"It may not seem like much, but think of the consequences. One overdue library book today, the collapse of the universe by the end of the week."
- Search for S Korea ferry passengers Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:31:37 GMT
- Emergency services continue to search for almost 300 people unaccounted for after a ferry carrying more than 460 people sank off South Korea.
- Ukraine military column 'disarmed' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:24:05 GMT
- Ukraine's defence ministry says six of its armoured vehicles have been seized by pro-Russian militants, amid mounting tension in eastern Ukraine.
- First Heartbleed 'hacker' arrested Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:56:43 GMT
- A 19-year-old Canadian is charged with hacking the Canada Revenue Agency's website, becoming the first arrest over the Heartbleed security breach.
- Reeva Steenkamp shot in 'rapid fire' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:06:27 GMT
- A forensics expert contradicts police ballistics testimony by telling the trial of Oscar Pistorius that his girlfriend was shot in quick succession.
- Pakistan Taliban end ceasefire Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:02:44 GMT
- The Pakistani Taliban say they will not extend a ceasefire with the government announced last month, but will remain committed to peace talks.
- Fate of Nigeria kidnap girls unclear Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:00:17 GMT
- Mystery surrounds the fate of more than 100 teenage girls abducted from a school in the remote north-east of Nigeria.
- Jordan 'targets vehicles from Syria' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:49:56 GMT
- Jordanian warplanes have targeted and destroyed several vehicles trying to cross the border from Syria, the Jordanian military says.
- 'Last' Chadian soldier leaves CAR Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:12:21 GMT
- Chad has withdrawn all its peacekeepers from the Central African Republic, an official confirms, after accusations they sided with Muslim rebels.
- Brazil troops guard strike-hit Bahia Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:31:01 GMT
- Brazil sends thousands of federal troops to maintain order in the north-eastern state of Bahia after police there went on strike over pay.
- UN mulls medal for peacekeepers Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:33:02 GMT
- The UN Security Council hears a proposal to create a medal for bravery in UN peacekeeping, to be named after a Senegalese soldier who saved lives during the Rwandan genocide.
- EU approves alien species blacklist Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:47:39 GMT
- The European Parliament has approved new legislation to stem the spread of invasive species such as "killer" shrimp or Japanese knotweed.
- Birth of 'new Saturn moon' witnessed Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:44:31 GMT
- Scientists say they have discovered what could be the birth of a new moon in the rings of Saturn.
- VIDEO: Hunt for 100 abducted girls in Nigeria Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:06:38 GMT
- Security forces in Borno State in Nigeria are searching for dozens of teenage girls abducted by suspected members of the Islamist militant group Boko Haram.
- VIDEO: NYPD shuts down Muslim 'spying' unit Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:50:56 GMT
- A secret New York Police Department programme designed to eavesdrop on Muslims to identify potential terrorism threats has been disbanded.
- VIDEO: CCTV reveals dog as hunted car vandal Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:57:34 GMT
- A vandal responsible for puncturing more than two dozen vehicle tyres in a quiet Cumbrian village has been unmasked as a dog.