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Baby prince meets a Bilby at the zoo Sun, 20 Apr 2014 06:51:06 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge continued their royal tour of Australia with a tour of Taronga Zoo accompanied by their son Prince George.
- VIDEO: Pakistan protest over shot journalist Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:05:06 GMT
- Media workers across Pakistan have held angry protests after a leading journalist was shot and wounded on Saturday.
- VIDEO: Christians mark Easter in tense Ukraine Sun, 20 Apr 2014 07:03:23 GMT
- Orthodox Christians in Ukraine are celebrating Easter although the situation in the country remains unstable.
- VIDEO: Turning the world into an orchestra Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:23:50 GMT
- Spencer Kelly tests out Mogees- a device linked to your smartphone which turns objects into musical instruments.
- Stars read leaked Tarantino script Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:22:44 GMT
- Samuel L Jackson, Bruce Dern and Michael Madsen join Quentin Tarantino for a live reading of a leaked, unproduced film script.
- Jack White cuts single in four hours Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:35:32 GMT
- Jack White records and cuts a single in four hours, and claims a world record has been broken.
- Japan's trade deficit quadruples Mon, 21 Apr 2014 01:33:53 GMT
- Japan's trade deficit quadruples in March as export growth slows and energy imports continue to rise.
- US banking giants see mixed results Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:34:30 GMT
- US banking giant Goldman Sachs reports a drop in net earnings while Morgan Stanley sees profits jump.
- German media boss criticises Google Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:20:24 GMT
- In an open letter to Google's Eric Schmidt the boss of German publishing firm Axel Springer says it is afraid of the search giant.
- Lavabit loses contempt appeal Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:37:07 GMT
- A US appeals court upholds a contempt of court ruling against the secure email service provider Lavabit used by whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- Crouching Tiger prequel set to shoot Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:09:20 GMT
- A prequel to Oscar-winning martial arts film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon will begin filming later this year.
- Paolo Nutini sets 2014 sales record Sun, 20 Apr 2014 18:01:28 GMT
- Scottish singer-songwriter Paolo Nutini tops the charts with Caustic Love, which becomes the fastest-selling album of the year.
- Ancient life 'frozen' by impacts Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:54:53 GMT
- Ancient grasses from the Pampas of Argentina were preserved when asteroids struck the area, scientists report.
- SpaceX launches station cargo flight Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:06:02 GMT
- US company SpaceX launches its latest re-supply mission to the International Space Station, sending up a Dragon freighter to rendezvous with the orbiting platform on Sunday.