"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:40:20 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Elton and David's social media marriage Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:33:12 GMT
- Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish have officially married, nine years after they held their civil partnership ceremony.
- VIDEO: Testing out a hoverboard Mon, 22 Dec 2014 00:06:09 GMT
- The BBC's Richard Taylor tests out a hoverboard that uses magnetic levitation.
- VIDEO: Knife attacker is shot dead in France Sun, 21 Dec 2014 06:36:07 GMT
- A man has been killed by police near the city of Tours in central France, after attacking officers with a knife.
- VIDEO: Actress Billie Whitelaw dies at 82 Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:33:50 GMT
- Actress Billie Whitelaw, famous for her interpretations of the works of Samuel Beckett, has died at the age of 82, her son confirms.
- Where will the oil price settle? Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:56:13 GMT
- The oil price may have hit bottom. But oil will continue for some months yet to be the big influence on prosperity and power.
- Germany wants more women in boardroom Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:23:21 GMT
- A new measure aims to increase the number of women in senior positions in German industry - but it must overcome deep-seated antagonism, says Jenny Hill.
- Digging for diversity in Botswana Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:55:59 GMT
- A look at attempts in Botswana to move the country's economy away from a resilience on diamonds.
- Climate of fear in Turkmenistan Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:20:03 GMT
- Foreign investors are keen to do deals with Turkmenistan but a climate of fear silences dissent, writes the BBC's Abdujalil Abdurasulov in Ashgabat.
- VIDEO: Can Luther King take on North Korea? Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:34:16 GMT
- Martin Luther King had a dream of freedom. Can his biopic save Hollywood from censorship, asks the BBC's arts editor Will Gompertz
- VIDEO: A look at the scale of the 2004 tsunami Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:58:05 GMT
- The BBC takes a closer look at the scale of one of the biggest natural disasters in recorded history - the tsunami of 2004
- Picture power: Abandoned on the border Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:29:40 GMT
- Photographer Murad Sezer explains why he shot an abandoned baby's cradle on the Syrian Turkish border.
- VIDEO: How can a fish be a spy? - in 15 secs Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:46:37 GMT
- The US navy has developed a robot that looks like a fish, but has high-tech surveillance equipment inside.
- Giant 'El Gordo' lottery grips Spain Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:37:26 GMT
- Spaniards await the results of the famous "El Gordo" (The Fat One) Christmas lottery, with €2.2bn (£1.7bn; $2.7bn) of prizes on offer.
- Argentine court grants rights to ape Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:05:08 GMT
- A court in Argentina rules that a shy orangutan who spent the last 20 years in a zoo can be granted some legal rights enjoyed by humans.