"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you."
—Mortimer Adler (b. 1902) American philosopher, educator, How to Read a Book
- US military 'tried to free Foley' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 00:24:47 GMT
- The Pentagon says a US secret mission tried but failed to free US hostages in Syria, reportedly including murdered reporter James Foley.
- Israel PM vows further Gaza campaign Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:34:23 GMT
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vows a continued campaign against Gaza militants, amid renewed fighting between the two sides.
- Silva runs for Brazilian presidency Thu, 21 Aug 2014 00:17:55 GMT
- The Brazilian Socialist Party names environmental campaigner Marina Silva as its new presidential candidate, replacing Eduardo Campos who died last week.
- Khan refuses to join Pakistan talks Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:59:57 GMT
- Opposition leader Imran Khan has refused to join talks to end days of protests in Islamabad, saying they would be "no use" unless the Prime Minister resigns.
- Shakira song 'broke copyright laws' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 01:35:30 GMT
- Colombian pop star Shakira's hit song Loca was indirectly copied from a Dominican songwriter's work, a US federal judge rules.
- Attorney general meets Brown family Thu, 21 Aug 2014 01:02:13 GMT
- US Attorney General Eric Holder meets the parents of Michael Brown, the black teenager killed by police in Ferguson, Missouri last week.
- UN begins huge aid drop in Iraq Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:43:03 GMT
- The UN says it has begun its largest aid operation for a decade as it attempts to reach half a million people in northern Iraq.
- Iceland evacuates area near volcano Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:14:54 GMT
- Authorities in Iceland complete the evacuation of an area close to the country's Bardarbunga volcano over fears of an impending eruption.
- Russia convoy 'near Ukraine customs' Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:49:24 GMT
- Four lorries from a 280-strong Russian aid convoy move into the customs zone near Ukraine's border, a Ukrainian security official says.
- Liberia troops enforce Ebola lockdown Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:21:33 GMT
- Security forces in Liberia's capital deploy to enforce a quarantine in a large slum area in order to contain the spread of Ebola, setting off protests.
- Guatemalan top general dies in crash Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:11:28 GMT
- The chief of the armed forces in Guatemala, General Rudy Ortiz, has died in a military helicopter crash near the border with Mexico, the Guatemalan government says.
- Russia shuts four Moscow McDonald's Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:01:33 GMT
- Russia's main consumer watchdog has shut a number of McDonald's restaurants in Moscow as part of an investigation into food standards.
- VIDEO: Kinshasa suburbs named after major cities Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:35:02 GMT
- Some of Kinshasa's residents have big aspirations for DR Congo - so much so that they have started renaming suburbs with the names of faraway capital cities whose style they admire.
- VIDEO: Yoga guru BKS Iyengar dies at 95 Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:14:03 GMT
- The man regarded by many as the father of modern yoga, BKS Iyengar, has died, aged 95.
- VIDEO: Sad lament of Syrian child brides Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:45:51 GMT
- There has been a sharp increase in the number of girls under 18, who have fled the conflict in Syria, being forced into early marriages, the United Nations has told the BBC.