"A book is a friend; a good book is a good friend. It will talk to you when you want it to talk, and it will keep still when you want it to keep still; and there are not many friends who know enough to do that."
—B. A. Billingsly
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:54:45 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: China's growing naval power obsession Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:58:32 GMT
- US President Barack Obama has left Washington for a week-long tour of Asia as part of what the White House is calling an "eastward rebalancing" of US foreign policy.
- VIDEO: The trouble with tips Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:33:55 GMT
- Service workers like waiters and bartenders can make good money working for cash tips. But when business is slow, there's little safety net. How do they fit into the US discussion about raising the minimum wage?
- VIDEO: Political prisoners still suffering Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:47:26 GMT
- Former political prisoners in Myanmar say they are still being "treated like criminals" and need more support from the state to reintegrate into society.
- VIDEO: In 60 secs: Who are Boko Haram? Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:20:42 GMT
- BBC News outlines the background, leadership and activities of the Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram.
- VIDEO: DJ Duke: Will and Kate hit the decks Wed, 23 Apr 2014 05:10:32 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been taught how to DJ, during the latest leg of their royal tour of Australia.
- Mystery of 'ocean quacks' solved Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:01:55 GMT
- The mystery of a bizarre quacking sound often heard in the Southern Ocean has finally been solved, scientists report.
- Primark to open its first US stores Wed, 23 Apr 2014 07:01:49 GMT
- Clothing retailer Primark is to open its first US stores, beginning with a 70,000 sq-ft shop in Boston.
- KFC owner's profits get China boost Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:57:25 GMT
- Yum Brands, the owner of fast food chains KFC and Pizza Hut, reports an 18% jump in first quarter profit, helped by a rebound in sales in China.
- Google refunding buyers of fake app Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:09:06 GMT
- Google is refunding people who bought a fake anti-virus app through its Google Play store.
- Russian social network founder fired Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:46:46 GMT
- The founder of Russian social network VKontakte says he has been fired and that his site has been taken over by allies of President Putin.
- Led Zeppelin unleash unheard work Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:49:51 GMT
- Legendary rock group Led Zeppelin make public two previously unheard recordings.
- Singer accuser files more sex claims Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:53:42 GMT
- A man who has accused X-Men director Bryan Singer of sexually abusing him as a teenager is suing three more Hollywood executives, claiming they also molested him.
- Asteroid impact risks 'underplayed' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:18:33 GMT
- A visualisation showing where sizeable asteroids have hit the Earth in recent years has been released by the B612 Foundation.
- Graphene 'made with kitchen blender' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:03:27 GMT
- Scientists have outlined how they managed to make the wonder material graphene using a kitchen blender.