"Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."
—Sir John Lubbock (1834-1913) British banker, politician, naturalist. British Wild Flowers
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:55:43 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: National Gallery in the picture Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:04:01 GMT
- US filmmaker Frederick Wiseman talks to Tom Brooks about his documentary on the National Gallery
- VIDEO: Thai murder police to quiz Britons Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:47:12 GMT
- Police investigating the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Thailand say two British men are "possible suspects" and will face questioning.
- VIDEO: Fijians cast first votes since 2006 Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:28:38 GMT
- Voting ends in the first election in Fiji since former military ruler Frank Bainimarama took power in a coup in 2006.
- VIDEO: 'I volunteered for trial Ebola vaccine' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:16:18 GMT
- The first healthy UK volunteer has received a candidate Ebola vaccine in Oxford on Wednesday in a safety trial carried out by the University of Oxford.
- Owner's E-Type returns - 46 years on Thu, 18 Sep 2014 03:40:30 GMT
- An 82-year-old man in Miami is to be reunited with his E-Type Jaguar sports car, 46 years after it was stolen.
- VIDEO: Police appeal after art theft attempt Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:02:56 GMT
- Birmingham Police have asked for help to identify a man caught on CCTV attempting to take a piece of art from a city centre gallery.
- US Fed to end stimulus in October Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:38:42 GMT
- The US Federal Reserve says it will raise interest rates once a "considerable time" has passed after its stimulus programme ends in October.
- Alibaba set to announce share price Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:34:38 GMT
- Chinese online giant Alibaba is expected to set the price of its shares later in what could be a record-breaking initial public offering in New York.
- Users frustrated by Apple iOS update Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:04:27 GMT
- Apple iPhone and iPad users take to social media to express their frustration over installing the company's latest software update.
- eBay attack puts its buyers at risk Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:32:14 GMT
- A sophisticated attack on eBay compromises at least two listings so that users who click on them are redirected to a fake page that attempts to steal their credentials.
- Country musician Hamilton dies at 77 Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:38:47 GMT
- Country music star George Hamilton IV dies in Nashville, Tennessee at the age of 77.
- Gogglebox wins Rose d'Or TV award Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:41:53 GMT
- Channel 4's Gogglebox and BBC game show Pointless are among the British winners at the Rose d'Or international TV awards in Berlin.
- Europeans drawn from three 'tribes' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:46:29 GMT
- Most present-day Europeans are a mixture of three ancient populations, according to a major study published in the journal Nature.
- Chin strap turns chewing into power Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:27:12 GMT
- Engineers build a chin strap that harnesses the energy produced by jaw movements, and could one day power hearing aids or bluetooth earpieces.