"It seems to me the book has not just aesthetic values-- the charming little clothy box of the thing, the smell of the glue, even the print, which has its own beauty. But there's something about the sensation of ink on paper that is in some sense a thing, a phenomenon rather than an epiphenomenon. I can't break the association of electric trash with the computer screen. Words on the screen give the sense of being just another passing electronic wriggle."
—John Hoyer Updike (b. 1932) American writer, Rabbit, Run, Rabbit at Rest
- North Korea threatens US over Sony Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:39:13 GMT
- North Korea threatens unspecified attacks on the US as it escalates a war of words over the Sony Pictures cyber attacks.
- China investigates ex-leader's aide Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:39:47 GMT
- China launches an investigation into former President Hu Jintao's top aide, state media report.
- Pope Francis deplores Vatican 'ills' Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:54:01 GMT
- The Pope tells cardinals there is a need to purge "spiritual Alzheimer's" and "the terrorism of gossip" from the Vatican.
- Essebsi wins Tunisia president vote Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:28:01 GMT
- Beji Caid Essebsi is confirmed as winner of Tunisia's first free presidential poll, but critics say this marks the return of the old regime.
- NYC police chief backs mayor Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:14:33 GMT
- New York City's police chief backs Mayor Bill de Blasio after claims he had increased ill-feeling towards police prior to two officers being shot dead.
- Fifa holds secret talks with Blatter Mon, 22 Dec 2014 06:55:08 GMT
- Fifa president Sepp Blatter holds talks with executives as concerns grow over future direction of football's governing body.
- Driver attacks French pedestrians Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:59:31 GMT
- A driver shouting the Islamic phrase "God is great" in Arabic runs down pedestrians in the French city of Dijon, injuring 11, French media say.
- NHS to 'unlock secrets' using DNA Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:22:04 GMT
- A new genetics project could help "unlock a series of secrets about devastating diseases" including cancer and rare genetic disorders, the NHS says.
- Spanish princess to face fraud trial Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:40:55 GMT
- The Spanish king's sister, Princess Cristina, is to face a tax fraud trial over alleged links to her husband's dealings.
- S Korea holds cyber drill after hack Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:49:58 GMT
- South Korea's nuclear plant operator is to conduct drills testing its ability to withstand a cyber-attack, after a data leak and threats from a hacker.
- IMF cuts blamed for Ebola spread Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:09:33 GMT
- Spending cuts imposed by the International Monetary Fund may have contributed to the rapid spread of Ebola in West Africa, UK-based researchers say.
- Abbott: House bill cut helped women Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:27:36 GMT
- Australian PM Tony Abbott is criticised for saying that women benefitted from his scrapping of a carbon tax, as they were "particularly focused on the household budget".
- City workers expect bigger bonuses Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:15:52 GMT
- Senior workers in London's financial services sector are expecting an average 21% rise in their bonus payouts for this year, a survey found.
- VIDEO: The history of Christmas crackers Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:39:19 GMT
- Christmas crackers are bound to be a feature of Yuletide celebrations this Thursday, but did you know that they actually date back more than 150 years?
- VIDEO: Tremors endanger Michelangelo's David Sun, 21 Dec 2014 06:40:34 GMT
- The Italian government is to spend around €200,000 (£156,000) on a new plinth for Michaelangelo's David to protect the statue from earth tremors.