"Associate with the noblest people you can find; read the best books; live with the mighty. But learn to be happy alone. Rely upon your own energies, and so do not wait for, or depend on other people."
—Thomas Davidson Professor
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 01 Nov 2014 05:34:31 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Prototype flying car shown off Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:18:17 GMT
- BBC Click looks at some of the week's technology highlights, including a flying car and electric rollerskates.
- VIDEO: Serial: Cult podcast grips audiences Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:14:28 GMT
- In the age of "binge-watching" programmes, a US podcast series is gripping audiences around the world who are hooked on its weekly instalments.
- VIDEO: Baby pandas wrestle with their keeper Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:23:55 GMT
- A breeder in China's Chendgu province was trying to give these two baby pandas medicine instead of their usual bamboo leaves- and they were having none of it.
- VIDEO: The dancers who light up the stage Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:12:14 GMT
- The Japanese dance group using wearable technology to lighten up their act.
- Questions remain over Afghanistan Sat, 01 Nov 2014 00:52:42 GMT
- No clear verdict can be made about the military campaign in Afghanistan, says Nick Childs.
- Fashion challenge for Apple's Ive Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:13:32 GMT
- Can Apple design guru Jony Ive turn the smartwatch into a hit?
- The price of peace in Colombia Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:19:17 GMT
- As peace talks between the Colombian government and Farc rebels enter their third year, Vanessa Buschschluter asks what a peaceful Colombia would look like.
- VIDEO: What happened to TV cameras in court? Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:18:07 GMT
- It has been one year since TV cameras started rolling in the Court of Appeal. But what has happened since? Legal Correspondent Clive Coleman investigates.
- Wannabe is 'catchiest hit single' Sat, 01 Nov 2014 02:33:07 GMT
- What is 'catchiest' hit single in British history?
- Pompeii relic returned 50 years on Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:26:40 GMT
- A woman from Canada hands back a stolen piece of the ruins of Pompeii more than 50 years after she put it into her bag.
- Russia raises interest rates to 9.5% Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:32:56 GMT
- Russia's central bank raises interest rates to 9.5% from 8%, a much bigger rise than expected, as it seeks to combat inflation.
- BOJ boosts monetary stimulus measure Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:34:29 GMT
- Japan's central bank, the Bank of Japan, surprises markets by announcing an expansion of its monetary stimulus policy.
- Pirate Bay founder gets jail term Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:52:50 GMT
- Pirate Bay co-founder Gottfrid Warg sentenced to three-and-half years in prison after being found guilty of hacking into Danish computers.
- Millions hit in Drupal hack attack Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:30:59 GMT
- Software firm Drupal warns millions to "assume" they have been hacked if they have not applied a patch for a recently discovered bug.