"A book is a friend; a good book is a good friend. It will talk to you when you want it to talk, and it will keep still when you want it to keep still; and there are not many friends who know enough to do that."
—B. A. Billingsly
- Ferguson Killing Inspires Young Black Activists Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:56:49 -0400
- Activists around the country say Michael Brown's death and the police response has strengthened their resolve to fight injustice.
- What Kids' Drawings Say About Their Future Thinking Skills Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:23:00 -0400
- There's a link between how children draw at age 4 and how well they perform on intelligence tests at age 14, researchers say.
- A 'Different Dynamic' In Ferguson, But With 47 Arrests Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:12:03 -0400
- Tear gas and Molotov cocktails were absent in Ferguson last night, as protesters and police avoided clashes that have marred demonstrations over an unarmed teen's death in the St. Louis suburb.
- If You're Born In The Sky, What's Your Nationality? An Airplane Puzzler Wed, 20 Aug 2014 07:03:00 -0400
- Suppose two Chinese parents get on an Australian airplane and, while flying over U.S. territory, they have a baby on the plane. Can that baby be an American citizen?
- Rights Of Protesters, Media Misunderstood In Ferguson Wed, 20 Aug 2014 05:06:00 -0400
- Authorities in the Missouri city are barring protesters and the media from recording their actions, arresting photographers and reporters and insisting that marchers walk instead of stay in one place.
- Two Miles From Protests, Residents Want Calm To Return To Ferguson Wed, 20 Aug 2014 05:06:00 -0400
- If you venture away from the protest zone in Ferguson, Mo., there is an idyllic neighborhood, which doesn't have much patience for the out-of-towners who have joined the protests.
- With Ferguson, Obama Forced To Confront Race Yet Again Wed, 20 Aug 2014 03:36:00 -0400
- President Obama has carefully avoided taking sides following the shooting of Missouri teen Michael Brown, disappointing some African-American observers.
- A Tale Of Two Polls Wed, 20 Aug 2014 03:34:00 -0400
- Two surveys claim to capture the public's view of the Common Core State Standards. But they tell very different stories.
- Gay Rights Movement Tackles Cultural Battle In The Deep South Wed, 20 Aug 2014 03:33:00 -0400
- Same-sex marriage activists are working to win hearts and minds in the Deep South, where they've met the strongest resistance. One strategy is to host informal conversations.
- Ex-Microsoft CEO Ballmer Steps Down From Company's Board Wed, 20 Aug 2014 01:54:00 -0400
- Steve Ballmer, 58, on Tuesday resigned from the software giant's board because of other time consuming commitments including his new ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers.
- NYPD Chokehold Death Will Go To Grand Jury, Prosecutor Says Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:05:00 -0400
- Eric Garner died last month when, as police arrested him in Staten Island, an officer placed him in a chokehold while several others pinned him to the ground.
- Ferguson Update: Holder Writes Op-Ed; City Calls For Nighttime Calm Tue, 19 Aug 2014 19:00:00 -0400
- Attorney General Eric Holder, who will go to the St. Louis suburb Wednesday, wrote that the Justice Department's investigation of Michael Brown's death would be full and fair.
- Gov. Perry Gets Booked At Texas Courthouse After Indictment Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:23:00 -0400
- Following allegations of abuse of power, Rick Perry maintained that he had done nothing wrong. He told a crowd outside the courthouse he would "fight this injustice with every fiber of my being."
- Torrential Rain Swamps Phoenix, Strands Drivers Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:59:00 -0400
- Monsoonal rainfall caused massive flash flooding in Phoenix on Tuesday, turning roads into raging torrents. One area recorded 1 inch in 14 minutes.
- Man With A Knife Fatally Shot By Police In St. Louis, Officials Say Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:33:00 -0400
- The shooting appears to be unrelated to the ongoing protests in neighboring Ferguson, Mo. Police say the 23-year-old, suspected of stealing items from a convenience store, was "acting erratically."