"We know where most of the creativity, the innovation, the stuff that drives productivity lies--in the minds of those closest to the work. It's been there in front of our noses all along while we've been running around chasing robots and reading books on how to become Japanese--or at least manage like them."
—John F. Welch
- Ukrainian forces 'regain city hall' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:27:56 GMT
- The Ukrainian government says it has won back control of the city hall in the eastern port of Mariupol from pro-Russian separatists.
- Japan pact 'covers disputed islands' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:08:02 GMT
- US President Barack Obama restates support for Japan over disputed islands but warns that dialogue - not escalation - is the way forward.
- Korea ferry disaster school reopens Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:57:44 GMT
- The South Korean school devastated by the loss of many of its students in a ferry disaster last week starts to hold classes again.
- Foreigners killed in Kabul attack Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:19:42 GMT
- Three foreign medical staff are shot dead by a security guard at a hospital in the Afghan capital, Kabul, officials say.
- Ecclestone trial begins in Germany Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:07:26 GMT
- Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone appears in court in the German city of Munich to face bribery charges that carry a 10-year jail term.
- Modi in Varanasi as Indians vote Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:23:28 GMT
- Narendra Modi, the politician many expect to be India's next leader, is set to submit his election nomination papers as Indians vote in the sixth phase of their poll.
- Ban blames all Syria sides over aid Thu, 24 Apr 2014 03:02:52 GMT
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon accuses all parties in Syria's civil war of "flagrant violations" of international law over the delivery of aid.
- Facebook earnings surge on mobile ads Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:07:53 GMT
- Social networking giant Facebook reports better than expected profits, as a surge in mobile advertising helps boost its revenues.
- China releases Japanese cargo ship Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:33:01 GMT
- China has released a Japanese cargo ship it seized over a war-time debt, a court statement says, after the Japanese firm paid compensation.
- Canada to drop 'flawed' rail tankers Thu, 24 Apr 2014 03:00:21 GMT
- Canada says it will phase out the type of rail tankers involved in the deadly train derailment in Lac-Megantic last July.
- Debris dismissed in plane search Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:28:25 GMT
- Authorities in Australia say material washed ashore is not related to the missing Malaysia Airlines plane.
- Oldest baseball player dies aged 102 Thu, 24 Apr 2014 02:49:53 GMT
- The oldest former player with Major League Baseball, Cuba's Conrado "Connie" Marrero, has died at home in Havana aged 102.
- VIDEO: Calm returns to Rio favela after riots Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:07:33 GMT
- The BBC's Wyre Davies visits the Pavaozinho complex the day after riots broke out following the death of a young man allegedly beaten by police.
- VIDEO: Andy Murray in tears at Stirling award Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:55:42 GMT
- Tennis star Andy Murray has been awarded the freedom of Stirling in a ceremony which made the Wimbledon champion break down in tears.
- VIDEO: Can Obama perfect the Japanese bow? Thu, 24 Apr 2014 03:27:29 GMT
- President Obama is under pressure to perfect his Japanese etiquette during his official tour of the country.