"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- Egypt's Morsi jailed for 20 years Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:32:27 GMT
- Egypt's ousted President Mohammed Morsi gets a 20 year jail sentence over the abuse of protesters during his rule, the first of many verdicts he faces.
- Sunk migrants' boat captain charged Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:46:28 GMT
- The captain of a boat that capsized off Libya, killing about 800 migrants, has been charged with reckless multiple homicide, Italian officials say.
- Japan train sets new speed record Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:54:34 GMT
- A Japanese magnetic levitation train breaks its own world speed record, hitting 603km/h (374mph) on a test run near Mount Fuji.
- Auschwitz guard admits 'moral guilt' Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:51:41 GMT
- A 93-year-old former Nazi SS guard, known as the "Bookkeeper of Auschwitz", admits he is "morally" guilty of aiding the killing of 300,000 Jews.
- SA army to tackle migrant attacks Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:52:24 GMT
- South Africa to deploy army to deal with anti-immigrant violence after wave of attacks, defence minister says.
- Norway jails five over wolf hunting Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:39:49 GMT
- Five men are sentenced to prison in Norway for organising an illegal wolf hunt, in the country's first prosecution in such a case.
- US court issues writ for chimpanzees Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:27:56 GMT
- A judge in New York issues a writ of habeas corpus in a case brought by animal rights activists trying to free two chimpanzees.
- AC/DC drummer Rudd pleads guilty Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:04:58 GMT
- Phil Rudd, drummer with Australian hard rock group AC/DC, unexpectedly pleads guilty at a New Zealand court to making a threat to kill.
- Russian economy shrinks 2% in slump Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:42:29 GMT
- Russia's economy shrank by 2% in the first quarter of this year under the pressure of sanctions and a weak oil price, Russian PM Medvedev says.
- US sends carrier to Yemen patrols Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:20:12 GMT
- The US sends an aircraft carrier to boost its patrols off Yemen, amid suspicions an Iranian naval convoy is carrying arms intended for Yemeni Houthi rebels.
- Bali suitcase murder: US pair jailed Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:15:08 GMT
- An Indonesian court sentences a US man to 18 years in jail for killing the mother of his girlfriend and hiding her body in a suitcase.
- Three dead in New South Wales storm Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:40:27 GMT
- Three people die as storms with winds of up to 135km/h (85 mph) batter New South Wales, Australia, with more bad weather forecast.
- VIDEO: Aden's 'DIY' defence force Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:52:56 GMT
- Orla Guerin reports from inside Aden in Yemen, where poorly armed local militias - including teenagers - are fighting against Houthi rebels.
- VIDEO: Greek residents aid migrant rescue Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:54:30 GMT
- Greek coastguards and locals have rescued around 80 migrants whose boat ran aground off the island of Rhodes.
- VIDEO: Sicily's 'cemeteries of migrants' Mon, 20 Apr 2015 22:29:57 GMT
- Italian coastguards are continuing to search for bodies off the coast of Sicily as hundreds of migrants are feared dead after their boat capsized.