"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- Police 'foil Melbourne terror plot' Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:08:38 GMT
- Australian police charge a teenager in connection with what they say was an Islamic State-inspired plot to attack a World War One centenary event.
- Many dead in Afghanistan bank blast Sat, 18 Apr 2015 07:53:01 GMT
- At least 33 people are killed and 100 injured in an explosion in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, officials say.
- I will miss Top Gear, says Clarkson Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:05:50 GMT
- Jeremy Clarkson says he will miss hosting Top Gear, in his first comment since he was dropped from the BBC show.
- Three dead in Mexican gun battle Sat, 18 Apr 2015 05:35:03 GMT
- A gun battle leaves three dead on the streets of Reynosa, a Mexican city on the border with the US that has been plagued by drug cartel violence.
- Ukraine rebel leader asserts claims Sat, 18 Apr 2015 05:10:49 GMT
- A senior rebel leader in eastern Ukraine says the Minsk peace deal will fail unless Kiev recognises the independence of rebel-held territory.
- 'One-size-fits-all' on obesity opposed Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:01:16 GMT
- Doctors need to move beyond 'one-size-fits-all' approach to tackling obesity, say scientists in Sheffield.
- Rap mogul 'hit-and-run' video shown Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:13:34 GMT
- A US court releases footage of rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight running over two men with his pick-up truck, as part of a murder case against him.
- Obama appeal to Gulf states on Libya Sat, 18 Apr 2015 00:08:42 GMT
- President Obama says Gulf nations should use their "influence" to help resolve the instability in Libya, warning that military action is not enough.
- Univision cancels Sabado Gigante Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:55:03 GMT
- Television variety show Sabado Gigante, much loved among Hispanics in the US, is to end after 53 years, network Univision announces.
- Russian opposition parties to unite Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:29:39 GMT
- The political party founded by murdered Russian dissident Boris Nemtsov says it will form a loose anti-Putin alliance ahead of 2016 elections.
- Top Iraqi militant leader 'killed' Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:39:45 GMT
- Fugitive Iraqi militant leader Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, a former right-hand man to Saddam Hussein, has been killed, Iraqi officials say.
- Argentina acts over Falklands oil Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:32:59 GMT
- Argentina begins legal proceedings against three British and two US companies for drilling oil near the Falkland Islands.
- VIDEO: 'I was rescued from migrant boat' Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:58:35 GMT
- A 21-year-old student from Eritrea talks about his hopes for the future after being rescued from migrant boat bound for Italy.
- VIDEO: Spending the day queuing in Venezuela Fri, 17 Apr 2015 17:25:02 GMT
- Venezuela has the biggest oil reserves in the world, yet its economy is in crisis.
- VIDEO: Footage of US train track rescue Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:19:52 GMT
- Footage of a man falling from a subway platform in Philadelphia in front of shocked passengers before being rescued by a passer-by, Charles Collins.