"Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
—Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) German writer, romantic poet, social essays
- PM tells EU: 'Back me on migration' Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:23:13 GMT
- British PM David Cameron urges EU leaders to back his "reasonable" plan to restrict migrant welfare benefits, but will "rule nothing out" if rebuffed
- 'Many dead' in Nigeria mosque blasts Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:14:01 GMT
- Many people are killed in explosions at one of biggest mosques in the Nigerian city of Kano, reports say.
- Pope call to combat fanaticism Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:30:40 GMT
- Pope Francis calls for all faiths to enter a dialogue to counter fanaticism and fundamentalism, at the start of a key visit to Turkey.
- Ebola test results 'in 15 minutes' Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:13:19 GMT
- A rapid 15-minute blood test for Ebola which researchers say would increase the chances of survival from the virus, is to be trialled in Guinea.
- Brazil legend Pele is 'improving' Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:04:48 GMT
- Brazil legend Pele is improving but remains in intensive care having been admitted to hospital with a urinary infection.
- Safety inquiry after Hughes's death Fri, 28 Nov 2014 07:37:33 GMT
- Cricket Australia will hold an investigation into player safety following the death of Test batsman Phillip Hughes.
- Airport raids tackle cyberthieves Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:54:48 GMT
- Cyberthieves who used stolen credit cards to buy airline tickets are targeted in raids at 80 airports.
- Austria arrests 13 jihadi suspects Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:00:16 GMT
- Police in Austria arrest 13 people suspected of radicalising young people and recruiting them to fight in Syria.
- Thailand backs surrogacy trade ban Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:30:56 GMT
- Thailand's parliament votes to ban commercial surrogacy following international outrage over the largely unregulated trade.
- Xinjiang to hire 3,000 ex-soldiers Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:39:05 GMT
- The capital of China's restive region of Xinjiang will recruit 3,000 carefully vetted former soldiers as guards.
- Russia warships pass through Channel Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:48:45 GMT
- A flotilla of Russian warships passes through the English Channel in what British and French officials describe as an annual visit.
- Gaza floods prompt emergency status Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:04:32 GMT
- After days of heavy rain, the UN declares a state of emergency amid severe flooding in the Gaza Strip, still damaged from the summer war.
- VIDEO: Dancing woman flouts Iranian rules Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:43:38 GMT
- An online video which appears to show an Iranian woman defying Iran's strict laws by dancing publicly on the Tehran metro has gone viral.
- VIDEO: Saving Darth Vader's childhood home Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:13:06 GMT
- When a sand dune in Tunisia threatened to swallow up Mos Espa - the childhood home of Darth Vader - Star Wars fans teamed up with tourist chiefs to take action.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:43:02 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.