"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- VIDEO: What is the winter solstice? Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:26:22 GMT
- In the United Kingdom the solstice is a little after 11pm on 21 December this year.
- VIDEO: Elton and David's social media marriage Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:33:12 GMT
- Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish have officially married, nine years after they held their civil partnership ceremony.
- VIDEO: Anglican Archbishop of Jerusalem Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:44:46 GMT
- The Anglican Archbishop of Jerusalem, Suheil Dawani, is head of a diocese that covers much of the Middle East and talked to BBC News about the last year.
- VIDEO: The secretive state of Turkmenistan Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:22:02 GMT
- Turkmenistan in Central Asia is one of the most isolated and secretive states in the world, dissent is not tolerated and suspicion reigns.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 22 Dec 2014 00:35:48 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Japan's senior cheerleaders Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:11:53 GMT
- Cheerleading is usually seen as a young person's sport, but the Japan Senior Cheer Association is for women in their 60s and 70s.
- VIDEO: Month-old cheetahs 'doing well' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:19:55 GMT
- Four cheetah cubs born at Prague zoo in November are doing well, according to keepers.
- VIDEO: Can Luther King take on North Korea? Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:34:16 GMT
- Martin Luther King had a dream of freedom. Can his biopic save Hollywood from censorship, asks the BBC's arts editor Will Gompertz
- Xi Jinping and his China Dream Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:11:20 GMT
- As 2014 draws to a close, the BBC's Carrie Gracie looks back on China's year and asks if the country has achieved its "dream".
- Distrust hampers Pakistan militant control Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:35:04 GMT
- The Pakistan Government and military distrust each other - and that makes combating violence difficult, says Owen Bennett-Jones.
- VIDEO: How can a fish be a spy? - in 15 secs Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:46:37 GMT
- The US navy has developed a robot that looks like a fish, but has high-tech surveillance equipment inside.
- VIDEO: The struggle for Mount Sinjar Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:16:20 GMT
- The BBC explains the significance of Mount Sinjar in northern Iraq, where Kurdish Peshmerga forces say they have broken the hold of Islamic State.
- What next for Fifa and Sepp Blatter? Fri, 19 Dec 2014 19:55:30 GMT
- With a report into World Cup corruption to - eventually - be released, president Sepp Blatter says Fifa's crisis is over. Is he right?
- VIDEO: Tremors endanger Michelangelo's David Sun, 21 Dec 2014 06:40:34 GMT
- The Italian government is to spend around €200,000 (£156,000) on a new plinth for Michaelangelo's David to protect the statue from earth tremors.
- Facebook users crack card mystery Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:58:15 GMT
- Facebook users solve the mystery of a lost memory card in under an hour after an appeal is posted by a police force.