"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- VIDEO: Halal lipstick launches in India Tue, 21 Oct 2014 04:49:00 GMT
- Religious women in India who want to wear make-up no longer have to struggle to find products that suit their faith.
- AUDIO: Nigeria's vibrant media industry Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:37:15 GMT
- How Nigeria's media industry could become one of the world's most vibrant
- VIDEO: Baghdad: Where one bomb is a quiet day Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:03:29 GMT
- The regularity of bombings in Baghdad makes fire-fighting a busy and dangerous profession.
- VIDEO: Designer Oscar de la Renta dies Tue, 21 Oct 2014 03:56:44 GMT
- US fashion designer Oscar de la Renta, who dressed former first ladies Jackie Kennedy and Hillary Clinton, has died aged 82, US media report.
- VIDEO: Investigation into US 'pumpkin riot' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:26:17 GMT
- An annual pumpkin festival in Keene, New Hampshire, turned violent as the event descended into a night of rioting.
- Singing nun releases 'Like a Virgin' Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:00:22 GMT
- Italian nun who won the The Voice releases Madonna's 1984 hit as her debut single.
- Banksy's Pierced Eardrum vandalised Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:41:46 GMT
- A new mural by street artist Banksy in Bristol is vandalised less than 24 hours after the work appeared.
- China growth slows to five-year low Tue, 21 Oct 2014 04:20:21 GMT
- China's economy grows at its slowest pace since the global financial crisis, causing speculation the government may introduce more stimulus measures.
- Microsoft boss gets $84m pay package Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:15:40 GMT
- Microsoft boss Satya Nadella has been given a pay package worth $84.3m, making him one of the top earners in the tech industry.
- Man guilty of fake-girl webcam sex Tue, 21 Oct 2014 03:29:45 GMT
- An Australian man is convicted of performing a sex act in front of a webcam "watched by" a computer-generated child he believed was real.
- Audi claims self-drive speed record Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:29:19 GMT
- Audi says one of its self-drive test cars topped 149mph (240km/h) at a race track in Germany, beating a human-driven version.
- Protests against controversial opera Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:18:52 GMT
- Politicians including former Mayor Rudy Giuliani protest against controversial opera The Death of Klinghoffer.
- Turtles attack UK box office Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:53:42 GMT
- The reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has topped the UK and Ireland box office, ending Gone Girl's two week run at the top.
- Pesticide bans 'could hit UK crops' Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:19:57 GMT
- The EU's decision to ban the use of some pesticides could threaten UK crops, increase food prices and hit farmers' profits, a report claims.
- Aussie bees fight 'hive wars' Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:44:45 GMT
- Bee colonies in Brisbane are waging war for months on end, according to a new study, and the victorious swarms are taking over the hives of rival species.