"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:43:57 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: First in the village to own a fridge Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:17:36 GMT
- A tailor from Calcutta buys his first fridge, which is also the first of his entire village.
- VIDEO: Syrian children photograph lives Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:30:28 GMT
- Hundreds of Syrian children have contributed to an exhibition about their lives in refugee camps in Lebanon.
- VIDEO: Survivors place candles at Auschwitz Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:24:29 GMT
- Auschwitz survivors have been speaking at a ceremony to mark the 70th anniversary since the liberation of the Nazi death camp.
- VIDEO: Survivors lay wreaths at death wall Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:07:48 GMT
- Wreaths are laid and candles lit at Auschwitz to mark the 70th anniversary of its liberation.
- Obama, Apple and the tax issue Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:33:34 GMT
- The astonishing success of technology giant Apple raises again the issue of where it pays its taxes.
- The case against Pu Zhiqiang Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:47:34 GMT
- The BBC's Celia Hatton on Pu Zhiqiang, a human rights lawyer who defended free speech, and the 28 messages the Chinese government may use to jail him.
- Yemen crisis and an uncertain future Wed, 28 Jan 2015 02:36:32 GMT
- After Yemen's government collapses, BBC diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus sees a perilous future for a Middle East country in crisis.
- New Yorkers ask 'Is that it?' Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:58:43 GMT
- While New Yorkers are asking why the city shut down for a few inches of snow, city officials say they're happy they were safe and not sorry.
- VIDEO: What is the wind chill factor? Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:07:56 GMT
- BBC Weather's Peter Gibbs explains the science of wind chill.
- What does Kim Jong-un really want? Wed, 28 Jan 2015 02:49:23 GMT
- Expert witnesses offer insight into the ambitions of the enigmatic North Korean leader.
- Argentina's spy agency in the crossfire Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:47:47 GMT
- Few tears will be shed in Argentina for the disbanding of the country's hated intelligence agency, writes BBC Mundo's Veronica Smink.
- Florida cat crawls out of grave Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:37:01 GMT
- A cat in Florida who was presumed dead after being run over appears five days later having somehow escaped its grave.
- Irish post returns Santa letter Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:02:01 GMT
- Ireland's postal service apologises after a child finds her letter to Santa returned with an "insufficient address" sticker.
- Greece markets hit by default fears Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:07:26 GMT
- Greek financial markets were in turmoil on Wednesday with investors fearing the new anti-bailout government was determined to defy its international creditors.