"There is divine beauty in learning, just as there is human beauty in tolerance. To learn means to accept the postulate that life did not begin at my birth. Others have been here before me, and I walk in their footsteps. The books I have read were composed by generations of fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, teachers and disciples. I am the sum total of their experiences, their quests. And so are you."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Ukraine leader vows peace 'roadmap' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 03:50:53 GMT
- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says a "roadmap" to end fighting in the east will be drawn up, after talks with Russian leader Vladimir Putin.
- Afghan candidate 'may boycott' audit Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:29:10 GMT
- Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah withdraws observers from an audit of votes, threatening to boycott it because of fraud concerns.
- US girl, nine, in gun lesson mishap Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:23:41 GMT
- A nine-year-old girl kills her shooting instructor by accident while being shown how to use an Uzi submachine gun at an firing range in Arizona.
- Brazil holds TV election debate Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:31:16 GMT
- Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff takes part in the first televised candidates' debate of the election campaign, defending her social programmes.
- China 'violated Taiwanese airspace' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 04:41:06 GMT
- Two Chinese military aircraft violated Taiwan's airspace on Monday causing jets to scramble, officials say, but Beijing rejects the claim.
- American 'fighter' dies in Syria battle Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:07:22 GMT
- An American man, believed to be fighting alongside militants in Syria, has been killed, the White House has confirmed.
- RBS fined £14.5m over mortgage advice Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:30:32 GMT
- Royal Bank of Scotland is fined £14.5m by the Financial Conduct Authority for failing to ensure that it gave suitable mortgage advice to customers.
- Australia ups anti-terror efforts Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:11:28 GMT
- New counter-terrorism units have been set up at two Australian airports, PM Tony Abbott says, amid concern over Australians fighting in Iraq and Syria.
- Colombia frees hired killer 'Popeye' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 04:13:56 GMT
- One of Colombia's most notorious killers, known as Popeye, who admitted to 300 murders for drug lord Pablo Escobar is freed from prison.
- New concerns over Iceland volcano Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:47:08 GMT
- The magma from Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano could be heading towards another large volcanic system, scientists say.
- Hollande names new French cabinet Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:02:44 GMT
- French President Francois Hollande names a new government under Prime Minister Manual Valls, dropping ministers who rebelled against spending cuts.
- Fonterra in big China dairy tie-up Wed, 27 Aug 2014 04:56:05 GMT
- New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra announces its intention to take a 20% stake in one of China's biggest milk processors, Beingmate.
- VIDEO: India's iconic Ambassador car Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:53:34 GMT
- Sanjoy Majumder reports on the passing of one of India's best known and trusted icons, the Ambassador.
- VIDEO: How much oil does Scotland have? Tue, 26 Aug 2014 22:29:54 GMT
- Campaigns on both sides of the Scottish independence discussion have been contesting exactly how much oil Scotland might have left in the North Sea.
- VIDEO: Kate Bush fans: 'Worth the wait' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:06:48 GMT
- Delighted fans took to their feet at London's Hammersmith Apollo to applaud Kate Bush, as she closed her first concert in 35 years on Tuesday night.