"To my daughter Leonora without whose never failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been completed in half the time."
—P. G. Wodehouse
- North Korea threatens US over Sony Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:39:13 GMT
- North Korea threatens unspecified attacks on the US as it escalates a war of words over the Sony Pictures cyber attacks.
- Spanish princess to face fraud trial Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:40:55 GMT
- The Spanish king's sister, Princess Cristina, is to face a tax fraud trial over alleged links to her husband's dealings.
- Fifa holds secret talks with Blatter Mon, 22 Dec 2014 06:55:08 GMT
- Fifa president Sepp Blatter holds talks with executives as concerns grow over future direction of football's governing body.
- New York killer boasted to onlookers Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:09:41 GMT
- The man who shot dead two New York police officers told members of the public to "watch what I'm going to do" shortly before the attack, police say.
- NHS to 'unlock secrets' using DNA Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:22:04 GMT
- A new genetics project could help "unlock a series of secrets about devastating diseases" including cancer and rare genetic disorders, the NHS says.
- S Korea holds cyber drill after hack Mon, 22 Dec 2014 04:03:11 GMT
- South Korea's nuclear plant operator is to conduct drills testing its ability to withstand a cyber-attack, after a data leak and threats from a hacker.
- IMF cuts blamed for Ebola spread Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:09:33 GMT
- Spending cuts imposed by the International Monetary Fund may have contributed to the rapid spread of Ebola in West Africa, UK-based researchers say.
- Tunisia candidate refuses to concede Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:25:47 GMT
- Caretaker leader Moncef Marzouki refuses to admit defeat in Tunisia's presidential election after exit polls suggest a win for Beji Caid Essebsi.
- Pakistan arrests over school attack Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:45:44 GMT
- Pakistan's interior minister says police have arrested several suspects in connection with last week's massacre at a school in Peshawar.
- Abbott: House bill cut helped women Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:27:36 GMT
- Australian PM Tony Abbott is criticised for saying that women benefitted from his scrapping of a carbon tax, as they were "particularly focused on the household budget".
- City workers expect bigger bonuses Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:15:52 GMT
- Senior workers in London's financial services sector are expecting an average 21% rise in their bonus payouts for this year, a survey found.
- Austrian crooner Udo Juergens dies Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:41:02 GMT
- Udo Juergens, one of the best-known pop stars in the German-speaking world and winner of Eurovision in 1966, dies at the age of 80.
- VIDEO: Elton and David's social media marriage Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:33:12 GMT
- Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish have officially married, nine years after they held their civil partnership ceremony.
- VIDEO: 2bn euro lottery drawn in Madrid Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:50:23 GMT
- The draw for the world's biggest lottery, El Gordo, is underway in Madrid with total prize pool of €2.5 billion ($3bn)
- VIDEO: Testing out a hoverboard Mon, 22 Dec 2014 00:06:09 GMT
- The BBC's Richard Taylor tests out a hoverboard that uses magnetic levitation.