"There is no remedy so easy as books, which if they do not give cheerfulness, at least restore quiet to the most troubled mind."
—Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689-1762) English society figure, letter writer
- Outcry over 'fake' Mandela signer Wed, 11 Dec 2013 23:25:04 GMT
- Sign language experts and deaf viewers complain that the interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial service was a "fake" who was "signing rubbish".
- Movie captures Earth-Moon 'dance' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:19:55 GMT
- The US space agency releases an extraordinary new movie of Earth and the Moon moving through space together.
- VIDEO: Refugees 'burning shoes to survive' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:39:47 GMT
- Hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees living in makeshift camps along the Syria-Lebanon border are being forced to improvise to survive harsh winter conditions without aid.
- VIDEO: Loud noises used to drive away bats Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:30:15 GMT
- An Australian town is using loud noises in an attempt to drive away an infestation of almost 80,000 bats who are roosting in a local park.
- VIDEO: SEA Games open in Myanmar Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:39:30 GMT
- A lavish opening ceremony for the South East Asian Games has taken place in Myanmar, formerly known as Burma.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:14:17 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Protesters fortify barricades in Kiev Wed, 11 Dec 2013 23:18:47 GMT
- Police in Ukraine have abandoned attempts to clear anti-government protesters from the capital Kiev.
- VIDEO: CAR crisis - in 60 seconds Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:16:57 GMT
- BBC News takes a look at the crisis gripping the Central African Republic - in 60 seconds.
- VIDEO: Sun displayed in spectacular detail Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:18:37 GMT
- Nasa's Iris mission has observed the region between the Sun's surface and its outer layers, where temperatures reach 2,000,000C.
- VIDEO: Soldier's new life with bionic arm Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:03:02 GMT
- A soldier injured in battle says he is determined to make a success of his new life with a bionic arm.
- RBS fined $100m by US regulators Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:10:51 GMT
- The Royal Bank of Scotland is fined $100m by US regulators for violating US sanctions against Iran, Sudan, Burma, and Cuba.
- Facebook to join S&P 500 index Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:46:43 GMT
- Slightly over a year after its stock market debut, social networking site Facebook joins the S&P 500 index, which is made up of many of the world's largest firms.
- 'Revenge porn' site owner arrested Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:08:28 GMT
- A 27-year-old man has been arrested in connection a "revenge porn" website which sought to extort victims.
- Spotify offers 'free' mobile service Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:38:33 GMT
- Spotify is to allow handsets and tablets to access its service without paid subscription for the first time.
- British success at SAG nominations Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:08:36 GMT
- British actresses Emma Thompson and Dame Judi Dench are among the British stars shortlisted for this year's Screen Actors Guild awards.