"Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book, If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for."
—Alice Walker (b. 1944) American writer, Meridian, The Color Purple
- VIDEO: Military reburials for WW1 soldiers Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:33:08 GMT
- A reburial service has been taking place in northern France for 15 British World War One soldiers, exactly one hundred years after they were killed in battle.
- VIDEO: Kurds' fury as Kobane battle rages on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:54:39 GMT
- The fighting in Kobane has pushed relations between the Turkish government and Turkey's Kurdish population to the lowest point for years
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:44:54 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Is it sinful to pet a dog? Wed, 22 Oct 2014 02:00:17 GMT
- Many people in the Muslim-majority nation of Malaysia believe it's sinful to be in contact with a dog, but one man is trying to change that perception by putting on a canine event.
- VIDEO: The city hoping to be independent state Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:06:02 GMT
- Steve Rosenberg visits two cities in rebel held Ukraine which will be boycotting the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
- VIDEO: Pistorius: The unanswered questions Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:32:44 GMT
- South African athlete Oscar Pistorius begins serving time in jail, after being sentenced for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
- VIDEO: Paralysed man walks after cell surgery Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:27:42 GMT
- A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.
- Mystery of giant arm dinosaur solved Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:31:16 GMT
- Two dinosaur skeletons have been unearthed in Mongolia, solving a mystery that has baffled palaeontologists for 50 years.
- Adorkable new words make dictionary Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:27:31 GMT
- The latest print edition of the Collins English dictionary contains 50,000 newly-added words, including selfie, onesie and adorkable.
- US airbag recall expands to 7.8m cars Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:44:19 GMT
- US car safety regulators expand a recall of vehicles with potentially dangerous Takata airbags to 7.8 million, warning that owners should take 'immediate action'.
- Lloyds expected to cut 9,000 jobs Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:04:03 GMT
- Lloyds Banking Group is planning to cut around 9,000 jobs - around a tenth of its entire workforce - over the next three years, the BBC understands.
- Audi claims self-drive speed record Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:29:19 GMT
- Audi says one of its self-drive test cars topped 149mph (240km/h) at a race track in Germany, beating a human-driven version.
- VIDEO: New smart glasses 'look to rival Google' Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:25:58 GMT
- BBC Click's Marc Cieslak looks at the smart glasses on show at the annual Ceatec electronics exhibition in Japan.
- Wilko Johnson is 'cancer free' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:45:28 GMT
- Former Dr Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson says he has been "cured" of the terminal pancreatic cancer with which he was diagnosed in 2012.
- Bush calls comeback 'extraordinary' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:11:13 GMT
- Singer Kate Bush says her recent run of 22 comeback concerts was "one of the most extraordinary experiences" of her life.