"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- Greece will not default - PM Tsipras Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:34:29 GMT
- New Greek PM Alexis Tsipras tells his first cabinet meeting his country will not default on its bailout debts, but will negotiate with creditors.
- Apple profit 'biggest in history' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:22:28 GMT
- Record sales of iPhones help Apple to report a first quarter profit of $18bn, the biggest ever quarterly profit for a public company.
- Lebanon fire injures Israeli troops Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:27:07 GMT
- An attack on an Israeli military vehicle wounds four solders near the Lebanon border and the Israeli army responds with shellfire.
- N Korea leader 'to visit Russia' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:57:35 GMT
- Russia says North Korea's has accepted an invitation to visit Moscow, which would be his Kim Jong-un's overseas trip as leader.
- Litvinenko post-mortem 'dangerous' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:04:27 GMT
- The post-mortem examination of Alexander Litvinenko was probably the most dangerous ever conducted in the Western world, the inquiry into his death hears.
- AirAsia body search 'could end soon' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:14:48 GMT
- Indonesia's search and rescue agency chief says the hunt for victims of AirAsia QZ8501 could be called off if no more bodies are found soon.
- Japan condemns Goto hostage video Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:21:06 GMT
- PM Shinzo Abe condemns a "despicable" Islamic State threat to kill hostage Kenji Goto within 24 hours, saying Japan is working for his release.
- US warns of more sanctions on Russia Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:41:23 GMT
- US Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew threatens a possible extension of sanctions on Russia because of the escalation of violence in eastern Ukraine.
- Asylum group 'legally held at sea' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 05:14:37 GMT
- Australia's month-long detention of 157 Sri Lankan asylum seekers at sea last year was legal, the High Court rules.
- Foreigners dead in Tripoli attack Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:26:09 GMT
- Militants attack a hotel in the Libyan capital Tripoli, killing at least nine people including five foreigners, officials say.
- US admits snow forecast errors Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:35:20 GMT
- The US National Weather Service says its forecasting is "subject to error", after predictions of a historic blizzard for New York City fell flat.
- England drives global football deals Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:24:10 GMT
- Football clubs spent a record £2.7bn in international transfers in 2014, with English football clubs accounting for £795m of the total.
- VIDEO: Greece's push for a debt "haircut" Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:07:22 GMT
- Opposition to austerity is at the core of Greece's new leader's agenda but it will also push for half of Greek debt to be written off, bringing it down to a more sustainable level, a so-called "haircut".
- VIDEO: 'I had to survive to tell the world' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:12:29 GMT
- Kitty Hart-Moxon survived two years as a prisoner at the infamous Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz. She spoke to Witness about how she coped.
- VIDEO: 'Holodeck’ recreates crimes in 3D Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:31:47 GMT
- Researchers have developed a virtual reality system that recreates crime scenes as virtual worlds.