"We know where most of the creativity, the innovation, the stuff that drives productivity lies--in the minds of those closest to the work. It's been there in front of our noses all along while we've been running around chasing robots and reading books on how to become Japanese--or at least manage like them."
—John F. Welch
- Military Moms: A Bond Borne From Shared Loss Fri, 24 May 2013 02:46:00 -0400
- Two mothers whose sons were killed during the first Gulf War talk about how they became friends after their sons' death. The last 22 years would have been tough without the friendship, because, as one tells the other, "what's in our hearts we share."
- Why You Have To Scratch That Itch Thu, 23 May 2013 16:09:00 -0400
- Itch can be a useful warning sign, or a maddening symptom with no cure. But the origins of itch have long been a mystery.Scientists think they've come closer to understanding the origins of itch in a molecule that makes mice scratch like mad.
- Bridge Collapses In Wash. State; People, Cars In Water Thu, 23 May 2013 23:31:00 -0400
- TAn unknown number of people and vehicles are in the Skagit River, and rescue crews are looking for them. The bridge collapsed at 7 p.m., but the reason is unclear.
- Jury Deadlocks On Jodi Arias Sentencing Thu, 23 May 2013 20:19:00 -0400
- The jury that convicted her of first-degree murder earlier this month in the brutal killing of her ex-boyfriend were unable to decide whether to give the death penalty.
- Srinivasan's Confirmation First For D.C. Circuit In 7 Years Thu, 23 May 2013 18:40:00 -0400
- The partisan war over judicial nominees has accelerated in recent years. It took nearly a year to win Senate confirmation for Sri Srinivasan to the important federal appeals court for the District of Columbia, though he had no formal opposition.
- Boy Scouts Vote To Admit Openly Gay Members Thu, 23 May 2013 18:28:00 -0400
- The National Council of the Boy Scouts of America has voted to allow gay Scout members, but to continue a ban on openly gay adult Scout leaders. The policy change would take effect Jan. 1, 2014.
- Head Of IRS Tax-Exempt Division Reportedly Placed On Leave Thu, 23 May 2013 18:12:00 -0400
- Lois Lerner has been at the center of a scandal over the tax agency's targeting of conservative groups.
- Alabama Republican Jo Bonner Says He's Leaving Congress Thu, 23 May 2013 18:09:00 -0400
- The congressman says he will step down in August to take a senior position at the University of Alabama.
- Black Caucus Leader: We Disagree With Presidents, Even Obama Thu, 23 May 2013 17:41:00 -0400
- Rep. Marcia Fudge, the head of the Congressional Black Caucus, says any immigration overhaul significantly boosting the numbers of highly skilled immigrants could negatively affect African-Americans with similar skills.
- Justice Sotomayor Takes Swing At Famed Baseball Case Thu, 23 May 2013 17:23:00 -0400
- The Supreme Court justice and noted Yankees fan showed her baseball acumen Wednesday while presiding over a re-enactment of the 1972 case that challenged the sport's antitrust exemption.
- Breaking Down Obama's New Blueprint For Fighting Terrorism Thu, 23 May 2013 16:56:00 -0400
- In a major speech, the president rejects the idea that the country can fight an opened-ended "global war on terror." In setting his own guidelines, he defines the standards for using drone strikes and again calls for closing the Guantanamo Bay prison.
- For Second Time, Moore Family Loses Home To A Tornado Thu, 23 May 2013 16:53:00 -0400
- The tornado that devastated Moore, Okla., Monday destroyed some 12,000 homes, according to Oklahoma City Police. And for one family, it was the second house they've lost to a tornado in the past 14 years. Rena and Paul Phillips say that the recent loss won't make them move.
- NOAA Predicts Above-Average Hurricane Season Thu, 23 May 2013 16:03:00 -0400
- Forecasters predict as many as six major hurricanes in the Atlantic this year due in part to warmer-than-average ocean temperatures.
- This 9-Year-Old Girl Told McDonald's CEO: Stop Tricking Kids Thu, 23 May 2013 15:55:00 -0400
- Over the years, McDonald's has gotten a lot of flack for marketing to kids. At a shareholders meeting Thursday morning, Hannah Robertson, age 9, took the fast-food giant's CEO to task.
- Boy Scots Vote To Allow Gay Members, But Not Leaders Thu, 23 May 2013 19:23:00 -0400
- Members of the Boy Scouts of America voted on Thursday to allow gay members.