"If a man writes a book, let him set down only what he knows. I have guesses enough of my own."
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German writer, scientist, master of poetry, drama and novel
- EU's Moscovici wants Greece in euro Sat, 31 Jan 2015 03:37:41 GMT
- EU financial commissioner Pierre Moscovici tells the BBC that Greece belongs in the eurozone, and vows to prevent a "Grexit".
- IS 'chemical weapons expert killed' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 23:50:06 GMT
- A chemical weapons expert working with Islamic State in Iraq has been killed in a coalition air strike. the US military says.
- Army to set up 'social media unit' Sat, 31 Jan 2015 02:34:39 GMT
- The British Army is setting up a new unit that will use psychological operations and social media to help fight wars "in the information age".
- Canadian PM seeks wider terror laws Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:52:48 GMT
- Encouraging terror attacks against Canada will become a crime under legislation proposed by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- DNA tests for babies in Mexico blast Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:08:36 GMT
- Nine babies who survived a gas explosion at a Mexican hospital are given DNA testing so they can be reunited with their parents.
- Ebola-hit Liberia delays schooling Sat, 31 Jan 2015 00:02:44 GMT
- Liberia's delays the planned re-opening of the country's schools, saying they are not not yet fully prepared to prevent the spread of Ebola.
- Venezuela issues new protest rules Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:00:28 GMT
- New regulations are published in Venezuela allowing soldiers to open fire if they feel their lives are at risk during demonstrations.
- Battle rages for key Ukraine town Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:34:40 GMT
- Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian rebels trade heavy tank and artillery fire in and around Debaltseve, a strategic town in eastern Ukraine.
- Saudis shelve blogger flogging again Fri, 30 Jan 2015 22:39:51 GMT
- Saudi Arabia postpones for a second time a further round of flogging against blogger Raif Badawi, whose case caused a global outcry.
- Tamil becomes Sri Lanka's top judge Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:16:01 GMT
- Sri Lanka's president appoints a Tamil judge as the new chief justice - the first member of the country's minority community to hold the post in decades.
- Korean Air chief 'scolded daughter' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:00:21 GMT
- The chief of Korean Air tells a court in Seoul that he scolded his 40-year-old daughter over her now notorious reaction to being served nuts in a packet.
- Woods shoots worst round of career Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:01:51 GMT
- Tiger Woods records the worst round of his professional career with an 11-over-par 82 in the second round of the Phoenix Open.
- AUDIO: 'I lost £18m lottery win by 7 seconds' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:25:22 GMT
- A Canadian man has lost a seven-year legal battle to claim half of a C$27m (£18m) lottery jackpot after the Supreme Court ruled he had bought the winning ticket a few seconds too late for it to qualify.
- VIDEO: The Tibetan monk with 170 children Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:19:47 GMT
- A Tibetan Buddhist monk took in 33 orphans after an earthquake in 2010 - now he is looking after 170 children.
- VIDEO: The 11m 'ghost' residents of the US Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:42:04 GMT
- New legislation in the United States aims to allow some undocumented immigrants to stay in the US and apply for work permits but many are afraid to admit their status.