"Every burned book or house enlightens the world; every suppressed or expunged word reverberates through the earth from side to side."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Strike on Gaza market 'kills 17' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 17:54:51 GMT
- At least 17 people are killed and 160 hurt as an Israeli strike hits a market crowded with shoppers near Gaza City, Palestinian officials say.
- G7 says Russia faces more sanctions Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:06:52 GMT
- The G7 group of economic powers warns President Putin of further sanctions after Russia called new US and EU penalties "destructive and short-sighted".
- Somali 'killed for not wearing veil' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:58:12 GMT
- Militant Islamists in Somalia have shot dead a Muslim woman for refusing to wear a veil, her relatives say.
- Six dead in Nigeria college blast Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:08:06 GMT
- At least six people have been killed in a suicide bombing at a college in northern Nigeria's biggest city, Kano, witnesses say.
- Dozens trapped by Indian landslide Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:33:09 GMT
- At least 17 people are killed after a landslide buries more than 40 houses and leaves 150 people trapped in a village in western India, officials say.
- US economic growth surges by 4% Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:37:29 GMT
- The US economy grew by 4% in the second quarter, according to a preliminary reading by the US Department of Commerce, beating expectations.
- France evacuates expats from Libya Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:16:09 GMT
- The French government says it has evacuated French and British nationals from Libya, as battles rage between government forces and militias.
- NHS 'can deal with' UK Ebola threat Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:44:37 GMT
- The Ebola virus, which has killed more than 670 people in West Africa, is a "potential major threat" to Britain, the government's chief scientific adviser warns.
- House to vote to sue President Obama Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:32:37 GMT
- The US House of Representatives is set to pass a resolution authorising it to sue President Barack Obama for what Republican leaders describe as his overreach of authority.
- Tight security after Xinjiang unrest Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:42:08 GMT
- Chinese authorities step up security in parts of Xinjiang after dozens were killed or injured in the region's worst violence for months.
- Netflix pays AT&T to ensure quality Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:10:58 GMT
- The streaming video service Netflix agrees to pay US telecoms giant AT&T to ensure its content is delivered to users smoothly.
- Airline apology over drug warning Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:16:53 GMT
- Australia's Jetstar apologises after an attendant on a Sydney-bound flight warned passengers to flush their drugs down the toilet before landing.
- VIDEO: Inside a laboratory battling Ebola Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:11:35 GMT
- Global Health Correspondent Tulip Mazumdar takes a look around a makeshift laboratory trying to battle the Ebola outbreak in Guinea.
- VIDEO: Inside Gaza militants' tunnel Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:50:36 GMT
- Israel says its offensive in Gaza will continue until the extensive Hamas tunnel network is neutralised. The BBC's Orla Guerin was given access by the military to a recently discovered tunnel.
- VIDEO: UK to allow driverless cars on roads Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:56:17 GMT
- The UK government will shortly outline measures to permit driverless cars to use public roads by next year.