"Who knows why we live, and struggle, and die?... Wise men write many books, in words too hard to understand. But this, the purpose of our lives, the end of all our struggle, is beyond all human wisdom."
—Alan Stewart Paton (1903-88) South African writer, noted for novels Cry, the Beloved Country
- VIDEO: Apple: Celebrity accounts hacked Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:58:14 GMT
- The FBI are investigating allegations that the online accounts of dozens of celebrities have been hacked, allowing explicit photos to be posted on the internet.
- VIDEO: Beslan school siege: Ten years on Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:12:10 GMT
- Ten years after the end of the deadly siege of a school in Beslan, North Ossetia, BBC Russian's Olga Ivshina spoke to some of those who were there.
- VIDEO: Uganda's Ghetto Kids: 'Dance changed my life' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:03:04 GMT
- Children in Uganda working in a pioneering dance group, Ghetto Kids, have been describing how it has changed their lives for the better.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 03 Sep 2014 00:08:57 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Beauty queen refuses to return crown Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:13:28 GMT
- Myanmar's first ever beauty queen has refused to give back her $100,000 (£60,300) crown after being dethroned.
- VIDEO: The most future-proof profession? Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:01:16 GMT
- BBC News talks to Ian Lowe, a blacksmith who teaches other people an ancient art he believes to be future-proof.
- VIDEO: China's museum of roast duck Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:58:25 GMT
- In 2013 China had a new museum open almost every day of the year on average, resulting in some slightly bizarre attractions
- VIDEO: Footage of powerful solar flares Mon, 01 Sep 2014 01:44:43 GMT
- The US Space Agency Nasa has released new footage showing a series of powerful solar flares.
- All diets 'have similar results' Wed, 03 Sep 2014 00:23:52 GMT
- All diets - from Atkins to Weight Watchers - have similar results and people should simply pick the one they find easiest, say researchers.
- Thieving monkey hands out money Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:20:01 GMT
- A monkey in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh steals money from a home and rains down banknotes on people, reports say.
- UK moves up global economic ranking Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:01:17 GMT
- The UK edges up the World Economic Forum's worldwide rankings, but the group warns that the health of the global economy is at risk.
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines Tue, 02 Sep 2014 20:37:58 GMT
- The latest international business headlines from BBC World News.
- Gamers take a stand against misogyny Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:35:55 GMT
- Thousands have signed an open letter demanding change after a female video blogger received death threats.
- Uber banned across Germany by court Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:57:12 GMT
- A court says the UberPop service must stop transporting passengers in Germany, but the American company refuses to suspend work.
- Police 'incompetence' over Sir Cliff Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:42:06 GMT
- South Yorkshire Police are accused of "sheer incompetence" by MPs in the way they dealt with the BBC over a search of Sir Cliff Richard's home.