"If you will protest courageously, and yet with dignity and Christian love, when the history books are written in future generations, the historians will have to pause and say, There lived a great people-a black people-who injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization."
—Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68) African-American reverend, civil rights leader
- Israel to probe UN school shelling Thu, 31 Jul 2014 03:43:12 GMT
- Israel says it will investigate the shelling of a Gaza school sheltering displaced civilians - an attack which prompted US and UN condemnation.
- Race to find India landslide missing Thu, 31 Jul 2014 05:10:55 GMT
- Rescue workers in western India race to locate survivors of a landslide that has claimed at least 23 lives and buried some 40 homes.
- Argentina defaults for second time Thu, 31 Jul 2014 04:10:34 GMT
- Argentina has defaulted on its debt - for the second time in 13 years - after last-minute talks in New York with a group of bond-holders end in failure.
- Drug-resistant malaria 'widespread' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:28:46 GMT
- Drug-resistant malaria is spreading in South East Asia, and has now reached the Cambodia-Thailand border, according to a study.
- House votes to sue President Obama Thu, 31 Jul 2014 04:08:25 GMT
- The US House of Representatives has passed a resolution authorising a lawsuit against the president for allegedly exceeding his constitutional powers.
- Leaders meet to discuss MH17 access Thu, 31 Jul 2014 04:07:13 GMT
- Malaysian and Dutch leaders to meet later to discuss securing full access to the crash site of MH17 in eastern Ukraine, two weeks after the plane went down.
- Portuguese bank in 3.6bn euros loss Thu, 31 Jul 2014 04:28:48 GMT
- Portugal's troubled lender, Banco Espirito Santo, reports a bigger-than-expected loss of 3.6bn euros for the first six months of the year.
- Nato 'unprepared for Russia threat' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 00:52:18 GMT
- Nato is poorly prepared for an attack on a member state by Russia, a group of MPs warns in a report.
- Guatemala buries massacre victims Thu, 31 Jul 2014 04:54:28 GMT
- The remains of 31 indigenous Ixil Mayans, killed in 1982 at the height of the Guatemala civil war, are buried in a ceremony in the country's north-west.
- NZ lawmakers back match-fixing bill Thu, 31 Jul 2014 04:35:58 GMT
- New Zealand lawmakers back a bill making match-fixing a crime punishable by up to seven years in prison, as it prepares to host major sporting events.
- Glazers in £88.7m Man Utd share sale Wed, 30 Jul 2014 23:16:14 GMT
- Manchester United's US owners will pocket about $150 million by selling more of their shares in the club on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Fire rips through Eastbourne Pier Wed, 30 Jul 2014 23:21:48 GMT
- A devastating fire tears through Eastbourne Pier, leaving the structure an "absolute red, molten, mess of flame and smoke".
- US bridge to get anti-suicide fence Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:53:04 GMT
- A major span between New York City and New Jersey will be getting safety fence designed to prevent suicides, after an increase in deaths this year.
- VIDEO: The challenge of tackling Ebola Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:50:15 GMT
- Scientists have been aware of Ebola since the mid-1970s, but so far no vaccine or cure has been developed.
- VIDEO: Sun bracelet measures UV exposure Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:01:37 GMT
- The BBC's Dougal Shaw tests out a digital bracelet designed to help people avoid getting too much sun exposure.