"No man can be called friendless when he has God and the companionship of good books."
—Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-61) British poet
- Israel warns of 'prolonged' Gaza war Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:25:08 GMT
- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu warns of a "prolonged" military campaign in Gaza, amid one of the most intense nights of shelling in the conflict.
- US: Russia 'violated missile treaty' Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:46:18 GMT
- The US accuses Russia of violating a Cold War arms treaty by testing a nuclear cruise missile, saying the breach is "very serious".
- Migrant benefits to be tightened Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:41:40 GMT
- Britain is to cut from six to three months the amount of time out-of-work EU migrants can claim benefits without realistic job prospects.
- UN blacklists N Korea arms ship firm Tue, 29 Jul 2014 03:53:30 GMT
- The UN blacklists the operator of a North Korean ship seized near the Panama Canal in July 2013 with undeclared Cuban weapons on board.
- China regulators in Microsoft visit Tue, 29 Jul 2014 02:28:45 GMT
- Microsoft confirms that officials from the Chinese regulatory body responsible for enforcing business laws have visited some of its offices.
- South Korea sees conscript suicides Tue, 29 Jul 2014 04:51:36 GMT
- Two South Korean conscripts have died in apparent suicides, the military says, weeks after another soldier shot dead five members of his unit.
- Russia plans $50bn Yukos appeal Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:54:12 GMT
- Russia will appeal against a court decision ordering it to pay the biggest compensation package to date, amounting to $50bn (£29.5bn) in damages.
- Qatar 2022 'dismay' at workers' pay Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:25:11 GMT
- Organisers of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar say they are "heavily dismayed" by claims that migrants who worked on their offices are still waiting to be paid.
- LA Clippers sale 'can go ahead' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:11:35 GMT
- A US judge rules that the LA Clippers basketball team can be sold, despite the objections of banned co-owner Donald Sterling.
- MH17 jet 'downed by shrapnel' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:47:42 GMT
- Security officials in Ukraine say the Malaysia Airlines jet downed in eastern Ukraine suffered an explosive loss of pressure caused by missile shrapnel.
- Bankers should 'swear ethics oath' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 21:05:57 GMT
- An oath for bankers should be introduced to raise accountability and standards in banking, says a think tank.
- Coe 'will not run for BBC Trust job' Tue, 29 Jul 2014 02:51:54 GMT
- Lord Coe indicates that he has withdrawn from the race to be the next chairman of the BBC Trust.
- VIDEO: Turkish PM scores football hat-trick Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:28:06 GMT
- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has scored three goals in an exhibition match to open a new stadium in Istanbul.
- VIDEO: Children go out to celebrate Eid Tue, 29 Jul 2014 01:25:29 GMT
- Muslims across the world are taking part in Eid celebrations to mark the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
- VIDEO: Mine 'could threaten Barrier Reef' Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:16:12 GMT
- The Australian government has approved the development of what could potentially be the country's biggest coal mine.