"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- IS accused of Syria mass atrocities Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:37:17 GMT
- The UN accuses IS militants of war crimes, and the Syrian government of using chemical agents in eight separate incidents in a new report.
- IMF's Lagarde 'under investigation' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:26:14 GMT
- IMF head Christine Lagarde says she has been placed under formal investigation for negligence in a French fraud case but has not been charged.
- US girl, nine, kills gun instructor Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:54:31 GMT
- A nine-year-old girl kills her shooting instructor by accident while being shown how to use an Uzi submachine gun at a firing range in Arizona.
- Nigeria closes schools over Ebola Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:58:21 GMT
- Nigerian schools are ordered to remain shut, delaying the new academic year until 13 October as part of measures to prevent the spread of Ebola.
- Afghan candidate 'may boycott' audit Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:41:54 GMT
- Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah withdraws observers from an audit of votes, threatening to boycott it because of fraud concerns.
- China 'violated Taiwanese airspace' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 04:41:06 GMT
- Two Chinese military aircraft violated Taiwan's airspace on Monday causing jets to scramble, officials say, but Beijing rejects the claim.
- RBS fined £14.5m over mortgage advice Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:05:50 GMT
- Royal Bank of Scotland is fined £14.5m by the Financial Conduct Authority for failing to ensure that it gave suitable mortgage advice to customers.
- Australia ups anti-terror efforts Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:11:28 GMT
- New counter-terrorism units have been set up at two Australian airports, PM Tony Abbott says, amid concern over Australians fighting in Iraq and Syria.
- Lockheed Martin in space junk deal Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:50:44 GMT
- US defence giant Lockheed Martin is teaming up with an Australian technology firm to track space debris that can damage multi-billion dollar satellites.
- Concerns grow over Iceland volcano Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:47:08 GMT
- Overnight earthquakes raise fears that magma from Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano could be heading towards another large volcanic system, scientists say.
- Hormone 'protects premature babies' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:01:09 GMT
- The hormone erythropoietin (EPO) could prevent brain injuries in very premature babies, a study suggests.
- Lessing's library donated to Zimbabwe Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:36:18 GMT
- More than 3,000 books from author Doris Lessing's collection have been given to Zimbabwe after her death.
- VIDEO: India's iconic Ambassador car Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:53:34 GMT
- Sanjoy Majumder reports on the passing of one of India's best known and trusted icons, the Ambassador.
- VIDEO: Kate Bush fans: 'Worth the wait' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:06:48 GMT
- Delighted fans took to their feet at London's Hammersmith Apollo to applaud Kate Bush, as she closed her first concert in 35 years on Tuesday night.
- VIDEO: Cole and Cowell back to take on Strictly Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:30:18 GMT
- The new series of the X Factor is back on television screens from Saturday. Colin Paterson looks at the new judging line-up and the future of the show