"[A] book ... unlike a television program, moving picture or any other 'modern means of communication' ... can wait for years, yet be available at any moment when it happens to be needed."
—Joseph Wood Krutch (1893-1970) American critic, natrualist, writer, The Modern Temper
- ‘Sorry’ ferry captain explains delay Sat, 19 Apr 2014 03:25:00 GMT
- The captain of a South Korean ferry that capsized and sank this week explains after his arrest why he delayed giving evacuation orders.
- US raises Ukraine pressure on Russia Sat, 19 Apr 2014 00:49:41 GMT
- The US threatens tougher economic sanctions if Russia fails to abide by a new international deal to help de-escalate the crisis in Ukraine.
- Pope leads Good Friday services Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:55:54 GMT
- Pope Francis highlights the plight of the poor, elderly and abandoned during the Way of the Cross procession in Rome to mark Good Friday.
- Obama signs UN envoy visa ban law Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:19:22 GMT
- President Barack Obama signs into law a measure that would bar entry to any UN ambassador whom the US says has engaged in "terrorist activity".
- UN outrage at South Sudan attack Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:35:58 GMT
- The UN expresses outrage at a deadly attack on one of its bases in South Sudan, saying it could "constitute a war crime".
- Algeria's president gets fourth term Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:54:31 GMT
- Algeria's President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who suffered a stroke last year, wins a fourth term in office taking more than 81% of the vote.
- Mexico shaken by powerful earthquake Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:44:18 GMT
- A 7.2-magnitude earthquake hits states in south and west Mexico, shaking buildings in the capital, but there are no reports of casualties or damage.
- Everest avalanche kills 12 guides Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:08:34 GMT
- At least 12 local guides have been killed after an avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest, officials in Nepal say.
- Nigeria schoolgirls 'still missing' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:53:11 GMT
- Nigeria's military rows back on an earlier statement that most of the teenage girls abducted by suspected Islamist militants had been freed.
- Tributes for Gabriel Garcia Marquez Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:16:11 GMT
- Presidents and fellow writers pay tribute to Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez ,who has died in Mexico aged 87.
- Pakistan library named 'Bin Laden' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:37:12 GMT
- An Islamic seminary for women in Pakistan's capital renames its library after Osama Bin Laden, the slain al-Qaeda leader.
- Court order halts Brazil match Sat, 19 Apr 2014 02:47:19 GMT
- A Brazilian second division football game is abandoned after 16 minutes, with one team saying they now have a court order to play in the top division.
- VIDEO: Guides killed in Everest avalanche Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:42:26 GMT
- At least 12 Sherpa guides have been killed after an avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest, Nepali officials say.
- VIDEO: Strong quake shakes Mexico City Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:43:15 GMT
- A powerful earthquake has struck Mexico City, shaking buildings and causing widespread panic.
- VIDEO: Kate meets Manly Beach life-savers Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:11:00 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have made an appearance at Sydney's Royal Easter Show, during their tour of Australia.