"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."
—Saint Augustine (354-430) Christian church father, philosopher, bishop
- VIDEO: Climate change in global spotlight Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:36:18 GMT
- Street protests demanding urgent action on climate change have attracted hundreds of thousands of marchers in more than 2,000 locations worldwide.
- VIDEO: Jude Law: "DRC gone off the radar" Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:19:43 GMT
- During a trip to the troubled region of Eastern DRC, British actor Jude Law called for more international attention to be given to the country.
- VIDEO: Singing the Western Sahara blues Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:01:50 GMT
- Aziza Brahim, a singer from the disputed territory of Western Sahara, uses haunting melodies to draw attention to the plight of her people.
- VIDEO: Prohibition plans for Kerala Sun, 21 Sep 2014 06:42:32 GMT
- The southern Indian state of Kerala has said it will ban the sale and consumption of alcohol to tackle the problem of excessive drinking.
- Roast peanuts 'spark more allergies' Sun, 21 Sep 2014 23:40:38 GMT
- Roasted peanuts may be more likely to trigger allergic reactions than raw peanuts, according to an Oxford University study carried out on mice.
- NZ leader wants 2015 flag vote Mon, 22 Sep 2014 07:46:47 GMT
- Re-elected Prime Minister John Key says a referendum on whether to change the national flag of New Zealand could be held next year.
- Air France pilots reject offer Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:05:28 GMT
- Striking Air France pilots have rejected an offer by the airline aimed at resolving the dispute.
- Alibaba 'breaks share sale record' Mon, 22 Sep 2014 15:39:02 GMT
- Chinese internet giant Alibaba has raised $25bn in its share flotation, according to US media, making it the largest initial public offering in history.
- eBay criticised as hacks continue Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:58:27 GMT
- Leading security researchers call on eBay to take immediate action over dangerous listings - as more security problems arise.
- Dotcom: Name was poison for NZ vote Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:41:24 GMT
- Kim Dotcom, the technology millionaire accused of "massive" piracy, fails in his bid to gain political power in New Zealand.
- Lion King 'most successful show' Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:14:18 GMT
- Musical The Lion King takes more money at the box office than any other stage show or cinema release.
- Downton Abbey return seen by 8.1m Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:09:09 GMT
- The first episode of the fifth series of costume drama Downton Abbey is watched by an average audience of 8.1m on ITV.
- Cosmic study 'underestimated' dust Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:04:26 GMT
- Scientists who claimed to have found evidence for a cosmic super-expansion just after the Big Bang underestimated a key confounding factor in their research, according to a new analysis.
- Scientists debate sea-ice trends Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:14:04 GMT
- Researchers meet in London to discuss sea-ice trends, as the Arctic reaches its summer low extent and the Antarctic pushes on to another record high.
- Ebola health team killed in Guinea Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:58:45 GMT
- Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers in Guinea, officials say.