"You are the same today that you are going to be in five years from now except for two things: the people with whom you associate and the books you read."
- South Africa and world mourn Mandela Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:30:28 GMT
- South Africans and world leaders pay tribute to Nelson Mandela, who led the transition from white minority rule and has died aged 95.
- Deadly storm lashes northern Europe Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:56:09 GMT
- Hurricane-force winds and tidal surges kill at least seven people in northern Europe, flood parts of Hamburg and leave thousands of homes without power.
- Marine jailed for Afghan murder Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:43:07 GMT
- Royal Marine Sergeant Alexander Blackman has been sentenced to life in prison by a court martial for murdering an insurgent in Afghanistan.
- US jobless rate falls to 5-year low Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:24:13 GMT
- The US unemployment rate fell to a five-year low of 7% in November as firms created 203,000 new jobs, latest figures show.
- Russia and Ukraine seek partnership Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:01:38 GMT
- Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych and Russia's Vladimir Putin hold surprise talks on a "strategic partnership treaty" a week after Ukraine shelved a key deal with the EU.
- Biden urges Seoul-Tokyo co-operation Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:22:27 GMT
- US Vice-President Joe Biden urges Japan and South Korea to improve ties, amid tensions over China's air zone and North Korea.
- French troops in CAR airport clash Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:55:36 GMT
- French troops in the Central African Republic have fought a battle with armed men near the airport of the capital Bangui, it has emerged.
- Italy convicts abducted Egypt cleric Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:31:37 GMT
- Egyptian Muslim cleric Abu Omar, abducted by the CIA in Italy in 2003, is given a six-year jail term in absentia in Milan for terror offences.
- Al-Qaeda claims Yemen ministry raid Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:45:33 GMT
- Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) says it was behind an attack on Yemen's defence ministry on Thursday that left 52 people dead.
- Microsoft disrupts ZeroAccess botnet Fri, 06 Dec 2013 06:46:56 GMT
- Microsoft and law enforcement agencies disrupt ZeroAccess, one of the world's largest botnets responsible for millions in fraud losses.
- Samsung and Philips raided by EU Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:26:06 GMT
- Samsung and Philips are among several consumer electronics companies raided by the European Commission over suspected breaches of competition rules.
- Elton John's Russia gigs to go ahead Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:30:54 GMT
- Russian promoters insist Elton John's concerts will happen this weekend, despite concerns over the country's legal crackdown on gay rights.
- VIDEO: Peru's war on cocaine production Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:32:13 GMT
- Peru has become the world's biggest producer of coca, which is the main component in the production of cocaine and most of that drug comes to Europe.
- VIDEO: Heritage status for Japanese food Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:43:28 GMT
- The United Nation's cultural organisation Unesco has added traditional Japanese food to the Intangible Cultural Heritage list.
- VIDEO: Flight to disputed S China Sea island Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:36:24 GMT
- Humphrey Hawksley joins a Taiwanese coastguard flight to the disputed tiny island of Dongsha in the South China Sea.