"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Movie captures Earth-Moon 'dance' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:19:55 GMT
- The US space agency releases an extraordinary new movie of Earth and the Moon moving through space together.
- Supervolcano 'even more colossal' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:36:43 GMT
- The supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park in the United States is far larger than was previously thought, scientists report.
- VIDEO: Soldier moves bionic arm by thoughts Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:03:02 GMT
- A soldier injured in battle says he is determined to make a success of his new life with a bionic arm he can control with his thoughts.
- VIDEO: Hollande visits CAR for talks Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:37:00 GMT
- The President of France, Francois Hollande, has visited the Central African Republic for talks with the transitional leadership, after two French soldiers were killed in the capital Bangui.
- VIDEO: Award for Dhaka factory cameramen Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:50:01 GMT
- Two Bangladeshi cameramen, who gained access to leather factories near Dhaka to reveal squalid working conditions, have been awarded the Rory Peck award for examining humanitarian or social issues.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:49:04 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Inside Kiev's frozen protest city Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:06:57 GMT
- The BBC's Steven Rosenberg reports from inside the protest camp in Kiev's Independence Square.
- VIDEO: Syria fighter: 'We are all al-Qaeda' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:28:35 GMT
- A 25-year-old man from France talks about being part of the biggest brigade of foreign jihadists fighting in Syria, and why he left them.
- VIDEO: 'I lived in Antarctica for two years' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:24:27 GMT
- The coldest temperature ever of -93C has been recorded in the heart of Antarctica.
- VIDEO: Jail term for PIP implant boss Tue, 10 Dec 2013 20:37:27 GMT
- The boss of a French company which distributed defective breast implants around the world has been sentenced to four years in prison for fraud.
- Google opens first Asia data centres Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:37:43 GMT
- Google opens its first ever data centres in Asia as it looks to boost its growth further in the region.
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:47:03 GMT
- The latest international business headlines from BBC World News.
- Crooks 'seek ransomware making kit' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 00:04:02 GMT
- Criminals are discussing ways to produce a ransomware creation kit in order to further the spread of blackmailing malware.
- Several plead guilty to Paypal hack Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:47:31 GMT
- Thirteen people plead guilty to disabling Paypal's servers in an attack that US authorities say was orchestrated by hacking collective Anonymous.
- Lost Sellers films to be screened Wed, 11 Dec 2013 05:59:52 GMT
- Two rare films from Peter Sellers' early career will be shown in public for the first time in 50 years, at the 2014 Southend Film Festival.