"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, And all the sweet serenity of books."
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-82) American writer, best-known 19th century poet in US, The Song of Hiawatha
- N Korea seeks joint Sony hack probe Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:51:42 GMT
- North Korea urges a joint inquiry with the US into a cyber-attack on Sony that led to the studio cancelling the release of the film The Interview.
- Afghan Guantanamo inmates freed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:40:17 GMT
- Four Afghan detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison have been sent back to their home country, the Pentagon says.
- Cuba 'will stay on' communist path Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:17:34 GMT
- Cuban President Raul Castro hails a recent move to normalise relations with the US, but stresses that Havana will not change its political system.
- Russians 'will not cave in' to West Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:22:59 GMT
- Russia says it will not "cave in" to pressure, following a fresh set of US, EU and Canada sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine.
- Xi defends 'one-China' idea in Macau Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:02:12 GMT
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges Macau residents to respect the "one-China" policy, amid street protests in the former Portuguese colony.
- Four militants killed in Saudi raid Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:03:38 GMT
- Saudi security forces kill four militants in a raid in Awamiya, in a province with a restive Shia population, the interior ministry says.
- Lockerbie bomber's guilt reaffirmed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:05:08 GMT
- Scotland's top prosecutor says there is no evidence to suggest Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi is innocent.
- Cairns children's mother arrested Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:26:13 GMT
- Police arrest the mother of seven of the eight children found dead in a home in Cairns, Australia.
- Pakistan forces 'kill five Taliban' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:26:56 GMT
- Pakistan army kills five militants in northwest as security is tightened against possible Taliban reprisals for prisoner executions, officials say.
- Liberia holds vote delayed by Ebola Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:08:49 GMT
- Liberia votes in a senate election that was postponed because of the Ebola outbreak, with ex-footballer George Weah among the candidates.
- 'Allahu Akbar' attacker shot in France Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:42:22 GMT
- A man is shot dead at a police station in central France after injuring three policemen with a knife whilst shouting "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is great!").
- Madonna releases songs after leak Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:37:20 GMT
- The singer surprises fans by releasing six tracks from her new album early after songs were leaked online.
- VIDEO: Japan's senior cheerleaders Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:11:53 GMT
- Cheerleading is usually seen as a young person's sport, but the Japan Senior Cheer Association is for women in their 60s and 70s.
- VIDEO: Mexico welcomes migrating butterflies Sat, 20 Dec 2014 03:41:31 GMT
- Millions of monarch butterflies have arrived in Mexico's forests as part of their annual migration from Canada and the United States.
- VIDEO: Month-old cheetahs 'doing well' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:19:55 GMT
- Four cheetah cubs born at Prague zoo in November are doing well, according to keepers.