"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."
—Saint Augustine (354-430) Christian church father, philosopher, bishop
- Anti-austerity party wins Greek poll Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:43:26 GMT
- The anti-austerity Syriza party wins the Greek general election promising to renegotiate the country's bailout in a challenge to international creditors.
- Boko Haram assaults Nigerian city Sun, 25 Jan 2015 19:57:43 GMT
- Nigerian Islamist Boko Haram fighters have attacked the strategically important north-eastern city of Maiduguri, with dozens reported dead.
- Eighteen killed in Egypt protests Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:06:16 GMT
- At least 18 people are killed in Egypt during street protests marking the fourth anniversary of the start of the 2011 uprising.
- WHO vows reform after Ebola 'shocks' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:01:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization sets out plans for reform, admitting it was too slow to respond to the "horrific" Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Ukraine vows to 'calm' fighting Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:45:43 GMT
- Ukraine's President Poroshenko vows to "calm" fighting with pro-Russia rebels in east Ukraine, a day after 30 people died in Mariupol.
- Nisman reporter flees Argentina Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:16:12 GMT
- A journalist believed to have been the first to report the death of prosecutor Alberto Nisman says he has fled Argentina, fearing for his life.
- India and US seal nuclear deal Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:03:40 GMT
- India and the US announce a breakthrough on a deal for supplying civilian nuclear technology, on the first day of President Barack Obama's visit.
- Hoax call made to David Cameron Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:11:02 GMT
- Downing Street is to review security procedures after a hoax caller was put through to Prime Minister David Cameron, Number 10 says.
- Venezuela blocks access to Lopez Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:09:27 GMT
- The Venezuelan authorities prevent the former presidents of Chile and Colombia from visiting jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez.
- Umami taste buds 'key to health' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:07:18 GMT
- A person's ability to taste umami in food is closely linked to their overall health, particularly in older people, Japanese researchers suggest.
- Australia knights Prince Philip Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:15:08 GMT
- Australia awards a knighthood to Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, a year after the honour was re-introduced by Prime Minister Tony Abbott.
- VIDEO: Burmese soldiers under investigation Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:54:18 GMT
- The Burmese government say investigations are continuing into the rape and murder of two teachers last week.
- VIDEO: Birmingham rally after Fox 'no-go' comment Sun, 25 Jan 2015 19:48:50 GMT
- A multi-faith rally partly prompted by a US TV pundit who claimed Birmingham was a "no-go zone" for non-Muslims has been held in the city.
- VIDEO: Australian Open feels like home - Nishikori Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:36:39 GMT
- Japan's Kei Nishikori says the Australian Open feels like "home" ahead of his fourth round match against David Ferrer.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sun, 25 Jan 2015 18:40:35 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.