"There is no reason why the same man should like the same book at 18 and at 48."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- N Korea: Leader's uncle executed Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:57:28 GMT
- The North Korean leader's uncle, Chang Song-thaek, is executed after being purged for "acts of treachery", says the state news agency.
- EU failing Syria refugees - Amnesty Fri, 13 Dec 2013 02:23:38 GMT
- European leaders should be ashamed by the paltry numbers of refugees from Syria they are prepared to resettle, human rights group Amnesty says.
- US captive in Iran said to be CIA Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:50:56 GMT
- An ex-FBI agent believed held in Iran for the last seven years was working for the CIA on an unapproved mission, the Associated Press reports.
- Bangladesh hangs Islamist leader Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:23:16 GMT
- Bangladesh executes Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah, who was convicted of atrocities during the country's 1971 war of independence.
- Tunisia parties 'reach deal' on PM Fri, 13 Dec 2013 05:22:38 GMT
- Tunisia's governing Islamist Ennahda party and the opposition agree in principle on a new prime minister to lead a caretaker government.
- Ukraine protesters rebuild barricades Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:30:38 GMT
- Pro-EU protesters in Ukraine reinforce their position in the centre of Kiev, rebuilding barricades torn down by police earlier this week.
- SA probes Mandela interpreter checks Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:11:36 GMT
- South Africa says it is investigating how a man who used fake sign language at the Mandela memorial was given security clearance.
- Former Icelandic bank bosses jailed Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:32:56 GMT
- Four former bosses from the Icelandic bank Kaupthing are sentenced to prison in the heaviest sentences for financial fraud in Iceland's history.
- Yemen wedding hit by air strike Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:44:26 GMT
- At least 13 people are killed as an air strike hits a wedding convoy in the al-Bayda province of southern Yemen, an al-Qaeda stronghold.
- Mexico Congress approves energy bill Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:39:59 GMT
- The Mexican Congress approves legislation that opens the oil and gas sector to foreign investment for the first time in 75 years, despite protests from opposition lawmakers.
- US House passes two-year budget deal Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:17:46 GMT
- The US House of Representatives approves a two-year federal budget bill with strong cross-party support, making another government shutdown less likely.
- Titan's colossal methane seas Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:38:21 GMT
- The big methane seas on Titan, a moon of Saturn, contain volumes that dwarf all the proven reserves of oil and gas on Earth, say scientists.
- Beyonce puts surprise album online Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:37:10 GMT
- Pop star Beyonce unexpectedly releases her fifth album on iTunes overnight, with 14 new tracks and 17 music videos.
- James Bond is an 'impotent drunk' Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:06:57 GMT
- James Bond drinks so much he's probably impotent and will die young, according to doctors.
- VIDEO: No jail for fatal drink drive teen Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:14:27 GMT
- A teenager in Texas has escaped jail after he killed four pedestrians while drink-driving. Ethan Couch, 16, registered at three times the legal drinking limit following the incident in June.