"Nothing more rapidly inclines a person to go into a monastery than reading a book on etiquette. There are so many trivial ways in which it is possible to commit some social sin."
—Quentin Crisp (b. 1908) British author
- Thai PM Yingluck to call elections Mon, 09 Dec 2013 06:24:44 GMT
- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra says she will dissolve parliament and call elections, after sustained protests in the capital, Bangkok.
- SA parliament to remember Mandela Mon, 09 Dec 2013 05:40:54 GMT
- South Africa's parliament is to meet to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela, as world leaders prepare for Tuesday's memorial service.
- France vows to disarm CAR militias Mon, 09 Dec 2013 01:26:13 GMT
- French soldiers are to start taking weapons from fighters in the Central African Republic from Monday, by force if necessary, the defence minister says.
- Deadly train collision in Indonesia Mon, 09 Dec 2013 06:29:16 GMT
- A commuter train collides with a vehicle in Indonesia's capital, Jakarta, causing parts of the train to burst into flames.
- N Korea confirms key dismissal Sun, 08 Dec 2013 22:34:33 GMT
- North Korea confirms that Chang Song-thaek, a powerful uncle of North Korea's young leader Kim Jong-un, has been dismissed from his post.
- Somalia aid bodies 'paid al-Shabab' Mon, 09 Dec 2013 03:04:25 GMT
- Aid agencies paid Somalia's al-Shabab militants for access to areas under their control during the 2011 famine, two think tanks say.
- Singapore bus death triggers riot Mon, 09 Dec 2013 04:27:56 GMT
- Police in Singapore arrest 27 South Asian suspects after hundreds of foreign workers take part in a riot sparked by the death of an Indian man.
- Huge pro-EU rally grips Ukraine Sun, 08 Dec 2013 19:33:28 GMT
- Protesters in the Ukrainian capital Kiev topple a statue of Lenin as they call for closer EU ties and oppose a Russian-led customs union.
- US defence chief visits Pakistan Mon, 09 Dec 2013 05:18:49 GMT
- The American Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel begins a visit to Pakistan, at a time of tension over US drone strikes.
- Bangladesh Islamist ordered hanged Sun, 08 Dec 2013 22:16:22 GMT
- A war crimes court in Bangladesh orders prison authorities to hang Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah, months after he was sentenced to death.
- Ruling party ahead in Venezuela poll Mon, 09 Dec 2013 05:11:33 GMT
- Venezuela's governing United Socialist Party wins the greatest share of the vote in Sunday's local elections, the National Electoral Council says.
- Brazil football season's violent end Mon, 09 Dec 2013 02:34:51 GMT
- The Brazilian major football league ended on Sunday with a violent brawl that seriously injured three people, with two big clubs being relegated.
- Prince's South Pole race 'suspended' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 19:14:10 GMT
- Prince Harry and his fellow competitors will no longer race to the South Pole because of safety concerns, the charity Walking With The Wounded confirms.
- Ancient Welsh manuscript goes online Sun, 08 Dec 2013 14:18:08 GMT
- A 13th Century book containing one of the oldest Welsh poems ever written appears online for the first time.
- VIDEO: US gripped by winter storm Sun, 08 Dec 2013 05:32:40 GMT
- A deadly winter storm has left a trail of ice and snow across the United States.