"I can tell you, honest friend, what to believe: believe life; it teaches better than book or orator."
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German writer, scientist, master of poetry, drama and novel
- Outcry as IS 'wrecks' Assyrian site Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:17:12 GMT
- Archaeologists and officials express outrage about the reported bulldozing of the ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud in Iraq by Islamic State (IS) militants.
- Dawn probe achieves Ceres orbit Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:45:47 GMT
- Nasa confirms that its Dawn probe has gone into orbit around Ceres, the largest object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
- Harrison Ford injured in plane crash Fri, 06 Mar 2015 11:37:55 GMT
- US actor Harrison Ford is expected to make a full recovery from injuries suffered when crashing his plane on to a golf course in Los Angeles.
- Palestinian driver attacks Israelis Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:29:06 GMT
- A Palestinian man drives into a group of pedestrians in Jerusalem, injuring six Israeli policewomen in what police say was a "terrorist attack"
- EU chief seeks Ukraine truce push Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:58:59 GMT
- The EU's foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini calls for international efforts to make a fragile ceasefire for eastern Ukraine stick.
- Millions at risk from 'Freak' bug Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:05:44 GMT
- Microsoft issues a security warning about a bug that could let attackers spy on supposedly secure communications.
- Taiwan train stabber gets death Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:38:58 GMT
- A Taiwanese court sentences a 21-year-old man to death for killing four people and injuring 22 in a knife attack in the underground last year.
- Kremlin critic Navalny out of prison Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:16:22 GMT
- Alexei Navalny vows not to "step back" as he is released from prison a week after the killing of fellow opposition figure, Boris Nemtsov.
- Alps murders motorcyclist ruled out Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:10:48 GMT
- A motorcyclist who was being sought over the murders of four members of a Surrey family in the French Alps is ruled out of the investigation.
- Gold seized from N Korea diplomat Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:18:47 GMT
- Customs officials in Bangladesh find about $1.7m (£1.1m) worth of gold bars and ornaments in the hand luggage of a North Korean diplomat.
- Austria advises against Klimt return Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:00:05 GMT
- One of Gustav Klimt's most famous paintings should not be returned to the heirs of its original Jewish owners, an Austrian panel has ruled.
- Germany Eurovision entrant withdraws Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:18:05 GMT
- The winner of the search to find Germany's Eurovision Song Contest entrant turned down the chance to represent his country on live TV.
- VIDEO: More women in German boardrooms Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:25:20 GMT
- A law passed in Germany will see 100 of the country's largest businesses appointing more women on their supervisory boards to meet the newly set quota of 30%.
- VIDEO: Clash of new and old in Moroccan music Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:59:04 GMT
- For the BBC's Best Nightclub in Africa series, Radio 1Xtra's DJ Edu travels to Morocco to check out the music scene.
- VIDEO: The cockroach turned into a cyborg Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:35:12 GMT
- BBC Click looks at some of the week's technology highlights