"Life is a library owned by an author. It has a few books which he wrote himself, but most of them were written for him."
—Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969) American religious leader
- Golf Course Provides Oasis For Low-Income Kids Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:07:34 -0400
- All summer long, kids from a gritty neighborhood in Providence, R.I., have been escaping to a golf course and driving range carved out of a vacant lot. At Button Hole, a new generation is learning golf for a dollar a game.
- As Casinos Close, Atlantic City Tries To Pivot Focus Elsewhere Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:07:34 -0400
- Thousands of employees lost their casino jobs with the closure of the Showboat and Revel casinos in Atlantic City. This is the latest development in a painful transition for Atlantic City, which faces greater competition for gamblers from neighboring states.
- 40 Years After 'Working,' A View From The Driver's Seat Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:07:00 -0400
- Four decades after Studs Terkel's famous collection of oral histories was published, Radio Diaries revives one of his interviews with Helen Moog, an Ohio taxi driver and grandmother of five.
- Americans Detained In N. Korea Urge U.S. To Secure Their Release Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:18:03 -0400
- In interviews with CNN and The Associated Press, Kenneth Bae, Jeffrey Fowle and Matthew Miller appealed to the U.S. to send a senior representative to secure their release.
- The Flight Of The Passenger Pigeon, Now 100 Years Extinct Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:15:00 -0400
- Passenger pigeons were once the world's most abundant bird, but they were also the cheapest protein available. The last passenger pigeon, Martha, died exactly a century ago at the Cincinnati Zoo.
- To Model Manhood, Immigrant Dads Draw From Two Worlds Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:55:00 -0400
- Many immigrant men in the U.S. work hard to hold onto definitions of masculinity from their native countries — while also rejecting more rigid gender roles that may be the norm in their homelands.
- Showboat Casino Is Latest In Atlantic City To Close Its Doors Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:08:00 -0400
- The casino's closure will be followed today by the shutdown of The Revel. The Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino will likely close Sept. 16. They are casualties of competition from outlets in other states.
- 151 Years Later, Pickett's Charge Hero Gets Medal Of Honor Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:53:00 -0400
- Wisconsin native Lt. Alonzo Cushing's award caps a nearly three-decade campaign to get the Civil War battle honor through Congress.
- It Might Sound Stupid, But Maybe It Isn't The Economy This Time Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:21:13 -0400
- An oft-repeated bit of campaign advice held that, "It's the economy, stupid." But maybe in this mid-term election cycle, that's not quite right.
- Judge Blocks Enforcement Of Louisiana's Abortion Law Mon, 01 Sep 2014 08:51:00 -0400
- The law requires doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges to a nearby hospital. The judge's ruling allows the law to take effect, but doctors who break it won't be penalized.
- More Evidence That ADHD Drugs Don't Curb Ultimate Height Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:03:14 -0400
- Some earlier research hinted that Ritalin and Adderall can hamper a child's growth. But a study of adults who took the drugs as kids now suggests any such effect is only temporary.
- Librarians Are A Luxury Chicago Public Schools Can't Afford Mon, 01 Sep 2014 04:22:00 -0400
- Librarians are being reassigned to classrooms. In Illinois, librarians must also have teaching certifications, and most have endorsements to teach specific grades and subjects.
- Our Use Of Little Words Can, Uh, Reveal Hidden Interests Mon, 01 Sep 2014 03:17:00 -0400
- When we talk, we focus on the "content" words — the ones that convey information. But the tiny words that tie our sentences together have a lot to say about power and relationships.
- Pretending To Be A Medical Patient Pays Off For This Teen Mon, 01 Sep 2014 03:14:00 -0400
- Gabrielle Nuki hopes to be a doctor someday. So when the 16-year-old found out that she could work as a fake patient helping to train medical students, she jumped at the chance.
- Showboat Casino Closes After 27 Years On Atlantic City Boardwalk Mon, 01 Sep 2014 02:02:00 -0400
- It was one of three casinos closing within the next two weeks as Atlantic City deals with the impact of increasing competition from casinos in neighboring states.