"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Dozens die in Nigeria mosque attack Fri, 28 Nov 2014 23:06:18 GMT
- Many people are killed in explosions at one of biggest mosques in the Nigerian city of Kano, reports say.
- Pope call to combat fanaticism Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:30:40 GMT
- Pope Francis calls for all faiths to enter a dialogue to counter fanaticism and fundamentalism, at the start of a key visit to Turkey.
- Venezuela jail overdose kills 35 Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:53:26 GMT
- Thirty-five Venezuelan inmates are reported to have died after overdosing on the contents of a prison infirmary they stormed.
- Rice wins appeal against suspension Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:05:16 GMT
- Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice can play again after winning his appeal against an indefinite ban issued for hitting his wife.
- 'Anti-government' gun attack in Texas Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:01:36 GMT
- A gunman who attacked downtown buildings and the Mexican Consulate in Austin, Texas, before being shot may have had political reasons, say police.
- Oil prices hit fresh four-year lows Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:52:56 GMT
- Crude oil prices hit a four-year low after the decision of the Opec oil producers' cartel not to cut output.
- Mexican comic actor Chespirito dies Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:43:09 GMT
- One of Latin America's most beloved comic actors, the Mexican Roberto Gomez Bolanos, or "Chespirito", dies at the age of 85.
- Sarkozy favourite in party poll Fri, 28 Nov 2014 23:41:08 GMT
- French conservatives are set to elect their next leader in a poll which could mark Nicolas Sarkozy's return to frontline politics.
- US sees slower Black Friday sales Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:52:52 GMT
- Black Friday is less intense this year in the US after many stores opened earlier on Thursday.
- Back me on migration, PM tells EU Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:04:10 GMT
- British PM David Cameron urges EU leaders to back his "reasonable" plan to restrict migrant welfare benefits, but will "rule nothing out" if rebuffed
- Chinese smokers face cigarette ban Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:11:56 GMT
- Smokers in China's capital are to be banned from lighting up in all indoor public spaces under plans being introduced by the Beijing government.
- VIDEO: Dancing woman flouts Iranian rules Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:43:38 GMT
- An online video which appears to show an Iranian woman defying Iran's strict laws by dancing publicly on the Tehran metro has gone viral.
- VIDEO: Concorde made out of matchsticks Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:31:34 GMT
- A plane enthusiast has spent more than two years creating matchstick models of a Concorde and a Boeing 747.
- VIDEO: Navy doctor trains in inner-city Chicago Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:09:38 GMT
- To prepare for combat injuries, some military doctors look to treating victims of violence in inner-city Chicago
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:44:05 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.