"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."
—Ray Douglas Bradbury (b. 1920) American writer of science fiction
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sun, 26 Oct 2014 06:35:59 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Using Facebook to get a pay rise Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:13:53 GMT
- BBC News speaks to the creators of Smarpshare, who want employees to become brand ambassadors for their firms.
- VIDEO: Brazil's 'tightest' presidential vote Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:21:16 GMT
- Sunday's presidential run-off vote in Brazil is too close to call and the election battle has centred on the pivotal home state of both candidates, Minas Gerais.
- VIDEO: Paris's Picasso museum reopens Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:13:33 GMT
- Paris's world-renowned Picasso museum is reopening after being closed for five years.
- VIDEO: Could amputees re-grow lost limbs? Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:49:14 GMT
- Amputees could one day re-grow their missing limbs, according to researchers at Imperial College London.
- Queen hit song 'has healing powers' Sun, 26 Oct 2014 04:32:37 GMT
- Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is a good song for people to listen to if they feel unwell or down, a poll suggests.
- Russian clocks go back for last time Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:36:16 GMT
- After experimenting with permanent summer hours, Russia is adopting permanent winter hours due to fewer hours of daylight in the north.
- Mass protest over Italy job reforms Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:04:08 GMT
- A mass protest is held in the Italian capital, Rome, against Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's plans for labour market reform.
- Vietnam tycoon arrested for 'fraud' Sat, 25 Oct 2014 09:42:46 GMT
- One of Vietnam's richest men, Ha Van Tham, is arrested by police on suspicion of lending fraud, authorities say.
- Hailo says Uber blocked investors Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:41:35 GMT
- After pulling out of the US, taxi app Hailo complains that rival Uber is blocking potential investors from offering funding.
- The Queen sends her first tweet Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:51:47 GMT
- The Queen sends her first tweet to launch the London Science Museum's ambitious new Information Age gallery.
- Cliff Richard police raid 'inept' Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:10:39 GMT
- The handling of a police raid at the home of veteran pop star Sir Cliff Richard is described as inept by the Commons Home Affairs Committee.
- Alvin Stardust album gets early release Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:13:07 GMT
- The release of Alvin Stardust's final album, his first in 30 years, is brought forward following his death.
- Science chief warns on acid oceans Fri, 24 Oct 2014 05:18:50 GMT
- The UK's chief scientist says the oceans face a serious and growing risk from man-made carbon emissions.
- EU leaders agree CO2 emissions cut Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:59:54 GMT
- The EU agrees what it calls "the world's most ambitious" deal to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 40% by 2030, overcoming deep divisions.