"History is a living horse laughing at a wooden horse. History is a wind blowing where it listeth. History is no sure thing to bet on. History is a box of tricks with a lost key. History is a labyrinth of doors with sliding panels, a book of ciphers with the code in a cave of the Saragossa sea. History says, if it pleases, Excuse me, I beg your pardon, it will never happen again if I can help it."
—Carl Sandburg (1878-1967) American writer known for free verse, Smoke and Steel
- Hong Kong leader in protest appeal Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:43:42 GMT
- Hong Kong leader CY Leung urges pro-democracy protesters to "immediately" stop their campaign, as crowds bring areas to a standstill.
- Kurds fight IS on Iraq-Syria border Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:14:07 GMT
- Heavy fighting is reported on both sides of a key border crossing between Iraq and Syria, where Kurdish forces are battling Islamic State militants.
- Thousands of Ebola orphans 'shunned' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:42:57 GMT
- At least 3,700 children in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone who have parents to Ebola this year face being shunned, the UN says.
- Afghans sign deal to keep US troops Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:35:16 GMT
- The new Afghan government signs a security deal with American officials that will allow US troops to remain in the country beyond 2014.
- EU to keep Russia sanctions in place Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:36:46 GMT
- The EU decides to keep sanctions on Russia in place, judging that Ukraine's peace deal is not fully effective.
- White House security plan 'failed' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:47:01 GMT
- The director of the US Secret Service says its security plan was "not properly executed" when a man broke into the White House this month.
- Pakistan plane video man sacked Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:57:20 GMT
- A man who filmed passengers preventing Pakistan's former interior minister from boarding a plane for being late is sacked from his job.
- Spanish official stabbed in Sudan Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:41:49 GMT
- Police in Sudan say a Spanish embassy official has been found stabbed to death at his home in the capital, Khartoum.
- Film workers fast for Indian leader Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:08:37 GMT
- The film industry in India's Tamil Nadu state fasts to protest at the jailing for corruption of former chief minister Jayaram Jayalalitha.
- Muslim NFL player's 'prayer penalty' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:13:19 GMT
- US Kansas City Chiefs NFL player Husain Abdullah is penalised after celebrating a touchdown by sliding on his knees and praying.
- Ireland gave 'state aid' to Apple Tue, 30 Sep 2014 13:50:26 GMT
- The European Commission accuses Apple of benefiting from illegal state aid through its tax arrangements in Ireland.
- Thousands flock to 'anti-Facebook' Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:42:52 GMT
- Ad-free social media platform Ello overcomes a technical setback to continue its rapid growth, but one expert questions its business model.
- VIDEO: The battle to protect gates of Baghdad Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:50:42 GMT
- Iraqi ground forces, backed by air strikes, have been involved in fierce fighting with Islamic State (IS) militants in a town west of Baghdad.
- VIDEO: 'I hid from boulders when volcano erupted' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:37:26 GMT
- A mountain guide who was on Mount Ontake when it erupted speaks about the moment it exploded without warning.
- VIDEO: Hot air balloon descends into cave Tue, 30 Sep 2014 05:23:10 GMT
- An Austrian balloon pilot has succeeded in taking a balloon deep underground.