"A Book of Verses undeneath the Bough, A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread - and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness- Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"
—Omar Khayyám (1050?-1123) Persian poet, mathematician, astronomer
- VIDEO: Rights for Saudi women 'progressing' Mon, 04 May 2015 09:15:54 GMT
- Saudi Arabia is one of the world's most conservative societies, and the role of women is limited, but some think progress is being made, as Lina Sinjab reports.
- VIDEO: Glass: 'Didn't make a living until 41' Mon, 04 May 2015 14:42:03 GMT
- Philippa Thomas has been speaking to the man who's known as one of the founding fathers of minimalism - Philip Glass
- VIDEO: China-Taiwan relations in 60 secs Mon, 04 May 2015 16:40:49 GMT
- In a clear sign of warming relations the Chinese Premier Xi Jinping has met the head of Taiwan's ruling party.
- VIDEO: Thousands rescued in Mediterranean Mon, 04 May 2015 13:20:50 GMT
- The Italian coastguard says it has rescued nearly 6,000 people from boats in the Mediterranean over the weekend. At least ten bodies were also recovered from the water.
- VIDEO: China's old art of Peking Opera Sun, 03 May 2015 20:34:00 GMT
- Fu Wenyu is one of few young students trying to stop the old theatrical art of Peking Opera from dying out.
- Surveillance law prompts unease in France Sun, 03 May 2015 23:20:54 GMT
- A proposed French law to beef up intelligence-gathering in the face of jihadist violence has provoked outspoken criticism about infringement of civil liberties, says Hugh Schofield
- Indian media facing a backlash in Nepal Mon, 04 May 2015 11:20:01 GMT
- Many in Nepal feel Indian media's coverage of the earthquake has been insensitive and jingoistic, writes Soutik Biswas.
- Saudi king faces changing landscape Sun, 03 May 2015 23:24:43 GMT
- Saudi King Salman has made bold policy choices in his first 100 days but what are the chief concerns of his subjects?
- How does al-Qaeda attract Yemenis? Sun, 03 May 2015 23:27:50 GMT
- Given the vast sums that the US in particular has spent on counterterrorism operations inside Yemen, why has al-Qaeda continued to grow?
- Greece's undeclared domestic default Mon, 04 May 2015 11:09:17 GMT
- Greece has paid wages and pensions and is in talks with the eurozone for more bailout money, but for many Greeks the government is already out of cash.
- Pamela Geller: America's 'bigoted blogger'? Mon, 04 May 2015 11:00:55 GMT
- Pamela Geller is a controversial blogger who has risen to prominence in the US after strident attacks against Islam.
- Astronauts watch Star Wars in space Mon, 04 May 2015 15:18:06 GMT
- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station celebrate Star Wars Day with a movie pick that may surprise some fans.
- Garcia Marquez first edition stolen Mon, 04 May 2015 09:08:45 GMT
- Police in Colombia are investigating the theft from a Bogota book fair of a signed first edition of One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- McDonald's announces shake-up plans Mon, 04 May 2015 13:05:36 GMT
- Fast-food chain McDonald's announces plans to restructure its business and increase its number of franchised restaurants globally.
- Price rise hurts eurozone factories Mon, 04 May 2015 10:02:27 GMT
- Eurozone factory activity grows at a slower pace after manufacturers raise prices for the first time in eight months, figures show.