"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- VIDEO: Japan's senior cheerleaders Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:11:53 GMT
- Cheerleading is usually seen as a young person's sport, but the Japan Senior Cheer Association is for women in their 60s and 70s.
- VIDEO: Spectacular spire climb filmed Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:17:13 GMT
- Cathedral conservators film themselves scaling Britain's highest spire to repair weather meter.
- VIDEO: Mexico welcomes migrating butterflies Sat, 20 Dec 2014 03:41:31 GMT
- Millions of monarch butterflies have arrived in Mexico's forests as part of their annual migration from Canada and the United States.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:42:20 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: 'Exhausted workforce' in Apple factory Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:02:34 GMT
- A BBC investigation for Panorama has exposed poor working conditions in factories making Apple products in China.
- VIDEO: Girl hears Christmas for first time Fri, 19 Dec 2014 07:29:47 GMT
- It's almost Christmas, and Sula's new ear implants mean she will be able to hear carols and jingle bells this year.
- VIDEO: Morricone on Clint Eastwood regret Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:44:17 GMT
- Ennio Morricone talks to Will Gompertz about his career in music - and about why he regrets not composing for Clint Eastwood's films.
- VIDEO: Testing Skype's real-time translator Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:16:02 GMT
- Microsoft has launched a test version of the Skype Translator which decodes conversations in Spanish and English in near real time.
- VIDEO: Can Luther King take on North Korea? Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:34:16 GMT
- Martin Luther King had a dream of freedom. Can his biopic save Hollywood from censorship, asks the BBC's arts editor Will Gompertz
- Xi Jinping and his China Dream Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:11:20 GMT
- As 2014 draws to a close, the BBC's Carrie Gracie looks back on China's year and asks if the country has achieved its "dream".
- Distrust hampers Pakistan militant control Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:35:04 GMT
- The Pakistan Government and military distrust each other - and that makes combating violence difficult, says Owen Bennett-Jones.
- VIDEO: The struggle for Mount Sinjar Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:16:20 GMT
- The BBC explains the significance of Mount Sinjar in northern Iraq, where Kurdish Peshmerga forces say they have broken the hold of Islamic State.
- What next for Fifa and Sepp Blatter? Fri, 19 Dec 2014 19:55:30 GMT
- With a report into World Cup corruption to - eventually - be released, president Sepp Blatter says Fifa's crisis is over. Is he right?
- Is Chechnya facing wave of jihadist violence? Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:39:55 GMT
- Could a period of relative stability in Chechnya be coming to an end, asks Dr Galina Yemelianova.
- Picture power: Doused with milk Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:12:51 GMT
- Adrees Latif explains how he captured the moment a man was treated for the effects of pepper spray.