"A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight."
—Robertson Davies (b. 1913) Canadian novelist
- Counts start in Scottish referendum Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:33:05 GMT
- Counting is under way in the referendum to decide whether Scotland should stay in the UK or become an independent country.
- Obama hails Congress vote on Syria Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:48:52 GMT
- President Obama says Congress's backing for his $500m plan to aid moderate Syrian rebels shows the world the US is united against Islamic State.
- Video of British hostage released Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:00:17 GMT
- A new video is released showing a British man, identified as journalist John Cantlie, believed to be held hostage by Islamic State militants.
- Ebola 'threat to world security' Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:15:51 GMT
- The UN Security Council declares the Ebola outbreak in West Africa a threat to international peace and security.
- Ukraine president urges US support Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:47:02 GMT
- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko calls on the US to provide military assistance to his country to counter pro-Russian eastern separatists.
- Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps down Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:14:29 GMT
- Multi-billionaire Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps down to focus on product engineering, as Mark Hurd and Safra Catz are named as co-chief executives.
- Alibaba sets share price at $68 Thu, 18 Sep 2014 22:15:48 GMT
- Chinese online giant Alibaba sets the price of its shares at $68, making it one of the biggest stock market offerings in US history.
- Mayor Rob Ford vows to beat cancer Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:01:51 GMT
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks his supporters and tells them he will beat the rare, aggressive cancer he was diagnosed with earlier this week.
- Ebola team 'found dead in Guinea' Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:26:15 GMT
- Officials in Guinea say they have found the bodies of several people thought to be part of a team of health workers and journalists who went missing earlier this week.
- Archbishop admits 'doubts about God' Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:30:21 GMT
- Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby says he sometimes has doubts in his belief in God, he tells the BBC.
- R&A votes to accept women members Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:34:19 GMT
- The Royal and Ancient Golf Club votes in favour of allowing women members for the first time in its 260-year history.
- VIDEO: 'Home of golf' accepts women members Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:16:05 GMT
- The Royal and Ancient Golf Club in St Andrews has voted to accept women members for the first time in its history.
- VIDEO: London hosts Turner and Constable shows Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:02:19 GMT
- Rivals in life, two of Britain's greatest painters William Turner and John Constable, are the subjects of major exhibitions in London.
- VIDEO: TV forecaster breaks endurance record Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:47:47 GMT
- Eli Kari Gjengedal has broken the world record for continuous weather presenting, with 33 hours on screen.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:16:21 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.