"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Afghan contenders sign unity deal Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:25:18 GMT
- A deal to form a unity government in Afghanistan has been signed at a televised ceremony in Kabul, ending months of political wrangling.
- Yemen PM quits amid rebel clashes Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:32:07 GMT
- The Yemeni prime minister resigns after days of deadly clashes between Shia rebels and pro-government forces in the capital, Sanaa.
- Global protests over climate change Sun, 21 Sep 2014 13:44:45 GMT
- Protests to demand urgent action on climate change kick off, with over 2,000 marches taking place around the world.
- Pope decries 'perverted' extremists Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:46:05 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people attend a Mass by Pope Francis, as the pontiff hits out at extremists "perverting" religion to justify violence.
- Moscow rally against Ukraine crisis Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:34:00 GMT
- Tens of thousands of Russians are marching in Moscow in protest against Russia's involvement in the Ukraine crisis.
- Kenya marks Westgate mall attack Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:32:34 GMT
- Kenya is marking a year since the attack by Islamist militants on Nairobi's Westgate shopping centre, in which at least 67 people were killed.
- Turkish troops clear border Kurds Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:42:46 GMT
- Turkish troops fire water cannon and tear gas at crowds which had gathered at the border in support of Syrian Kurdish refugees.
- UK hostage's wife in appeal to IS Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:08:30 GMT
- The wife of a British taxi driver being held hostage by Islamic State appeals to the militants to "see it in their hearts" to release him.
- US calls for EU to 'boost' economy Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:23:03 GMT
- The US Treasury Secretary urges eurozone countries to "boost demand" in order to reduce unemployment and avoid deflation.
- Deadly bomb blast in central Cairo Sun, 21 Sep 2014 09:43:17 GMT
- A bomb explosion near the Egyptian foreign ministry in Cairo kills at least two police officers, security officials say.
- Deadly Egypt military aircraft crash Sun, 21 Sep 2014 13:05:05 GMT
- A military aircraft has crashed in Egypt, killing six crew, state TV reports.
- More celeb 'naked pictures' leaked Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:06:39 GMT
- Kim Kardashian, Mary-Kate Olsen and Vanessa Hudgens seem to be some of the latest victims.
- Miliband: 'No ifs' on Scots pledge Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:19:57 GMT
- Ed Miliband says a pledge of further devolution to Scotland will be fulfilled "no ifs, no buts" amid a row with David Cameron over how to implement it.
- VIDEO: Jude Law: "DRC gone off the radar" Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:19:43 GMT
- During a trip to the troubled region of Eastern DRC, British actor Jude Law called for more international attention to be given to the country.
- VIDEO: Prohibition plans for Kerala Sun, 21 Sep 2014 06:42:32 GMT
- The southern Indian state of Kerala has said it will ban the sale and consumption of alcohol to tackle the problem of excessive drinking.