"A best seller was a book which somehow sold well simply because it was selling well."
—Daniel J (oseph) Boorstin (b. 1914) American Gov't Official, Librarian of Congress
- VIDEO: California 'King fire' doubles in size Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:31:41 GMT
- Thousands of people have been forced to leave their homes in northern California after a wildfire burning out of control doubled in size in just 12 hours.
- VIDEO: US jet in emergency landing Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:12:04 GMT
- A JetBlue airlines A-320 flying over California has been forced to make an emergency landing when an engine problem caused smoke to enter the aircraft's cabin.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:05:45 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Apple fans queue for new iPhone 6 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:30:53 GMT
- Apple's new gadget the iPhone 6 has gone on sale around the world - but many customers have been queuing for days to get their hands on the new device
- VIDEO: 'Home of golf' accepts women members Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:16:05 GMT
- The Royal and Ancient Golf Club in St Andrews has voted to accept women members for the first time in its history.
- VIDEO: TV forecaster breaks endurance record Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:47:47 GMT
- Eli Kari Gjengedal has broken the world record for continuous weather presenting, with 33 hours on screen.
- VIDEO: London hosts Turner and Constable shows Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:02:19 GMT
- Rivals in life, two of Britain's greatest painters William Turner and John Constable, are the subjects of major exhibitions in London.
- VIDEO: First buyer drops brand-new iPhone 6 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:15:41 GMT
- The first person to buy the iPhone 6 in Perth, Australia, dropped his new gadget during an interview with a TV reporter.
- Baby giraffe: 'It's a girl' Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:30:41 GMT
- Belfast Zoo has revealed a baby giraffe born in front of surprised visitors at the animal enclosure is a girl.
- Shares rise in London on 'No' vote Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:12:33 GMT
- Shares rise in London after Scotland rejects independence, as a rally in the pound fades.
- Scottish 'No' vote 'relief' for firms Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:51:07 GMT
- Businesses speak of 'relief' over Scotland's rejection of independence, and banks say they will no longer be shifting operations out of Scotland.
- Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps down Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:14:29 GMT
- Multi-billionaire Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps aside to focus on product engineering, as Mark Hurd and Safra Catz are named as co-chief executives.
- AUDIO: Future 'enormous' for Alibaba Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:04:49 GMT
- The Chinese e-commerce giant, Alibaba, is expected to raise over $25bn (£15bn) in its forthcoming initial public offering.
- Spacey stalker given four years Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:49:24 GMT
- A woman who engaged in a "persistent and malevolent" cyberstalking campaign against actor Kevin Spacey has been sentenced to more than four years in prison.
- Wallace Collection's gallery reopens Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:06:49 GMT
- The Wallace Collection's Great Gallery, which contains paintings by masters including Rubens, Velazquez and Titian, reopens after a £5m refurbishment.