"Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
—Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) German writer, romantic poet, social essays
- SA rhino poacher jailed for 77 years Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:22:49 GMT
- A South African rhino poacher is sentenced to 77 years in prison in one of the heaviest sentences aimed at curbing the illegal trade.
- Somali musician-MP is shot dead Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:54:19 GMT
- Popular Somali musician and member of parliament Saado Ali Warsame is shot dead by Islamist militants in the capital, Mogadishu.
- VIDEO: Last journey of Costa Concordia Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:16:41 GMT
- The BBC's Alan Johnston reports on the journey so far of the wrecked cruise ship Costa Concordia as it is towed to Genoa for scrapping.
- VIDEO: Hundreds die in Syria 'deadliest week' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:31:01 GMT
- More than 1,700 people have reportedly been killed in seven days as fighting in Syria intensifies.
- VIDEO: Mayfly swarm fools radar Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:08:01 GMT
- Millions of mayflies took to the air in Wisconsin, tricking radar into thinking it was raining
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:39:25 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Dozens killed in Taiwan plane crash Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:57:42 GMT
- More than 40 people were killed when a TransAsia Airways passenger plane crashed after making a failed emergency landing in Taiwan, local officials say.
- VIDEO: Games cyclists find Glasgow bearings Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:13:21 GMT
- Scotland Correspondent Lorna Gordon bumps into some of the team from Swaziland on the streets of Glasgow.
- VIDEO: 'Depressed' polar bear not moving Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:40:08 GMT
- Arturo, the polar bear dubbed 'the world's saddest animal', will be staying at his zoo in Argentina, despite a massive petition calling for him to be moved to a colder climate.
- VIDEO: Drones overhead on streets of Gaza Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:23:32 GMT
- The United Nations says about 102,000 displaced people are now using shelters across Gaza as the Israeli offensive continues. Those who have stayed are adjusting to the sounds and sights of conflict, as Yolande Knell reports from Gaza.
- Indian boy has 232 teeth removed Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:23:06 GMT
- Doctors in India extract 232 teeth from the mouth of a 17-year-old boy in a seven-hour operation.
- Sri Lanka cyclists spotted on motorway Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:47:50 GMT
- Four members of Sri Lanka's Commonwealth Games team are stopped by police for cycling down a Glasgow motorway.
- Facebook reports surge in profits Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:07:36 GMT
- Social networking firm, Facebook has reported that profits more than doubled in its second quarter on a jump in advertising revenue.
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:39:05 GMT
- The latest international business headlines from BBC World News.
- Tor creator works to debug dark web Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:47:40 GMT
- One of the co-creators of Tor says he is working with others to tackle a "bug" that undermines the anonymity offered by the dark web system.