"A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it."
—Edward P. Morgan
- Baltimore Mayor Condemns Violent Protesters At Press Conference Mon, 27 Apr 2015 20:14:00 -0400
- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake held a press conference Monday night in response to violent protests over the death of Freddie Gray. The rioting comes the same day as Gray was laid to rest.
- When The Sharing Economy Brings Unexpected Experiences Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:47:00 -0400
- The number of people using these services is growing fast. Find out what happens when a writer rents out his Mini Cooper and an Airbnb tenant learns something terrible has happened to his host.
- Violent Protests Erupt In Baltimore After Freddie Gray's Funeral Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:34:00 -0400
- Protests erupted into rioting in Baltimore Monday afternoon as police clashed with a large group of youths. Police said seven officers were hurt and at least one was unresponsive.
- Fact Check: Is The Clinton Foundation 'The Most Transparent'? Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:30:00 -0400
- Since Hillary Clinton launched her presidential run, her family's foundation has been scrutinized. The Clintons responded, calling it the most transparent organization of its kind. But is that true?
- 3 Reasons Republicans Might Cheer A Pro-Gay-Marriage Ruling Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:18:00 -0400
- The Supreme Court hears arguments on same-sex-marriage bans Tuesday. And even though Republicans are the traditional-marriage party, they just could welcome a pro-same-sex marriage ruling.
- Economic Impact Of Nepal Quake Likely To Be Massive Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:06:00 -0400
- One estimate puts the reconstruction at more than $5 billion – or about a quarter of the country's GDP. Countries — and relief groups — are pledging to help.
- Competitive Bartender Pours Father's Wisdom Into Signature Drink Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:02:00 -0400
- Bartender Ran Duan will represent the U.S. in a Bacardi international cocktail competition. His specialty? "Father's Advice," a stirred-not-shaken cocktail that's a testament to his hardworking dad.
- Google Experimenting With Patent Marketplace To Combat Trolls Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:50:00 -0400
- Google will allow patent holders to "tell Google about patents they're willing to sell at a price they set." Tech firms have been targeted by "trolls" who own patents and charge them licensing fees.
- Big Aftershocks In Nepal Could Persist For Years Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:27:00 -0400
- Saturday's magnitude-7.8 quake released stress that was building for 150 years, scientists say, and it reshuffled tension to nearby faults.
- California Cemeteries Adapt To Water Restrictions To Avoid Going Dry Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:18:00 -0400
- New mandates in California will limit how much water graveyards can use to keep their grass green. The people who run cemeteries don't want crispy, parched grass to feel like an insult on top of loss.
- Chipotle Says Adios To GMOs, As Food Industry Strips Away Ingredients Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:04:00 -0400
- Chipotle's move is the latest example of the food industry ditching ingredients, as consumers demand a say in what's in their dinner. Some of these ingredients are more questionable than others.
- The Largest For-Profit College Shutdown In History Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:48:00 -0400
- Students say goodbye to Corinthian Colleges ... but not necessarily to their debt.
- Tsarnaev Defense Urges Jury To Spare His Life Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:22:45 -0400
- The sentencing phase in convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's trial continues on Monday. The defense will start making its case that he should not be put to death.
- Stephen Hawking Says Zayn Malik Could Still Be In One Direction In A Parallel Universe Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:22:00 -0400
- Millions of hearts were broken last month when Zayn Malik left One Direction, but according to physicist Stephen Hawking, that might not be the case after all.
- U.S., Japan Announce Updated Defense Guidelines Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:22:00 -0400
- The updated 18-year-old guidelines reflect concern over China's growing influence and North Korea's nuclear capability. They also call for Japan to take a more active role in the Asia Pacific region.