"Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them in: but as a rule the purchase of books is mistaken for the appropriation of their contents."
—Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) German philosopher, believed will to live is fundamental reality
- VIDEO: 'White space' internet developed Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:18:01 GMT
- David Grossman reports from the Isle of Wight, on the "white space" which could help remote areas access fast broadband.
- VIDEO: Litter bug mountaineers 'must recycle' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:01:55 GMT
- Over the decades tonnes of disposed tents, spent oxygen cylinders and bottles have been left behind on Mount Everest by people trying to scale it. Now authorities are urging them to bring the waste back down with them to recycle it.
- VIDEO: Hamm on beards, baseball and moving on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 05:13:12 GMT
- He's best known for his portrayal as the cool and commanding Don Draper in Mad Men - but actor Jon Hamm is keen to shake off his bad boy image.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 28 Aug 2014 04:59:08 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Banksy art sale saves Bristol boys' club Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:40:56 GMT
- The elusive street artist Banksy has helped save a boys club in his home city of Bristol.
- VIDEO: Eighty years married and still in love Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:12:14 GMT
- A couple who met in 1928 are celebrating their 80th wedding anniversary today and tell the BBC why they're still in love.
- VIDEO: Cheryl and Cowell back to take on Strictly Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:30:18 GMT
- The new series of the X Factor is back on television screens from Saturday. Colin Paterson looks at the new judging line-up and the future of the show
- VIDEO: Chinese calligraphy: Thing of the past? Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:02:27 GMT
- Many people in China are forgetting how to write their own language.
- Roman toilet seat found at dig site Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:01:56 GMT
- Archaeologists unearth a 2,000-year-old perfectly preserved wooden toilet seat at a Roman fort on Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland.
- Banksy sale raises £400k for club Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:15:00 GMT
- A Banksy artwork that was painted on a wall outside a cash-strapped youth club is sold to a private collector for £403,000.
- Pro-independence firms hit back Thu, 28 Aug 2014 05:07:51 GMT
- An open letter signed by more than 200 business figures says the case for independence “has been made”.
- IMF's Lagarde under investigation Wed, 27 Aug 2014 16:46:19 GMT
- IMF head Christine Lagarde says she has been placed under formal investigation for negligence in a French fraud case but has not been charged.
- Landmark court cases deleted from net Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:41:55 GMT
- Numerous records relating to civil rights cases have disappeared from the US government's online legal archive.
- Call for Facebook beheadings rethink Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:52:16 GMT
- Controversial beheading photo posts from Syria spur one of Facebook's safety advisers to call for pictures to have warnings.
- Jasper Johns aide in $6.5m art theft Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:02:53 GMT
- The assistant of American painter Jasper Johns has pleaded guilty to selling artworks worth $6.5m (£3.9m) he stole from the artist's studio.