"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- VIDEO: China’s online shopping revolution Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:52:53 GMT
- The Chinese internet giant Alibaba is set to raise billions on the US stock exchange and is expected to be one of the biggest share offerings in history.
- VIDEO: War ammo found in residential garage Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:05:42 GMT
- Munitions and other artefacts from World War One and World War Two have been found during a raid on a residential garage in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
- VIDEO: Politician recovering after bin stunt Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:10:43 GMT
- A politician has told Ukrainian TV he needs to recover "morally, physically and psychologically" after being dumped in a rubbish bin.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:36:25 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: National Gallery in the picture Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:04:01 GMT
- US filmmaker Frederick Wiseman talks to Tom Brooks about his documentary on the National Gallery
- VIDEO: Thai murder police to quiz Britons Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:47:12 GMT
- Police investigating the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Thailand say two British men are "possible suspects" and will face questioning.
- VIDEO: Fijians cast first votes since 2006 Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:28:38 GMT
- Voting ends in the first election in Fiji since former military ruler Frank Bainimarama took power in a coup in 2006.
- VIDEO: 'I volunteered for trial Ebola vaccine' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:16:18 GMT
- The first healthy UK volunteer has received a candidate Ebola vaccine in Oxford on Wednesday in a safety trial carried out by the University of Oxford.
- Owner's E-Type returns - 46 years on Thu, 18 Sep 2014 03:40:30 GMT
- An 82-year-old man in Miami is to be reunited with his E-Type Jaguar sports car, 46 years after it was stolen.
- Europeans drawn from three 'tribes' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:46:29 GMT
- Most present-day Europeans are a mixture of three ancient populations, according to a major study published in the journal Nature.
- US Fed to end stimulus in October Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:38:42 GMT
- The US Federal Reserve says it will raise interest rates once a "considerable time" has passed after its stimulus programme ends in October.
- Alibaba set to announce share price Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:20:39 GMT
- Chinese online giant Alibaba is expected to set the price of its shares later in what could be a record-breaking initial public offering in New York.
- eBay attack puts its buyers at risk Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:32:14 GMT
- A sophisticated attack on eBay compromises at least two listings so that users who click on them are redirected to a fake page that attempts to steal their credentials.
- Apple toughens iCloud security Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:04:15 GMT
- Apple has extended the use of two-step verification checks to iCloud back-ups, preventing the use of a tool to download iPhone and iPad back-ups.
- Country musician Hamilton dies at 77 Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:38:47 GMT
- Country music star George Hamilton IV dies in Nashville, Tennessee at the age of 77.