"Books must follow sciences, and not sciences books."
—Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626) English philosopher, essayist, statesman
- VIDEO: Alps rescuer: 'The scene was surreal' Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:40:51 GMT
- Jean Sebastien Beaud from the mountain police, who arrived at the French Alps site soon after the plane crash, describes the scene as "surreal".
- VIDEO: Latest pictures of Alps crash site Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:15:02 GMT
- French authorities have released further footage of the Germanwings plane crash site, as recovery work continues.
- VIDEO: Saudi Arabia's bid to stop IS threat Wed, 01 Apr 2015 05:39:15 GMT
- Barbara Plett Usher reports on Saudi Arabia's attempts to stop its citizens joining Islamic State abroad, and asks whether it should be looking closer to home.
- VIDEO: Buhari promises to tackle Boko Haram Wed, 01 Apr 2015 19:02:39 GMT
- The winner of Nigeria's presidential election, General Muhammadu Buhari, has singled out the threat of the militant Islamist group Boko Haram as the biggest problem facing the country.
- VIDEO: Mafia boss prison sentence expires Wed, 01 Apr 2015 12:47:09 GMT
- A Mafia boss who faced extradition to serve a prison sentence in Italy has had his sentence dropped after Italian authorities said it had expired.
- VIDEO: 'Fire seemed to be from manhole' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:58:55 GMT
- Eyewitness Martin Dyan describes how he and his colleagues were evacuated from their office following a fire under a pavement in Holborn, central London.
- VIDEO: New photos of Scott's expedition Wed, 01 Apr 2015 13:22:13 GMT
- New photos have emerged of Captain Scott and his expedition to the South Pole, in the course of which he died.
- VIDEO: Living in the ruins of war Wed, 01 Apr 2015 00:04:00 GMT
- Natalia Antelava meets a woman living in an abandoned apartment block in the suburbs of Donetsk.
- VIDEO: Palestinian 'tricked' over Banksy art Wed, 01 Apr 2015 05:15:33 GMT
- A Palestinian man says he was 'tricked' into selling a mural by the artist, Banksy, that is estimated to be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- No let-up in Saudi air strikes against Yemen Wed, 01 Apr 2015 18:01:37 GMT
- Saudi Arabia's air operation against Yemen's Houthi rebels is ending its first week with no let-up - but what are the Saudis hoping to achieve, asks Frank Gardner
- Crimean Tatar media 'silenced by Russia' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 12:27:41 GMT
- Most Crimean Tatar media in the Russian-occupied region of Ukraine have shut down, after failing to register with the new authorities.
- US raises prospect of Israel UN isolation Wed, 01 Apr 2015 01:37:46 GMT
- Is Israel about to lose its American firewall at the United Nations in New York, asks Nick Bryant.
- VIDEO: Why does Buhari victory matter? Wed, 01 Apr 2015 16:53:08 GMT
- BBC Africa explains why Muhammadu Buhari's election victory is so momentous for Nigeria and the continent.
- VIDEO: Amazon's 'Dash' buttons explained Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:25:47 GMT
- Amazon has unveiled a button that can be placed around the home - and will replenish items when pressed.
- Are we tired of climate change talk? Wed, 01 Apr 2015 04:47:51 GMT
- A story that once dominated the news seems to have dropped down the media agenda, so what lies behind the decline in coverage?